The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IRISHCANE

Brind'Amour

Exactly what I was going to mention. Gleason was headed over there with the very clear intention of taking care of things, but either changed his mind or had it changed for him. Plus, the refs practically threw the Sabre in the box. Despite our PP being nonexistent, it was better to take the man advantage in the close game, then having the call evened up or swayed in their favor. Plus we really don't need Gleason getting hurt now. I am sure that there will be "payback" at some point (and there needs to be), we still have one more game against them in April and I would imagine that Tim Conboy will be looking to...meet a new Buffalo player.

I think he changed it himself. I taped the game and watched it when I got home. If I remember correctly Tripp was saying how Gleason was charging over from the bench, but slowed himself down. Then Forslund went on to say something like probably a good thing you don't want to take a retaliation penalty, just hurt them where it counts on the scoreboard.

I think the funniest thing was watching Gleason stare into the penalty box :lol:

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Gleason or Conboy take care of business on April 9th.

The elbow Spacek received looked accidental and it was an unfortunate collison.

Kaleta and Rod had been chirping earlier in the game so it was probaly from that. Should've never been a penalty, Kaleta never took any strides once he crossed the blue line into the zone, to call a charging the player needs to leave his feet or take 3 strides. Kaleta did neither. Hard, but clean hit.

I haven't posted here since the board switched over to the new format a few years ago. But I had to come out of hiding to comment about this.

Where was the "Team Toughness" that John and Trip talk about every time a situation like this happens and we retaliate? It seemed like the "not taking a penalty - so we could be on the powerplay" line, was an excuse, because we didn't retaliate.

Watching that cheap shot last night with absolutely no retaliation (I realize that Gleason was on his way, but there were other players on the ice that didn't have to come all the way across the ice) bothered me a lot. I was embarrassed, and mad as hell at the same time, that someone could do that to our captain without repercussion. Next time we play them is too late.

Just my $.02, for what it

Even if the Canes were under orders not to fight at that point in the game they should have still made it a point to get into his face whether he was rushed to the box or not. With him being rushed to the box that proves that it was a cheap shot and should have been a major penalty. Plus the fact that there could have been a fight after the game/shootout! I am so sick of this kitty(not the term i wanted to use) style of hockey that the Canes play year after year.

Cole get his neck broken---NOTHING

Sutter get knocked out-----NOTHING-------------Oh thats Dougie Weight he used to play for us,he's such a nice guy, bullpoop,take his head off!!!!

Cullen get knocked out----Nothing really

Roddy gets cheap shotted----NOTHING & he is our CAPTIAN

Absolutly ridiculous and every team knows that can hurt or at least take runs @ our guys and nothing will be done. At least bring Jesse back,,he may not have been the best hockey player but he had your back!!! What a bunch of chicken poop players we have!!

I am totally disgusted and embarrassed by the team and coaching staff!! :angry: (rainbows and lollipops)

Kaleta and Rod had been chirping earlier in the game so it was probaly from that. Should've never been a penalty, Kaleta never took any strides once he crossed the blue line into the zone, to call a charging the player needs to leave his feet or take 3 strides. Kaleta did neither. Hard, but clean hit.

I know the "three strides rule" seems to be the standard but the NHL's official rulebook (http://www.nhl.com/rules/rule47.html' target="_blank">The page on charging[/post]) doesn't indicate that three strides is required for the penalty. From the official site:

Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A "Charge" may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

Based on that my interpretation it is all about distance not actual strides. Kaleta definitely traveled three strides worth of distance between when he decided to make the check and when he actually hit Brind'Amour. To me that is a penalty regardless of whether he took the strides or not.

I agree that this hit may have been a result of the little "push and shove" that Rod and Kaleta had down by the Buffalo net. I don't think they were discussing which Tim Horton's has the best coffee. Or could have been for the elbow, intentional or not. However, a charge can be called when a player covers an excessive distance to hit a player. They don't necessarily have to leave their feet, that come into play when they have not violated the excessive distance interpretation by the ref.

It would have been nice to see a retaliation, but the game was too important. As many have said, they'll be a payback for this one, and I think it will come real early in the game.

I know the "three strides rule" seems to be the standard but the NHL's official rulebook (http://www.nhl.com/rules/rule47.html' target="_blank">The page on charging[/post]) doesn't indicate that three strides is required for the penalty. From the official site:

Based on that my interpretation it is all about distance not actual strides. Kaleta definitely traveled three strides worth of distance between when he decided to make the check and when he actually hit Brind'Amour. To me that is a penalty regardless of whether he took the strides or not.

Exactly! Plus, unfortunate as it was, a cheap shot does not result in a major. A major charging penalty is a charge with contact to the face or head of the opponent.

I think he changed it himself. I taped the game and watched it when I got home. If I remember correctly Tripp was saying how Gleason was charging over from the bench, but slowed himself down. Then Forslund went on to say something like probably a good thing you don't want to take a retaliation penalty, just hurt them where it counts on the scoreboard.

I think the funniest thing was watching Gleason stare into the penalty box :lol:

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Gleason or Conboy take care of business on April 9th.

:lol: nothing strikes fear into players better than a Gleason glare. and I think you're right, he realized what the situation was and cooler heads prevailed.

I saw the beer go over the penalty box too. But thats a buffalo fan for you. As for team toughness.. its non existent on this team. I'd be happy with finishing checks and punishing players for going in the corners. Too many team have an easy time getting the puck. Punish the body. Make them think about going in the corner.