The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
one-timer

Center Play

In the last two games, Eric Staal has had a total of 1 shots on goal.

Matt Cullen has had a total of 3 shots on goal last 2 games.

Brind'Amour has had a total of 3 shots on goal last 2 games.

While I am not too disappointed with Brind'Amours SOG's given his ice time, Staals is horrible. NHL All-Star to be our top paid player with 1 shot on goal in the last 2 games? Staal is a big kid, but if he can't generate his own shot move him to wing and let him trail the play. We are heading for the golf course fast, and if our first line center keeps this up it will be a done deal before the end of next week. Just say no to double shifting Staal. We need our best player to be taking shots on goal. If he can't it is our coaches job to make sure they figure out how to make it happen.

I noticed that as well. That was his first match this season where he had 0 shots on goal. His overall play has been good being that he has tallied 10 points in the past 8 games. I didn't like the double shifting but that was due to Sutters flight canceling due to weather conditions.

I noticed that as well. That was his first match this season where he had 0 shots on goal. His overall play has been good being that he has tallied 10 points in the past 8 games. I didn't like the double shifting but that was due to Sutters flight canceling due to weather conditions.

With Jussi, Ruutu, and LaRose we have guys that have and can play Center in a pinch. Some players seem to do just fine double shifting. I am one that does not think Staal fits that group. If he gets 22 minutes TOI he seems ok, but give him a back to back and I've noticed he seems to respond slowly on his next shift.

While I am not too disappointed with Brind'Amours SOG's given his ice time, Staals is horrible. NHL All-Star to be our top paid player with 1 shot on goal in the last 2 games? Staal is a big kid, but if he can't generate his own shot move him to wing and let him trail the play. We are heading for the golf course fast, and if our first line center keeps this up it will be a done deal before the end of next week. Just say no to double shifting Staal. We need our best player to be taking shots on goal. If he can't it is our coaches job to make sure they figure out how to make it happen.

Go look at the leaders in the NHL for shots on goal. You will find Staal near the top. Ridiculous post, as it is not supported by the stats. One or two games does not characterize his season. I really tire of the Staal is our problem posts. Losing is a team effort.

Go look at the leaders in the NHL for shots on goal. You will find Staal near the top. Ridiculous post, as it is not supported by the stats. One or two games does not characterize his season. I really tire of the Staal is our problem posts. Losing is a team effort.

Obviously you didnt read my post.

1) I said nothing about this season nor did I say anything about him when he was 9 years old and playing squirt hockey. Merely the last 2 games and the games ahead was what I referred to.

2) Staal has played well of late, but my post stands as it is. If we are to do better he must muster more SOG then the last 2 games.

3 assist in two games. We scored 4 goals in two games which Staal was involed in 75% of the scoring. He is second in the NHL in shots. How many more shots do you want. We might want to look at the goaltending or the defense that gave up 4 goals in one period.

Sometimes these post kill me.

can anyone see the probelm is the defense? trade number 4 seidensurg....get someone who can block shots and get points like him but actually skates well and doesnt give up as many goals while their job is to DEFEND the goal....just thought i'd add while the deadline is 2 days away and the management seems to think things are working out well as they are....i think i remember the beginning of the season they wanted to improve the defense anyway..... still waiting i guess.

can anyone see the probelm is the defense? trade number 4 seidensurg....get someone who can block shots and get points like him but actually skates well and doesnt give up as many goals while their job is to DEFEND the goal....just thought i'd add while the deadline is 2 days away and the management seems to think things are working out well as they are....i think i remember the beginning of the season they wanted to improve the defense anyway..... still waiting i guess.

I agree. Defense is the bigger problem. JR is so in love with his offensive-defenseman that our defense is all offensive-defenseman, minus Wallin and Gleason and Wallin just isn't that good. We have 3 offensive minded guys in our Top 3, not sure why people can't see this as a problem. Then the 1 shut down guy we have, Gleason, is still coming into his prime. He won't be a top shutdown guy for atleast another 2 years. They are asking him to do way too much right now since he's the only shut down guy. JR needs to bring in another shut down guy.

Trade Seidenberg and whatever else to bring one in here.

I agree. Defense is the bigger problem. JR is so in love with his offensive-defenseman that our defense is all offensive-defenseman, minus Wallin and Gleason and Wallin just isn't that good. We have 3 offensive minded guys in our Top 3, not sure why people can't see this as a problem. Then the 1 shut down guy we have, Gleason, is still coming into his prime. He won't be a top shutdown guy for atleast another 2 years. They are asking him to do way too much right now since he's the only shut down guy. JR needs to bring in another shut down guy.

I agree with the offensive/defenseman post. Still we are asking a team which has struggled to score this year to do so with even less offensive firepower if we get guys that are more defensive minded like Wesley, Hedican and Aaron Ward were.

I am not sure how many more 2-1 games we can win, even if you give us the Neidymeyer, and Pronger.

My post was for the last 2 games, and we need our only All-Star calibre player taking more than 1 SOG in 2 games. 0 shots VS Atlanta is not enough.

It is not Staal's production that I have a problem with. It is the fact that his effort is not there on any given night. With his size and skill set he should be able to take over games, which is why he makes the big bucks. The team is not losing because of Staal, but at the same time the team is not winning key games because of him. I guess it doesn't help that Tripp is always comparing him to the likes of Ovechkin and Crosby. Now that is a something we can all sit back and chuckle about.

