The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
medfordcaniac7

I have to say I have been impressed with Mo so far

I have to say watching the NHL Netork last night showed

some of the little things that the Canes do under Mo.

They are aggressive but have become more defensively

diciplined. Gary Green showed a few instances in last

nights game and it made perfect sense.

I hope this run continues and we keep winning.

Great Job so far Mo and as a side note, Cam Ward

has looked a lot better as well. I hope he can do

this for the rest of the year and I believe we

will make the playoffs. B)

Me too. I also believe Mo will do better by Cam than Lavi did. Cam is our #1 goaltender and I didn't agree with Lavi starting the backup goalie after a game was lost with Cam in the net. You always start your #1 (unless he's injured) and then pull him "during" a game if he is having an off night. This will keep his confidence up I believe. Even Brodeur started a game even if he was in the net on a previous loss. My opinion.

I couldn't agree with you more. Hopefully alot of the "Mo" haters will start to come around too. There is no way IMO that anyone can complain with how the team has changed (for the better). Now the "WELCOME TO MO'S" chant is a good thing!! ;)

I couldn't agree with you more. Hopefully alot of the "Mo" haters will start to come around too. There is no way IMO that anyone can complain with how the team has changed (for the better). Now the "WELCOME TO MO'S" chant is a good thing!! ;)

I am still on the fence until the 15 game mark but finding less and less of a reason to be there.

There will still be a contingent of fans (me being one of them) who just prefer the game that Lav coached to the game Mo coaches. There is plenty of evidence that both styles are effective when played properly and with the right (and healthy) personnel. If that is considered "Mo hating" then so be it (and I'm not saying you are saying that DJ, but some people view a dislike for his style as Mo Hating).

I hear Mike on 99.9 after every game trying to convince the fans (and himself, I believe) that he'd rather watch a boring 2-1 game that we win than an exciting 5-4 game that we lose. Yeah, we all want to win, no doubt, but it is true that a game can be stylistically boring even when you win. That point needs to be acknowledged as a valid point IMO. I have no grudge against Mo. I just was more excited by the offensive game that Lav coached.

Fans do take notice of stylistic differences, they are plunking down the hard earned bucks to go to the games. I'm not surprised Jersey built a brand new arena and still has trouble filling the seats, even in the densely populated area they live in. They have been the most boring team out there for years, and the fans have responded to it.

I don't begrudge all the Mo fans their fun either. I'm glad a lot of people who weren't having fun are enjoying the team again. A successful team is definitely what we need. All the fans of Mo, come on out, buy tickets, and fill the place!

There will still be a contingent of fans (me being one of them) who just prefer the game that Lav coached to the game Mo coaches. There is plenty of evidence that both styles are effective when played properly and with the right (and healthy) personnel. If that is considered "Mo hating" then so be it (and I'm not saying you are saying that DJ, but some people view a dislike for his style as Mo Hating).

I hear Mike on 99.9 after every game trying to convince the fans (and himself, I believe) that he'd rather watch a boring 2-1 game that we win than an exciting 5-4 game that we lose. Yeah, we all want to win, no doubt, but it is true that a game can be stylistically boring even when you win. That point needs to be acknowledged as a valid point IMO. I have no grudge against Mo. I just was more excited by the offensive game that Lav coached.

Fans do take notice of stylistic differences, they are plunking down the hard earned bucks to go to the games. I'm not surprised Jersey built a brand new arena and still has trouble filling the seats, even in the densely populated area they live in. They have been the most boring team out there for years, and the fans have responded to it.

I don't begrudge all the Mo fans their fun either. I'm glad a lot of people who weren't having fun are enjoying the team again. A successful team is definitely what we need. All the fans of Mo, come on out, buy tickets, and fill the place!

I also like the more wide open game as a fan. But we had gotten into dump and chase, wrinse, repeat, under Lavi, and yet we were still giving up odd man rushes like they were going out of style. The team just wasn't really playing Laviollette hockey anymore anyway. Our scoring was way down at the same time we were playing poor defense.

I am hoping that the party line put out there is true. That is, that Mo is trying to rebuild the style from the back out. If that's the case, the style should open up little by little once the defensive and neutral zone disipline is solid. If this happens then we would have the best of both worlds. It could happen.

