The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Trades, Rumors and Suggestions from the fans

That's the problem right now. How far away from a playoff team would this team need to be to trade away vets for youth rather than trading for another "rental" player in hopes of making the playoffs?

This organization needs the playoffs right now. For the complaints about fans not standing for a bottom feeding team, it can't be worse than underachieving bubble team. To get the fans back, they need to make it this year.

In order to get a rental player a team has to give something up of worth. If what JR would have to give up compromises the future plans for this team, then this team will become sellers, that's the cut off line. If JR can find a piece to add that wouldnt cost any of the future or can upgrade what they have, I think he makes a deal and takes the chance that it may be a piece that can get them closer to the playoffs. Brookbank and Melichar were obviously not any part of the future plans so it was worth trading them for a potential 20 goal scorer who can play several roles.

I think the answers will be pretty clear within a few weeks and with Florida and Washington looking pretty solid for the next few years, JR will have to make some moves to compete with them. If it doesn't happen at the deadline, it will in the off season.

I agree though, making the playoffs is priority #1 and if there's a chance this team can still get into the playoffs, JR will be looking add some scoring. His trades are usually long term deals and not quick fixes though. The few quick fix trades he made (Anson Carter) didn't exactly light the world on fire.

This is three years of losing IMO. Not making the playoffs = being in the bottom half of the league.

And the only reason this market is weathering it now is because they won the Cup. If these three years followed the 04 season or came right after the lockout (same thing), we'd really be in trouble.

And the only reason this market is weathering it now is because they won the Cup. If these three years followed the 04 season or came right after the lockout (same thing), we'd really be in trouble.

In a recent interview, JR mentioned retirement. My only hope is that he does this soon and someone else (My guess - Ronny F.) takes over.

In a recent interview, JR mentioned retirement. My only hope is that he does this soon and someone else (My guess - Ronny F.) takes over.

A change might be good but there is never a guarantee for success, not even for a Hall of Famer like Ron.

That's the problem right now. How far away from a playoff team would this team need to be to trade away vets for youth rather than trading for another "rental" player in hopes of making the playoffs?

This organization needs the playoffs right now. For the complaints about fans not standing for a bottom feeding team, it can't be worse than underachieving bubble team. To get the fans back, they need to make it this year.

I agree with you here, after missing the playoffs 2 straight years, a lot of fans have been turned away and missing them 3 straight years makes it even worse. Rebuilding could potentially be a 6 year drought, imagine what the fan base would look like after that.

And to dinz on how everyone gives up after an awful game, yes I agree that everyone's opinion of the team changes after every game, and that right there is a sign there is something wrong. Winning a couple in a row still doesn't change the fact that this team needs to make some changes. Once we win a couple people think it's okay and forget that this team needs changes, then we come out and play like we did last night and people remember we need to do something. I like how IceFrog put it, this team is in hockey purgatory, we can't make the playoffs as is and can't get a good draft pick. We can't stay here forever.

I agree with you here, after missing the playoffs 2 straight years, a lot of fans have been turned away and missing them 3 straight years makes it even worse. Rebuilding could potentially be a 6 year drought, imagine what the fan base would look like after that.

And to dinz on how everyone gives up after an awful game, yes I agree that everyone's opinion of the team changes after every game, and that right there is a sign there is something wrong. Winning a couple in a row still doesn't change the fact that this team needs to make some changes. Once we win a couple people think it's okay and forget that this team needs changes, then we come out and play like we did last night and people remember we need to do something. I like how IceFrog put it, this team is in hockey purgatory, we can't make the playoffs as is and can't get a good draft pick. We can't stay here forever.

No way we make the playoffs this year. The teams we are chasing are too strong. Our best players have been very disapointing Staal/Ward/Pitkanen. The rebuilding phase is inevitable. I believe we will be sellers at the deadline with veteran players like Brindamour/Whitney/Walker being swapped for prospects and draftpicks. The team has to get younger tougher and hungrier. Eric Staal has to be much better next season as he will be in the same salary bracket as Ovechkin/Malkin/Crosby. Who would you prefer to have on this team?

i agree if we dont make playoffs, guys like whitney would be gone, hes my fav player, so i wouldnt be happy, right now, if u asked me i put florida in the east coast con finals, they are pl.aying incredible... a desperate canes tream has to come out tonight..

cant depend on other teams to lose, plus im coming down for 3 games in march, i want them to mean something :unsure:

No way we make the playoffs this year. The teams we are chasing are too strong. Our best players have been very disapointing Staal/Ward/Pitkanen. The rebuilding phase is inevitable. I believe we will be sellers at the deadline with veteran players like Brindamour/Whitney/Walker being swapped for prospects and draftpicks. The team has to get younger tougher and hungrier. Eric Staal has to be much better next season as he will be in the same salary bracket as Ovechkin/Malkin/Crosby. Who would you prefer to have on this team?

