The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
softballmom

Raleigh Possible 2012 NHL All Star Game

How can they put the ASG in Pheonix if the NHL does not know if there will even be a team there? What has Pheonix done to help the fan base in the NHL?

It just does not make sense.

I think the emphasis should be put on what the NHL can do to help the fan base in Phoenix. An All-Star game will be their best opportunity to attract new fans.

Explain why you believe this is so?

Because the host city has to have more than just the venue itself to entertain all the people that come to this event. The NHL sends it's top brass, most of the owners and their "people" come into town, plenty of celebrities, retired players, Hall of Famers, media from all over the world, tons from all over Canada, major NHL sponsors and fans from all around the league (the best part IMO).

In addition to the actual game, skills competition and young guns game, there are various parties and receptions by the top NHL sponsors that are hosted in the surrounding hotels and big restaurants. Outside of Glenwood Ave and RTP, which would require shuttling people to and from the RBC for events, there isn't any area of Raleigh that provides access to all of this and we're all aware of the lack of public transportation to the RBC for the visiting fans.

I've been to an AllStar game and the whole weekend I kept thinking that Raleigh is not ready for all this. They cant even get a sports bar to re-open where Damons was so I doubt they've made much progress with the proposed plan called "Wade". (Although I've heard that someone did buy the Damon's property). Cary has built a five-star hotel which is in close proximity to the RBC but other than that, there are few choices for entertainment, and what we do have is scattered throughout the downtown and outskirts and will pose logistics problems.

What we do have going for us is that the airport is very close to the RBC center and hotels that would probably house most of the visitors, and the vast parking lots and land around the RBC make for a great area for the red carpet, live bands, carnival and any outdoor event they can come up with.

Gary Bettman did confirm that he promised Raleigh an Allstar game on his radio show and said we're next in line after Phoenix (who missed theirs), but on the condition that area built up the necessary pieces needed to house such an event.

We had this discussion last year too and sadly, little has moved forward with the plans for around the arena:

http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index.php?showtopic=11610&st=0' target="_blank">http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index...=11610&st=0[/post]

oh. :blink:

Guess we in eastern NC look to Raliegh as "the big city"

Nuff said.

Because the host city has to have more than just the venue itself to entertain all the people that come to this event. The NHL sends it's top brass, most of the owners and their "people" come into town, plenty of celebrities, retired players, Hall of Famers, media from all over the world, tons from all over Canada, major NHL sponsors and fans from all around the league (the best part IMO).

In addition to the actual game, skills competition and young guns game, there are various parties and receptions by the top NHL sponsors that are hosted in the surrounding hotels and big restaurants. Outside of Glenwood Ave and RTP, which would require shuttling people to and from the RBC for events, there isn't any area of Raleigh that provides access to all of this and we're all aware of the lack of public transportation to the RBC for the visiting fans.

I've been to an AllStar game and the whole weekend I kept thinking that Raleigh is not ready for all this. They cant even get a sports bar to re-open where Damons was so I doubt they've made much progress with the proposed plan called "Wade". (Although I've heard that someone did buy the Damon's property). Cary has built a five-star hotel which is in close proximity to the RBC but other than that, there are few choices for entertainment, and what we do have is scattered throughout the downtown and outskirts and will pose logistics problems.

What we do have going for us is that the airport is very close to the RBC center and hotels that would probably house most of the visitors, and the vast parking lots and land around the RBC make for a great area for the red carpet, live bands, carnival and any outdoor event they can come up with.

Gary Bettman did confirm that he promised Raleigh an Allstar game on his radio show and said we're next in line after Phoenix (who missed theirs), but on the condition that area built up the necessary pieces needed to house such an event.

We had this discussion last year too and sadly, little has moved forward with the plans for around the arena:

http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index.php?showtopic=11610&st=0' target="_blank">http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index...=11610&st=0[/post]

Raleighs not ready, it may have been in 3-4 years if the economy didnt hit the skids. Hopefully they clean up the dirt lot next to the convention center before the NHL personnel visit. I can imagine the same people that whine about no all-star game in Raleigh are the same ones who whine any time Raleigh tries to invest in infrastructure.