I also like the more wide open game as a fan. But we had gotten into dump and chase, wrinse, repeat, under Lavi, and yet we were still giving up odd man rushes like they were going out of style. The team just wasn't really playing Laviollette hockey anymore anyway. Our scoring was way down at the same time we were playing poor defense.

I am hoping that the party line put out there is true. That is, that Mo is trying to rebuild the style from the back out. If that's the case, the style should open up little by little once the defensive and neutral zone disipline is solid. If this happens then we would have the best of both worlds. It could happen.

Also when NJ won their later Cups they were not as boring as when Lemaire coached them.

They scored more and won at least one Cup when Lemaire was gone and went to the Finals

another time.

Perception is not always reality.

Based on what I got out of the post game press conference, it sounds more like Mo is trying get the team to play not just one style of hockey but a combination that can adapt to the opponent's style. Obviously against NJ the defensive neutral zone play is front and center so to be successful, the Canes had to battle for control in that zone, which they did pretty successfully. I'm fairly sure we'll see more of that "boring" play when we play Florida Thursday but all bets will be off when they get to Boston on Sat. Boston plays both a defensive game but has the offensive weapons to stay on the attack, sometimes it seems at will.

For whatever reason, Laviolette's system wasn't working anymore and something needed changing. So whats so bad about taking the best and most effective parts of a combination of styles and picking and choosing which to execute based on the opponent their seeing? It seems smart to me since the rules changes that opened up the game after the lock out aren't always enforced the same from game to game too. Our offense has been the biggest problem this season so its just going to take some time for them to play a much more responsible defensive game consistently, and gain the trust of the new coaching staff. Its obvious they're making headway.

I'm in the camp that as soon as Maurice feels that he has more consistency and less breakdowns (even for brief moments), he'll give more of a green light to "add another gear" to use his own words. I'm not so sure Id call what happened at the end of the third period last night a defensive breakdown so it seems that last night's game against a playoff contending team was played almost mistake free for a whole game. Hard to counter a surprise 6 on 4 attack.

I think Mo talked about building trust amongst the players, primarily on the defensive side of play, when he feels this happens is when he may kick it into the "fourth gear" offensively, allowing the players to take more chances.

Its funny how now there's a thread of "being impressed with Mo"You guys are worse than Leafs fans....

Why? Not everyone was completely against him from the start and many were at least willing to see what effect he had over a period time. I think its great that some who were adamant that he would be the end of the world are willing to at least entertain the fact that just maybe he's bringing what was needed to wake this team up.

When he left the first time, things were pretty dire and then Lavi came in and won us a Cup so I can certainly understand apprehension. It was two polar opposite systems of play that both brought successes but had a short shelf life, especially with all the changes the league went through.

I for one welcome these threads and it shows that our fanbase isn't so arrogant that they can't admit maybe they had a knee jerk emotional reaction at first. We've seen this lesson with trades over the years that have worked out for the best when given some time to get used to.

I think Mo talked about building trust amongst the players, primarily on the defensive side of play, when he feels this happens is when he may kick it into the "fourth gear" offensively, allowing the players to take more chances.

Absolutely, there's no way you can build confidence and trust until you simplify and master the simple game first. It sure looks like there's long term plan in place and they're taking it one step at a time. It took two years to unravel the trust and confidence that was built during the Cup year so it wont magically be restored overnight.

I myself could care less if "ICEFROG" was COACHING ,as long as we are winning i am happy,i am a fan either way but much happier when winning. But since this tread is about Maurice i can't complain about the teams performance. People have to lighten up a little bit and enjoy. Plus the fact that opinions can change as the team does. If Scotty Bowman can get fired anyone can.(so the firing of Lavs its that big of a deal in the NHL) I just wonder if it was anyone else other than Maurice if there would be a 10,15,20 game buffer until they decide whether they will accept Maurice or not. It is what it is,he is here and the team is playing better and thats whats is exciting to me.

I'm also willing to wait to see if he truly means what he says. Hopefully he has gotten better through the Toronto experience and added more to his philosophy. Coaches do evolve (see Belichick - Cleveland Browns vs. Belichick - New England Patriots).

