The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Trades, Rumors and Suggestions from the fans

I am surprised that a lot of you are saying that teams would not want Brind'Amour. Here is a captain, a guy who has won the cup, been through the playoffs many times, and one of the best face-off guys in the league. Despite his stats this year, I am sure there would be many takers. Like someone mentioned before, Chicago, I am sure would love his services going in to the playoffs with so much youth but so much potential. The problem with Chicago is when I look through their system I don't see anything that I think they may be willing to give up that we need (realistically speaking). But what about Boston?? Think about how much they could use a Brind'Amour. Perhaps we could get a couple players such as Blake Wheeler (size and skill) and Marchand (a great young player in their system who is smaller but lots of grit). What do people think?

If this was the last year of his contract, its possible a team would want his experience for the playoffs. However, he has 2 years left on his contract and he's a 38 year old, who is showing to be slowing down. You will be very hard pressed to find a team that is willing to take on a 38 year old with 2 years left in this salary cap era.

I am surprised that a lot of you are saying that teams would not want Brind'Amour. Here is a captain, a guy who has won the cup, been through the playoffs many times, and one of the best face-off guys in the league. Despite his stats this year, I am sure there would be many takers. Like someone mentioned before, Chicago, I am sure would love his services going in to the playoffs with so much youth but so much potential. The problem with Chicago is when I look through their system I don't see anything that I think they may be willing to give up that we need (realistically speaking). But what about Boston?? Think about how much they could use a Brind'Amour. Perhaps we could get a couple players such as Blake Wheeler (size and skill) and Marchand (a great young player in their system who is smaller but lots of grit). What do people think?

Brindy hasn't been the same since the CUP. Who cares what he has done in the past. We love the guy but honestly we need him to produce TODAY! I don't think Boston needs him. Chicago on the other hand might be the best option. Maybe the Yankees will pick him up. They love signing older guys who don't produce.

I for one think plenty of teams would be interested in Brind'Amour for the reasons you mentioned. He also is one of the hardest working players and a team challenging for the cup wants that kind of attitude around. But I think you would need to couple him with one or two other players and/ or prospects to maximize your return.

If we trade IMO we need a big center who can dig for the puck behind the net or park in front of the net without getting pushed around and we need a fast, tough scoring wing (somebody like pre-injury Eric Cole) to help Staal.

IMO only Staal, Ward and Corvo are off the table. We have plenty of others we don't want to go Williams,Whitney,Samsonov,Ruutu,Sutter,Seidenberg,Walker,Gleason,Wallin. LaRose but if the right deal came along I think we would part with them.

I wonder what Brind'Amore, Pitkanen and Eaves or a Prospect would bring. In spite of contract considerations deals can be made. Don't you think?

I for one think plenty of teams would be interested in Brind'Amour for the reasons you mentioned. He also is one of the hardest working players and a team challenging for the cup wants that kind of attitude around. But I think you would need to couple him with one or two other players and/ or prospects to maximize your return.

If we trade IMO we need a big center who can dig for the puck behind the net or park in front of the net without getting pushed around and we need a fast, tough scoring wing (somebody like pre-injury Eric Cole) to help Staal.

IMO only Staal, Ward and Corvo are off the table. We have plenty of others we don't want to go Williams,Whitney,Samsonov,Ruutu,Sutter,Seidenberg,Walker,Gleason,Wallin. LaRose but if the right deal came along I think we would part with them.

I wonder what Brind'Amore, Pitkanen and Eaves or a Prospect would bring. In spite of contract considerations deals can be made. Don't you think?

I think we need to make a trade to shake up the team we are playing very flat. I also would change ead coaches as well. I would not deal corvo and ruttu or samsanov these guys are producing for us. Seids is doing good gleason is injury prone right now. I would try getting rid of pitkanen, kabs , melichar, maybe eaves give him more playing time then see what we need to do there. I would trade pitkanen, kabs or eaves for j liles and a forward with energy and youth not injury prone. I think we messed up getting pitkanen insted of liles. I dont want to trade brindy b/c he will probally retire here but I think we need some more youth on the team. We should have kept aucoin he is doing very well for the caps organization. Everybody haas diff ideas but we all want to win and have a good team to watch.