It is not Staal's production that I have a problem with. It is the fact that his effort is not there on any given night. With his size and skill set he should be able to take over games, which is why he makes the big bucks. The team is not losing because of Staal, but at the same time the team is not winning key games because of him. I guess it doesn't help that Tripp is always comparing him to the likes of Ovechkin and Crosby. Now that is a something we can all sit back and chuckle about.

That's why I tune Tripp out. He is no where near the quality of OV or Crosby or Malkin for that matter. He plays when he feels like it.

Obviously you didnt read my post.

1) I said nothing about this season nor did I say anything about him when he was 9 years old and playing squirt hockey. Merely the last 2 games and the games ahead was what I referred to.

2) Staal has played well of late, but my post stands as it is. If we are to do better he must muster more SOG then the last 2 games.

Yeah, I read your post, and completely. Staal sucks, Brindy sucks, blah blah blah. Like I said, losing is a team effort. My soulution to your suggestion that Staal play better would be to get him a top tier winger to play with. His assists are way down year....wonder why? Also, it's hard to win when the defense allows 4 goals in one period. Let's spread the blame around.

Yeah, I read your post, and completely. Staal sucks, Brindy sucks, blah blah blah. Like I said, losing is a team effort. My soulution to your suggestion that Staal play better would be to get him a top tier winger to play with. His assists are way down year....wonder why? Also, it's hard to win when the defense allows 4 goals in one period. Let's spread the blame around.

I have to agree with you on this one losing is a team effort and you can't just put the blame on a single person or on a couple of people on the team. As said before our defense needs some help we need another shutdown defenseman like Gleason I would have no problem with trading Seidenberg to get a real defensman.

Which is the problem. Too many people want to compare Staal to Crosby or Ovechkin. He's not anywhere close to these guys and never will be. Crosby and Ovechkin are in a different class. If you want to compare Staal, compare him to the Vinny LaCavalier guys. Vinny struggled when he was Staal's age. In fact, I remember Tampa fans complaining about him to and how they should trade him blah blah blah. They are singing a different tune now aren't they. Give the kid time to figure out whate he is: playmaker, scorer etc. By the time he's Vinny's age, I'm sure you'll be singing a different tune about him.

Which is the problem. Too many people want to compare Staal to Crosby or Ovechkin. He's not anywhere close to these guys and never will be. Crosby and Ovechkin are in a different class. If you want to compare Staal, compare him to the Vinny LaCavalier guys. Vinny struggled when he was Staal's age. In fact, I remember Tampa fans complaining about him to and how they should trade him blah blah blah. They are singing a different tune now aren't they. Give the kid time to figure out whate he is: playmaker, scorer etc. By the time he's Vinny's age, I'm sure you'll be singing a different tune about him.

Yea but do you think that Staal will ever return to being a 100 point scorer again? Vinny wallowed for years with 50-70 point seasons, and then finally hit his stride the past two and is one of the most potent forces in the league. Staal, on the other hand, hit 100 points very quickly but has dropped off that pace significantly...maybe having that success so early on in his career really amped up the pressure to where he can't handle it...yet.

I just hope that his play isn't getting worse since that special season...I mean when I watch him now, compared to then, his shot looks worse, his speed isn't there, and the effort is lacking (as others have mentioned). I know that he has gotten better in some other areas, like faceoffs and two way play, but really he's supposed to be our star player and scorer. At least I think that's what his role is...maybe it's changing though.

Holy *edit*! Are you freaking kidding me. HOW CAN STAAL TAKE OVER A GAME WHEN THERE IS NOONE ELSE ON THE ICE TO BE SCARED OF. Do you people watch Hockey?????????? Ovechkin has Green and Semin, Crosby has Malkin Staal and Sykora. Staal has ummm...... ummm..... ummm.... EX-FREAKIN-ACTLY. 05-06 Staal had a GREAT supporting cast and it allowed him to show off. The powers to be MADE STUPID moves and now we are here. To say that Staal isn't as good as Ove or Crosby is INSANE!! Please watch more than just Canes Hockey and then try to justify these stupid comments!!!

I dont know if you saw, but we were in the works for an oli Jokinen trade...but that seems to have fallen through. It would have really given us a boost

I dont know if you saw, but we were in the works for an oli Jokinen trade...but that seems to have fallen through. It would have really given us a boost

Bring him on. Just what we need. Really, not being sarcastic. A proven veteran scorer. Center to boot. Love it. Do it.

Where did you find out that the negotiations fell through!!
I didnt, its just i havent heard anything and we have less than a day to get him...

Yea but do you think that Staal will ever return to being a 100 point scorer again? Vinny wallowed for years with 50-70 point seasons, and then finally hit his stride the past two and is one of the most potent forces in the league. Staal, on the other hand, hit 100 points very quickly but has dropped off that pace significantly...maybe having that success so early on in his career really amped up the pressure to where he can't handle it...yet.

I just hope that his play isn't getting worse since that special season...I mean when I watch him now, compared to then, his shot looks worse, his speed isn't there, and the effort is lacking (as others have mentioned). I know that he has gotten better in some other areas, like faceoffs and two way play, but really he's supposed to be our star player and scorer. At least I think that's what his role is...maybe it's changing though.

It has nothing to do with him having success so early and him not being able to handle the pressure. The problem exist around those around him. If you take Crosby and put him on this team in place of Staal. You would see his numbers fall. We have poor leadership and a core system that has yet to prove themselves. The core is the problem.