The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Trades, Rumors and Suggestions from the fans

Trade Gleeson after that STUPID slashing penalty, I swear that has to be one of the dumbest penalty's of all time that cost us a point and maybe even 2. He better buy the whole team and coaching staff along with all the poor caniacs that had to see that God awful 3rd period. Trade the whole Defense after the way they played last night!! JR is so interested in getting offensive Dman that they actually forget how to play D!! The way we played last night against a bad team that we have to beat, we don't even deserve to make the playoffs and wont go far if we do. I agree with djharley, if the front office doesn't make a trade, they're content with not making the playoffs which is un exceptable. I still have faith in the boys, but someone needs to tell them they need to play D for a whole 60 minutes and stop leaving their goalie out to dry!!

This is also very interesting!! Kaberle and Kaberle?

http://rumormethis.com/rumors/player-rumors/quick-rumour-updates-guerin-to-caps-done-deal/' target="_blank">http://rumormethis.com/rumors/player-rumor...caps-done-deal/[/post]

thank you! i honestly think gleason is overrated, he wiffs every shot and takes stupid penalties, and he doesnt seem like the greatest personality in the locker room.. but that's just my opinion

At least we appear to have some promising prospects that could hopefully improve this team in the next 5 years or so. Boychuk and Mcbain and Sutter are all killing it in the minors. The hard part is waiting for them to develop... hopefully by the time they come play in the big league we don't blow it by having a crappy team around them. Just think about it though. Suppose they all play for us in 3 years. Thats a significant amount of money JR could spend on other guys.... hmm... 3 years. Makes me wonder if the organization proposed this deal of theirs because they plan on rebuilding over the next several seasons (ie trading off some talent for young prospects).

Players that have to go:

Brindamour - The captain has lost this team and is a shadow of his former self. (should retire)

Walker - He plays much bigger than his size and could help a playoff team. (Trade Him)

Kaberle - Has not been the same since the cup run and shoulder injury. (should retire)

Wallin - Another former warrior for this team who could add depth. (Trade Him)

Jokinen - Good in the shootout but not much else. (Trade Him)

Larose - Energy guy who will want more money than he is worth. (Trade Him)

Babchuk - Has shown much improvement but we already have a Corvo. (Trade Him)

Seidenberg - Can be great for one game and then bad for three. (Trade Him)

Makes me wonder if the organization proposed this deal of theirs because they plan on rebuilding over the next several seasons (ie trading off some talent for young prospects).

If Canes management made it clear they were going into rebuilding mode, I would be more inclined to bite on their "freeze" offer. On the other hand, if they continue to keep status quo, I need to rethink their offer.

If it came down to Babchuk and Corvo, I'd personally rather keep Babchuk. Both can contribute offensively, can be solid defensively, and are equally prone to significant mistakes at times. Only difference between the two is that Babchuk is seven years younger and about $1 million cheaper. Corvo would also garner more interest and thus a larger return in any trade that were to occur.

Players that have to go:

Brindamour - The captain has lost this team and is a shadow of his former self. (should retire)

Walker - He plays much bigger than his size and could help a playoff team. (Trade Him)

Kaberle - Has not been the same since the cup run and shoulder injury. (should retire)

Wallin - Another former warrior for this team who could add depth. (Trade Him)

Larose - Energy guy who will want more money than he is worth. (Trade Him)

Babchuk - Has shown much improvement but we already have a Corvo. (Trade Him)

Seidenberg - Can be great for one game and then bad for three. (Trade Him)

Agree with all but Larose and Babchuck. We have a 6'5" 24 year old defenseman who is starting to light it up and we should trade him because we have another guy like him? I just don't agree with that logic. And LaRose is more than an energy guy, he's scored 13 already this year, and is has the type of dedication you want from every player.

If it came down to Babchuk and Corvo, I'd personally rather keep Babchuk. Both can contribute offensively, can be solid defensively, and are equally prone to significant mistakes at times. Only difference between the two is that Babchuk is seven years younger and about $1 million cheaper. Corvo would also garner more interest and thus a larger return in any trade that were to occur.
I'd also keep Babchuk over Corvo given the money difference and possible return in trade. Remember that Corvo is a UFA after next season and could command upwards of $4M on the open market. Babchuk is going to be a lot cheaper than Corvo after next season.

Babchuks skill level is not even close to Corvos. The transition game was one of the main reasons they got Corvo. An offensive d-man does more than take 100 mph slap shots on PPs.

Babchuks skill level is not even close to Corvos. The transition game was one of the main reasons they got Corvo. An offensive d-man does more than take 100 mph slap shots on PPs.
Agreed, but Babchuk is significantly younger and cheaper. If the Hurricanes are looking to "sell" off assets at the deadline, then Corvo should be going...not Babchuk.

Not to mention, Corvo doesn't have much of a transition game. He said it himself when we first grabbed him, he doesn't like to lug the puck up the ice. It's why whenever he has the puck and is pressured, he'll spin back into our defensive zone and wait behind the net for everyone to reset their positions.