If you look at it, it is obvious this organization has just not beenthe same since winning the cup. IMO it is time to break it all down and start over. I would keep the following players to build on: Staal, Samsonov, Rutu, Williams (maybe), Cullen, Sutter, Bayda, Larose, Corvo, Gleason, Pitkanen, Seids (myabe) and trade everyone else for some new young blood. A coaching change is also needed. I would be willing to live with a year or two being mediocre in exchange for this. Thoughts?

I just dont think he will bring what liles could to this team I have watched them both play and I think he is to offensive for us. If you notice he is always pinching up and leaving his postion. He couldnt stop blake on the wrap around last night he is overrated and I think we could swap him for someone better. Liles just got a new contract as well. The person I would love to see here but want never happen is Mike green he is one of the best O-Dmen i have ever seen. We just need to shed kabs real bad and pitkanen would sweeten the deal enough to bring liles here. Even try to give them leights they need a goalie.

I think we need to make a trade to shake up the team we are playing very flat. I also would change ead coaches as well. I would not deal corvo and ruttu or samsanov these guys are producing for us. Seids is doing good gleason is injury prone right now. I would try getting rid of pitkanen, kabs , melichar, maybe eaves give him more playing time then see what we need to do there. I would trade pitkanen, kabs or eaves for j liles and a forward with energy and youth not injury prone. I think we messed up getting pitkanen insted of liles. I dont want to trade brindy b/c he will probally retire here but I think we need some more youth on the team. We should have kept aucoin he is doing very well for the caps organization. Everybody haas diff ideas but we all want to win and have a good team to watch.

Liles was sent to become a Free Agent on July 1st, 2008. He re-signed with Colorado before that date. There was no way in H E double hockey sticks, that we could have made a trade for Liles.

Not to mention Liles is older and can't really play defense. Pitkanen on the other hand, is 24, has a better skill set, and oh yeah, isn't too shabby defensively. He just needs to hit, but Liles doesn't hit either.

I'd like to start a rumor :lol:

Andy McDonald from St Loius. He solves depth at center issues and his contract is up this year. He hasnt had a great season so far but St Louis has been severely depleted by injuries and been very inconsistent. When he played for the Ducks, he was a huge contributor in their Cup win.

His salary is high at $3.33 but since the numbers arent there so far this year, that number could come down. He's also coming off of an ankle injury and will need some time to get back up to speed when he returns after the Allstar break.

St Louis has tons of young talent at the center position and his contract makes him expendable. When talking about McDonald returning to the line up, his GM said:

"I don't want a long-term injury with him. This kid is a valuable player. We can't mess with him."

The term valuable could mean he's looked at as an asset. When JR talked about Williams, he clearly referred to him as a big part of team....big difference.

Just throwing it out there.

I'd like to start a rumor :lol:

Andy McDonald from St Loius. He solves depth at center issues and his contract is up this year. He hasnt had a great season so far but St Louis has been severely depleted by injuries and been very inconsistent. When he played for the Ducks, he was a huge contributor in their Cup win.

His salary is high at $3.33 but since the numbers arent there so far this year, that number could come down. He's also coming off of an ankle injury and will need some time to get back up to speed when he returns after the Allstar break.

St Louis has tons of young talent at the center position and his contract makes him expendable. When talking about McDonald returning to the line up, his GM said:

"I don't want a long-term injury with him. This kid is a valuable player. We can't mess with him."

The term valuable could mean he's looked at as an asset. When JR talked about Williams, he clearly referred to him as a big part of team....big difference.

Just throwing it out there.

He was their best player bar none before he got injured. So yea, that could work. Idk though...oldish and injury prone.

