The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Trades, Rumors and Suggestions from the fans

Ek has mentioned Ruutu as a potential trade as well in the past. I hope the team doesn't trade him, hes my favorite player and brings scoring and physical play. But we don't know what went down in negotiations this past off season... maybe he doesn't want to play here? He did wait until the deadline to sign.

I can't see this happening after Williams and others have called us "soft". I think Ruutu is the only player that opposing players may "fear" when they play the Canes and seems to be the only one who gets under their skin. I hope this trade doesn't happen.

Maybe JR can give Kaberle to a team and also pay his salary, if Im not mistaken this could be used as a tax write off, i.e. charity.

Under the CBA you can't pay the salary of a guy on another team as part of a trade. I am pretty sure the only way you pay salary of a guy on another team is if he has been claimed off of re-entry waivers.

Under the CBA you can't pay the salary of a guy on another team as part of a trade. I am pretty sure the only way you pay salary of a guy on another team is if he has been claimed off of re-entry waivers.

you are correct, before the lockout the Craps traded Jagr to the Rangers and as part of the deal offered to pay half to three fourths of his salary. those deals were banned by the new CBA.

Can anybody think of any trade that could move Brind'Amour? Maybe some young team looking for veteran leadership? Some team with even less offense than us? Anything?

Can anybody think of any trade that could move Brind'Amour? Maybe some young team looking for veteran leadership? Some team with even less offense than us? Anything?

Brind'Amour would have to waive his NTC for that to happen.

I really don't see much happening as far as trades. Unless we were to package someone another team wants, we are probably stuck with what we have:

Ryan Bayda UFA

Rod Brind'Amour "C" Two more years left on contract after this season: due $3mil for next two seasons. IMO Rod's knee isn't right. Last night to me, he looked like he was still favoring it.

Wade Brookbank UFA

Matt Cullen One more year left on contract after this season: due $2.8mil for 2009/2010.

Patrick Eaves Two more years left on contract after this seaosn: due $1.4mil for 2009/2010, $1.7mil for 2010/2011.

Chad LaRose UFA

Tuomo Ruutu RFA

Sergei Samsonov Two more years left on contract after this season: due $2.5mil for 2009/2010, $2.8mil for 2010/2011.

Eric Staal "A"

Brandon Sutter

Scott Walker One more year left on contract after this season: due $2.5mil for 2009/2010

Ray Whitney "A" One more year left on contract after this season: due $3.55mil for 2009/2010

Justin Williams

Anton Babchuk RFA

Joe Corvo One more year left on contract after this season: due $2.750mil for 2009/2010

Tim Gleason

Frantisek Kaberle One more year left on contract after this season: due $2.2mil for 2009/2010

Joni Pitkanen Two more years left on contract: due $4mil and $4.5mil

Dennis Seidenberg UFA

Niclas Wallin One more year left on contract: due $1.725mil for 2009/2010

Michael Leighton

Cam Ward

Based on salary, we will have issues trying to get a trading partner based on the $$$ we've invested in some of these players.

I say we have to keep Corvo, he is the best d-man on the team.Joni hasn't done much lately. Corvo to me is a must sign along with Ruutu. Not signing those 2 guys would be a big mistake.

Corvo is under contract next year, so I don't see him being traded. Not just b/c of his contract status, but because 1: JR wanted him bad and 2: he is also pretty decent defensively. Not to mention you still don't know what you will be getting with Babchuk. Who here can safely and honestly say, Babchuk can play 20+ minutes a night? Cause if we trade Corvo, that's who you are looking at to take his place. And I'm personally, not sold on Babchuk yet. Especially not to have him fill Corvo's role.

At the deadline, I could see a team taking on Kaberle. We won't get much, but shoot even a pick could help.

Seidenberg is likely our best trade bait that I could see teams wanting and who we could trade. It'll all depend on how much money he is looking for. Maybe JR needs to start talking to his agent and get an idea on what they are looking for.

I see no team wanting LaRose at the deadline. Maybe if he was included in a bigger package.

One thing you have to remember about Eklund, he usually picks his trade baits due to a players contract. Which has me surprised about Corvo, but not that surprised since Bruce Garriach has had Corvo as trade bait since the day he came here.

Brind'Amour would have to waive his NTC for that to happen.

FYI Brind'Amour doesn't have a NTC. Walker, Wallin and Whitney have the NTC. Staal's will kick in in like 2-3 years. However, I doubt JR makes any calls regarding team interested in Brind'Amour just b/c he's Brind'Amour. And he will be a 38 year old with 2 years left on his contract. What was JR smoking when he gave him that 5 year deal.

FYI Brind'Amour doesn't have a NTC. Walker, Wallin and Whitney have the NTC. Staal's will kick in in like 2-3 years. However, I doubt JR makes any calls regarding team interested in Brind'Amour just b/c he's Brind'Amour. And he will be a 38 year old with 2 years left on his contract. What was JR smoking when he gave him that 5 year deal.

Yup you are correct. They didn't include that in his contract extension, though it was in the original wording of his 6 year extension he signed in 2001.

The way he's been playing this year would anyone even want him? I dont think he has done that badly, but evidently the rest of the world is appalled by his +/-... He's probably untouchable at this point..in a bad way.

Regardless of that.. what kind of message do you send to your team when you trade away the team captain? Yes, it has happened in the past.. we traded Keith Primeau.. after he had seriously given the middle finger to the managment and the fanbase, but I mean come on... Yes, Francis was traded for the last half of his final season, at his request for a chance to play for Toronto and a chance to win another Stanley Cup (if only he could have held on 2 more years with us), but he immediately came back to the Canes became part of the management team and had his number retired.

Trading Brindamour right now I believe would send a message that Carolina has given up, regardless of how good or bad Rod is playing this year. Another 2 years and Roddy retires, watches the 17 go to the rafters and hands the C to Staal.

Letting Roddy go is a no-win situation and i dont think its gonna happen.

The way he's been playing this year would anyone even want him? I dont think he has done that badly, but evidently the rest of the world is appalled by his +/-... He's probably untouchable at this point..in a bad way.

Regardless of that.. what kind of message do you send to your team when you trade away the team captain? Yes, it has happened in the past.. we traded Keith Primeau.. after he had seriously given the middle finger to the managment and the fanbase, but I mean come on... Yes, Francis was traded for the last half of his final season, at his request for a chance to play for Toronto and a chance to win another Stanley Cup (if only he could have held on 2 more years with us), but he immediately came back to the Canes became part of the management team and had his number retired.

Trading Brindamour right now I believe would send a message that Carolina has given up, regardless of how good or bad Rod is playing this year. Another 2 years and Roddy retires, watches the 17 go to the rafters and hands the C to Staal.

I completely, 100% agree with you. There's no point in giving up on him when he clearly is commited to this organization despite that "god awful" +/- stat (I could care less because it can either tell you everything or nothing). If some people actually watch Roddy, he's been playing well - not his best, but well - and he's been playing as best as he can for a 38 year old who had a season-ending knee injury last year and knee surgery at the beginning of this season. Give him the rest of his years and then he can follow Ronny and Glen to immortality and Big Money will get his C.

Brind'Amour isn't going anywhere. For various reasons outlined above. Realistically the only way he's coming off the roster, but not the cap, is retirement.

As for the deal, JR was thinking what a lot of people on this board seemed to be when he gave Brind'Amour that deal: he wasn't going to break down or get injured because of his fitness commitment. Who knows maybe he'll really be able to go at full speed again next year, but at this point we'll all have to wait and see.

IMO the untouchables should be Staal,Corvo, Gleason, Walker, Ruutu, Ward, and Williams. We need more size at forward and we need more physical d-men. I don't think it would be right to trade Brindy.

LaRose and Seidenberg won't be going anywhere unless packaged with better players.

Corvo won't be going anywhere either, he's producing, while yes his value is high, he's our best offensive defenseman right now. If we got rid of him, we'd have Pitkanen and that's it for good puck movers. Kaberle isn't doing anything special offensively, and shouldn't even be playing so count him out. Babchuk has a great shot but isn't a true offensive defenseman. We all know that JR loves his offensive D men, so I say Corvo will stay.

On the Ruutu note, yes Eklund said earlier in the year he could be traded, Spector said not too long ago that he wouldn't be and I trust him more. Also Eklund looks at contracts mainly for who he thinks will be traded, like last year Commodore and Stillman.