Not to mention, Corvo doesn't have much of a transition game. He said it himself when we first grabbed him, he doesn't like to lug the puck up the ice. It's why whenever he has the puck and is pressured, he'll spin back into our defensive zone and wait behind the net for everyone to reset their positions.
I'd also note that when Corvo was 24, he was still in the AHL and had yet to play an NHL game.

I think some people are forgetting how young Babchuk, Pitkanen and Gleason are for defensemen. Defensemen usually don't hit their prime until around age 30 and those guys are all 24-26. This team needs to rebuild and we should hang on to those players, while selling off some of the older guys for younger assets/picks.

I guess the outlet pass isnt part of the transition nor is settling the play down while retaining the puck to start the transition

also funny, I remember JR emphasizing the transition game when saying they needed to acquire an offensive d-man prior to obtaining Corvo. Why does Corvo saying he doesnt like lugging the puck up the ice mean he has no transition game? Its not a d-mans job to go end to end. The transition has everything to do with creating space, opening up lanes and passing.

also funny, I remember JR emphasizing the transition game when saying they needed to acquire an offensive d-man prior to obtaining Corvo. Why does Corvo saying he doesnt like lugging the puck up the ice mean he has no transition game? Its not a d-mans job to go end to end. The transition has everything to do with creating space, opening up lanes and passing.

And again, what good is it to have him retreat back to behind his own net when we're trying to create a transition game? Almost everytime he gets pressured, he goes behind his net and either resets the entire play or waits for a teammate to grab the puck from him.

And yes, JR emphasized the transition game. Then we picked up Corvo. And Corvo came over here, and said the system was different, that he was being asked to lug the puck up the ice. Which means that either JR or Lavi felt that having a defenseman able to do that was part of a transition game. And what do you know, we go and grab Pitkanen, a defenseman who can do exactly that.

And again, what good is it to have him retreat back to behind his own net when we're trying to create a transition game? Almost everytime he gets pressured, he goes behind his net and either resets the entire play or waits for a teammate to grab the puck from him.

And yes, JR emphasized the transition game. Then we picked up Corvo. And Corvo came over here, and said the system was different, that he was being asked to lug the puck up the ice. Which means that either JR or Lavi felt that having a defenseman able to do that was part of a transition game. And what do you know, we go and grab Pitkanen, a defenseman who can do exactly that.

so you prefer the Pitkanen dump and chase transition and I prefer the puck possession style. as far as Corvo retreating and letting another player take the puck, you must be referring to the PP. The most important part of the transition is the outlet pass and Corvos the best they have at that. Pitkanens sloppy in his own end with the puck, a scary transition player in my opinion.

I would like to see a move of some kind made to make a statement to the team and the fanbase that we are in it to win it. This team iis doing the same thing this season as it has done the past two. I feel lucky that in eleven years we have seen two SCF and hoisted the Cup once, but my fear is that the players are falling into a "loser mentality". We are a barely over .500 team for the third season running. I really feel that this is where our talent level is. There has to be more effort.

It's easy to sit in the stands and at home and say "give more effort", but that is what it is going to take. All of the points in the standings that the Canes have let slip away could be the difference again this season. We have seen how some players seem to turn it up in certain games and they are invisible in others. This team can not afford to have invisible players on the ice. Staal's development seems to have stalled (pun intended). He does a lot of good things, but he can't do it by himself and sometimes he plays that way. He needs a linemate that will push him. J.R. has Staal locked up long term, but we will not see his full potential unless he gets a sidekick. Cole isn't what he was, so don't go there.

My fear is that this part of Staal's career will determine his eventual sucess and he could slide into the mediocrity that the team seems to be stuck in now. We have some nice players in the system that may be able to contribute greatly in two or three years, but what do we do until them? Does J.R. tell the team and the fans to be patient and we will be good in three years?

Look at the makeup of this team and tell me that it is going to be better next year. If you can do that, I'm willing to say "stay the course". If you can't make that statement with conviction, do something.

In order to figure out what the team can do, I figure we need to look at our contracts for next season.

Eric Staal 6 mil (signed through 2/14)... up from 5 million

Rod Brind'amour 3 mil (signed through 10/11)... down from 4 million

Ray Whitney 3.5 mil (signed though 09/10)

Justin Williams 3.5 mil (signed through 10/11)

Matt Cullen 2.8 mil (signed through 9/10)

Sergei Samsonov 2.5 mil (signed through 10/11)

Walker 2.5 mil (signed through 9/10)

Tuomo Ruutu 2.25 mil (RFA at end of 08/09)

Patrick Eaves 1.4 mil (signed through 10/11)

Brandon Sutter 0.875 mil (signed through 10/11)

Chad Larose 0.875 mil (UFA at end of 08/09)

Jussi Jokinen 1.875 mil (RFA at end of 08/09)