He was their best player bar none before he got injured. So yea, that could work. Idk though...oldish and injury prone.

He'd fit right in then, wouldnt he :lol: .

j/k, that is a risk but could work if Brind'Amour decides he's done after this season.

Williams really wants to stay here, because *gasp* he likes it better than Philly! He effed up his knee last season. Ok. He's done that before and it's a possible recurring thing, only your doctors are in fact better than the ones he saw in Philly the first time. So that's a lot less likely. He tore his achilles right before camp. Freak accident that could happen to anyone. He worked his butt off and came back early because he wants to play here. It is not always easy to find players who genuinely want to stay in one place, let alone a "non-traditional market", for a long time. When you find 'em, usually you keep 'em.

And Ruu? There's no way we can afford to let him go. He's really the only physical presence we have up front, and Gleason has pointed out we're too soft on that as well. He works hard and he's got game. If we had someone else who could hit and play good hockey like Ruu, we'd be in much better shape.

Staal... I think we've LeCavalier'd him. We kept telling him he was all that and a bag of chips, he got the big paycheck, and he's been less than stellar since. Is he talented enough to do what we want him to do? Definitely! Is he motivated enough? Umm, no. Why not? Is he under the impression he's too good for that? He's huge. He can go into the corner and get the puck for himself. His wingers shouldn't have to do it for him. He's a big boy.

And would it kill him to have someone teach him to win a draw?

As far as our D goes, Corvo, Seidenberg, and Gleason have been just about the only ones to impress me at all. Corvo is not terribly talented but he sure outworks everyone. I'd love to have six of him. Seidenberg actually tries. He has his flashes of brilliance. Gleason is the only reason we don't get beat to a bloody pulp some nights. I'd keep all three if I could. I'd even keep Pitkanen if he'd just hit somebody once in a while.

I've started to believe that Staal just needs a teammate that is of his caliber to return to his 100-point production. Every Crosby in the NHL has a Malkin to support him, or else their team is not successful (like Iginla, Kovalchuk, Staal, etc.). I don't know who would be available, especially on this team's budget. Gaborik and Hossa are the only two that fit the bill and will potentially be free agents this offseason. If Karmanos has any hope to see this team back in contention for the Stanley Cup, he'll have to allow Rutherford to make a move of this caliber.

I've started to believe that Staal just needs a teammate that is of his caliber to return to his 100-point production. Every Crosby in the NHL has a Malkin to support him, or else their team is not successful (like Iginla, Kovalchuk, Staal, etc.). I don't know who would be available, especially on this team's budget. Gaborik and Hossa are the only two that fit the bill and will potentially be free agents this offseason. If Karmanos has any hope to see this team back in contention for the Stanley Cup, he'll have to allow Rutherford to make a move of this caliber.

But the canes don't have the tradable assets to make that kind of move without gutting what is left of the team and farm system. If the canes are going to get that kind of player to compliment Staal they're going to have to draft him or sign a big buck free agent.

Lets face it, if this set of core player's run is over a tweak isn't going to fix the team. And frankly if thats the case then so be it, but management needs to stop thinking it's still 2006 and that this roster is built to succeed. Maybe it's possible to fix it with one or two trades but I am starting to think that the team is better off being really bad for the next two years instead of just kinda bad.

Maybe it's possible to fix it with one or two trades but I am starting to think that the team is better off being really bad for the next two years instead of just kinda bad.

Worked for Philly, Pittsburgh, Boston and Washington. Not so much for LA, St Louis and Tampa.

I could see Wellwood ending up here, hes young, has good potential and is under appreciated, thats JRs MO, maybe a package deal including willie mitchell.

that would be another undesized midget joining our team. Definitely not what i want to see.

Corvos actually probably the best skater and possibly puck handler on the team behind samsonov

Pitkanen and Whitney say hi and disagree.

how bout david setoguchi from the san jose sharks. his cap hit is only 1.2 million and he is young player who can score and pass really well.

:lol: