The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Trades, Rumors and Suggestions from the fans

At this point draft pics shouldn't be anything that holds us back from a good trade that will help us get to the playoffs this year or the next couple years. We have plenty of players "developing" in the minors. We need some young veteran players with a offensive upside. So hopefully the front office is looking ahead but for this year and not 4 yrs down the road. So much can change with draft pics and its not like we are in the hunt for the top 2 guys or anything. Lets get 1 or 2 guys to get us over the hump for the next couple years. Plus that will also help us sign guys that are already on the team to new contracts if they see we are commited to winning!!JMO

I tend to agree with this if it gets us the 100 point Staal back. I think the right guy to go beside Staal would make a big difference.

I believe he had 51 points if I'm not mistaken. Think about what you are saying and consider the points Sergei, Corvo, and Joni had before they showed up in Raleigh. What I am getting from your posts is that a guy is going to be consistent (good or bad) no matter where he ends up. And that makes about as much sense as a football bat!

Ah yes, the football bat analogy. I honestly can't make sense of your post. Corvo and Joni are defensemen who were always known as offensive defensemen before they came here. Sami did benefit from coming here to be sure, was it the system, or just getting first/second line minutes? Yes, the system does make a difference, I never said that it didn't. Cole maxed out in our system. He was .698 ppg his last year here, on the first line, with first line minutes with Staal in a wide open system. That production would put him about 115th in the league (107th for forwards) this year IF he were that productive, of course he is actually about 180th in the league. Neither are first line numbers. Also, last I checked we don't run Lavi's system anymore, at least not in it's flat out wide open form.

I think people want to think of Cole in his prime. Of course, I'd put that Cole on our first line in a hearbeat. In 05-06 he was basically a point per game player, much of it in 5 on 5 play. He was a star. Perhaps he could get it back. Perhaps not. He is certainly being paid like he already has it back. You can continue to think of Cole in his prime, but I don't think JR will make that mistake.

At this point draft pics shouldn't be anything that holds us back from a good trade that will help us get to the playoffs this year or the next couple years. We have plenty of players "developing" in the minors. We need some young veteran players with a offensive upside. So hopefully the front office is looking ahead but for this year and not 4 yrs down the road. So much can change with draft pics and its not like we are in the hunt for the top 2 guys or anything. Lets get 1 or 2 guys to get us over the hump for the next couple years. Plus that will also help us sign guys that are already on the team to new contracts if they see we are commited to winning!!JMO

The canes should go after guys who will help for the next few years but that means no UFA's. I'm fine sending a pick or two away if the return is worth it in the long run but that means the players who come back need to stick around and not go somewhere else next year. This team is not playing well enough to be able to afford rental players. I don't want to see this team lunge for the playoffs, sell off some future assets and then fall flat on their face like Atlanta did a few years ago when they acquired Tkachuk and Zhitnik. Any major move needs to improve the team this year and next year.

It's no secret that Toronto is unloading their weight right now, that being said, with Coach Mo having some short history with any of Toronto's players.. it only makes sense to have them as a trade partner. Antropov would a great addition to our lineup, Kaberle as well on our blueline. Both players would give us some size and an offensive prowess. I think the idea of them packaged together would definately be in our teams best interest if we are gonna be in this thing for the longhaul!! Playoffs or golf.. I choose.. the freakin' PLAYOFFS!!!! GO 'CANES!!!!

But that history goes both ways. It could also be a problem if Mo had issues on or off the ice with those players.

Have you ever watched Antropov play? The guy is a monster, but is softer than Marty Brodeur's gut. If you think Staal takes extended periods off then this guys should be considered vacations. Don't waste any prospects or cap space on a guy this disinterested in hockey. Considereing the guy is not that old and Toronto is looking to cut dead weight I think it tells you all you need to know about the guy. The only two forwards that seem to show up for the Leafs on a consistant basis are Blake (seems to be recovered from any treatment) and Moore, and Blake's contract is a little steep to consider.

According to Chuck K on 850 The Buzz (CanesCountry.com has a blog about this) the Canes are looking to trade for a defensive defenseman. This makes sense because we signed Melichar to be that guy, but it didnt pan out. We have too many offensive blueliners, so my guess is we are trying to trade one of those guys. That leaves Corvo, Pitkanen, Babchuk, Kaberle. Noone wants Kabs, thats obvious. Babchuk, must be it IMO.

You forgot Seidenberg who is set to be a UFA July 1st. IMHO, Seidenberg will get more on the market than Babchuk will. I think if we do a d for d trade, Seidenberg goes the other way.

You forgot Seidenberg who is set to be a UFA July 1st. IMHO, Seidenberg will get more on the market than Babchuk will. I think if we do a d for d trade, Seidenberg goes the other way.

