The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Trades, Rumors and Suggestions from the fans

Based on JR's history of recycling players, and coaches, it would make sense, but I don't think it will happen. He's rumored to be going to teams like Boston or Buffalo, so we would be bidding with other teams that want him at the deadline. This is not what JR would want to get into. Who do we have to offer? Seidenberg, Eaves, Walker? I don't think a combination of them would be enough, so I see him going to Boston.

I'm one who would love to see Cole back in a Canes sweater. He isn't the same player he was before the injury but he still has speed and grit and would help on the Staal line. He also brings a spirit that has been lacking on the team this year. But I don't know if I would like to see Ruutu go. He has been one of our players that has brought his A game to every game. It also doesn't make sense to me that two bubble teams would swap forwards straight up. There might be more to this than just a rumour but I expect there might be more to this than just a one for one swap.

Cole does have some value, but it would be on the third line. Any move to get Cole would have to be with that in mind. Thus a third liner going the other way, or a lower tier'd defenseman *cough Kaberle cough*. Cole and Staal did work very well when Cole was pre-injury, but those days seem to be gone. Even if we did try to pick up Cole for the third line, for say Walker, there is the matter of his contract.

Cole for Pitkanen makes about as much sense as Cole for Ruutu which makes about as much sense as the old "submarine with screendoors" joke. JR got a steal on that deal. No returns.

Cole does have some value, but it would be on the third line. Any move to get Cole would have to be with that in mind. Thus a third liner going the other way, or a lower tier'd defenseman *cough Kaberle cough*. Cole and Staal did work very well when Cole was pre-injury, but those days seem to be gone. Even if we did try to pick up Cole for the third line, for say Walker, there is the matter of his contract.

Cole for Pitkanen makes about as much sense as Cole for Ruutu which makes about as much sense as the old "submarine with screendoors" joke. JR got a steal on that deal. No returns.

Coles a 3rd liner? lets be serious, Pittsburgh was rumored to have interest in Cole to play wing on Crosbys line. Players learn quickly what a system can do to aid in their production, Cole doesnt fit in Edmonton, but in the right system he can still put up 60+ points.

This is some sort of sarcasm, right? Yeah, let's trade our 25-year old #1 defenseman for a 30-year old impending UFA forward. :rolleyes:

Yes (sarcasm). Now on a serious note, Joni isn't our No. 1 by a long shot.

Then who is? Joni plays in every situation, he has the most icetime out of all our defensemen, and he puts up the points as well.

i don't know if this has been brought up or not, but i didn't feel like reading through all of the post. anyway, i just read this on tiops.com http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/nhl-hurricanes-bruins-sabres-pursuing-eric-cole/7018/' target="_blank">http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/nh...eric-cole/7018/[/post]

ruutu for eric cole. as much as i like eric cole, and would love to see him back in carolina i do not think it is worth losing ruutu. he has been one of the few good consistent players on the canes this year. just thought i would put this out there, and see what others think.

If we were to do this it would be one of the stupidiest trades in the history of hockey. Cole in my opinion is washed up and Ruutu is in the prime of his career. Cole is also very injury prone as he has proved in years past. Overall this trade if it were to happen would make ZERO sense.

Then who is? Joni plays in every situation, he has the most icetime out of all our defensemen, and he puts up the points as well.

Corvo is also playing in every situation, and he puts up a little more points and much more goals. I'm actually surprised he doesnt have as much ice time as Pitkanen because he plays with Gleason a lot. Remember in the offseason when Pitkanen was signed there was a big buzz around a Pits-Gleason pairing? Well that pairing has turned into Corvo-Gleason because Corvo has really picked up his all around play this season.

I don't see us as having a #1 defenseman, rather three guys tied at #2. Corvo and Pitkanen play a lot of minutes on the PP, yet Gleason plays a lot of even strength and PK minutes, you could argue who is more important but it would still be close.

While it's certainly debatable who our #1 defenseman is (you could make fair arguments for either of Pitkanen, Gleason or Corvo), how is he not it by a "long shot"? He leads the defense in average time on ice, +/- and points-per-game (one point fewer than Corvo in 10 fewer games).

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id...mp;blogger_id=1

Eklund has us interested in Matthew Lombardi, 26 year old center from the Flames.

Here's the scouting report from sportsnet

Assets

Owns excellent penalty-killing skills. Makes his linemates better around him because of deft setup ability and great speed. Is an accomplished face-off man.

Flaws

Not very big, his strength needs more improvement. Will need to continue upgrading his level of consistency in order to make it big in the NHL.

Career potential

Speedy two-way center.

Player Page

Assets

Owns excellent penalty-killing skills. Makes his linemates better around him because of deft setup ability and great speed. Is an accomplished face-off man.

Flaws

Not very big, his strength needs more improvement. Will need to continue upgrading his level of consistency in order to make it big in the NHL.

Career potential

Speedy two-way center.

If I know JR that deal is already done, he pretty much defines the general make up of our team. Only problem is he's never been a Cane before ;) But on a serious note he is having a pretty good season, and we could use him as a good 2nd or 3rd line center. However if Cullen can keep his play up I think we might have ourselves a pretty good 2nd line Center, which has been our need for a while. I just dont see it happening for a few reasons. Lombardi takes up 5 mil of cap space and we would probably have to give up more than JR is willing to. Plus Calgary probably isn't looking to deal him since they are having a good season.

If I know JR that deal is already done, he pretty much defines the general make up of our team. Only problem is he's never been a Cane before ;) But on a serious note he is having a pretty good season, and we could use him as a good 2nd or 3rd line center. However if Cullen can keep his play up I think we might have ourselves a pretty good 2nd line Center, which has been our need for a while. I just dont see it happening for a few reasons. Lombardi takes up 5 mil of cap space and we would probably have to give up more than JR is willing to. Plus Calgary probably isn't looking to deal him since they are having a good season.
Lombardi's cap hit is actually $1.817M, not 5. But you're right, I don't see Calgary moving him.

Defenseman? The guy constantly jumps in on offense like a winger and has to be covered for by a forward. He needs to stay home more. Gleason and Corvo get paired against the opponents best.

Pitkanen and Babs were owned by the Avs today and got knocked around all day. Glad Pitkanen scored and assisted, because he was also out there for both Avs goals.

He may be better than our others, but not Gleason or Corvo.

Coles a 3rd liner? lets be serious, Pittsburgh was rumored to have interest in Cole to play wing on Crosbys line. Players learn quickly what a system can do to aid in their production, Cole doesnt fit in Edmonton, but in the right system he can still put up 60+ points.

I am serious. Cole as a first liner? Let's be serious. Cole has 24 points good for 180th amoung forwards. Many behind him on the list have nearly as many points in fewer games. Currently that kind of production would put him on our third line. Yes, he is on a low scoring team, but so are we. Cole was a very dangerous 1st liner before his injury, and he may get his game back, but he hasn't yet. He was in the perfect system last year under Lavi right here, he put up 51 points. Not bad, but if anything he is trailing off. He was a great Hurricane and a fan favorite for good reason, but it only makes sense to bring him back if he is valued as at 3rd, or maybe 2nd liner.

I am serious. Cole as a first liner? Let's be serious. Cole has 24 points good for 180th amoung forwards. Many behind him on the list have nearly as many points in fewer games. Currently that kind of production would put him on our third line. Yes, he is on a low scoring team, but so are we. Cole was a very dangerous 1st liner before his injury, and he may get his game back, but he hasn't yet. He was in the perfect system last year under Lavi right here, he put up 51 points. Not bad, but if anything he is trailing off. He was a great Hurricane and a fan favorite for good reason, but it only makes sense to bring him back if he is valued as at 3rd, or maybe 2nd liner.
Cole would easily replace LaRose on the second line.

But with Staal? That would require moving Ruutu off his line, unless you played one of them out of position at LW. Let's compare Cole last year to Ruutu this year:

Ruutu at even strength: 29 points in 57 games (.51PPG),

Cole at even strength: 33 points in in 73 games (.45PPG)

Ruutu overall: 37 points in 58 games (.64PPG)

Cole overall: 51 points in 73 games (.7PPG)

So Ruutu actually outproduces Cole at ES, while having only a drop-off of .06PPG overall...hardly significant. If you extrapolate their stats over 82 games you get 52 for Ruutu and 57 for Cole.

This season it's not even close. Ruutu 37 points, Cole 24.

If you want to look at a possible reason for Staal's drop-off in point production (which I don't believe can be blamed entirely on linemates), factor in this:

- Last season Staal had Whitney and Stillman as his usual LWers, this season it's Samsonov. That's a much bigger drop-off than from Cole to Ruutu. I'm not sure why we haven't tried Whitney much with Staal this season.

- Staal went on that amazing run at the end of last season after Brind'amour was injured, which boosted his point-per-game average by quite a bit.

Defenseman? The guy constantly jumps in on offense like a winger and has to be covered for by a forward. He needs to stay home more. Gleason and Corvo get paired against the opponents best.

Pitkanen and Babs were owned by the Avs today and got knocked around all day. Glad Pitkanen scored and assisted, because he was also out there for both Avs goals.

He's an offensive defenseman. That's what they do. Pinch. If Pitkanen weren't a good defenseman he wouldn't be playing close to 19 minutes a night at even strength, nor would he be leading the D in +/-.

Gleason-Corvo are more frequently matched against the other team's best players more than Pitkanen, but it's hardly like Pitkanen is out there against chumps.

