The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
colliefan

Every Game A Playoff Game

4th through 10th in the East is very tight. It seems that none of the non-Division leaders can make up their mind on their play. A nice streak could have us comfortably higher in the standings than where we stand now. Philly, Rangers, Canadiens are all slumping real bad right now, and we need to score points. We really need to catch up, and to do that, you do have to approach these games with greater intensity and circumspection than our team has used to this point. If the Canes skate out there with the whatever happens attitude, we're doomed to remain out of the picture.

Of the remaining games are split about half/hallf with teams that are in the playoffs and those who are out of the hunt; the Canes need to win all the games with those who are out of the hunt and have a split with those that are in the hunt with three of the losses being in OT or the SO. The Canes clearly have the talent to pull off this feat; the question is if they have the will.

Look, I would really like to see the Canes make the playoffs......but.......they just.....don't..... have......the scoring talent!!! I've watched hockey for about 40 years now and seen many teams......they fixed the defense last summer which was commendable....but the forwards are all GRINDERS :o .....Stahl is ok...if somebody can pass him the puck....watch him cross the blueline....he consistently turns the puck over....and over again.....but whitney,samsonov and cullen are the playmakers. They don't have anyone else to put the puck in the net. Not just shots....but the TALENT to put it in the net.

Brindamour has to retire after this season....he should have after last season....his body is gone, give him credit for a great great career. But it's like Wesley and Hedican last year......

Look, I would really like to see the Canes make the playoffs......but.......they just.....don't..... have......the scoring talent!!! I've watched hockey for about 40 years now and seen many teams......they fixed the defense last summer which was commendable....but the forwards are all GRINDERS :o .....Stahl is ok...if somebody can pass him the puck....watch him cross the blueline....he consistently turns the puck over....and over again.....but whitney,samsonov and cullen are the playmakers. They don't have anyone else to put the puck in the net. Not just shots....but the TALENT to put it in the net.

Brindamour has to retire after this season....he should have after last season....his body is gone, give him credit for a great great career. But it's like Wesley and Hedican last year......

While I'm not old enough to have watched Hockey for 40 years....I have watched it since the 1970s. I disagree with your assertions about our lack of talent at forward. I think we have yet to find proper chemistry among the talented forwards that we possess. I like the Ruutu/Staal/Samsonov line. I also think there is a great deal of chemistry between Bayda/Sutter. LaRose, Cullen, Whitney and the rest have to be sorted out. So far, I don't think Mo or his Lavi was able to find the proper chemistry. Someone said it best during the early part of the season: "Its like they're playing for themselves, or their name, and not the team." I can agree with that, however, to say that we lack offensive talent is a tad pessimistic.

Of the remaining games are split about half/hallf with teams that are in the playoffs and those who are out of the hunt; the Canes need to win all the games with those who are out of the hunt and have a split with those that are in the hunt with three of the losses being in OT or the SO. The Canes clearly have the talent to pull off this feat; the question is if they have the will.

I think you're dreaming.......nothing wrong with that........lol.....but they DO NOT HAVE THE TALENT. We maybe have two professional NHL caliber lines....barely.

There won't be any streak.....forget about it....they will be lucky to finish 10th overall in the conference.

While I'm not old enough to have watched Hockey for 40 years....I have watched it since the 1970s. I disagree with your assertions about our lack of talent at forward. I think we have yet to find proper chemistry among the talented forwards that we possess. I like the Ruutu/Staal/Samsonov line. I also think there is a great deal of chemistry between Bayda/Sutter. LaRose, Cullen, Whitney and the rest have to be sorted out. So far, I don't think Mo or his Lavi was able to find the proper chemistry. Someone said it best during the early part of the season: "Its like they're playing for themselves, or their name, and not the team." I can agree with that, however, to say that we lack offensive talent is a tad pessimistic.

Please...just look at the scoring stats.....where we rank in goals......points.....etc. etc. The numbers do not lie. If Ruuto is third on our team in scoring.....that will tell you quite a bit. We have maybe....two months left.......and we're talking about line chemistry.....omg........I don't know....maybe it's the coaching or something else....but if we finish 10th in the conference....I think that would be a victory this year....and rebuild the forward lines over the summer.....and by the way...I"m not pessimistic.....but realistic.......

Next Sunday will tell us all we need to know

After tomorrow's tilt with Buffalo and Florida plays the Caps....

We play Boston, Isles, Tampa and the Avs

Panthers play New Jersey, Chicago and Boston

Buffalo plays the Leafs, Flyers and Rangers

We should have a much clearer picture going into the trade deadline after next weekend

Guess the "every game is a playoff game" idea will just have to be put on hold until tomorrow...and don't be surprised if the team hands in another raincheck then too.