Not that I think Seids is untouchable but if we are looking to get more defensive defensemen, why trade one away?

Not that I think Seids is untouchable but if we are looking to get more defensive defensemen, why trade one away?

Because Seids isn't a defensive defenseman. He's an offensive one, and since teams are looking for that in their upcoming playoff runs, that's why he's the most likely candidate.

The main problem is that there are only 3 games (vs BUF, @ATL, @WAS) left until the trade deadline, and we're still not clearly fitting into a buyer or a seller category. If we lose all 3 games, I'd say we should act like sellers and try to deal underperforming veterans for prospects and draft picks.

However it looks to me that we'll be in the same position we were in the last 2 seasons - not good enough to be a sure playoff team looking to trade away some future for veteran experience and leadership, but also not bad enough to give up on the season and try to retool or rebuild by trading away veterans for draft picks or prospects.

Yeah i think we should offer up some young guys, maybe bayda and some one, or wait until the off season to get cole back Ruutu has become a player ofr us i think we need to keep for a while

Yeah i think we should offer up some young guys, maybe bayda and some one, or wait until the off season to get cole back Ruutu has become a player ofr us i think we need to keep for a while

bayda may not be a bad idea. he has potential he just doesn't seem to be doing much with this team. much like cole isn't working out w/ the oilers. cole seems to thrive with the hurricanes. he may not be what he use to be, but i could see him returning to much better form if he returns back to the canes. there seems to be a lot of teams that want cole right now. one of those rumors is the pens want him to play on crosby's line. i think that is what he needs to. a good center for him. much like when he played with staal he seems to excel the oilers have him playing on the third line with no great center. get him back here in carolina with a good center again. just he is not worth giving away ruutu. we have plenty of young talent we can afford to lose. i also think that if we do get him back by trade deadline he would most certainly resign, maybe even at a discount.

I have heard the oils want young talent so i thing bayda and a vet is a good idea, and cole probably would play well with crosby, but the odds of him getting to that line i think are sume what slim

Hi

I'm new to the forum but not to the Canes. I' have followed the Hurricanes diligently since the team was in Greensboro, and took great joy in seening them capture the cup three years ago. I get to about 8-10 home games a year, and subscribe to NHL center ice, so my evenings are usually filled with hockey, which, of course, gives me familiarity with all the teams and players. So, today I just thought I'd add my feelings about trades, although this post might fit in better with the Michael Leighton thread. Nothing against him as a player, or for any player who sits out 10-15 games at a time.

On some teams you always want to see the backup goalie. On other teams, such as the New Jersey Devils, you never want to see him. I mean Clemmenson, of course. I can't believe that team sent him back to the AHL today. I mean, they kept Weekes as the backup??? I'm non-plused!

I respect Jim Rutherford. He has made super trades, and very few stupid ones in relation to some GM's. Personally, right now, I believe he should be seriously looking to get Clemmenson in Carolina. This year, Right now!

My bigest frustration with the Hurricanes is Cam and the Mary Jane goals he gives up. Tuesday was no exception. Tripp Tracy can justify everything Cam does, like the defense or the high forwards didn't get back, but when the goalie doesn't even touch the puck on a one on one, and he does it multiple times in a game, it's on the goalie and not the D or high forwards. Auld stopped Staal's breakaway Tuesday night, and Eric got TWO shots on that play. The third goal Tuesday night took the starch out of the team with only a few seconds to go in the period. Cam might as well been in the locker room. Believe this-Cam Ward would be on the bench in Detroit!

Last year at the final game I sat 10 rows behind the bench and watched Cam give up three Mary Janes in the first ten shots. Ward should have been pulled after the second goal no matter who he had as a backup. The coach should have been fired after that game. What a heartbreak to see them lose that game, the division title, and the playoffs. I sat against the glass at the Islanders game where Cam gave up two SHG to Sillinger, and multiple games against the Flyers who seem to have his number. The real fact of the matter is Cam can't win when the chips are down. His run at the cup was unconcious and even though he and the team won the final, at his age it may have given him a false sense, and might have possibly ruined his career. Tuesday's game against the Sens was critical. A win put them well in the mix, just about everyone in the mix lost. I worry now that the three game win streak will turn into a three game losing streek which has been the trend all season. The Canes biggest problem is goal tending-nothing else. I would like to see a goalie like Clemmenson in front of the Carolina net. The team is intact. Take a hard look at Tim Thomas in Boston. A trade for a good goalie is the only change that Jim Rutherford needs to make before the deadline.

Sorry, I've been a bit windy.

