The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Trades, Rumors and Suggestions from the fans

There's alot of potential deals out there to be made that could either make this team better now or in the future. I just wish there was a chance that any of those deals would be made. As it stands, I expect the Hurricanes to be quiet at the deadline.

This would lead to the biggest disaster: 9th place. If that happens after sitting pat at the deadline season ticket sales will look a lot like a graph of the Dow Jones Industrial Average.

I agree, a quiet deadline, as JR expects, would be the worst thing for the team right now. Staying in this 9th place just missing every year while we try to tweak the team is the exact opposite of what needs to happen. A coaching shakeup didn't work, let's hope a player shake up is next. Someone like Whitney, who is signed at a reasonable rate and would provide some nice veteran scoring for contending teams. Whitney is similar to Stillman last year, except he does have one more year remaining on his contract, and could bring in a good young player. I would hate to lose Whitney, but as this point, like Caniac Ironman said, we're going need to give up someone popular to get what we need: a top line winger.

We need to make a sound move here. Consecutively missing the playoffs after winning the Cup is just getting embarassing. It intensifies all these 'Carolina was a fluke' discussions. I'm sure management has their fishing poles out and I'd have to believe they got a couple things on their wishlist that they would pull the trigger on. Rental options that arent overblown are acceptable here if it pushes us deep into the playoffs. However I'd think we'll be looking for more of a fix anf go move. That being said, no to Cole. Definitely not for Ruutu. Ruutu needs to sign a very longterm contract here. So lets start on defense, gotta keep Corvo, Pitkanen, Gleeson, Babchuk (who btw gets my vote for most improved player this year). Dump Kabs, sorry, he gotta go. We need to bring in a defensive minded defensemen. I think we've overcompensated at getting the puck=moving scoring defensemen and we need to right the ship a little bit. Love to throw out hat in the Bouwmeester talks but I dont see it happening. On the offensive side we need a defensive minded forward. We need someone to pick up the void that Brindy has left. Players that we could possibly look to move would be Whitney (yes he is having a good stat year which makes it all the better to move him) and Larose (I love the guy and it would break my heart but if I recall correctly his contract is coming up for renewal and he is going to want more cash then we might want to give him).

Regardless, Go Canes!

Ek says Carolina could be the team acquiring Guerin (among many other teams he mentions).

I only see that being a good option if we can dump or trade Brindy. That would free up more $ and allow Staal to step up as the leader and play like he did last season when we lost Brindy. I think we should move Sutter back up and give him more ice time. We should only be trying to acquire younger talent and build for the new. The last thing we need is another old 38 year old hogging up ice time.

I agree, a quiet deadline, as JR expects, would be the worst thing for the team right now. Staying in this 9th place just missing every year while we try to tweak the team is the exact opposite of what needs to happen. A coaching shakeup didn't work, let's hope a player shake up is next. Someone like Whitney, who is signed at a reasonable rate and would provide some nice veteran scoring for contending teams. Whitney is similar to Stillman last year, except he does have one more year remaining on his contract, and could bring in a good young player. I would hate to lose Whitney, but as this point, like Caniac Ironman said, we're going need to give up someone popular to get what we need: a top line winger.

I could be wrong, but I believe Whitney has a no trade clause. Unless he waives it, the wizard won't be going anywhere. Trading Brindy to a team in need of a seasoned veteran would be the best choice. Canes have the odd-man-out situation with the centers already. But with Brindy's performance this year (I'm not convinced he's 100 percent), there may not be any takers.

I could be wrong, but I believe Whitney has a no trade clause. Unless he waives it, the wizard won't be going anywhere. Trading Brindy to a team in need of a seasoned veteran would be the best choice. Canes have the odd-man-out situation with the centers already. But with Brindy's performance this year (I'm not convinced he's 100 percent), there may not be any takers.

i'm pretty sure brindy has a no-trade clause as well..

Seidenberg has to go. He's just standing around watching goals being scored against.

You obviously watched last night's game - Seids had a really bad night. Same could be said for Babchuck most of the time as well. He's only slightly out of my dog house right now because he's been scoring, which only partially makes up for his lack of physical play and defensive errors.

i'm pretty sure brindy has a no-trade clause as well..

Nope - Whitney, Wallin, Walker only. Can't see Brindy for Guerin, just don't see this team pulling off such a huge move.

You obviously watched last night's game - Seids had a really bad night. Same could be said for Babchuck most of the time as well. He's only slightly out of my dog house right now because he's been scoring, which only partially makes up for his lack of physical play and defensive errors.

Sorry, it's not just been last night, for either player. Seidenberg has been terrible for a good two or three weeks now. Not surprisingly, just around the same time that his name appeared in trade rumors.

Babchuk's been playing solid hockey every since returning from his injury. The pairing of him and Pitkanen are usually one of the more consistent pairings every game.

Babchuk's been playing solid hockey every since returning from his injury. The pairing of him and Pitkanen are usually one of the more consistent pairings every game.
Agreed with this. Since he started playing with Pitkanen on 1/29 against TB, Babchuk has gone +9 with 8 points in 15 games.

As for Guerin: I'm not interested. I want someone that can help us not only now, but in the future as well. Guerin is 38 and at the end of his career.

Agreed with this. Since he started playing with Pitkanen on 1/29 against TB, Babchuk has gone +9 with 8 points in 15 games.

As for Guerin: I'm not interested. I want someone that can help us not only now, but in the future as well. Guerin is 38 and at the end of his career.

Babs was solid last night.

