The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Trades, Rumors and Suggestions from the fans

I'd give up Seindenburg in a heartbeat

With the play of guys like Borer, Carson, Conboy, and Rodney in spot-duty, I could definitely see Seidenberg dealt by the trade deadline. I just hate that he'll likely be packaged with a high-quality prospect and early-round draft pick, which is really what this franchise can't afford to give up right now.

Sens are also rumored to be shopping Chris Neil for a 2nd round pick. (TFP-Spectors)

If JR is really looking to buy at this point then Neil would give the Canes some needed size and toughness. A 2nd round pick does not seem too high a price. Count me as one that wants to see the Canes in the playoffs THIS yr - I could care less if its as an 8th seed.

I know people are gonna say we need more offense and Neil doesn't necessarily fit that bill. IMO the scoring will rise as Cullen Williams and (to a lesser extent) Brindy continue to gain confidence.

I just think toughness and size are what the team needs most right now.

I'm on board with the value of this team picking up Neil. The physicality level instantly leaps and teams have to look at the Canes differently with his presence. Neil is a player who I consider a regular season style player...less valuable during playoff time, but this team first has to get to the playoffs and Neil undoubtedly helps in that area. It is possible to get to the playoffs this year, but I don't see the current group actually getting it done without changes in physicality and scoring ability. I could see a Cullen and Seids deal for Vermette and Neil, the money is about even and both sides fill some gaps.

JR is enamored with Vermette, but I'd rather he go a different direction. Maybe swinging a deal with Chicago including Whitney to bring in Havlat or going for another definitive scorer who is available. Staal needs a consistent, persistent scorer on his line with him. Put that together and Staal's scoring will increase as will the entire line and the overall team scoring. Vermette is a nice all-around guy who will find the net 20 times a season, but he doesn't create the scoring tandem that is working for other teams around the league.

obviously? how do you come to that conclusion.... we rank near the bottom of the league in goals scored

uhhhhh... eric staal...?

uhhhhh... ray whitney...?

uhhhhh... tuomo ruutu...?

the list goes on?

again these guys are obviously talented

so the issue isnt that we are lacking the ablity

the issue is we're being lazy.....

but yeah.

All I'm saying is that this team as currently structured is a #8 seed at best, and smart money would probably put us just out of the playoffs. If the goal is to make the playoffs and have any chance to make any kind of run, we need to pick up another skilled forward somehow. I would personally add that the retirement/trading/benching of Brind'Amour will be needed as well.

This team has lost it's sniper scorers to trades/injuries/old age.

Cup Run:

Cole (first half)

Stillman

Brind'Amour at full force

Williams at 30 goal, All Star level

Weight

Recchi

Replaced by:

Eaves

Samsonov

Brind'Amour hobbled at -29 form

Williams post injury

Pitkanen

It is a bit over simplified, yes Ruutu is an upgrade, Corvo is helping, but in terms of forwards scoring it is night and day.

We don't need to return to the high scoring days of old, but we need more than we're getting. The Atlanta game is prime evidence of team with heart and skating that just can't beat the goalie. We need one more guy who can do that and we need Brindy's one man slow turnover machine off the ice. If we want to make the palyoffs.

The Canucks and Hurricanes are both trying to get Frolov out of LA. This bit of info came from Hockeyleaks.com. Thought it sounded pretty intersting so I posted it! GO 'CANES!!!

http://www.hockeyleaks.com/index.php?page=rumors''>http://www.hockeyleaks.com/index.php?page=rumors' target="_blank">http://www.hockeyleaks.com/index.php?page=rumors[/post]

that would be taking on some cash, maybe Peters and a 1st rounder could get it done.

Cullen for Vermette? Stupid move, imo. Cullen is better player, Vermette is young, but overrated.

As I said before, I'd rather not pick up Vermette, I don't think he's enough of what we need. You are probably correct that he's a bit overrated.

JR likes Vermette. My thought was that if JR is going to make the move, both sides need to see a "win" in the trade, especially Ottawa after last year's deal with the Canes, so Cullen could be the bait. I also have stated elsewhere that I suspect Cullen is trade bait right now, especially with him now playing on our second line and increasing his value, and the fact that next year I anticipate Boychuk to be the fourth line center. If Brindy returns, then there is not room at Center for Cullen next year.

The Canucks and Hurricanes are both trying to get Frolov out of LA. This bit of info came from Hockeyleaks.com. Thought it sounded pretty intersting so I posted it! GO 'CANES!!!

http://www.hockeyleaks.com/index.php?page=rumors''>http://www.hockeyleaks.com/index.php?page=rumors' target="_blank">http://www.hockeyleaks.com/index.php?page=rumors[/post]

Frolov would be a nice addition! Much better than Vermette, imo. Frolov is not overpriced at 3.5 this year and 4.0 next. What would we need to give up to get this done?

