The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Trades, Rumors and Suggestions from the fans

u got anything better TSA

Nope, and I'd love a player like David Setoguchi but unfortunately he's part of the long term plans for SJ and is unattainable.

The only 1st round draft pick the Canes are getting is going to have to be drafted by the Canes.

They are looking to get rid of Antropov, but they're expecting a high return for him. Higher than what he's actually worth.

And the Sharks aren't looking to get rid of Setoguchi, but they may be willing to get rid of Pavelski. Not a bad player, wins faceoffs, plays the powerplay and the PK. We may have to give up a bit for him, but he may actually be worth it.

They are looking to get rid of Antropov, but they're expecting a high return for him. Higher than what he's actually worth.

And the Sharks aren't looking to get rid of Setoguchi, but they may be willing to get rid of Pavelski. Not a bad player, wins faceoffs, plays the powerplay and the PK. We may have to give up a bit for him, but he may actually be worth it.

I get to see a lot of Pavelski, and he's a good, good player. Absolutely could be that second line center that we need. However, he's so versatile I'm not entirely sure that the Sharks will let him go.

I get to see a lot of Pavelski, and he's a good, good player. Absolutely could be that second line center that we need. However, he's so versatile I'm not entirely sure that the Sharks will let him go.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. However, I talked to a Shark fan and he said Pavelski's not happy playing the 3rd line in San Jose. Probably wouldn't be happy playing the 2nd line in Carolina either, but it might be worth a shot.

Yea pavelski sounds like a better option than antropov. If he really is unhappy in san jose hill would probably be easier to get than antropov and we wouldnt have to give as much up to get him. He would probably enjoy playing 2nd line for carolina more ice time and if he gets to play with whitney and williams/walker he would probably like that alot more.

What do u guys think San jose would want for Pavelski?

I'm hoping we could maybe dump Eaves and Kabs for him. I suppose Eaves is still worth something, and since SJ has gotten so far into the playoffs the past few years but never to the Cup maybe they could use Kabs as a defenseman who has already won it.

He's going to cost more than Eaves and Kaberle. They passed on Kaberle when he went through the waiver wire, and Eaves alone isn't enough to get Pavelski. Samsonov's a start, but again, it's going to take more than that to get him.

Since he's young, we'll likely have to give up a good prospect to get him, as well as a high draft pick (2nd/3rd round). Plus, whatever NHL proven player the two teams can agree upon.

This all sounds like wishes rather than a rumor mill. ;) I would love to see us get someone that would create excitement for the team and fan base. I just don't see us affording it on our very limited budget. I'm enjoying reading about all of the wishes.

This all sounds like wishes rather than a rumor mill. ;) I would love to see us get someone that would create excitement for the team and fan base. I just don't see us affording it on our very limited budget. I'm enjoying reading about all of the wishes.

That is why we are talking about players that dont cost alot.

He's going to cost more than Eaves and Kaberle. They passed on Kaberle when he went through the waiver wire, and Eaves alone isn't enough to get Pavelski. Samsonov's a start, but again, it's going to take more than that to get him.

Since he's young, we'll likely have to give up a good prospect to get him, as well as a high draft pick (2nd/3rd round). Plus, whatever NHL proven player the two teams can agree upon.

Walker, 2nd round pick (maybe kaberle) for Pavelski

As much as I like walker if he would be traded I wouldnt have a problem with it.

What'd want Kings for Frolov?

I hope see McDonald in red jersey.

Frolov would be great or McDonald either 1 would be a huge boost to this team.

If carolina gave up 1 of their veteran players like a walker/kaberle/Wallin and maybe a decent prospect and a draft pick 3rd round maybe they could probably get Frolov because The Kings dont have alot of veteran leadership on that team. They have alot of good young talent in Los Angeles

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. However, I talked to a Shark fan and he said Pavelski's not happy playing the 3rd line in San Jose. Probably wouldn't be happy playing the 2nd line in Carolina either, but it might be worth a shot.

This would cure a lot of our problems.

Kaberle wouldn't help any trade, so I wouldn't expect him to be traded unless the other team wasn't giving up enough so we threw Kaberle in the trade.

Pavelski is still only 24, so the asking price would be high. He also has a cap hit of 1.6 and the sharks only have around 600k in cap space so we would have to take on salary in some way.

McDonald is 30 and has a cap hit of 3.33, so he would be more likely, but he has been out with a broken ankle since November 17th.

Wakler, 2nd round pick (maybe kaberle) for Pavelski

As much as I like walker if he would be traded I wouldnt have a problem with it.

Now the Sharks would at the very least consider this. They've been wanting some more grit (see: Claude Lemieux signing), and I could swallow losing Walker and a pick. It would be tough, because Walks is one of the FEW who always brings it, and he's a real leader IMO...also very hard nosed...things we just don't have enough of right now. But Pavelski may be worth it...not sure though. Def. don't want any unhappy player...and how much potential really does Pavelski have to be a top flight second centerman? But still it could be worth it.

My roster plan would look like this:

-Trade Brind'Amour by the trade deadline. (I still think Chicago is a potential destination, but only if they are able to move one of their goaltenders.)

-Don't expect any significant return from the Brind'Amour deal. (This would simply be a move to clear salary space, so only draft picks or prospects should be expected.)

-Trade Walker if he'll waive his no-trade-clause. (Perhaps deal him to a playoff-bound team that needs to add grit. The appeal of a shot at the Stanley Cup should be enough to lure Walker to waive his clause.)

-Don't expect any significant return from the Walker deal. (Once more, this is to clear salary space for the offseason, so a draft pick or prospect would be enough.)

-Attempt to unload Kaberle in one of the earlier deals or hope that there is a team desperate enough to make a move for him at the deadline. (Yet another move simply made to clear salary for the offseason.)

If these moves are made, it would leave the team with roughly $11 million to spend in free agency (to Karmanos' self-imposed salary cap). This money could be used to re-sign Ruutu and to make the move for a player like Gaborik or Hossa.

After those signings, the team could potentially ice a line-up like this:

Whitney / Staal / Hossa

Samsonov / Ruutu / Williams

Eaves / Cullen / Sutter

Corvo, Gleason, Pitkanen, and Wallin would be retained on defense, so Borer, Carson, Conboy, and Rodney could battle it out in training camp is to fill the bottom two spots.

In the end, you're left with what I believe is an improved offense which would hopefully be able to take alot of pressure off of our defense and goaltender. The other key is that these moves are made without any significant inflation in the overall team salary, which I believe is key to any proposed moves.

That actually looks somewhat reasonable, JJ. But Brind'Amour is more likely to retire than to be traded.

It does look reasonable, except for the fact that I doubt we would be able to attract a star FA to Carolina. We would really have to start winning immediately, or at least show signs of trying to compete.