The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Trades, Rumors and Suggestions from the fans

have you watched any oiler games lately or do you just pull his stats up when its convenient. There is not one team in the NHL that would have cole as a 3rd liner on the depth chart. Oh and I didnt say anything about him being a first liner, i believe that was the Pens and the Bruins, you may want to talk to their management and let them know hes a 3rd liner, a 3rd liner on the Canes, pure lunacy. Im sure you were probably one of the people who ridiculed the samsonov,ruutu and corvo deals because of the stats they were putting up with there previous teams, right?

Interesting how you criticize me for not watching the Oilers (yet daring to have a fact based opinion), but then you are "sure" that I was one of the people who ridiculed the Samsonov, Ruutu, and Corvo deals, but you clearly haven't bothered to read my posts on those very issues. Just for the record I was in favor of all of those deals, go back in research it one night when you're not watching Oiler's games. And just for the record, despite your tendency to project Cole as he was, rather than as he is, I repeat 180th forward in points. There are 30 teams. 6 top forwards per team. That's 180 top 6 forwards in the league. But some guys below him were out for much of the season. Thus, he is producing at the level of a third line forward. I know it hurts when facts get in the way, but there it is.

He was a great player. He plays hard, that's why he hasn't been crucified in Edmonton, they have Penner for that. But the guy is not producing at a first line level. Maybe at a last guy on the second line level on a bad offensive team (us), but not a second line level on a good offensive team. We don't need a guy to barrell down the wing and not score. We need a scorer.

I am also fine with bringing Cole back but only under circumstances that won't happen: can't give up much, can't pay too much, can't put him on the top line. You know, if you want to put him on the second line, at least until Williams comes back he could be that last guy on the second line. Then, when Williams is back oops, third line. Yes he is outproducing Chad LaRose, barely. But compare their salaries. Cole as he has produced this year, on the third line would be an upgrade. Not so much on the other lines.

Interesting how you criticize me for not watching the Oilers (yet daring to have a fact based opinion), but then you are "sure" that I was one of the people who ridiculed the Samsonov, Ruutu, and Corvo deals, but you clearly haven't bothered to read my posts on those very issues. Just for the record I was in favor of all of those deals, go back in research it one night when you're not watching Oiler's games. And just for the record, despite your tendency to project Cole as he was, rather than as he is, I repeat 180th forward in points. There are 30 teams. 6 top forwards per team. That's 180 top 6 forwards in the league. But some guys below him were out for much of the season. Thus, he is producing at the level of a third line forward. I know it hurts when facts get in the way, but there it is.

He was a great player. He plays hard, that's why he hasn't been crucified in Edmonton, they have Penner for that. But the guy is not producing at a first line level. Maybe at a last guy on the second line level on a bad offensive team (us), but not a second line level on a good offensive team. We don't need a guy to barrell down the wing and not score. We need a scorer.

I am also fine with bringing Cole back but only under circumstances that won't happen: can't give up much, can't pay too much, can't put him on the top line. You know, if you want to put him on the second line, at least until Williams comes back he could be that last guy on the second line. Then, when Williams is back oops, third line. Yes he is outproducing Chad LaRose, barely. But compare their salaries. Cole as he has produced this year, on the third line would be an upgrade. Not so much on the other lines.

The problem is everything you say about cole seems to be based on his stats this year, where others watch him play and may see his skill set being better suited in another system. Again, your mathematics, 180 players times 30 teams divided by injuries or whatever doesnt seem to be supported by the fact that Pittsburgh is rumored to be interested in Cole to play on Crosbys line. Maybe you need to provide these teams with your formulas, then they can get rid of all their scouts and base everything off of stats.

I think this team just needs a legit scoring forward, but, I don't think the scoring forward is going to come until draft time or right before training camp. This team might have what it takes to get there and then JR could retool during the summer. Teams are going to be asking for too much and the 'Canes can't afford to give a lot. I could see the Pens overpaying for Cole, I can't really see Cole and Orpik playing together though. You never know. I love this time of year but at the same time I can't stand it. So much speculation it makes my head spin.

