The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
mtm0122

Who pays Tripper and Forslund?

Whether the checks say "Gale Force Media" or "Fox Sports Net" or "WonkaVision" doesn't matter. If the Canes' TV deal is the same as pretty much all of them (and I promise you it is, or the cameras would never get into the RBC and John and Tripp wouldn't be on the team plane), the announcers work at the pleasure of the team -- legally and literally.

sheesh...way to get defensive

Whether the checks say "Gale Force Media" or "Fox Sports Net" or "WonkaVision" doesn't matter. If the Canes' TV deal is the same as pretty much all of them (and I promise you it is, or the cameras would never get into the RBC and John and Tripp wouldn't be on the team plane), the announcers work at the pleasure of the team -- legally and literally.

Even though the Canes organization pays them, they are pretty honest in their criticism of the team. You don't get a lot on the TV broadcast but you get it in interviews and on the radio. Forslund is on the radio every night after the game with Maniscalco and they are taking callers' questions. They are pretty honest. Are they going to get in an uproar like us, no, they aren't getting paid to do that.

Can you imagine how long some of the people on this board would last as announcers? I can sum up the entire broadcast in a few statements:

-Cam sucks, he's average at best.

-Brindy sucks, he's lost it.

-Staal sucks, he isn't earning 8M a year.

-J.R. is a moron.

-Karmanos needs to spend some money.

-Trade Kaberle, he sucks.

-Why can't somebody make Wallin waive his NTC?

-We need to trade (insert player) for (insert player).

Those few "ideas" make up about 90% of what is discussed on this board. The 99.999% of the viewers that do not post on this board wouldn't really enjoy that telecast, and frankly, neither would I. Somebody has to pay these guys and they aren't going to bite the hand that feeds them, but they aren't total homers either. They do a good job in my eyes.

Haven't you ever heard the "The broadcasters are employed by the club" snippet near the beginning of some games? They don't do it every game, but every now and then they do it.

sheesh...way to get defensive

My answer was defensive -- how?? I was answering the question and describing the terms of the typical TV contract. I actually like John and Tripp, even though Tripp is unquestionably pushing the team's PR line. (And apparently in man-love w/Staal :))

Although the team pays them, I agree with Superdave's first paragraph. Forslund is a bit more reserved in his criticism on TV, but he is pretty straight up on the 99.9 post game. He probably feels pretty confident with his VS deal and may well realize how serious fans appreciate his honesty.

After the loss to the Bruins Forslund mentioned this team is performing about where it's talent level is. He was also directly critical of Staal's recent run (not including last night obviously). I find it refreshing and honest. This willingness to give relatively unbiased analysis make the Forslund part of the 99.9 post game something I really enjoy.

Trip is a little more reserved in terms of indivdiual player critism, but he'll say so and so is having a struggle or a difficult stretch etc. Of couse he's the one whose job includes shmoozing and dining with players.

On balance, I think we have a pretty good tandem.

you forgot:

Paul Maurice: hasn't done any better than Laviolette since being back... :P

Even though the Canes organization pays them, they are pretty honest in their criticism of the team. You don't get a lot on the TV broadcast but you get it in interviews and on the radio. Forslund is on the radio every night after the game with Maniscalco and they are taking callers' questions. They are pretty honest. Are they going to get in an uproar like us, no, they aren't getting paid to do that.

Can you imagine how long some of the people on this board would last as announcers? I can sum up the entire broadcast in a few statements:

-Cam sucks, he's average at best.

-Brindy sucks, he's lost it.

-Staal sucks, he isn't earning 8M a year.

-J.R. is a moron.

-Karmanos needs to spend some money.

-Trade Kaberle, he sucks.

-Why can't somebody make Wallin waive his NTC?

-We need to trade (insert player) for (insert player).

Those few "ideas" make up about 90% of what is discussed on this board. The 99.999% of the viewers that do not post on this board wouldn't really enjoy that telecast, and frankly, neither would I. Somebody has to pay these guys and they aren't going to bite the hand that feeds them, but they aren't total homers either. They do a good job in my eyes.

you forgot:

Paul Maurice: hasn't done any better than Laviolette since being back... :P

I knew I'd forget something, but I think I did a decent job of getting most complaints.

Considering Tripp's school boy crush on Eric Staal you would think Staal is paying Tripp's paycheck.

:lol: can i nominate this for post of the week? please? because it cracked me up.

Considering Tripp's school boy crush on Eric Staal you would think Staal is paying Tripp's paycheck.

Staal should pay Tripp to be able to carry Tripp's bags. (an by bags I mean the ones you put clothes in, not a bean bag)

I think Gale Force is the Media Creative department. Neither John or Tripp had jobs during the lockout. The creative department survived by doing other work for RBC and the likes during the lockout.

Tripp just needs to man up and ask out Ward, that is if Staal doesn't get too jealous. I don't know who he has *edit* for more Ward or Staal. He stands up for Ward and makes so many excuses for him I don't know if he wants to date him or be his mother.

Man, this is a tough crowd. I like Tripp and Forslund. I also enjoy Forslund's comments during the post game show with that other dude (who I can do without by the way), he's always straight up and says what he thinks. I also watch Center Ice alot and we are lucky to have John. Class act, IMO.

Man, this is a tough crowd. I like Tripp and Forslund. I also enjoy Forslund's comments during the post game show with that other dude (who I can do without by the way), he's always straight up and says what he thinks. I also watch Center Ice alot and we are lucky to have John. Class act, IMO.

got to agree with you Forslund is one of the best in the business. You definately notice when you listen to other announcers. Not only does he do a great job at calling games he is not a total homer compared to many others.

Tripp just needs to man up and ask out Ward, that is if Staal doesn't get too jealous. I don't know who he has *edit* for more Ward or Staal. He stands up for Ward and makes so many excuses for him I don't know if he wants to date him or be his mother.

Tripp plays(and still practices with the team from time to time) the Goalie position too so obviously he knows what he's talking about. So they do have something in common. Just in case you or other may not know.

BTW - I'm praying for your Rats ;)
Thanks bigbander. That means alot to us here in Albany. Its been a hard two days here in Albany.

Although people question the canes scouting, they got a blue chip prospect when they took on Forslund ;)

I think he's a future hall of famer when its all said and done.