I suppose some of the buildings on the Fairgrounds could be retro-fitted to host some of the events; but one is talking major $$$ in a down economy. Perhaps we can get some of the bail-out money for these tasks.

Ready or not, I don't think I could stand all the "southeners don't know hockey" The south is no place for an all star game" comments.....that's what peolpe are gonna be saying/thinking

Ready or not, I don't think I could stand all the "southeners don't know hockey" The south is no place for an all star game" comments.....that's what peolpe are gonna be saying/thinking

well, there was all star game in Atlanta.

I have been monitoring these boards for years and have never registered. However, this topic has driven me to do so. For all you Canadiens (TSA) and northerners (NY whatever), please state your basis for why Raleigh can not handle the All Star game?? <_<

I have been monitoring these boards for years and have never registered. However, this topic has driven me to do so. For all you Canadiens (TSA) and northerners (NY whatever), please state your basis for why Raleigh can not handle the All Star game?? <_<

Hi, I'm not Canadian and you can read my post 7 above yours as to why I think Raleigh isnt ready yet.

It has nothing to do with being located in the South and everything to do poor logistics and not having the infrastructure in place to accomadate such an undertaking at this time. If the city planners, developers and land owners get it together and move forward with all the proposed construction of the surrounding areas adjacent to the RBC sports complex, then they'll have something to make their case for hosting such a internationally publicized event.

I thought Atlanta did a great job with the event last year because they have a defined downtown with plenty of hotels and restaurants all within walking distance of the CNN Center and Philips Arena. They also have MARTA, a very clean and user friendly rapid transit system that has a stop right at the arena for those not wanting to drive into the city. There were different things to do and see all within walking distance of all the venues hosting the weekend events.

Welcome to the board. :)

Silly people, there's NOT going to be an nhl all star game in existence come 2012. The arguments for getting rid of the shenanigan are growing louder and gaining more support; I just highly doubt that the thing will make it another four seasons.

EDIT: Plus, TSA is absolutely right in saying that this city isn't ready...we're not Atlanta, or Dallas, or Montreal, or even Phoenix...we don't have that much to offer in terms of entertainment or excitement. Yes, we're growing and already have become a large city, but the fact is that we're not by any means a big enough metropolitan area yet, especially when it comes to having the substantial tourism sector in place that's needed to host events like this. I just can't see us pulling off an all star weekend, at least not a good one.

So maybe I am uneducated about the impact of the NHL All Star game. I mean we are not looking to host the Olympics here! No offense for our beloved sport, but I find it hard to believe we do not have the infrastructure and capabilities to accomodate the event. Call me stupid I just do not see it!

Silly people, there's NOT going to be an nhl all star game in existence come 2012. The arguments for getting rid of the shenanigan are growing louder and gaining more support; I just highly doubt that the thing will make it another four seasons.

EDIT: Plus, TSA is absolutely right in saying that this city isn't ready...we're not Atlanta, or Dallas, or Montreal, or even Phoenix...we don't have that much to offer in terms of entertainment or excitement. Yes, we're growing and already have become a large city, but the fact is that we're not by any means a big enough metropolitan area yet, especially when it comes to having the substantial tourism sector in place that's needed to host events like this. I just can't see us pulling off an all star weekend, at least not a good one.

I understand we're not able to host it, and I agree with what has been said above, the only thing that grates on my nerves is that they promised us an all star game a long time ago, back when the RBC was new and sold out and everyone was excited that we had hockey here.. we got the 02 draft as a "consolation" prize and other than producing Alex Ovechkin it wasnt that big of a deal.. in the years since then they keep telling us we will get an All Star game, but we never will.. If its because of not enough hotels and stuff thats fine, but the league has been pushing this pipe dream since 2000 and then telling us no.