You asked what kind of message you send by trading the captain? A similar message you send by firing the coach. You send the message that the team is more important than any one guy. And if someone is dragging the entire team down with him, the people who's job it is to look out for the fans and the product on the ice will make the right move. If Brind'Amour's leadership were so influential on this team then it must be a bad influence because we have been playing soft and recently poorly, and if it were so crucial to the team, we would not have sprung forth with a huge winning streak the moment he went down last year.

Now I agree that they might have trouble finding a trade partner, and I agree that JR might not be able to actually pull the trigger on this deal, but that's what the team needs. If we can't do it, then we should jettison all of our older veterans and go for the draft pick now.

Unless the Canes totally tank, there is no way they will get a top draft pick. Most likely, they will finish in 9th - 11th place. Right now, they team has no identity. Last year when a majority of the team was injured and the callups from Albany were giving it their all, the "Rat Pack" made for exciting hockey. Right now, I don't know if a Wayne Gretskey type of player would help this team.

You asked what kind of message you send by trading the captain? A similar message you send by firing the coach. You send the message that the team is more important than any one guy. And if someone is dragging the entire team down with him, the people who's job it is to look out for the fans and the product on the ice will make the right move. If Brind'Amour's leadership were so influential on this team then it must be a bad influence because we have been playing soft and recently poorly, and if it were so crucial to the team, we would not have sprung forth with a huge winning streak the moment he went down last year.

Now I agree that they might have trouble finding a trade partner, and I agree that JR might not be able to actually pull the trigger on this deal, but that's what the team needs. If we can't do it, then we should jettison all of our older veterans and go for the draft pick now.

Absolutely. The team is more important than one guy regardless of the history between that player and its franchise. Having a veteran player finish out their career with another team happens often. We have dead weight right now and it is slowing the momentum of the team.

Have to agree with you there, Corvo is playing too well to let go. I'm all for saying adios to Kaberle and Malichar (or however you spell his name). I like Babchuk and want him to stay but if it were between him and Corvo, then I say good bye Chuk

Oh yeah I agree... Just lets not deal an 1st rounder or future draft picks...

I dearly hope Corvo and Ruutu do not get traded. Brindy will NOT be traded, neither will Staal. The options I see are Babchuk and Seidenberg. As much as I like Seids I think we could get some decent value for him, and if the right opporunity presents itself, we might have to part ways with him. As for, Babchuk, i've liked his play of late, but it isnt necassary that he sticks around.

I hope, somehow, we trade: Melichar & Kaberle

For: Mike Green & Alex Semin

In reality: 1st round draft pick 2009, 1st round draft pick 2010, Ruutu, Corvo

For: Craig Anderson & Karlis Skrastins

:P

I dearly hope Corvo and Ruutu do not get traded. Brindy will NOT be traded, neither will Staal. The options I see are Babchuk and Seidenberg. As much as I like Seids I think we could get some decent value for him, and if the right opporunity presents itself, we might have to part ways with him. As for, Babchuk, i've liked his play of late, but it isnt necassary that he sticks around.

I hope, somehow, we trade: Melichar & Kaberle

For: Mike Green & Alex Semin

In reality: 1st round draft pick 2009, 1st round draft pick 2010, Ruutu, Corvo

For: Craig Anderson & Karlis Skrastins

:P

Just curious but since Melichar took off for Russia, we no longer pay him or have trade rights. Correct?

Just curious but since Melichar took off for Russia, we no longer pay him or have trade rights. Correct?

We no longer have to pay him but he is under contract to us for the duration plus if he is a RFA then he can't come back without dealing with us.

I am surprised that a lot of you are saying that teams would not want Brind'Amour. Here is a captain, a guy who has won the cup, been through the playoffs many times, and one of the best face-off guys in the league. Despite his stats this year, I am sure there would be many takers. Like someone mentioned before, Chicago, I am sure would love his services going in to the playoffs with so much youth but so much potential. The problem with Chicago is when I look through their system I don't see anything that I think they may be willing to give up that we need (realistically speaking). But what about Boston?? Think about how much they could use a Brind'Amour. Perhaps we could get a couple players such as Blake Wheeler (size and skill) and Marchand (a great young player in their system who is smaller but lots of grit). What do people think?

Duh, i posted previously without thinking, it was LaCoutre and Murphy that took off to Russia not Melichar.