The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Trades, Rumors and Suggestions from the fans

:lol:

Sorry, I just find it funny you're always getting on LaRose's case, but basically listed his traits as a positive for Sutter.

Not quite.

Energy? Yes...LaRose plays with energy. No one can deny that. I've never tried to.

Consistency? No..sorry. LaRose is not consistent. He has good moments...and he has terrible moments.

Smarts? No...sorry. LaRose doesn't have this IMO.

I don't see Sutter turning the puck over frequently. I don't see Sutter getting knocked all over the ice with a simple shove from the opposition. I don't see Sutter playing without class, and taking cheapshots and late hits. I don't see Sutter wide open 10 feet in front of the net only to send the puck 4 feet wide. (Its unfortunate that Sutter doesn't get enough playing time for such scoring opportunities....I'd like to see if he could finish.) How many times this year and last year have we seen such events from LaRose? MANY times.

You guys can all put your LaRose-colored glasses on and keep thinking he's a great player on this team. I'll continue to think you're all crazy...especially those who have voiced that he should be Captain. LaRose is starting to "stand out" to many of you....and only during a time when Staal, Brind'amour, Cullen, Walker, Eaves, Samsonov....all these guys who are supposed to be our offense are severely underperforming. Those guys are playing like *edit* for the most part, but that doesn't make LaRose a good hockey player.

It would be nice if all our players had the energy of LaRose...I doubt anyone would say different. But I sure hope no one thinks it would be nice if all our players were of equal skill and talent and professionalism as LaRose. If you are saying that...you might want to just watch AHL games.

I'd rather see them swap Sutter and Brind'amour. I don't understand why Sutter doesn't get more playing time. I'm not hockey expert, but he seems to play with energy, consistency, smarts. Why is he not getting more playing time??

I actually think they are taking the right approach with Sutter. I wouldn't mind seeing him on the 3rd either, but this org has been known to rush prospects, and I think for the most part, they are handling Sutter right.

Sutter has a problem with keeping weight on. It was the end of October and the kid had already lost 10 pounds. Their biggest concern with him is him having the stamina to sustain an 82 season and keep weight on.

Theres a huge difference between the speed and physicalness of a game from Juniors to the NHL. Its a smart idea limiting his minutes and giving him the time to adjust to the grind that is the NHL. You don't want to give him 12-14 minutes only to have him be exhausted and withering away to nothing come Feb-Mar.

Now, I'm glad to see that Brind'Amour has moved to the 3rd and has been removed from the PK. Is it coincidence that our PK looks and has done better since the move? However, I'd like him to be removed from the PP as well. What I want to see is Brind'Amour get 3rd line ES minutes and come out to take the important face-offs. No special teams.

It's best to let Sutter have short minutes then he has a prayer of competing at the end of the season. At any moment we can get an injury or 2 for the center position and he will need to have the stamina to play more serious minutes. Remember Staal early in his career, he definitely hit a wall. I think they are handling him right.

Face it folks, with the way Rod is playing we really are short a center. I wish he would just take the rest of the year off and get well. Then he might be effective next season. Its not uncommon for ACL injuries to take 2 years to heal completely. I'm no doctor but I wonder what all of this playing is doing to delay that even further. The heart is willing but the flesh is weak.

Now, I'm glad to see that Brind'Amour has moved to the 3rd and has been removed from the PK. Is it coincidence that our PK looks and has done better since the move? However, I'd like him to be removed from the PP as well. What I want to see is Brind'Amour get 3rd line ES minutes and come out to take the important face-offs. No special teams.

I think Brindy needs to stay on the PP, he is the #1 faceoff guy in the league and almost all the goals he has this year have come from within 15 feet of the net. Its always good to start a PP off with a faceoff win, so I dont see why he doesnt just go to the net after that because he has shown that he can score goals that way.

But yeah he definitely needs 3rd lines minutes and no PK time.

Not quite.