If he is truly going to play a number of different styles, like he did say in the press conference, its not the same Mo I'm complaining about.

the difference I see is Mo hockey is responsible hockey in the nuetral zone and in the trnasisiton. Lavi's was not. Lavi's was faster and could score a few more goals (maybe) but it also allowed for the other teams to score more goals on give-aways and shortys. The issue is the other teams scored more than we did.

Lavi's hockey was more "fast and fun" but it ws dangerous and the other teams in NHL had figured it out long time ago.

the difference I see is Mo hockey is responsible hockey in the nuetral zone and in the trnasisiton. Lavi's was not. Lavi's was faster and could score a few more goals (maybe) but it also allowed for the other teams to score more goals on give-aways and shortys. The issue is the other teams scored more than we did.

Lavi's hockey was more "fast and fun" but it ws dangerous and the other teams in NHL had figured it out long time ago.

Good post and definatley true starting in 06-07.

I appreciate what Lavi did but it was not working anymore (kind of like my pathetic Broncos with Shanahan)

Mo has done a good job, I just hope it continues the whole season.

This is the most excited I have been about hockey this season B)

I feel the difference isn't the style, it was that the players stopped buying what Laviolette was selling. So whoever was brought in was going to make a difference, regardless of track record. I used to not get why NHL coaches have such short self lives but it really appears that just making a change can really make a difference sometimes.

Its funny how now theres a thread of "being impressed with Mo"You guys are worse than Leafs fans....

Not sure I understand the comment. I was one who was glad to see the change and have been to almost every game this year. I also sat through the Mo years at about 38 games a year. Glad to see a team play responsible hockey.

I'm in the camp that as soon as Maurice feels that he has more consistency and less breakdowns (even for brief moments), he'll give more of a green light to "add another gear" to use his own words. I'm not so sure Id call what happened at the end of the third period last night a defensive breakdown so it seems that last night's game against a playoff contending team was played almost mistake free for a whole game. Hard to counter a surprise 6 on 4 attack.

I have to agree we seem to play a little better each game. But we are also getting all our players back. First time in 140 games I think someone said!

NJ was on the attack in the 2nd and kicked it up in the third. I was kind of dissappointed that the team did not put the skate to the throat of the Devils. I think that may just be Mo's style of play. I hate the dump and chase. And the short shifts that he employs to hold a lead.

So I too am still on the fence...

Let me see if I got this straight. Some fans are saying that dump and chase, frequent icing, losing hockey was exciting while responsible, play it out of the back winning hockey is boring? Nice try but I'm not convinced. :rolleyes:

Someone else thinks that dump and chase, frequent icing, sling the puck blindly around the boards, hockey played the same way with a different body behind the bench would somehow miraculously turn into winning hockey. :unsure:

There is a wealth of hockey knowledge on this board and many posts are gems. Unfortunately one has to sift through a lot of rubbish to find those gems. :lol:

We aren't playing "Mo style" hockey. TomMoRon are installing a sound and responsible game of hockey that has been the winning formula for successful hockey since before most of us were born. It's the same hockey that has thwarted us and defeated us for the last 2 years. And no, you won't see it in places that are perennial losers like we had become. IMNSHO :D

Mo has exceeded my expectations to date. I had very much a wait and see attitude on Mo and felt it was time for Lavi to move on. I was interested to see if Mo would stick by what he said at his initial press conference that he would make small changes and not wholesale reworking of the play. Was also interested to see how he would coach this group of players. Last night I witnessed Samsonov get physical in the defensive corner! Has any coach ever gotten this out of him before?!?

What I see Mo bringing is structure to the team play which is bringing back consistency and the players know what to expect from each other. He has not eliminated offensive movement, remember the Whitney to Eaves play in Atl, last night's winning goal against the Devils with Babchuk moving down the wing adn crossing to Ruutu, or how often do we still see Pitkanen slide down the wing for a sneaky centering pass? Is the play as flashy as under Lavi? No, but I'll take a bit less style for a bunch more points in the standings, just as long as he doesn't implement the neutral zone trap :P .

While I think Mo has exceeded expectations, I still hope that he is just here for the rest of the season. Mo should only be taken in small doses and I think he might have found a niche for himself as a Interim coach. Plenty of teams can their coaches during the season and Maurice could be the guy to bridge the gap to a real coach.

