The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Trades, Rumors and Suggestions from the fans

IF...IF...We want to change this team we clear serious cap space (Brind`amour, Walker, Wallin, Kaberle, Whitney, Williams) we could be in a situation to get both Gaborik and Hossa. 7 Million a piece. Most people dont know they are pretty close friends and have expressed interest in playing together. With the right situation, they would take discounts to play together. I know my previous posted "what to do" roster is much better and more likely, but one can dream.

Gaborik-Staal-Hossa

Samsonov-Cullen-Ruutu

Boychuk-Sutter-Bowman

Helminen-Yelle-LaRose

Corvo-Gleason

Pitkanen-Babchuk

Seidenberg-Carson

It does look reasonable, except for the fact that I doubt we would be able to attract a star FA to Carolina. We would really have to start winning immediately, or at least show signs of trying to compete.

Which is why it's a perfect time to make a move like this. With the salary cap set to either stay the same or even decrease, most of the major markets will have to make moves just to get below the salary cap. So, unless Gaborik or Hossa takes a significant pay-cut the only choices they will have will be teams like Atlanta, Carolina, Los Angeles, Phoenix, etc. Out of that group, Carolina doesn't look like too bad of a destination.

While I think both are completely out of the question. If the above moves are made, I could very easily see either one with the Hurricanes next season. That's the type of move Karmanos and Rutherford will need to make to get this team back into playoff contention. I HOPE they realize that.

My roster plan would look like this:

Trade Brind'amour, Whitney, Walker, and Kaberle (saves $11.2 million next year). Just look for draft picks, prospects, or future considerations in return.

Resign Ruutu, Seidenberg, Babchuck, and Larose.

Let Bayda, Brookbank, and Melichar leave in free agency.

Sign the following UFAs: Erik Cole, Alex Burrows, Tomas Kopecky, and Mike Rupp.

Samsonov - Staal - Cole

Williams - Cullen - Ruutu

Burrows - Sutter - Eaves

Rupp - Kopecky - Larose

Pitkanen - Seidenberg

Gleason - Corvo

Wallin - Babchuck

JR stated today that for now, he is "staying the course." (reported in the N&O.) He commented that he likes this group of guys and they need to dig out of the current situation. If he means this at face value...then we are just screwed to get more of the inconsistency that we've been given during recent years and get about the 12th overall draft pick. Not low enough to get a difference maker and a record out of the playoffs.

In the same article, JR stated that he is not actively looking to move anyone, that he has been called lately by other teams, and that he is focusing on March 1 to the deadline when he would consider adding a player or two for a playoff run. This means that teams have made what JR considers to be low offers for Canes players and he is willing to move guys, but not actively shopping. Waiting for the trade deadline is not JRs typical trade mode of operation. He usually acts a bit earlier to avoid the frenzy, think last year's Ruutu and Corvo deals. The deadline is often a time when sellers (not buyers!) can get more for their guys from teams that are desperate to match a move made by a rival or to fill in for an untimely injury or in a best case scenario, when teams bid against one another for a piece to their puzzle that you have. Another note of interest is that JR was with the team in Buffalo on Saturday. At this time of year, that usually means that he was scouting his own team to help determine value and future use to the team of players. I say this because he is not likely to trade with Buffalo to whom we are close in the standings.

So, I hope that I'm reading into this right and JR has recognized that this Canes team is consistently inconsistent and will bounce back just high enough to let you down and that at the deadline changes will be made to begin rebuilding this team by making trades that are favorable to the Canes for the long term although they may mean giving up Cup vets or fan faves now to get that value. If it's face value info, well, that's what we've come to expect isn't it? Would just be more of the same...and we know how that goes.

Sign the following UFAs: Erik Cole, Alex Burrows, Tomas Kopecky, and Mike Rupp.