Maybe JR will actually do something if we get blown out again....

Guess the "every game is a playoff game" idea will just have to be put on hold until tomorrow...and don't be surprised if the team hands in another raincheck then too.

Get ready for 4 in a row. Unless Seidenberg can get the hat trick..... ;)

The one "good" thing is the Pens are playing as poorly as the Canes in the battle for he 9th spot. After tonight's loss, put the first nail in the Canes playoff coffin

lets face it. there is no point in talking about playoffs anymore. its time to trade away the guys we can to true cup contenders and hope for a good draft pick during the off season. in my opinion, winning any games from now on will only hinder us. hopefully, management will realize all this before the deadline.

I agree. Clean house. 16-8-3 with the following on the remainder of the schedule. Buff-3, NJ-3, Wash-3, Rangers-2, Boston, Calgary, Dallas, Chicago. I can easily see 8 losses against those teams and i'm sure will will play a few games with our patented no desire and lose a few against some of the others on the schedule. NYI-3, TB-2, OTT-2, Col, Pit, Atl, Florida. Come March 3, its time JR. Clean house. This group has shown us for three years in a row that it is not going to happen. Keep this same nucleus and we will be discussing the same thing this time next year.

25 games left an need 33 points to "get into" the playoffs so a 15 -7-3 will enable the Canes to achieve this level. The question is which Canes we will see on an ongoing basis: the team we saw last night or the team we saw against the Blue Jackets and Kitty Kats? How the Pens respond to their coaching changes adds another factor into the playoff chase.

I notice in the Canes management's attempt to rent corporate suites rentals are assured of playoff priority. In a way, I hope the Canes are eliminated early so us STH are not hit up for playoff tickets come early to mid-March. Should the Canes find a way to loose to the Bolts, look for STH to attempt to regain some of their investment on one of the resale sites.

You can look at almost every postgame quote video from January and February and see the players saying that every game is a playoff game. With that said, why aren't they playing like its the playoffs? Why isn't Mo ripping new *EDIT* in the locker room? All we hear from the Coach and GM is how close the games are and that Carolina is playing well - are they delusional? Is Mo standing behind the bench talking to the voices in his head or actually coaching the team? Getting outscored 15-2 in your last three home games sounds like he doesn't coach *EDIT*! Its time someone within the organization starts being realistic with everyone - players, media, fans... I would love to hear someone say that the team isn't playing without heart and consistency and challenge their teammates to raise their game.

On a side note, when the hell is Mo going to play Leighton? Last time I checked Cam wasn't superhuman, all these starts have to be wearing him down somewhat. We've got a great backup, lets give him some starts and see how the defense responds.

You can look at almost every postgame quote video from January and February and see the players saying that every game is a playoff game. With that said, why aren't they playing like its the playoffs? Why isn't Mo ripping new assholes in the locker room? All we hear from the Coach and GM is how close the games are and that Carolina is playing well - are they delusional? Is Mo standing behind the bench talking to the voices in his head or actually coaching the team? Getting outscored 15-2 in your last three home games sounds like he doesn't coach *edit*! Its time someone within the organization starts being realistic with everyone - players, media, fans... I would love to hear someone say that the team isn't playing without heart and consistency and challenge their teammates to raise their game.

On a side note, when the hell is Mo going to play Leighton? Last time I checked Cam wasn't superhuman, all these starts have to be wearing him down somewhat. We've got a great backup, lets give him some starts and see how the defense responds.

I couldn't agree with you more on Leights need to play,,maybe 5 or 6 in a row and see how he/they play together. Seems to me the team has lost confidence in Cam.

Of the next six games, all but one are against teams out of the playoff race. If the Canes do not go 5-1 in this span - losing, where else, but at home to the Slugs - they do not deserve to reach the playoffs.

I couldn't agree with you more on Leights need to play,,maybe 5 or 6 in a row and see how he/they play together. Seems to me the team has lost confidence in Cam.

I think it's more that the team waits to see which Cam is going to show up. In Buffalo, they played hard throughout because he was "on." After the 2nd Bruins goal on Tues, the team did not play as hard again, they figured whatever they did, the Bruins would just get a softie or 2 or 3 back.

I see Cam as the starting goalie and best goalie on the team, but I would like Leighton to get more time, maybe every 4th game.

With the games against the Slugs, Isles, and the Bolts the Canes may have turned the corner and become a contender. With the exception of the last five minutes of the Bruins, they were playing the best team in the league on an even basis. Hope the play of the Canes tonight continues on Sunday.