Staal's not on the same level as Ovechkin, Malkin and Crosby. Even if he's getting paid like them, if we want him to put up the points needed to justify that salary, we're going to need to get him a 1st line winger. Ruutu and Samsonov are not first liners. His wingers were his biggest problem this year. He's on pace with the amount of goals he normally scores (even with his annual scoring drought), but his assists are way down this season. Which means whoever he's passing to can't finish.

If we want to make the playoffs next year, our PP has to be the #1 priority. It's ridiculous that we're so bad at the powerplay with the amount of talent we have on the PP units. A good PP will usually pot you 1-2 goals a game, and obviously, that's usually the difference between winning and losing.

JRs doing about as good of a job as could be asked with the budget hes given. What other small market team has been competitive the last 4 seasons? JRs rebuilding as we speak and yet they are in the playoff race. Again, he is forced to deal/lose players who are coming into their own and will demand more than he can offer and consequently has to put a team on the ice that has potential to be good but far from a guaranteed contender. What happens if Boychuck, McBain, Sutter and Bowman all reach their potential in five years and are demanding 4+ Mil a year with Staal making 8M to boot? Thats easy for a team without a self imposed cap but not for the Canes.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; this team does not have the assets to trade to be a serious buyer at the trade deadline. Nobody is going to give us a top winger (yes IceFrog, that is what we need to go with Staal) for any of the pieces we currently have on the big club unless we give up 2 or 3 every day players. We can't afford that. The other option would be to raid the cupboard and give up prospects or picks. That cupboard is just now starting to be replenished and J.R. can't (or shouldn't) go that route. Young players who can contribute and aren't yet making a ton of money is how a small market team with a self imposed cap will be able to compete. J.R. doesn't have the money to sign the big name free agent, so he will have to grow his own.

Here are the options I see available:

1. The Canes stay pretty much as they are with J.R. possibly making another fringe move like Jokinen. I don't see that type of move as making a big impact because all that is going to bring is a depth player, and we have plenty of those already. Kabs is on waivers again, but I don't see that as the start of anything big. With that being said, the Canes would hope to make the playoffs as is. To bring the top winger we would need would result in the loss of a Sutter, Boychuk, or 1st round picks. If there is any possibility of a prospect being traded, I think it would be a goalie.

2. The Canes take a slide and fall out of the playoff race and J.R. moves a few players. The ones that I see as marketable would be Whitney and Walker. There are a few others that may draw some interest like LaRose, Seidenberg, and Eaves, but the return will not be that much. Our players that would draw the most interest would be the guys we can't afford to lose Cullen, Gleason, Williams, Pitkanen, Corvo, and Ruutu. Ruutu may be a possible trade if J.R. sees no way to resign him (and I would lead the attack if Ruutu were to go). I don't see J.R. doing anything as long as we are on the fringe of the playoffs because of the aforementioned ticket sales and fan issues. The way for this team to be profitable (as we are told) is to make the playoffs and I don't see Karmonos letting J.R. throw in the towel as long as there is a chance.

Staal's not on the same level as Ovechkin, Malkin and Crosby. Even if he's getting paid like them, if we want him to put up the points needed to justify that salary, we're going to need to get him a 1st line winger. Ruutu and Samsonov are not first liners. His wingers were his biggest problem this year. He's on pace with the amount of goals he normally scores (even with his annual scoring drought), but his assists are way down this season. Which means whoever he's passing to can't finish.

This is the same point I've tried to make for the last couple of months. If people want to see more consistency out of Staal, the front office needs to add atleast one additional player of his caliber on the roster. If you look around the league; Ovechkin has Semin, Crosby has Malkin, Lecavalier has St. Louis, Thornton has Marleau, Datsyuk has Zetterberg, Kane has Toews, and etc. If the front office is somehow able to dump the salaries of players like Brind'Amour, Kaberle, and Walker, that additional salary would be enough to lure a top free agent winger to Carolina.

