The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Trades, Rumors and Suggestions from the fans

I know what JR said about there being no more trades, but I have a feeling. In the least, I say we end up trading some minor league guys. In particular, Conboy. The way the NHL is headed with fighting and the fact that Mo could possibly be back next year, I'd say his days with the org are numbered.

Was reading over at tsn a list of potential guys on the block and was thinking that Tkachuk might be a great options for the Canes @ only $940k?

He would add some depth and maybe a few goals to the 3rd or 4th line.

I know he's older, but could bring some experience at a cheap price. I'll admit I haven't seen him play a lot recently, so I'm throwing it out there to see what you guys think?

Was reading over at tsn a list of potential guys on the block and was thinking that Tkachuk might be a great options for the Canes @ only $940k?

Me too. When Brindy flew home during the west coast trip, I wondered whether the season might be over for him. Saw the Tkachuk words on tsn and had the same thought. His 17 goal rate could help ( that;s more tham most of the Canes ! ) and for a prorated portion of $940k, it could be a good deal. Canes need more goal scorers.

Maybe a way to move Kaberle too ?

IMO JR needs to do something drastic NOW. Best case scenario, it works and we go deep in the playoffs. Worst case scenario, it sucks and we get a decent draft pick. Right now the Canes are repeating the last couple season over again - on the cusp of a playoff berth, only to fall just short and get a mediocre draft pick. That is where this team will stay until some risks are taken. As it is right now, this team will NOT make the playoffs no matter how poorly the teams in front of us start playing.

IMO JR needs to do something drastic NOW. Best case scenario, it works and we go deep in the playoffs. Worst case scenario, it sucks and we get a decent draft pick. Right now the Canes are repeating the last couple season over again - on the cusp of a playoff berth, only to fall just short and get a mediocre draft pick. That is where this team will stay until some risks are taken. As it is right now, this team will NOT make the playoffs no matter how poorly the teams in front of us start playing.

we won't just fall short, I think come mid March we will be all but mathematically eliminated. How is that for a "perfect storm" PK??

I don't know about being all but eliminated in a month. This team is still winning 2 out of every three games at the moment, which puts them on pace to be on the edge of the playoffs. That being said this team is a hot streak away from being in and a cold streak away from being done. And unfortunately this team has displayed the ability for a cold streak more than a hot streak.

one bad game, and u fans throw the whole team under bus, except for u rmilano... and when they come out and beat columbus ur back being bandwagon jumpers...pathetic..

one bad game, and u fans throw the whole team under bus, except for u rmilano... and when they come out and beat columbus ur back being bandwagon jumpers...pathetic..

This team is going nowhere. We all know it but we doubt ourselves when they put up their occasional good efforts like they did against Phoenix. Call that what you will.

No not anymore. I will still follow and cheer for the Canes. I will hope for the best. If they go on a win streak I will

give them due credit. But it wasn't that they lost last night it is how they lost. This team can maybe make the playoffs

or it could self destruct. It doesn't bother me that they lose if they put in the effort.This years version of the Canes are not the team we have come to support. The only thing pathetic is how they played last night.

And yes they need to make a trade and soon.

No not anymore. I will still follow and cheer for the Canes. I will hope for the best. If they go on a win streak I will

give them due credit. But it wasn't that they lost last night it is how they lost. This team can maybe make the playoffs

or it could self destruct. It doesn't bother me that they lose if they put in the effort.This years version of the Canes are not the team we have come to support. The only thing pathetic is how they played last night.

And yes they need to make a trade and soon.

This team is going nowhere. We all know it but we doubt ourselves when they put up their occasional good efforts like they did against Phoenix. Call that what you will.

This team isn't going nowhere. It is just headed toward the bubble, which could turn out ok or not.

I don't have alot of confidence after last night either, but I had us picked to lose this one anyway. Florida is a way better team than the Canes. But, I can't throw in the towel just yet. I will wait (yet again) and see how the next 8 games play out. I think I might rather see what happens this year, and if we miss the playoffs yet again, have a fire sale and go with some youth.

do we really want to just tinker with this team?? this is the same exact position we were in last year at this time. in my opinion even if we make the playoffs, this team is way to inconsistant to to any damage or go on a long playoff run. we have too many nights where our top players are non-exsistant. also we are veteran squad, there are more talanted young and hungry teams out there(kinda like florida last night) that want it worse. thats the type of team i can get excited over!!! this team is quite honestly becoming a boring team to watch. time to go young even if it means a couple three years of losing. brindamour and williams will probably never regain their past form. just my .02 cents

Maybe its because this team had a playoff game and decided to NOT SHOW UP. This was a game they should and needed to have. Now Florida is 3 points ahead with a game in hand. Not to mention, they now have the season series against us, which could hurt us if it ever came down to a tie breaker.

Big game and the boys in red decided to not show up for it. That to must of us tells us, this is not a playoff team. Not if they couldn't get up for this game.

time to go young even if it means a couple three years of losing.

And just how many fans do you think will be left after two or three more years of losing? Judging by your nic I'm sure you could fill us in on a thing or two. And I could only wish that we are in the same spot right now than we were in last year around this time. We'd be leading the Division by 9 points and would have forwards who could actually score.

And just how many fans do you think will be left after two or three more years of losing? Judging by your nic I'm sure you could fill us in on a thing or two. And I could only wish that we are in the same spot right now than we were in last year around this time. We'd be leading the Division by 9 points and would have forwards who could actually score.

I'd like to think the fans would accept 3 years of bottom feeding if the team was rebuilt with youth, and that youth showed solid improvement over those three years. It's better than 5 years of being a bubble team with no signs of any improvement.

Either way, they're losing fans. The only difference is the former has a chance of getting those fans back in the near future.

These fans would not accept 3 years of losing, maybe the forum would but attendance would drop and like other teams whove spent years rebuilding they came brurtally close to relocation. Look at the Pens...I mean they sucked for quite a while attempting to rebuild.

You just cant guarantee in 3 years your issues will be gone, same for Washington its not whether you rebuild its whether you choose a year with an amazing game changer of a player being the top pick and you get lucky to get him and someone else to play with him the next year.

I'd like to think the fans would accept 3 years of bottom feeding if the team was rebuilt with youth, and that youth showed solid improvement over those three years. It's better than 5 years of being a bubble team with no signs of any improvement.

Either way, they're losing fans. The only difference is the former has a chance of getting those fans back in the near future.

I'd like to think that too but, three years of more bottom feeding sure can be an agonizingly long time for finiky fans and corporations who have all kinds of other bandwagons to jump on -- and an owner who doesn't look kindly at losing a bunch of money and not feeling appreciated. I mean it's not like Raleigh has an 80 year hockey tradition with hockey being it's only big sport to count on.

I also noticed your careful wording in "if the team was rebuilt with youth, and that youth showed solid improvement over those three years." Suppose they didn't and instead just turn into a young bottom feeding team? Sooner or later the long season will nip a young, inexperienced team in the you know where. Would you honestly risk the Canes' existence on an "if"?

JR has been slowly making this team younger and bringing in new talent over the last 3 seasons. The new core of the team looks promising and IMO, there's no reason to "blow it up" and as some have suggested. If this team isn't a playoff team in a few weeks, I could see JR offering up some vets for some younger up and comers, prospects that are close or picks.

This market could not withstand a total rebuild IMO,because there are just too many other options to spend your money on here, especially in this economy. JR is doing it right and within the financial constraints he's been given. Slowly replacing expendable contracts with younger players to fill needs with more upside. It would be nice if PK would let him spend a little more but thats not something to count on.

Florida has been bottom feeders for a decade and it took them lots of drafts to get them to where they are this year. Their market is barely there, even with their great play this season. Our attendance isnt great but its consistently there and we know when the team starts putting up wins, the fans are there. Washington also sucked for a long time compiling 1st rounders and if it wasnt for Alex Ovechkin, Im not so sure they be in much better shape than Florida.

JR has been slowly making this team younger and bringing in new talent over the last 3 seasons. The new core of the team looks promising and IMO, there's no reason to "blow it up" and as some have suggested. If this team isn't a playoff team in a few weeks, I could see JR offering up some vets for some younger up and comers, prospects that are close or picks.

That's the problem right now. How far away from a playoff team would this team need to be to trade away vets for youth rather than trading for another "rental" player in hopes of making the playoffs?

This organization needs the playoffs right now. For the complaints about fans not standing for a bottom feeding team, it can't be worse than underachieving bubble team. To get the fans back, they need to make it this year.