It can be amazing what happens when a player gets some confidence.

The trade deadline couldn't arrive quick enough. I don't expect any big trade, but considering we haven't had a big trade for a while, its possible we might see the 'Canes make a trade of larger proportions than what were use to seeing. JR knows our problems, I hope he'll do the best he can do not just for now, but for the future of this franchise.

Trade Gleeson after that STUPID slashing penalty, I swear that has to be one of the dumbest penalty's of all time that cost us a point and maybe even 2. He better buy dinner for the whole team and coaching staff along with all the poor caniacs that had to see that God awful 3rd period. Trade the whole Defense after the way they played last night!! JR is so interested in getting offensive Dman that they actually forget how to play D!! The way we played last night against a bad team that we have to beat, we don't even deserve to make the playoffs and wont go far if we do. I agree with djharley, if the front office doesn't make a trade, they're content with not making the playoffs which is un exceptable. I still have faith in the boys, but someone needs to tell them they need to play D for a whole 60 minutes and stop leaving their goalie out to dry!!

This is also very interesting!! Kaberle and Kaberle?

http://rumormethis.com/rumors/player-rumor...caps-done-deal/

How will a trade help us this season other than to unload some soon to be UFA who will probably be gone next year anyways? How many players would we get if we traded Staal?

How will a trade help us this season other than to unload some soon to be UFA who will probably be gone next year anyways? How many players would we get if we traded Staal?
CaniacTillIDie has the other reason we should have a trade in his post:

"I agree with djharley, if the front office doesn't make a trade, they're content with not making the playoffs which is un exceptable."

I have seen quite a few Caniac's basically saying the same thing. As Remkin said in the "playoff picture discussion thread":

Finishing 9th would be THE worst possible thing for this franchise in my opinion. After last night's collapse, I am admittedly a bit downhearted, but it points out the amazing mediocrity that we have been for 3 years now. Most of the league will end up in the playoffs or rebuilding. We remain in limbo. I suppose that being on that cusp would be tolerable if we kept slipping INTO the playoffs, but we keep slipping out.

In the past 2 years JR has been neither a buyer nor a seller. He has played it in the middle, which is oddly where this team stays. This year he must NOT stand pat. Generally it holds that the best moves are small moves or no moves, but this year is different for the Canes. After two post cup years of just missing the playoffs, a third year of the same will cost this team dearly in season ticket sales. The casual fan probably doesn't care, but the committed fan has just about had it with finishing just out of the playoffs. I feel it myself and I sense it on these boards. 9th place spells disaster and that is where this team is clearly heading if no moves are made.

I have my personal theory that the team, and Staal in particular, stopped responding to it's captain some time last year. I don't know what effect this is having with him on the 4th line, one would think less, but still some. A dramatic and controversial move favored by me would be to move Brindy if it could be done in a respectful way. If not, we still need to add scoring punch. So does everyone else, but this is the year to go for it if ever there was one.

We should not mortage the future by giving up draft picks, or top prospects, but we should spend the $$, and or trade non producers with good contracts to teams trying to unload salary (This flies in the face of JR's normal tendencies). Even if we end up busting our budget. If we pick up a proven scoring forward (ideally one with some grit) it will increase our chances of making the playoffs. Further enhancing that would be to lift the Brind'Amour effect (my opinion) on Staal and others by trading him and changing captains or not having one.

But even if these moves don't end up working to make the playoffs the team wins because:

1. Season ticket base sees the willingness to try to win followed by a shake up restructuring and keeps interested

2. The team can undergo radical reshaping offseason with knowledge that the Stanely Cup team was given every chance to recapture the magic but could not.

If JR comes to feel that it is utterly futile even if he adds a player, he could alternatively become a seller. This is a seller's market, so pick up some draft picks and prospects and start cleaning house. This would be better than doing nothing, but would be giving up on a team that still has a decent shot at the playoffs. Still, better than gliding into 9th.

If JR sits on his hands or tries to nibble with a marginal player and we miss the playoffs, that would be the worst case scenario. Please, for the love of season ticket holders: don't do that. Don't just sit there. Do something!!!

Trade Gleeson after that STUPID slashing penalty, I swear that has to be one of the dumbest penalty's of all time that cost us a point and maybe even 2. He better buy the whole team and coaching staff along with all the poor caniacs that had to see that God awful 3rd period. Trade the whole Defense after the way they played last night!! JR is so interested in getting offensive Dman that they actually forget how to play D!! The way we played last night against a bad team that we have to beat, we don't even deserve to make the playoffs and wont go far if we do. I agree with djharley, if the front office doesn't make a trade, they're content with not making the playoffs which is un exceptable. I still have faith in the boys, but someone needs to tell them they need to play D for a whole 60 minutes and stop leaving their goalie out to dry!!

This is also very interesting!! Kaberle and Kaberle?

http://rumormethis.com/rumors/player-rumors/quick-rumour-updates-guerin-to-caps-done-deal/' target="_blank">http://rumormethis.com/rumors/player-rumor...caps-done-deal/[/post]

That actually makes sense....Mo has been playing Kaberle more recently. Maybe having his brother on the team will give him a boost of confidence.

Unless we get Thorton,Ovechekin, Crosby, or Malkin for Staal we would lose in any other deal. Staal isn't the problem we need to build a team around him.

imagine ovechekin on our team...

never gunna happen tho :(

just signed a 23 million contract for like 12 years i think.

anyways...the guys i wouldnt care to see go are

kaberle && wallin