The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

An Open Letter To Peter Karmanos

Another hater....great.

The NHL has been a different game since '06. And believe me, the players he had in Toronto were awful, except for Kaberle. ;)

Not a hater, dude!! Just reality, sat thru way to many losing/boring seasons when Maurice was here the last time. Instead of the "you suck" chants you hear now you would hear "boring, boring" when they were passing too much or just not playing plus "Mo must go" chants every time the opponent scored.

If making the playoffs is truly important to ownership and they feel a shakeup behind the bench is necessary then you look for an available replacement that has won the cup a time or two. NOT to the guy you fired years ago because he just couldn't get the job done (and had 8 years to try).

Technically the game has been different since '06 but at the end of the day it is really simple - you put the puck in the net to score goals. If you don't do that or don't do that enough you lose. Any one can coach a team to lose a game, takes a special one to make them winners.

Well, statistically speaking, Lavi did a lot better this year than Maurice did. And that was without some key players due to injury. However, if the rumors were true, and the players did tune out Lavi early in the season, chances are we wouldn't be in a much better position we are in now.

That being said, Forslund said in the post-game report on Tuesday that he believes some players have already tuned out Maurice, so...

that was the fastest they have tuned anyone out isn't it!!

wow, some of you guys in these threads are pretty harsh, its just a game!! We won the cup in 06, you saw how awesome this game is. Support the team, dont threaten to get rid of your season tickets! I always like to compare with the canucks because Im up here in Vancouver, the team has been mediocre, and horrid in the playoffs since 94, but we sell out every night, there is a wait list for season tickets, why? because of the game!! hockey!! ok, now, I watch the canes play, and they are just out muscled, out hustled on most nights, mostly at home actually. Eric Staal..... lunges at the puck, instead of hitting the guy. We need to just get bigger and meaner, it has nothing to do with the coach. I take a look at our young guys and the boys in Albany, and I like our future, just dont blow it fans by not supporting the team, and not buying tickets, hang in there, go to the games, and enjoy the game, the atmosphere. Dont hate me, its just my opinion. I would love to live down there, you guys get a bunch of rain too, right?

jeff

See, that's your REAL beef isn't it? You're just still PO'd about Mo being hired back. Well with the way these guys were (and are) playing, Lavi couldn't have done anyyyy better. So why don't you just give Maurice a break, huh??

No, it's ONE of my beefs, as the letter states. The contract to Staal and Brindy, the job for Barbie Babchuk (Waaaa! I don't wanna go to Albany!!! Waaaa, I'm tall as a tree, but HITTING somebody might HURT!!). Maurice, regardless of his ability (although I'll point out he was attending night school when we brought him back -- talk about being IN DEMAND, huh??) is just an example of what NO good manager does: hire back his fired subordinate. And I'd be happy to give Maurice a break -- which limb would you like broken? :lol:

:lol:

I'm playing the season on my xbox ( only have up to nhl 07 )..but I traded and got a lot of the 06 team back on my roster...Right now I'm sitting in 3rd and atop the SE...just saying...

I agree, we are in dire need of a big shakeup in a big way!! Something that gets the point across, hey I know - we bring back Laviolette (it keeps with the teams recycling theme)!! And while we are at it how about Big Joe!!

I have a question.

Does anybody know what Lavi's salary was and how long we will pay him? I am wondering if that means we will have to find a discounted coach. Also, does anybody know what Tom Rowe's hockey philosophy is?

I have a question.

Does anybody know what Lavi's salary was and how long we will pay him? I am wondering if that means we will have to find a discounted coach. Also, does anybody know what Tom Rowe's hockey philosophy is?

we owe him 2 and a half years at $2mil I think. We only get a break if he takes another coaching job but not until.

No, it's ONE of my beefs, as the letter states. The contract to Staal and Brindy, the job for Barbie Babchuk (Waaaa! I don't wanna go to Albany!!! Waaaa, I'm tall as a tree, but HITTING somebody might HURT!!).

Yeah, he's only played the best so far out of all our defenseman...he's done a helluva job coming back and proving he belongs here (As Tripp and Johnny explained during last night's game) and I give him a lot of credit for that.

Yeah, he's only played the best so far out of all our defenseman...he's done a helluva job coming back and proving he belongs here (As Tripp and Johnny explained during last night's game) and I give him a lot of credit for that.

then you are easily swayed, where were you in '02, '03, and '04. How much hockey do you really watch?

And how can you say he has done a helluva job, now if we were in first place in the Southeast then maybe but we play long stints of mediocre hockey - anybody can coach that!! We frequently get up to 7-8th place only to get bumped down to 9-10th. I don't consider that any display of coaching skill.

then you are easily swayed, where were you in '02, '03, and '04. How much hockey do you really watch?

And how can you say he has done a helluva job, now if we were in first place in the Southeast then maybe but we play long stints of mediocre hockey - anybody can coach that!! We frequently get up to 7-8th place only to get bumped down to 9-10th. I don't consider that any display of coaching skill.

Uhh the poster is talking about Babchuk here not Mo, and I really hope Babchuk isn't coaching.

On Babchuk this year he has not been the best defenseman the canes have had this year. But he has brought more than I expected this year and I can't complain about his price. If you want to get on JR for a bad defense signing why aren't you all on top of Melichar?

Uhh the poster is talking about Babchuk here not Mo, and I really hope Babchuk isn't coaching.

On Babchuk this year he has not been the best defenseman the canes have had this year. But he has brought more than I expected this year and I can't complain about his price. If you want to get on JR for a bad defense signing why aren't you all on top of Melichar?

Because the team had the wisdom to send him to Albany and then trade him. Moot point, same reason I haven't said anything about Brookbank.

Yeah but getting ride Melichar's and Brookbank's deals cost the canes a 4th round pick. So just because they're gone doesn't mean they weren't mistakes and aren't going to cost the canes in the long run.

But you don't have a crystal ball so there is no telling, Glen Wesley cost us Samsonov but we ended up with him anyhow.

Some quick trivia, and don't cheat and look it up! ;)

But who did the other 2 picks that we gave up for Wes turn into?

Fred and Flintstone!! :lol:

But you don't have a crystal ball so there is no telling, Glen Wesley cost us Samsonov but we ended up with him anyhow.

It costs the opportunity to draft someone that could turn out to be useful. Now there is no guarantee of that and a 4th rounder isn't likely to pan out but you never know. But the chance to get the player is worth something and those deals cost the canes that chance. You can't draft a 4th round gem without the pick.

And the Wesley trade isn't comparable. Wesley was an asset for this organization and the picks were first rounders, not 4th round throw the darts and hope it works out. Not to mention Samsonov was better those first few years than he ever has been since.

Awwwwwww...so close too!!

Wise-a$$! ;)

No, they became Big Joe Thornton, and Kyle McClaren

Rather be a Wise-@$$ than a Dumb-@$$ any day. after i posted i remembered Joe but not Kyle.

It costs the opportunity to draft someone that could turn out to be useful. Now there is no guarantee of that and a 4th rounder isn't likely to pan out but you never know. But the chance to get the player is worth something and those deals cost the canes that chance. You can't draft a 4th round gem without the pick.

And the Wesley trade isn't comparable. Wesley was an asset for this organization and the picks were first rounders, not 4th round throw the darts and hope it works out. Not to mention Samsonov was better those first few years than he ever has been since.

Agreed