Im still concerned that we will start to see the perfect shot rear its ugly head if the team falls back into another funk.

On the flip side, Staal, Ruutu, Samsonov, Babchuck, and Larose have all stepped up their game, (Babchuck and Larose via getting actual playing time) and that can be traced back to about when Maurice came in. did someone light a fire under them or did Maurice's coaching skills get them to produce who knows?

On a related side note Kudos to Justin Williams Rehab people, he hasnt lost a step

Someone else thinks that dump and chase, frequent icing, sling the puck blindly around the boards, hockey played the same way with a different body behind the bench would somehow miraculously turn into winning hockey. :unsure:

I think that was directed at my comment. My point was no matter what Laviolette's system was it didn't matter because the players weren't responding to him. Thus we've seen a turn around solely because the players are listening to Mo, which I don't think is because his system is superior, its because he's the new guy.

I think that was directed at my comment. My point was no matter what Laviolette's system was it didn't matter because the players weren't responding to him. Thus we've seen a turn around solely because the players are listening to Mo, which I don't think is because his system is superior, its because he's the new guy.

What I had to say wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. It was a general memory of, not only what you said but also what has been said by others on PGA on game day thread. I do appreciate your clarifying what you meant. I wouldn't argue that Mo has a system, but instead, his selection of playing style reflects a philosophy. As some others have said, he is installing a style of play from the defense out. We do seem to be doing more dump it in and dig it out but that could be lack of implementation of any philosophy than an opted style. My minds eye seems to remember less of that with the Staal line and more with the the 3rd and 4th lines. That would make sense with the lessor skilled lines.

I also believe that an over-simplification or narrow characterization of what Mo, Ron & Tom are doing with this team would be short-sighted.

I thought our passes had more steam last night than I can remember. Not only are our boys getting more confidence in themselves, but more confidence in each other.

I've always liked open ice, offensive hockey more than the boring, if not effective, defensive style of hockey. And if this team weren't desperately in need of some wins and/or a playoff berth, I'd probably be ticked at the defensive style that we've been playing. However, since that's the case, I can't complain.

I've noticed that Maurice has gone out of his way to stress that the team isn't playing "defensive hockey" because it might remind the fans too much of his last tenure here. He says that the team has offensive firepower, but we rarely see it. The team, behind Mo's smokes and mirrors, is playing a much more reserved style. I don't know how many times I've seen Seidenberg or Pitkanen back away from a puck they could have beaten a forward to, just to make sure nothing comes of it.

Yeah, it's good defensive hockey, but my philosophy's always been a good offense is your best defense. Keep the puck 120 feet from your net at all times and 99% of the time, you've got nothing to worry about.

Now, Mo has said he's working on the offensive side now, since he seems content with the defensive side. If we can get the offense going, I'd be a lot happier watching these games.

I don't know if i maybe the only one who is on that train, but however, I think the canes games have become much more attractive since Mo is here, at least in the actual season. With Lavi, there has been a lot of dump'n chase that didn't work, and the team hardly managed to carry the puck in the offensive zone, or even keep it there.

Now with Mo, they seem much more confident doin' that. That's the key in the statement of a "defensive game"...the puck is moved with a lot more patience from defense to offense, what seemingly leads to a lot of more offensive ice time. Now, they manage to bring the puck in the zone, keep it there, and set up some pressure, and that's something I like to watch a lot more than a buncha red jerseys skating up and down the ice trailing the puck after failed dump'n chase attempts.

I'm really excited about Mo right now, great job so far. But, in addition, I won't ever forget what Lavi did for this team. Even now, it's still Lavis team on the ice, the team that he and JR built over the years, and that's one thing I am really thankful for. At the end, it just came to that he couldn't get his team goin' anymore, something that happens to all professional sport teams over and over again, and then it's time for a change...I want to state clearly, that it wasn't about Lavi being a bad coach, it was about the change and a fresh wind on and off the ice to light the canes fire again, and that is what happened here. Thankfully, it turns out really good, so:

"Welcome home, Mo" :D

...and...

"Thank you Lavi! You'll be in every caniacs heart for ages"