Here's Pitkanen's ten most common forward opponents (http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/200809players/player0336.php[/post]):

1. Mike Richards 2. Simon Gagne 3. Stephen Weiss 4. Jeff Carter 5. David Booth 6. Scott Hartnell 7. Mike Knuble 8. Sidney Crosby 9. Nathan Horton 10. David Krejci

Here are Corvo's (http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/200809players/player0340.php):

1. Ilya Kovalchuk 2. Nathan Horton 3. Jeff Carter 4. Mike Richards 5. Alex Kovalev 6. Sergei Kostitsyn 7. Tomas Plekanec 8. Marc Savard 9. Alexei Ponikarovsky 10. Phil Kessel

He jumps into the play, because it creates more options for the forwards. You want a defenseman talented enough to do that, because it creates more opportunities to score. Joni can do that, and still has the speed to come back and cover a forward if he gets caught pinching.

What I enjoy watching is this:

07-08 Rant: We need a #1 defenseman!! Heck, even a offensive defenseman!!

We get Corvo, one of our best acquisitions in the last couple of years (not the best, but still) and Pitkanen

08-09 Rant: We need a shutdown defenseman!!

I guess we can trade ... I dunno... Eaves, Samsonov, Cullen, LaRose and a couple of others for Phaneuf.

<sarcasm warning>

What I enjoy watching is this:

07-08 Rant: We need a #1 defenseman!! Heck, even a offensive defenseman!!

We get Corvo, one of our best acquisitions in the last couple of years (not the best, but still) and Pitkanen

08-09 Rant: We need a shutdown defenseman!!

I guess we can trade ... I dunno... Eaves, Samsonov, Cullen, LaRose and a couple of others for Phaneuf.

<sarcasm warning>

Calgary would surely demand Kaberle in return! :lol:

If we are seriously interested in getting Cole back, then I say we wait till the off-season and re-sign him. He is willing to come back on a discount, that is if he still really wants to play here. That would mean we would need to shell out a bit of cap-room to fit under PK's budget unless we dont re-sign Larose. If all goes well, we could have a line set-up next year of:

Cole-Staal-Ruutu

Whitney-Cullen-Williams

Sammy-(Jokinen?)-Larose

Bayda-Sutter-Eaves

This is assuming Brindy retires or something along those lines. Also assuming Larose re-signs. Also assuming JR doesnt try to bring in a true second line center. The way Cullen is playing, he wouldnt. Samsonov on the 3rd line doesnt bother me, because he hasnt really done that great on the 1st line, and there is really no other spot for him if Cole comes back. I dont think we would bump Whitney, Williams or Ruutu down to accomodate Samsonov.

I love Cole and hope we get him back, but.........I am not willing to give up Ruutu, Samsonov, Whitney, Cullen, Pitkanen, Corvo for him. If we can get cole back by trading Larose, Eaves, Sutter, or draft picks then yes. Otherwise keep moving foward, unfortunately Cole's production keeps going down,down, down every year. Samsonov is one of a kind an I beleive he still has 30 goal seasons in him, Ruutu is the most well rounded consistent player we've ever had, Cullen is obviously showing his worth right now, Pitkanen and Corvo are 2 of the most talented players we've ever had and doing exactly what we wanted them for. Great defense and high scoring. Whitney is our most consistent scorer year after year.

Let me just say....If we Trade Ruutu for anybody, it will be the stupidest move ever made in Jr's history, I love Erik Cole, but I have grown to love Ruutu more, he will be a playoff leader and does not slump.

have you watched any oiler games lately or do you just pull his stats up when its convenient. There is not one team in the NHL that would have cole as a 3rd liner on the depth chart. Oh and I didnt say anything about him being a first liner, i believe that was the Pens and the Bruins, you may want to talk to their management and let them know hes a 3rd liner, a 3rd liner on the Canes, pure lunacy. Im sure you were probably one of the people who ridiculed the samsonov,ruutu and corvo deals because of the stats they were putting up with there previous teams, right?

Staying home is not Pitkanen's game. His game is to create offense and jump into plays. The forwards have to be aware when he and Corvo are on the ice, b/c both guys first instinct is to jump into the play and create offense. As the year went on, the forwards have gotten better at knowing when these 2 are on the ice and covering. Not to mention Pitkanen is a good skater that if he does pinch, he can get back in a jiffy. I"ve seen this guy outskate our forwards to get back. Asking Pitkanen to stay home is like asking Conboy to get through a game without a fight.

....Asking Pitkanen to stay home is like asking Conboy to get through a game without a fight.

Not "asking" him to always stay home. Suggesting that he stay home more than he does at present, which is close to never. I'd never ask Conboy to skip a fight.

Anyway, this isn't about hating on Pitkanen. As I've indicated, I wouldn't trade him back for Cole. We can get Cole for $$$ only after this year. Joni is a clear upgrade to last year's back line.