Energy? Yes...LaRose plays with energy. No one can deny that. I've never tried to.

Consistency? No..sorry. LaRose is not consistent. He has good moments...and he has terrible moments.

Smarts? No...sorry. LaRose doesn't have this IMO.

I don't see Sutter turning the puck over frequently. I don't see Sutter getting knocked all over the ice with a simple shove from the opposition. I don't see Sutter playing without class, and taking cheapshots and late hits. I don't see Sutter wide open 10 feet in front of the net only to send the puck 4 feet wide. (Its unfortunate that Sutter doesn't get enough playing time for such scoring opportunities....I'd like to see if he could finish.) How many times this year and last year have we seen such events from LaRose? MANY times.

You guys can all put your LaRose-colored glasses on and keep thinking he's a great player on this team. I'll continue to think you're all crazy...especially those who have voiced that he should be Captain. LaRose is starting to "stand out" to many of you....and only during a time when Staal, Brind'amour, Cullen, Walker, Eaves, Samsonov....all these guys who are supposed to be our offense are severely underperforming. Those guys are playing like *edit* for the most part, but that doesn't make LaRose a good hockey player.

It would be nice if all our players had the energy of LaRose...I doubt anyone would say different. But I sure hope no one thinks it would be nice if all our players were of equal skill and talent and professionalism as LaRose. If you are saying that...you might want to just watch AHL games.

So when did Rosie become a dirty player?

I've never seen anyone compare him to a top line player like Eric Staal. He is and will probably always be a good energy guy who will get those grinding take lunch pail and hard hat to work kind of goals. Not to mention the legally clean hit he had last night where he put a Tampa player on his *edit*. If that is your definition of a unprofessional late hit cheap shot artist I'll take at least two or three on my team any time. I can guarantee you he commands just as much respect in that lockerroom as the anyone else.

So when did Rosie become a dirty player?

I've never seen anyone compare him to a top line player like Eric Staal. He is and will probably always be a good energy guy who will get those grinding take lunch pail and hard hat to work kind of goals. Not to mention the legally clean hit he had last night where he put a Tampa player on his *edit*. If that is your definition of a unprofessional late hit cheap shot artist I'll take at least two or three on my team any time. I can guarantee you he commands just as much respect in that lockerroom as the anyone else.

Rosie was showing a lot more spunk that some of our #1 & #2 line players were last night. IMHO!

Here is what I posted on the Ward and LaRose eating crow thread. But basically, look at the stats. The guy is playing less minutes on the third and even fourth line and he is on pace for nearly 20 goals. That's not just energy. To wit:

On a team who's forwards scoring is anemic, and with 3rd and even 4th line minutes, Chad LaRose is tied for 4th on the team in goals with Cullen. He is one goal shy of a 20 goal pace. In goals he is outscoring Samsonov, Brind'Amour, Walker, Eaves, and Williams (including adjusting for games played). His shooting percentage at 12.5% is second only to Cullen. Yes the guy can find the net. What I would love to know is his goals/minute of ice time, can't seem to find that (didn't really try though).

In a year where nearly every forward is playing at or below expectations, he (and Ruutu) are the ones clearly playing above expectations. I personally wondered if he had it in him to score at this level. Not anymore, Mr. LaRose you have clearly convinced me. He should be given time on the second line. Perhaps at center.

I'm not saying he has the skill of Staal, Whitney, Williams, Samsonov, but he is more than the 4th liner I thought he would always be.

LaRose is not a dirty player. He plays with the grit that we so sorely need. Brindy is doing better with the reduced minutes. Hopefully they keep his minutes down and keep him off the pk.

The Senators will move Vermette and talks with the Kings over Spezza are definitely heating up. the source went on to say: "The Senators are selling and apparently the Hurricanes are very interested in Vermette. The Canes have been making several buyer calls over the last few days..."

