The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
wizard-13

Michael Leighton

Leighton surely didn't look that good last night in relief...so Cam it is for me in the big games...which is almost all of them now.

I agree

he flops around like a fish out of water sometimes and does not have good rebound control

He gave up 1 goal???? Should he have scored also?

yea but, was giving up (only) 1 goal the result of Leighton's fantastic netminding skills or more because the rest of the team picked up their game and didn't give up as many solid scoring chances? I got nothing against Leighton but I can't remember any stand-out saves either.

Leighton didn't look fundamentally solid after replacing Cam the other night. Also, typically when he has his mop up duty the opposing team is not pressing offensivly since they usually have a decent lead and start playing more defensive.

Leighton is a decent backup. By no means is he a Craig Anderson. I will say this again Grahame was a decent backup with as many blunders as Leighton has already had. Remember that stretch where Grahame was #1 while Ward went down cause of a laceration? I think the season after Leighton's contract is up we should sign him to a AHL contract. Allow him to be the rats #1 and with them with a solid goalie, it would help develop the prospects a bit better.

that is the life of a back up goalie, to come in to give the #1 some rest

Leighton's last two "game's played in" and 3 of his last 4 have been in relief of Ward.. thats not exactly giving Cam a rest, since he is pissed off on the bench breaking sticks.

Before the San Jose game, Leighton's last start was Dec 23rd. He played "in" 1 game in Jan. 1. total.. and that was a relief stint.. he played less then 2 periods, allowed 2 goals but Cam still took the loss. If it werent for 1 goal allowed in 20 minutes becoming 3.0 GAA, Leightons stats would probably be better then Cam's.

Cam has started every game (except 1 vs San Jose) since december 24th.

yea but, was giving up (only) 1 goal the result of Leighton's fantastic netminding skills or more because the rest of the team picked up their game and didn't give up as many solid scoring chances?

This is the "What came first, the chicken or the egg" question of hockey. In football, the QB gets too much credit when they win and too much blame when they lose. Goalies are the same way.

I still think Smiling Bob would be a great goalie. No problem with letting in softies.

I whole heartedy disagree with the OP

Leighton belongs on the pine. End of story. And I am usually one who favors a 60-40 split over the 78 games Brodeur method.

For all his weaknesses Cam is still the far superior Goalie and it has pretty much been do or die since New Years.

He gave up 1 goal???? Should he have scored also?

As some of the others have mentioned, he might have only given up one goal, but he looked off..especially in the opening minutes when the Sens hit two posts and had him down on several other chances. So It could have been much worse; his play just didn't inspire any confidence in terms of his ability.

Cam is our guy folks...love it or hate it (or maybe lump it, per Sidney Crosby). I don't mind seeing Leighton every now and then in games that don't hold as much importance, but unfortunately we haven't had any of those games in a while (and won't have any for that matter) because of where the team has put themselves...fighting for the playoffs every single night. Every game counts now for us...so I'm always going to defer to Ward because of that.

Maybe if we had already secured our playoff spot...or maybe if Leighton had actually looked good in some of his recent outings/play off the bench, then I could see him getting the nod these days. But we haven't had either of these happen.

So Cam it is.

As some of the others have mentioned, he might have only given up one goal, but he looked off..especially in the opening minutes when the Sens hit two posts and had him down on several other chances. So It could have been much worse; his play just didn't inspire any confidence in terms of his ability.

Cam is our guy folks...love it or hate it (or maybe lump it, per Sidney Crosby). I don't mind seeing Leighton every now and then in games that don't hold as much importance, but unfortunately we haven't had any of those games in a while (and won't have any for that matter) because of where the team has put themselves...fighting for the playoffs every single night. Every game counts now for us...so I'm always going to defer to Ward because of that.

Maybe if we had already secured our playoff spot...or maybe if Leighton had actually looked good in some of his recent outings/play off the bench, then I could see him getting the nod these days. But we haven't had either of these happen.

So Cam it is.

So Cam is our guy....Since he has been our STARTING goaltender we haven't made the playoffs. Maybe we need a new GUY.

So Cam is our guy....Since he has been our STARTING goaltender we haven't made the playoffs. Maybe we need a new GUY.

never thought about it like that, but i do find it interesting and probably true that we need to look another way. that being said i am not blaming ward for not making it to the playoffs the past few seasons, but he hasn't helped either. i good goal tender will help you get to the playoffs.

I whole heartedy disagree with the OP

Leighton belongs on the pine. End of story. And I am usually one who favors a 60-40 split over the 78 games Brodeur method.

For all his weaknesses Cam is still the far superior Goalie and it has pretty much been do or die since New Years.

Far superior? Their GAA's and SV%'s are so close they might as well be identical.. Cam gives up 4 in the first period and gets yanked he should not start the next game.. end of story.. you screw with the starters head, and you show no confidence whatsoever in the backup so you destroy the confidence of both goalies and thats exactly what this coaching staff has done.

I would never say Leighton should play 10 games in a row.. but he should PLAY... playing 1 game in the last 30-odd games is not helping his development any and its not giving Cam his rest.

What has Cam done lately? In his last 10 games his GAA is 3.63, and that's including the shutout against buffalo. He also got yanked from the 5-0 Florida game after giving up 4.. and got yanked from the Boston game after giving up 3 in a 4-1 loss. Both time Leighton came in and let in only 1 in relief.. he's had 5 games with GAA over 4 in the last 10.. 4.01, 4.01, 4.06, 9.00 and 8.14.

Until he plays better he doesnt deserve any ice time.. is he the #2? No.. of course not.. but he needs a break... he's had 1 night off since Dec 23.

It frustrates me to no end that the new coaching staff is digging the same grave the old staff dug the past 2 years.. they are gonna ride Cam until he breaks and then when we lose 4 or 5 games in a row everyone will look around and be like "hey.. how did we miss the playoffs.. we were right on the doorstep...."

My entire rant about Leighton playing has been directed at the coaching staff.. I'm not criticizing Cam.. he is the #1, but he needs rest.. thats why there are two on the roster for goodness sake.

well, I'm glad Mo picked Cam against the Sabres. I don't think Leights could have pulled off what Cam did tonight. As far as I see it, there is way too much on the line to play a backup because you feel sorry for him.

Far superior? Their GAA's and SV%'s are so close they might as well be identical.. Cam gives up 4 in the first period and gets yanked he should not start the next game.. end of story.. you screw with the starters head, and you show no confidence whatsoever in the backup so you destroy the confidence of both goalies and thats exactly what this coaching staff has done.

Do you not think Leighton knew what the deal was going to be when he came up from Albany? Also knowing Cams history of having a solid game after putting a stinker out on the ice does mean he generally should start if he gets yanked.

What would be bad is keeping him in there to have 9 or 10 goals hung on him when he is having an off night...or not putting Leighton in when Cam is having an off night. That is called showing Leighton the team has faith in him that he can turn a game around and tilt the ice in the Hurricanes favor.