The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Trades, Rumors and Suggestions from the fans

Alright. First Avery and Pronger are not coming here. Geeze let's just pick names out of a hat, that would be more likely.

But, here's a question for all of you who follow the entire league more than me.

If one pretends for a moment that this Brind'Amour "nagging" injury thing is the first step in moving him out, and if one agrees that to really make a run and go deep in the playoffs we cannot rely on Sutter and Petruzalek as the 3,4 centers, then we need to pickup an NHL center. An average playmaking 2nd or 3rd line center would do. Obviously the better that player the better our chances. So ideally it would be Spezza, but fat chance.

So, who is out there that we could get as that center? That would be my question.

Ruutu could center and we could get a winger.

Ruutu could center and we could get a winger.

Just because he can play center doesn't mean he should. If Brind'Amour is down for the count the team needs a replacement from outside if it is going to make any sort of noise.

Ek:

Scouts from Philly, Tampa (2 scouts), Boston, NY Islanders, Carolina, Florida, Boston, Dallas, Chicago, Colorado, St. Louis, Edmonton, NY Rangers, Pittsburgh and Washington are all currently watching Montreal and Buffalo play as we speak

sorry, but I WOULD mind seeing that no good (multiple bad names deleted here - pick your own and have some fun) in a canes uniform... Avery ain't tough - he's a pest, NOT a fighter (actually seen him run from a fight or dozen), not physically tough (bet my daughter could push him off a puck) besides - he's B-A-D for chemistry, and universally despised by every other player in the league. I would publicly boycott should anyone in our mgmt be so dimwitted as to bring that scumbag here. (that said, I have no fear of having to boycott the canes)

i'm with you. he's a huge distraction. well said.........no, class, no class, no CLASS!

(send him back to the rangers.......its a perfect fit!) :P

On the Canes pregame show last night, JR said he doesn't expect any other trades for the Canes this season. Guess that puts my favorite thread to rest :(

I don't know if it puts the thread to rest. Just because he said he doesn't expect to make a move doesn't mean he won't. But yesterday's trade indicated one thing for sure, another deal will not happen unless it cuts salary or is budget neutral, which definitely puts the kibosh on all sorts of possible moves to add a player.

When JR says something, look for the opposite to happen.

We are not likely to make any blockbuster moves here, but JR would never miss an opportunity for a trade here and there if there is a chance for one.

On the Canes pregame show last night, JR said he doesn't expect any other trades for the Canes this season. Guess that puts my favorite thread to rest :(

It's all part of the master plan. If Jokinen finds a groove we may be done. But if the team keeps winning but there is weakness behind Cullen at center, I still think we are buyers for the playoff run, shopping for a center.

We are not likely to make any blockbuster moves here, but JR would never miss an opportunity for a trade here and there if there is a chance for one.

Couldn't agree more. It has been my experience what people say and what they do are often two different things. JR may be done. Jokinen played pretty good last night and you sure don't want to send the wrong message to a team that is now beginning to play well.

I think the next four games will tell the tale. If we do good a trade isn't urgent but if we begin to falter I would look for another move before deadline.

Couldn't agree more. It has been my experience what people say and what they do are often two different things. JR may be done. Jokinen played pretty good last night and you sure don't want to send the wrong message to a team that is now beginning to play well.

I think the next four games will tell the tale. If we do good a trade isn't urgent but if we begin to falter I would look for another move before deadline.

JR said before he wanted to wait until March 1st to make a deal, and we make one on February 7th. I wouldn't say it's safe to assume we're done, I wouldn't be surprised if we made another move at the deadline. Most likely, like firehazad said, it'll be a move that doesn't change our budget at all. We'll see what happens.

Maybe I am too optimistic, but I would not be shocked by a big move that added some salary. The Jokinen move is low visibility and likely low impact. Keeping salary add minimal in this move leaves any amount that the Canes would be willing to add for a move of greater consequence. JR and PK have consistently implied that if the situation for the team is right (playoff positioning) and the deal is right (e.g. quality 2nd line center) that the self-imposed cap is not a hard cap. With the Jokinen move, JR is just being prudent, not overpaying, and keeping options open as the deadline approaches.

JR and PK have both said this season that basically if this team is a sure thing for the playoffs, deals will be sought. If it is unclear whether the team will make the playoffs or not, only patchwork will be done, such as the deal we saw yesterday. So my hope is that the Canes start playing like they did at the end of last season and SOLIDIFY a spot in the playoffs. If we do that, I can see the Canes making a deal. Anything short, and a trade is doubtful.

JR and PK have both said this season that basically if this team is a sure thing for the playoffs, deals will be sought. If it is unclear whether the team will make the playoffs or not, only patchwork will be done, such as the deal we saw yesterday. So my hope is that the Canes start playing like they did at the end of last season and SOLIDIFY a spot in the playoffs. If we do that, I can see the Canes making a deal. Anything short, and a trade is doubtful.

I would rather not trade away our farm players just to get playoff rentals, we are finally starting to get a decent amount of prospects and I think no matter who we trade for we probably wont get past the Bruins or Caps if we have to play either of them. Making the playoffs is indeed a priority, but I don't see us getting farther than the 2nd round so I'd rather not trade for a player unless we plan on keeping him.

JR and PK have both said this season that basically if this team is a sure thing for the playoffs, deals will be sought.

This is what is going to happen. We are about to start moving on up. By the end of the next 10 games we will be squarely in the playoffs and we will see another legitimate NHL scoring forward (center) added, probably a rental type. The exception will be if Jokinen finds his game. If that happens, a move still might happen, but probably not a big one.

I guess the "The Most Connected, Respected, & Hardest Working Rumor Writers in the NHL" over at the Buzz were dead on with Jokinen getting traded.:rolleyes:

I guess the "The Most Connected, Respected, & Hardest Working Rumor Writers in the NHL" over at the Buzz were dead on with Jokinen getting traded.:rolleyes:

With all the buzz swirling around his name, I'm glad they gave him attention over people that don't deserve it like Bouwmeester. :P

If mgmt learned nothing else from last year, it should be that solidifying a playoff spot for this team requires more than patchwork. It's the catch-22, you want to be guaranteed the playoffs before making a big move, but with the current roster the playoffs are not a guarantee without a key move.

I promise you guys Vermette and Neil will be coming our way.

And who do you think will be going to Ottawa? Brian Murray is probably fighting for his job right now, might not look good for him to trade with us again after getting hosed by JR last season haha. That does sound pretty sweet though. What makes you so positive that you are willing to make a promise? Are you so sure that you're willing to pinky promise? Haha j/k

Here's a rumor for everyone,,,,The "MODS" are throwing an all inclusive $5.00 tailgate party @ the last home game!! All you can eat and drink!!!

WOW WE HAVE THE GREATEST MODS IN THE NHL!!!! ;):lol::blink::lol:;)

Here's a rumor for everyone,,,,The "MODS" are throwing an all inclusive $5.00 tailgate party @ the last home game!! All you can eat and drink!!!

WOW WE HAVE THE GREATEST MODS IN THE NHL!!!! ;):lol::blink::lol:;)

Oooh....good thing Marcus made me blue and not green *looks at Tarheelmike*