It's Eklund, but atleast it's something to talk about. I'd love to see Vermette as a Hurricane, but I don't think I'd like to see what the Hurricanes would need to give up to get him.

It's Eklund, but atleast it's something to talk about. I'd love to see Vermette as a Hurricane, but I don't think I'd like to see what the Hurricanes would need to give up to get him.

As long as it doesnt involve moving anyone from our current top 6, top 3 d, ward, sutter or larose im all for getting anyone. Vermette solidifies the PK and has good offensive talents.

Sens are also rumored to be shopping Chris Neil for a 2nd round pick. (TFP-Spectors)

If JR is really looking to buy at this point then Neil would give the Canes some needed size and toughness. A 2nd round pick does not seem too high a price. Count me as one that wants to see the Canes in the playoffs THIS yr - I could care less if its as an 8th seed.

I know people are gonna say we need more offense and Neil doesn't necessarily fit that bill. IMO the scoring will rise as Cullen Williams and (to a lesser extent) Brindy continue to gain confidence.

I just think toughness and size are what the team needs most right now.

Sounds like he's ok with giving up the farm or picks to me.

Which is the wrong direction to go with this team anyway. If anything, we'd want to get rid of our current older players and keep the farm team and picks. But since we're once again a fringe playoff team, JR's either going to:

A. Claim the team has the talent to make it on their own and not do anything. Again.

or

B. Trade the farm for rental players, thinning our prospect pool even more than it already is.

vermette is another player JR seems obsessed with, he was trying to get him instead of eaves in last years trade. I wouldnt mind dealing some prospects for vermette, knowing what vermette can do while not knowing if those prospects will ever amount to anything, except McBain. You wont be able to deal any older players, Ottawa is in rebuild mode.

Which is the wrong direction to go with this team anyway. If anything, we'd want to get rid of our current older players and keep the farm team and picks. But since we're once again a fringe playoff team, JR's either going to:

A. Claim the team has the talent to make it on their own and not do anything. Again.

or

B. Trade the farm for rental players, thinning our prospect pool even more than it already is.

Frog, I think J.R. needs to phone a friend if he has to chose between A and B. If "A" is the choice, then this team has the talent to be right where it is now, a fringe playoff team that may squeek in and be cannon fodder for Boston (we've done so well against them this year). If "B" is his choice, we need to gather our torches and pitchforks and storm his office.

This team doesn't have the assets to give away to be a big buyer at the trade deadline. We've got a couple of nice players in the pipeline that need to stay there. Drafting well and developing the young guys is the only way for a small market team to compete since we can't or won't be active in the high dollar free agent market. The only way J.R. makes a major move (in my opinion) is to take on some player's high contract from a team dumping salary. I really don't see that one happening.

We have a couple of players that would make good character and experience additions to some playoff teams and we don't have assets to trade for help now. We are positioned much more as a seller now than a buyer since the answer really isn't to stand pat. This team isn't a role player away from being competitive, this team needs a high powered scoring threat to help us score more than 1 or 2 goals a game.

The problem is, it's all about making the playoffs from the organization's point of view. They need that extra income. The attendance is already starting to decrease this year, and the lack of playoffs + higher ticket prices has a lot to do with it. They make the playoffs, they get some income, they might lower the prices, and the attendance goes up. So, if JR believes he can trade for a player that will solidify that 7th-8th spot for us, I don't doubt he'll trade away the farm to do it. If he can't, I don't doubt he'll stay with what we've got.

I don't really see us as a seller anyway, since we really don't have too many pieces that we're willing to give up that other teams want. We can give up a good portion of our team, but no one wants the Wallins, the Kaberles, the Eaveses (Eavesi?).

The problem is, it's all about making the playoffs from the organization's point of view. They need that extra income. The attendance is already starting to decrease this year, and the lack of playoffs + higher ticket prices has a lot to do with it. They make the playoffs, they get some income, they might lower the prices, and the attendance goes up. So, if JR believes he can trade for a player that will solidify that 7th-8th spot for us, I don't doubt he'll trade away the farm to do it. If he can't, I don't doubt he'll stay with what we've got.