Ryan Bayda 0.475 mil (UFA at end of 08/09)

Tim Conboy 0.5 mil (signed through 09/10)... 0.5 million added from 08/09

Joni Pitkanen 4 mil (signed through 10/11)... up from 3.5 million

Tim Gleason 2.5 mil (signed through 11/12)... up from 2 million

Joe Corvo 2.75 mil (UFA at end of 09/10)

Frank Kaberle 2.2 mil (UFA at end of 09/10)

Niclas Wallin 1.725 mil (UFA at end of 09/10)

Dennis Seidenberg 1.2 mil (UFA at end of 08/09)

Anton Babchuk 1 mil (RFA at end of 08/09)

Cam Ward 3.5 mil (RFA at end of 09/10)... up from 2.5 million

Michael Leighton 0.6 mil (UFA at end of 09/10)

After looking at all the contracts expiring after next season, I see 09/10 a big trade year for us. Perhaps that is why JR is hesitant to make a trade now?

So I propose the question - what is it this team needs?

1. Defensive defensemen

2. Grit/physicality

We know at the end of this season, Seidenberg and Larose have expiring contracts. Will they resign? Thats a tough question. Both were hung out to dry during the last off season. Seidenberg could be traded for a more defensive defenseman possibly.

Ruutu is an RFA at the season's end, I say he gets resigned. This team needs his grit badly. The good thing about these contracts is that both Wallin and Kaberle's contracts expire at the end of next season. No way is Kaberle resigned, Wallin I'm not sure what will happen. The organization seems to like him. He did play well at the beginning of the season, but injuries have again hampered him. Our biggest trade bait next season will be Whitney, Cullen, and Corvo. Ward will be an RFA at the end of that season as well. I need to think about all this for a while, but its clear that this team will be extremely different after next season. Personally, I see them trading away some talent and starting to retool with young prospects. Add to that the fact we have several of our own prospects dominating the minors (Sutter, Boychuk, Mcbain) who could play for us in the next couple years... all that taken into consideration, I think thats why they offered the 3 year price freeze for season tickets. But thats just a theory.

This team needs to go into a rebuilding mode asap. the sooner rutherford pulls his head outa his butt the better!! announcing this to the team may make some of the guys with no trade clauses change their minds about staying!!

As already stated (I believe), this organization can't handle a full rebuild. A good rebuild takes years and years of bottom-feeding, and I don't believe the fanbase will stand for that.

As already stated (I believe), this organization can't handle a full rebuild. A good rebuild takes years and years of bottom-feeding, and I don't believe the fanbase will stand for that.

Do you believe that the fanbase will stand for 3+ years of missing the playoffs by 2-5 points and drafting at the #11-14 position every year?

Sorry I just have to laugh at this. He's only played a whopping 6 games with us yet he's +1, and has 3 points including a GWG.

Do you believe that the fanbase will stand for 3+ years of missing the playoffs by 2-5 points and drafting at the #11-14 position every year?

Missing the playoffs by 2-5 points still keeps the team in the race year after year. Going through a rebuild will keep the team at the bottom for 3-4 years. This organization can't afford to be bottom dwellers for 3-4 years. Sure you have your diehards or people on message boards that say they would support a rebuild, but this team doesn't have the community behind them like a Washington or a Pittsburgh. They need more than 5,000 fans to support them behind a rebuild and with ACC basektball and football here that they are competing with we have to have a team that can be in the race not sitting at the bottom never winning.

EDIT: Also wanted to add that since they are still trying to grow this fanbase, sitting at the bottom won't do anything to help.

Ray Whitney 3.5 mil (signed though 09/10)

Justin Williams 3.5 mil (signed through 10/11)

Matt Cullen 2.8 mil (signed through 9/10)

Tuomo Ruutu 2.25 mil (RFA at end of 08/09)

Chad Larose 0.875 mil (UFA at end of 08/09)

Anton Babchuk 1 mil (RFA at end of 08/09)

I quote the above guys as the only possible trades, outside of a trade with a team looking to dump salary while we dump salary (like Kaberle for Gerber).

My reasons are, the guy needs to be a good deal for the other team, as in

a. he needs to be playing at a level better than his salary

b. we want to get something for him before we lose him

Subscribing to the buy low, sell high theory, you can throw out Whitney, last year was his high. Throw out Justin, he's hurt and therefore low in value. That leave the other 4, who are probably outplaying their salary. Cullen, we just can't afford to lose unless we trade for another center. The other 3, yes, they are probably worth more than their salary, and yes, likely we won't want to pay them what they are really worth next season. Of the 3, particularly intriguing are Larose and Babchuk, since they both are playing well above their previous levels. Why, you can either say they are coming into their own, or are peaking. Either way, the time to trade them may be now, if you subscribe to the buy low sell high theory, since you'll get a lot for them now, probably more than any other time.

I can see throwing out williams, but onw whitney is our highest point producer and his line is working... not to mention the no trade clause