I know last year there was a Cole-for-Frolov straight-up deal on the table before the Kings' general manager backed out. I would imagine a Ruutu-for-Frolov deal would present the same appeal.

I know last year there was a Cole-for-Frolov straight-up deal on the table before the Kings' general manager backed out. I would imagine a Ruutu-for-Frolov deal would present the same appeal.

Hmmm, the real value to the deal would rest in whether or not JR expects to be able to bring back Ruutu this off season. I'd rather see this deal be a bit of salary add move for the Canes than even deal. Then, the team would be adding for this season's push.

I'd prefer Frolov for Samsonov straight up and keep Ruutu.

I sware if we let matt cullen go again, I will fight someone.

he doesn't get the respect he deserves IMO. If we tank after this year and Brindy does retire/leave, he and Chad deserve a letter. Probably not the C though, that one goes to Ruutu. I tend to think that the guys who work the hardest are the ones who deserve the rewards, but the world is a cruel place to deserving people sometimes.

I'd prefer Frolov for Samsonov straight up and keep Ruutu.

Probably have to add quite a bit to that deal to even get the Kings to consider it. If Cole was offered earlier, I would assume that the Kings wanted to add some physicality to their roster. Only player the Hurricanes have to offer in that mold is Ruutu.

I sware if we let matt cullen go again, I will fight someone.

he doesn't get the respect he deserves IMO. If we tank after this year and Brindy does retire/leave, he and Chad deserve a letter. Probably not the C though, that one goes to Ruutu. I tend to think that the guys who work the hardest are the ones who deserve the rewards, but the world is a cruel place to deserving people sometimes.

No need to fight anyone, haha

I don't think canes are foolish enough to let him go at least until his contract expires. Matt is playing the 2nd line center until the season is at least over, he's definitely made the most of his ice-time, and the fact that his +/- has gone up sinc emoving to the 2nd line is impressive too.

Also I wish I could start a rumor that LaRose signed an extension and got a nice raise :D

No need to fight anyone, haha

I don't think canes are foolish enough to let him go at least until his contract expires. Matt is playing the 2nd line center until the season is at least over, he's definitely made the most of his ice-time, and the fact that his +/- has gone up sinc emoving to the 2nd line is impressive too.

Also I wish I could start a rumor that LaRose signed an extension and got a nice raise :D

Im so glad cullen is finally getting ice time. Stats dont lie, the guy is a great player when he gets to play with other good players.

LA was rumored to be one of the teams interested in Kaberle when we were looking to trade him earlier. However, with the return of Johnson, and the fact that they let Kaberle pass through waivers, I doubt he'll be a piece of any trade involving LA.

Getting Frolov would definitely help the team, and Samsonov would be my preferred tradebait.

Samsonov

Seidenberg

Frolov

Westgarth/2-3rd round pick

LA was rumored to be one of the teams interested in Kaberle when we were looking to trade him earlier. However, with the return of Johnson, and the fact that they let Kaberle pass through waivers, I doubt he'll be a piece of any trade involving LA.

Getting Frolov would definitely help the team, and Samsonov would be my preferred tradebait.

Samsonov

Seidenberg

Frolov

LA could have had Kabs for free on waivers so I would leave him out of any trade talks.

Samsonov

Seidenberg

Frolov

Hate to give up Seidenberg, but if it would get this done, we really need a guy who can find the back of the net and Frolov is certainly that. We would still have the elephant in the room problem, but it would help.

Does Samsonov really have that kind of value? I just don't see it. Sergei has struggled everywhere but here in recent years and its not like he's lighting it up now.

You're not getting Frolov out of LA with that kind of package, it would take a 1st line player and/or first round picks.

I somehow think that Rutherford would turn this into a multi-team trade (Frolov trade) to get the best of the bargain instead of a straight up trade ( if it were to happen). He always seems to have something up his sleeve.

Does Samsonov really have that kind of value? I just don't see it. Sergei has struggled everywhere but here in recent years and its not like he's lighting it up now.

You're not getting Frolov out of LA with that kind of package, it would take a 1st line player and/or first round picks.

if a team wanted sergei, i think it would be a team destined for the playoffs. he provided a nice spark to the oilers. and could do the same now.

if a team wanted sergei, i think it would be a team destined for the playoffs. he provided a nice spark to the oilers. and could do the same now.

If he was in the last year of his contract I could see it. But I don't see too many contenders lining up for the two additional years of Sergei Samsonov at 2.5 and 2.8 million respectively.