I watch UFA's 2009 list and player(s) who wants to see in 'caniac jersey is Stephane Yelle, Mike York, Mike Komisarek, Johan Franzen and his teammate - Samuellson. To see one of them in Carolina, I feel very happy.

Samsonov - Staal - Cole

Williams - Cullen - Ruutu

Burrows - Sutter - Eaves

Rupp - Kopecky - Larose

Kopecky sux. This guy has only one skills - taking stupid, very stupid penalties.

Pitkanen - Seidenberg

Gleason - Corvo

Wallin - Babchuck

We should trade Seids and Wallin for other D (Matt Lashoff? Kyle McLaren?)

You guys are all sitting in Santa's lap and asking for a pony, knowing that it will never happen. Some of the players you want to trade aren't going to be moved for one reason or another. If they are, it will just be a salary dump with little to no return.

Wallin---How many times do we go through this one. NTC. He isn't going to waive it. It's his, he got it in his contract.

Kaberle---J.R. tried to give him away and no takers. If a contender has injuries at the deadline, they may want him.

Brindy---At his current level of play, is a team going to want him for 2 more years at $6m. Chicago is the only possibility I see.

Now that those are addressed, let's get to who could be moved and this would be a "throw in the towel" move for this season. A couple of these players could bring a decent prospect or pick. To get a real return, J.R. would probably need to send 2 of these to one team.

Walker---One more year on a contract at $2.5m. Would offer a playoff team a gritty player who would love to lift the Cup.

Whitney---One more year at $3.55m. A lot of money, but he has a lot left in the tank on the offensive end.

Williams---Tough to call this one. 2 more years at $3.5m. Injury prone. Who are the takers.

Cullen---I don't see this with Brindy's current play.

Samsonov---Resurected his career, but is a team willing to see if he can make the change to another team?

Eaves---Can't find his way out of the dog house.

Seids---If J.R. deems us out of the playoffs, Seids would be a great rental d-man to a contender (not signed next season).

LaRose---Another possibility of a rental for a contender that needs an energy player for a title run.

Of these players, I see Walker, Whitney, and Seidenberg as the most likely to be traded. I'd almost rather see us get a top prospect or 2 to see on the ice with Staal, Sutter, and Boychuck than to get a draft pick that we will have to wait for. This market is going to be a tough sell for a long term rebuild.

I watch UFA's 2009 list and player(s) who wants to see in 'caniac jersey is Stephane Yelle, Mike York, Mike Komisarek, Johan Franzen and his teammate - Samuellson. To see one of them in Carolina, I feel very happy.

Kopecky sux. This guy has only one skills - taking stupid, very stupid penalties.

You can't trade Wallin, he has a no trade clause in his contract!

hmmmmm...of all the D men we have seids is one i WOULDNT trade. Maybe im playing donnie downer here. unfortunatley, we dont have a D man that anybody would give a bag aof chips for.walls has a NTC.im leaving out seids, pits, and corvo because i think theydo a decent job. Im starting to realize the motivation level of this team is about as valuable as outhouse wallpaper right now. its pretty nasty.

There are some interesting ideas in here but the topic of the thread is about rumors that are out there around the league involving the Canes. Here's a couple of threads that can be used for wish list line up changes:

"If I were the coach...."

http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index...showtopic=16180

"What to do..."

http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index...showtopic=17405

Lets get cole back Oilers are looking at trading him off. I think we need some younger players for energy. Look at the Caps there team is little more than there AHL Calder cup team from 06. I think thats a good blueprint to follow thats affordable.

Lets get cole back Oilers are looking at trading him off. I think we need some younger players for energy. Look at the Caps there team is little more than there AHL Calder cup team from 06. I think thats a good blueprint to follow thats affordable.

Please read the post above yours ;)

existing rumors from any media or league source = this thread

wish lists and playing GM = the other two threads

JR stated today that for now, he is "staying the course." (reported in the N&O.) He commented that he likes this group of guys and they need to dig out of the current situation. If he means this at face value...then we are just screwed to get more of the inconsistency that we've been given during recent years and get about the 12th overall draft pick. Not low enough to get a difference maker and a record out of the playoffs.