Welcome to the board :)

I thought the same thing yesterday and wondered what it would take for the Canes to go after Clemmenson. Its my understanding that the reason Clemmenson was sent down was because he didn't have to go through waivers and Weeks would. It was a way they could keep all their goalies. I have a hard time believing they want to keep Weeks over Clemmenson for the playoffs, especially since Brodeur hasn't proven he's healthy enough for the run. I still think Ward should be the number 1 but we could go back to the 1A and 1B system till Ward is ready for the full load.

Only part I dont agree with that goaltending is the biggest problem for the Canes, scoring goals is.

I wondering if maybe they have a potential deal for Clemmenson with another team. He will be well sought after with the season he's had and I doubt he'll be satisfied with just being a spectator anymore. It'll be interesting to see what Lou Lamoriello does for sure, he's one of the more creative GM's out there.

And this was the perfect thread to post that in.

welcome connected, hard to believe clemenson got sent down, he played great for devils while marty was out.. i agree cam gives up some soft ones, but he has days when he keeps us in the games.. we have to remeber he still a young pup , stilllearning, and has a great teacher in barasso

I thought the same thing yesterday and wondered what it would take for the Canes to go after Clemmenson. Its my understanding that the reason Clemmenson was sent down was because he didn't have to go through waivers and Weeks would. It was a way they could keep all their goalies. I have a hard time believing they want to keep Weeks over Clemmenson for the playoffs, especially since Brodeur hasn't proven he's healthy enough for the run. I still think Ward should be the number 1 but we could go back to the 1A and 1B system till Ward is ready for the full load.

Only part I dont agree with that goaltending is the biggest problem for the Canes, scoring goals is.

I wondering if maybe they have a potential deal for Clemmenson with another team. He will be well sought after with the season he's had and I doubt he'll be satisfied with just being a spectator anymore. It'll be interesting to see what Lou Lamoriello does for sure, he's one of the more creative GM's out there.

Thanks for your comments. I like Cam Ward, don't get me wrong. But more bench time sharing the load with a guy like Clemmenson would, I believe, help narrow the amount of "softies," and possibly invorate the team scoring. Ward is probably better this year, but after seeing or watching every Hurricane game this season, I continually notice the juice go out of the team because of a soft goal, just like Tuesday night. My drift really is that Jim Rutherford needs to spend the bucks on goaltending while the Canes are still in the mix this year. Ward would still get his share of the load, and be better for it. Since the cup win, he has never had a proven competitor for his job waiting on the bench. That alone will improve his performance.

I would bet for the playoffs they would rather have Clemmenson be the backup but you don't want to loose Weekes in the case that Broduer has a set back and has to sit for longer.

As for bringing him to Carolina, I agree that the team has bigger holes at other positions.

Hitting the twine and finishing chances, along with a very weak powder play, has been this team's downfall this season. And unless addressed prior to the trade deadline by adding a scoring forward, I don't believe we will go far, even if we do make the playoffs. Welcome and your comments are well taken but scoring goals will also "inflate" a teams confidence. BTW, the Devils website indicates sending Clemmenson to the AHL would leave their goaltending ranks intact until the Brodeur situation plays out.

Welcome Connected!

Though Clemmenson has had a great season this year, that really doesn't translate to a great season next year. We've seen goaltenders here that were brought on board after having a great season before, only to not pan out. (see Jamie Storr). Other teams have fallen into this trap as well. Being a goaltender is a fickle position. Cam had a sup-par regular season in 05-06, only to turn it on for the playoffs. Gerber had a very good season in 05-06, only to put in a sub-par season when he went to Ottawa.

I agree with what CC said to a point. Scoring has been an issue with this team. They just don't seem to be able to bring it night after night.

IF you've got a lead after the 1st period, the pressure is a whole lot less than if you're behind. Defensively, a team can concentrate on locking down their opponent and look for opportunities to break it open in their offensive zone.

I really don't see Rutherford doing much if anything before the deadline.

New Jersey doesn't get the credit for the actual good players they have on the roster. The goaltender always gets the credit up there, but they do have quite a bit of depth, especially on offense. Another thing to remember about Brodeur is though he is really good, he has had a great defense infront of him the majority of his career. Playing behind the likes of Stevens, Neidermayer and Raphalski for the first 10 years of his career and playing that trapping system is not going to hurt a goaltender.

If JR does not get a scoring forward by the deadline I will be a very unhappy camper.

Can I clarify? How about a big, skilled, scoring forward..... as opposed to a small, finesse, scoring forward.

Can I clarify? How about a big, skilled, scoring forward..... as opposed to a small, finesse, scoring forward.

I'd be absolutely down with that. Anyone with any ability to put the puck upstairs and not constantly miss the net. A fully back Williams might have qualified, but now that he's out, we either need to make a move, or just get out of the way. The team has won 4 of its last 5, and missed the playoffs two years in a row, and found that 9th spot, and the playoffs are supposedly sooooo important, make the move. At least go down fighting.