The problem is everything you say about cole seems to be based on his stats this year, where others watch him play and may see his skill set being better suited in another system. Again, your mathematics, 180 players times 30 teams divided by injuries or whatever doesnt seem to be supported by the fact that Pittsburgh is rumored to be interested in Cole to play on Crosbys line. Maybe you need to provide these teams with your formulas, then they can get rid of all their scouts and base everything off of stats.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong. I think the Pittsburgh thing is a rumor, but maybe it's fact. I'm not sure I would be looking to Pittsburgh for guidance on how to run a franchise at this moment though. There is always a balance between actual production and judgement as to how a player "looks". If you've really been watching a lot of Oilers games, perhaps you do have some special insight as to how Cole has looked. If you really have and think he really looks good, I would be interested in your specific observations. But he has not produced. That would mean actual points on the actual score sheet. I think we need a guy who can actually produce points at a solid second line level. In my opinion that is not Cole at this point in his career. Not for what we would have to give up to get him at least.

Oh, and I am also basing this on what Cole did in the prior two years in the perfect system for him, ours under Lavi playing with Staal.

Pittsburgh was interested in Miroslav Satan to play on Crosby's line and signed him for $3.5M. Does that make Satan a first liner?

Pascal Dupuis has played on Crosby's line for most of the season and has a whopping 19 points. Is he a first liner? Strangely, Cole is actually an upgrade on these two.

Just because a team with approximately one good scoring winger (Petr Sykora) wants Cole to play on their top line doesn't mean he's a first liner. He scored at .7PPG last season playing with Staal, which is hardly a first line number. This season he's not even at a half a point-per-game while playing 17 minutes a night.

When you think of good teams in the past what do you think of.

Leclair to Lindros

Messier to Gretzky

Jagr to Lemiuex

Staal to.....

We gotta find someone who can play with Staal, it was supposed to be Williams but it's just not happening. Cole the same, Ruutu when he scores is often a product of do it yourself behavior same for Staal. Our whole first line is do it yourself'ers, that just doesnt work in the end.

I think whitney had good chemistry with staal, but since they started playing with lines when Maurice came there have been alot of do it yourself lines like you said...

Cole probably doesn't even want to come here since we traded him away. I can't see giving anyone up to get him other than maybe Eaves. Why bring him in at all-he will still be a free agent after this year.

Staal needs someone. I think Cullen and Whitney are a great pair and have thought Cullen should have been second line last season before his injury. We are not a good fit for Cole and he knows it. I like the guy but he would be better off somewhere else.

Who is available and a the best fit for Staal? Should we get a young solid 3rd line Center?

I think whitney had good chemistry with staal, but since they started playing with lines when Maurice came there have been alot of do it yourself lines like you said...

You mean in the past? Because Staal's line has included Samsonov and Ruutu basically all season. Not just since Mo came back.

Honestly i think rod has lost his edge and should move to fourth line and give way to some young talent like Redsox-n-Canes said, HIs play just hasent been there since he started to get injured... Also the Cullen, Whitney, Larose line shouldnt be split up they are on a role

Cole probably doesn't even want to come here since we traded him away. I can't see giving anyone up to get him other than maybe Eaves. Why bring him in at all-he will still be a free agent after this year.

Well, if we let him go another team is most likely going to grab him before we can get him on July 1st. Like, the asking price isn't going to be tiny but the Oil want young, and well, Cole really isn't. Saying that though, he could still be very useful. He's on pace for 32 points, can bring a little more aggression to the team and he's got experience under his belt, which could be used for so much good here on a Canes team that has youth, and lots of it!

And one more thing, we could always just use him as a rental and then on July 1st, we go and sign another full - time LW as I do realize Cole really isn't your average 1st liner...

Hey, maybe I'm wrong. I think the Pittsburgh thing is a rumor, but maybe it's fact. I'm not sure I would be looking to Pittsburgh for guidance on how to run a franchise at this moment though. There is always a balance between actual production and judgement as to how a player "looks". If you've really been watching a lot of Oilers games, perhaps you do have some special insight as to how Cole has looked. If you really have and think he really looks good, I would be interested in your specific observations. But he has not produced. That would mean actual points on the actual score sheet. I think we need a guy who can actually produce points at a solid second line level. In my opinion that is not Cole at this point in his career. Not for what we would have to give up to get him at least.

Oh, and I am also basing this on what Cole did in the prior two years in the perfect system for him, ours under Lavi playing with Staal.

I believe he had 51 points if I'm not mistaken. Think about what you are saying and consider the points Sergei, Corvo, and Joni had before they showed up in Raleigh. What I am getting from your posts is that a guy is going to be consistent (good or bad) no matter where he ends up. And that makes about as much sense as a football bat!

According to Chuck K on 850 The Buzz (CanesCountry.com has a blog about this) the Canes are looking to trade for a defensive defenseman. This makes sense because we signed Melichar to be that guy, but it didnt pan out. We have too many offensive blueliners, so my guess is we are trying to trade one of those guys. That leaves Corvo, Pitkanen, Babchuk, Kaberle. Noone wants Kabs, thats obvious. Babchuk, must be it IMO.

Cole is past his prime. When you have a budget that doesn't include getting anywhere near the cap maximum why waste room on bringing back a player who is on the wrong side of thirty with a major injury past. If they are really looking at that why not bring back Geoff Sanderson, Robert Kron, Bates Bataglia and even Pat Verbeek.

Watching the post-game show last night on Versus and they were talking about the Toronto Maple Leafs and how they were probably looking to unload some players and the name Nik Antropov came up.

Everytime he was mentioned it was also emphasized that he was "huge" ... checked out his stats on the Leafs page and he is 6'6" and 230 lbs., just the kind of big and bruising forward that we could use.

I think so far he only has 20 goals this year, but heard when having a good year he gets upwards of 30 goals ... but heck even a 20 goal scorer would be welcome addition to the 2008/2009 Hurricanes .... and did I mention that he was HUGE?

What do you guys think, worth trying to trade for or obtain?

The Leafs are asking for a 1st round draft pick for him. His current contract with the Leafs is for 2mil.

He has averaged around 20 goals for the Leafs the past 2 seasons and has 20g / 24a this season.

He becomes a UFA on July 1st, so IF the Canes explored that possibility, he would be here at least til then.

Watching the post-game show last night on Versus and they were talking about the Toronto Maple Leafs and how they were probably looking to unload some players and the name Nik Antropov came up.

Everytime he was mentioned it was also emphasized that he was "huge" ... checked out his stats on the Leafs page and he is 6'6" and 230 lbs., just the kind of big and bruising forward that we could use.

I think so far he only has 20 goals this year, but heard when having a good year he gets upwards of 30 goals ... but heck even a 20 goal scorer would be welcome addition to the 2008/2009 Hurricanes .... and did I mention that he was HUGE?

What do you guys think, worth trying to trade for or obtain?

I think Antropov would be a great addition. I would love to have someone his size that can score too. The problem I see is who to give up and/or where does he fit in the lineup?

At this point draft pics shouldn't be anything that holds us back from a good trade that will help us get to the playoffs this year or the next couple years. We have plenty of players "developing" in the minors. We need some young veteran players with a offensive upside. So hopefully the front office is looking ahead but for this year and not 4 yrs down the road. So much can change with draft pics and its not like we are in the hunt for the top 2 guys or anything. Lets get 1 or 2 guys to get us over the hump for the next couple years. Plus that will also help us sign guys that are already on the team to new contracts if they see we are commited to winning!!JMO

It's no secret that Toronto is unloading their weight right now, that being said, with Coach Mo having some short history with any of Toronto's players.. it only makes sense to have them as a trade partner. Antropov would a great addition to our lineup, Kaberle as well on our blueline. Both players would give us some size and an offensive prowess. I think the idea of them packaged together would definately be in our teams best interest if we are gonna be in this thing for the longhaul!! Playoffs or golf.. I choose.. the freakin' PLAYOFFS!!!! GO 'CANES!!!!