In the same article, JR stated that he is not actively looking to move anyone, that he has been called lately by other teams, and that he is focusing on March 1 to the deadline when he would consider adding a player or two for a playoff run. This means that teams have made what JR considers to be low offers for Canes players and he is willing to move guys, but not actively shopping. Waiting for the trade deadline is not JRs typical trade mode of operation. He usually acts a bit earlier to avoid the frenzy, think last year's Ruutu and Corvo deals. The deadline is often a time when sellers (not buyers!) can get more for their guys from teams that are desperate to match a move made by a rival or to fill in for an untimely injury or in a best case scenario, when teams bid against one another for a piece to their puzzle that you have. Another note of interest is that JR was with the team in Buffalo on Saturday. At this time of year, that usually means that he was scouting his own team to help determine value and future use to the team of players. I say this because he is not likely to trade with Buffalo to whom we are close in the standings.

So, I hope that I'm reading into this right and JR has recognized that this Canes team is consistently inconsistent and will bounce back just high enough to let you down and that at the deadline changes will be made to begin rebuilding this team by making trades that are favorable to the Canes for the long term although they may mean giving up Cup vets or fan faves now to get that value. If it's face value info, well, that's what we've come to expect isn't it? Would just be more of the same...and we know how that goes.

I can't help but be scared by comments like this from Rutherford. These continual yearly band-aids will only hurt this franchise in the future, which should really be his primary concern at the moment.

I can't help but be scared by comments like this from Rutherford. These continual yearly band-aids will only hurt this franchise in the future, which should really be his primary concern at the moment.

Yep, several missteps this season. Starting with canning Lavi instead of trading Brindy or benching him, then bringing back the losingest coach in Canes history, the PK shooting off at least 8 of his toes with his comments last week. All this really makes me want to keep my 7 seats NOT. My ticket rep has been hard to find since the PK speech.

Hossa wouldn't come here. He wouldn't sign with the Pens and they went to the SCF last year. Didn't he take less money to sign with the Wings than the Pens offered? Gaborik would not be worth the risk IMO given his chronic injurys.

To put this on topic here's a crazy Eklund rumor:

Toskala to the Canes. I don't pay for his site so all I've got is the headline but its a rumor from "any media" if pushing that definition.

LOL, Eklund is a source...of some kind.

That's a strange one, seems a little early to give up on Toskala now that they're building the rest of the team.

LOL, Eklund is a source...of some kind.

That's a strange one, seems a little early to give up on Toskala.

Same with Ward.

Btw, if anyone has Eklund's insider thing, I'd be curious to here what he says about Toskala and our players.

Same with Ward.

Btw, if anyone has Eklund's insider thing, I'd be curious to here what he says about Toskala and our players.

the last i checked we were shopping Chad and Sieds.

the last i checked we were shopping Chad and Sieds.

Those are the easy ones to rumor as out there because they are UFA after the season so also easiest to move, but I have not heard anything with them that seemed to have substance.

Well you have to remember that is from Eklund!!

The Toskala rumor is interesting though, I guess it would mean we would give them Leighton but would that be enough to push Cam.

My only concern is that any deal that involved Toskala headed this way would include one of our goaltender prospects headed to Toronto, namely Mike Murphy, as Toronto has very little organizational depth at that position. I could see LaRose or Seidenberg or both involved, as well as Kaberle simply to make room for Toskala's bloated salary.

My only concern is that any deal that involved Toskala headed this way would include one of our goaltender prospects headed to Toronto, namely Mike Murphy, as Toronto has very little organizational depth at that position. I could see LaRose or Seidenberg or both involved, as well as Kaberle simply to make room for Toskala's bloated salary.

My only concern is that Toskala is not a second line center.