The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Trades, Rumors and Suggestions from the fans

I don't believe that the 'Canes are in that dire of a situation to go through a multiyear rebuild. I think they have most of the pieces they just need to get a few more either through trades or via free agent signings. That doesn't constitute a multiyear rebuild does it?

I think my point is that next season, we have a lot of guys who's contracts will be expiring. If we are out of the playoff picture we will have plenty of guys to trade for picks. What better time to rebuild? Also, with the cap potentially going down soon, our guys are good bargains. I'm telling you guys, next year will be the year (I hope!)

I would love to go get Manny Fernandez and get him in our lockerroom ASAP if the Bruins are at all entertaining trades for him.

I would be getting rid of Cam, Gleason and Seidenberg. I think they are our biggest liabilities. I can't believe how many missed assignments and blown coverages these defenseman have had that have cost goals in addition to Cam's nauseating and aggravating inconsistency that places him in the bottom third of goalies in MANY important categories (have you guys seen the latest issue on goalies in The Hockey News?)

Bottom line is I would be going for a PROVEN number 1 goalie any way possible and my first choice is Manny.

I think that a good goalie (like Manny) would have us at 5 or 6 in the Eastern Conference all by himself. Thanks...

As already stated (I believe), this organization can't handle a full rebuild. A good rebuild takes years and years of bottom-feeding, and I don't believe the fanbase will stand for that.

I absolutely disagree. Are biggest problem was retaining the wrong core players and building around several players many which were old. You may think fans are stuck in the past but I hear the fans at the games I've attended. They want younger guys in the system. We have to rebuild and if we don't then we will not have an NHL franchise.

I would love to go get Manny Fernandez and get him in our lockerroom ASAP if the Bruins are at all entertaining trades for him.

I would be getting rid of Cam, Gleason and Seidenberg. I think they are our biggest liabilities. I can't believe how many missed assignments and blown coverages these defenseman have had that have cost goals in addition to Cam's nauseating and aggravating inconsistency that places him in the bottom third of goalies in MANY important categories (have you guys seen the latest issue on goalies in The Hockey News?)

Bottom line is I would be going for a PROVEN number 1 goalie any way possible and my first choice is Manny.

I think that a good goalie (like Manny) would have us at 5 or 6 in the Eastern Conference all by himself. Thanks...

Wow I have heard it all now. Blaming Cam for all the misplays of the D. Yea his glove gets soft sometimes but, the guy is like 26 yrs old and the past 2 years hasn't had a defense worth a *edit*. We need some help in the top 6 simple as that. Staal needs a linemate to compliment him!!

I absolutely disagree. Are biggest problem was retaining the wrong core players and building around several players many which were old. You may think fans are stuck in the past but I hear the fans at the games I've attended. They want younger guys in the system. We have to rebuild and if we don't then we will not have an NHL franchise.

We're getting younger with what we're doing now. JR's trading some of our older players for younger ones. If he continues to do that, it's fine. But that's not a full rebuild, which is what I said wouldn't work in the first place.

Simple fact of the matter is: If this team bottom feeds for the amount of years it takes to have a good rebuild, this team won't be in North Carolina anymore.

I would bet for the playoffs they would rather have Clemmenson be the backup but you don't want to loose Weekes in the case that Broduer has a set back and has to sit for longer.

As for bringing him to Carolina, I agree that the team has bigger holes at other positions.

the holes are mostly on defense and scoring depth. which is not good with 18 games left

in the season and fighting for playoff lives.

Wow I have heard it all now. Blaming Cam for all the misplays of the D. Yea his glove gets soft sometimes but, the guy is like 26 yrs old and the past 2 years hasn't had a defense worth a *edit*. We need some help in the top 6 simple as that. Staal needs a linemate to compliment him!!

Wow, you don't get it. I am blaming Cam based on his STATS (what a concept huh?). How long do you want to deal with less than mediocrity, based on stats, in your goal? I, for one, am done with the experiment.

I am blaming the defensive defensemen because of their errors and lack of their ability to position themselves properly and do their jobs effectively.

Staal might do better with a different linemate. But what he certainly needs is consistent work ethic and a burning desire to win. He is not convincing anyone he has that. I could have pulled all my hair out when I saw him lollygag around the ice in the last few minutes of the Atlanta game. Infuriating.

Wow, you don't get it. I am blaming Cam based on his STATS (what a concept huh?). How long do you want to deal with less than mediocrity, based on stats, in your goal? I, for one, am done with the experiment.

You do realize that a goalie's stats have a large part to do with the team in front of him, yeah?

Best example: Kevin Weekes.

For a guy whose career hovers around a .900 and a 3.00 GAA, he's putting up a .924 and a 2.32 this year.

Clearly, he's just really improved. I mean, based on his STATS, that's the only concept you can draw from it

I heard on saturday night on CBC during the Laffs game that Cole might be coming back????

Last I heard Bostin was winning the race for him

You do realize that a goalie's stats have a large part to do with the team in front of him, yeah?

Some part sure, but I'm sure you do realize that Cam is not a number one goalie regardless of who's fault it is. He consistently lets in soft goals and

does not save enough goals/games based on his ability alone. That's what we need here. Cam ain't the guy. Sorry.

As has been discussed multiple times in another thread, there's no goalie in the world that doesn't let in soft goals.

Did you happen to catch Thomas's performance during the recent Caps/Bruins game? Lights out for most of the game, kept his team in it. OT rolls around and he lets in one shot from the redline.

All a goalie is asked is to keep his team in the game. And most nights, Ward does exactly that. However, there's only so long a goalie can do that without support from his team.

Probably doesn't help that he's started the last "X" games. He's not a 70 game goalie, and probably never will be. For whatever reason, JR or Maurice believes he can handle it.

dallas is shopping their 2 best centers mike rebiero and brad richards, id love for the canes to pick one of them up to replace brindy
Pretty unlikely we would get a player of Brad Richards talent level.

I just noticed how big of a increase in Staal's contract is starting next year: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=CAR[/post]

Next year we will start paying him 8 million. 2x the amount were paying him now.

But on this website, the salary numbers our much different: http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?tea...amp;season=0809

Am I missing something here? Or is it the websites fault they have such different numbers?

Pretty unlikely we would get a player of Brad Richards talent level.

I just noticed how big of a increase in Staal's contract is starting next year: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=CAR[/post]

Next year we will start paying him 8 million. 2x the amount were paying him now.

But on this website, the salary numbers our much different: http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?tea...amp;season=0809

Am I missing something here? Or is it the websites fault they have such different numbers?

I think the differences are cap hit versus actually amount he is getting paid.

I think the differences are cap hit versus actually amount he is getting paid.

Yeah, the cap hit will be 8.25, but we'll be paying him less. Every year his salary will increase but the cap hit remains the same.