This is the same point I've tried to make for the last couple of months. If people want to see more consistency out of Staal, the front office needs to add atleast one additional player of his caliber on the roster. If you look around the league; Ovechkin has Semin, Crosby has Malkin, Lecavalier has St. Louis, Thornton has Marleau, Datsyuk has Zetterberg, Kane has Toews, and etc. If the front office is somehow able to dump the salaries of players like Brind'Amour, Kaberle, and Walker, that additional salary would be enough to lure a top free agent winger to Carolina.

right, ... and make room at the same time to bring in some good prospects.

Most of that additional salary would go towards Staal's unwarranted 4 million dollar raise. JR would still get cheap on us and sign another reclamation project like an Afinogenov. I would like to know when the front office is going to realize you have to spend money to make money. I am tired of this team picking up other teams scraps and hanging on to players way past their prime just to save a few dollars.

....JR would still get cheap on us and sign another reclamation project like an Afinogenov....

Why do you hurt me so badly by saying this? :) (I know you're not suggesting this).

I had this vision of Maxie skating around, dipsy-doodle at one face-off circle, while Samsonov did the same at the other face-off circle by skating in opposite direction. Had to put my head down from dizziness just thinking about it.

Why do you hurt me so badly by saying this? :) (I know you're not suggesting this).

I had this vision of Maxie skating around, dipsy-doodle at one face-off circle, while Samsonov did the same at the other face-off circle by skating in opposite direction. Had to put my head down from dizziness just thinking about it.

With our teams luck.. they would probably skate into one another, injuring themselves for the remainder of the season.

59 won't be in a Canes jersey next year.

A grinding energy 4th line guy who is gonna score close to 20 this year will get a nice paycheck and as an UFA, he will have all the power.

I've been telling people it wouldn't surprise me to see him in Detroit as he is from Michigan and they always seem to have those grinders who score 20.

I guess the whole point of this thread is it wouldn't surprise me if he gets traded at the deadline b/c I highly doubt he will resign here.

I have been wrong many times, but I really don't think he will be on this team next year. I know everyone loves him and think its stupid to not resign him, but the bottom line is we won't be willing to spend 5 million over 3 years when we need every dollar we can to get a scorer to play with Staal.

59 won't be in a Canes jersey next year.

A grinding energy 4th line guy who is gonna score close to 20 this year will get a nice paycheck and as an UFA, he will have all the power.

I've been telling people it wouldn't surprise me to see him in Detroit as he is from Michigan and they always seem to have those grinders who score 20.

I guess the whole point of this thread is it wouldn't surprise me if he gets traded at the deadline b/c I highly doubt he will resign here.

I have been wrong many times, but I really don't think he will be on this team next year. I know everyone loves him and think its stupid to not resign him, but the bottom line is we won't be willing to spend 5 million over 3 years when we need every dollar we can to get a scorer to play with Staal.

Unless he's part of a larger deal, I wouldn't expect to see LaRose dealt by the deadline as the return would be minimal. The front office should only be concerned with unloading the larger contracts.

If JR knows that Larose and Seidenburg™, who are both UFA after this season, are not interested at all in staying here or their salary demands do not fit into his budget, it would be wise to try to trade them to teams looking for an energy 4th line forward and a depth D-man, even if the return are 4th-7th round picks. Otherwise, they'll just walk away in July, and we'd get bugger all.

I would hope that Eaves really plays well with Cullen and Whitney for the next few games. I would attempt to trade him along with Seidenberg and a conditional draft pick to Minnesota for Marian Gaborik. From what im hearing, they are looking for pieces to build for a playoff run, not top flight prospects, which they wouldnt get anyway, considering he is injured.

Samsonov-Staal-Gaborik

Whitney-Cullen-Ruutu

Jokinen-Brind`amour-LaRose

Then, when williams returns, move Brindy to the fourth line again, Ruutu to the third line, or put Justin on the third line. I think that trading eaves insures that Larose and Jokinen are re-signed, and I also believe Carson and Rodney are ready to assume the role that Seidenberg would leave. Who knows, a defenseman from one of the teams with cap room problems might be available for a cheap price.

The problem with that thinking is Gaborik's trade value is at an extreme low right now. He's only played 6 games all season.

Because of this, the Wild's default option is to keep Gaborik and hope he returns healthy enough to push them into the playoffs. So, in order for another team to grab Gaborik away from Minnesota, they'd have to seriously overpay to get him.