I don't really see us as a seller anyway, since we really don't have too many pieces that we're willing to give up that other teams want. We can give up a good portion of our team, but no one wants the Wallins, the Kaberles, the Eaveses (Eavesi?).

Let's not forget raising parking/concession prices. I use to frequently by blocks of 20 tickets in the end zones because the discount was great but these days they will only sell those at close to face value and you only get discounts in the lower bowl (or discounts that are worth thinking about). They are trying to squeeze the public out of every dime and do that in a small market the the economy tanking. Not exactly a recipe for success.

vermette is another player JR seems obsessed with, he was trying to get him instead of eaves in last years trade. I wouldnt mind dealing some prospects for vermette, knowing what vermette can do while not knowing if those prospects will ever amount to anything, except McBain. You wont be able to deal any older players, Ottawa is in rebuild mode.

Ottawa wants an offensive-defenseman, they haven't found one since trading Corvo to us last year. We have two that are likely available: Kaberle and Seidenberg. I say Seidenberg b/c he's a UFA after this year and he may price himself out of what we can afford.

Does Ottawa want an older defense who may just need a change of scenery to get back and is under contract (cheaper than Vermette) for the next 2 years. Or they can always take the younger Seidenberg, test him out and see if he'll be a fit for their team. If so, they can pay him want he wants.

I see Ottawa having more interest in Seidenberg because he's younger and if he doens't work out, they can let him go.

The net effect of Rod's +/- issues have MUCH more impact on the outcomes of our games than his Faceoff strength. I'd rather we reduce his TOI than leave him out there, even if it means giving up more faceoffs.

It's best to let Sutter have short minutes then he has a prayer of competing at the end of the season. At any moment we can get an injury or 2 for the center position and he will need to have the stamina to play more serious minutes. Remember Staal early in his career, he definitely hit a wall. I think they are handling him right.

Face it folks, with the way Rod is playing we really are short a center. I wish he would just take the rest of the year off and get well. Then he might be effective next season. Its not uncommon for ACL injuries to take 2 years to heal completely. I'm no doctor but I wonder what all of this playing is doing to delay that even further. The heart is willing but the flesh is weak.

Unless missing the playoffs or sneaking in to get beheaded by Boston is the plan this team HAS to be buyers. The only year we actually put it together we were huge buyers with Weight and Rechi. Even that year when Brind'Amour was his hall of fame self and Williams was a 30 goal scorer, we needed both of those guys.

Ottawa wants an offensive-defenseman, they haven't found one since trading Corvo to us last year. We have two that are likely available: Kaberle and Seidenberg. I say Seidenberg b/c he's a UFA after this year and he may price himself out of what we can afford.

Does Ottawa want an older defense who may just need a change of scenery to get back and is under contract (cheaper than Vermette) for the next 2 years. Or they can always take the younger Seidenberg, test him out and see if he'll be a fit for their team. If so, they can pay him want he wants.

I see Ottawa having more interest in Seidenberg because he's younger and if he doens't work out, they can let him go.

I'd give up Seindenburg in a heartbeat

Unless missing the playoffs or sneaking in to get beheaded by Boston is the plan this team HAS to be buyers. The only year we actually put it together we were huge buyers with Weight and Rechi. Even that year when Brind'Amour was his hall of fame self and Williams was a 30 goal scorer, we needed both of those guys.

Yeah but that team had been playing well early in the season, they felt like a winning team most the year. Whereas this team has felt mediocre all year. I'm a lot more comfortable spending future picks on players when the future already looks bright. As opposed to using future picks in an attempt to get the team to pull it together. I'm not saying JR won't make a move, especially if the 5 game loosing streak proves to be an aberration, but the moves in 05-06 were gearing up to make a cup run, not to make a push to cement a playoff spot.