We do have one advantage over Pheonix, we've won a Stanley cup and they havent. Granted being a bigger city I'm sure they have more infrastructure then we do and yet they keep getting the snub also. I think it would be a great way to create a hockey buzz in a non traditional market, but apparently the league would rather keep it in places like Edmonton, Montreal and Detroit.

I want an All Star Game here for selfish reasons, but I'm unsure if Raleigh has all of the facilities the league would be looking for.

What I think the league needs is a new facility in Toronto that has a retractable roof. The ASG could be played there every year. As popular as the Winter Classic has been, it's obvious that there is interest in having hockey played outdoors. Canada would be the place to put a facility like that. There would be plenty of use for it other than the NHL with all of the tournaments for juniors, etc.

ASG and Winter Classics basically pump money into the economy in whatever city hosts it. If they were to build a facility like that in Toronto it would be giving money every year to a city that is at the top for money making as far as hockey goes.

I can see them giving the ASG to Phoenix in '11 if they are still around to try and help them out...why not do the same thing here? We'd still have 3 years to get ready for it....I'll definitely be keeping my fingers crossed.

All star game weekend is during ACC basketball season.....that can be one of "the entertainment" venues. Heck, have a State play an early afternoon game and then do the big switch over for one of the hockey venues later. It's been done before for 'Canes games. We have a number of art centers around the triangle that can be pre-booked w/ cultural events, all are within driving or shuttling distance ...just like getting around a sprawling city like Phoenix (HUGE!!). These are off the top of my head.

Major drawbacks: absolutely no businesses surrounding the RBC. Mainly restaurants. This is a must!

northerner? I was born and raised in Johnston County and can tip a cow like youve never seen. Have you ever been anywhere outside of NC? I like the idea of a basketball game intertwined with the event, NC State vs UNC or Duke, unfortunately it has the possibility of overshadowing the main event but you should showcase what the area has to offer.

northerner? I was born in raised in Johnston County and can tip a cow like youve never seen. Have you ever been anywhere outside of NC? I like the idea of a basketball game intertwined with the event, NC State vs UNC or Duke, unfortunately it has the possibility of overshadowing the main event but you should showcase what the area has to offer.

We need to get some northerners down here and show them the best Snipe hunting available in the world. That alone should get us an ASG.

RBC is surrounded by a football stadium, practice fields, high school, corporate park and some apartment buildings. There is a lot of empty space for parking and events. They are developing a new plaza down the street from RBC and another hotel that is expected to be the tallest tower in Raleigh on the corner of Edwards Mill and Glenwood. North Hills has a new development going on as well as a several downtown.

I think we can easily host a NHL All Star Game. NC State has had sold out football games during the State Fair with concerts following the game at the RBC Center. NHL All Star game isn't like the Super Bowl or the NCAA Final Four Basketball Tournament or a top seed BCS Bowl Game.

Attendance has grown this year in the NHL but that is due to deep discounts and give-aways. We will be an excellent host and people might be surprised how Raleigh would embrace the opportunity.

Heck, we're not even Charlotte. Ive heard on TV, possibly during Panthers games, that Charlotte is the 20th largest metropolitan area in the US. Raleigh is not that big, or exciting so unless some major changes take place in the city (which I doubt will happen due to the economy) I'm not seeing it happen in 2012.

I don't think people give Raleigh enough credit, even those who live here. If they want the ASG here in Raleigh I am sure they could get it to work by 2012, that's nearly 4 years away, plenty of time to plan and prepare. There are now several 5 star hotels in Raleigh that have been recently built, including the new convention center down town with the shimmering wall; plenty of sports events to keep the masses entertained while they are not doing hockey related events. Put some bus routes to and from downtown to the arena, a very short trip later and your there. It may not be Montreal or Toronto, but it can work.

Raleigh has reached all of the goals put in place by the NHL to host the event, so lets do et.