The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Trades, Rumors and Suggestions from the fans

Well you have to remember that is from Eklund!!

The Toskala rumor is interesting though, I guess it would mean we would give them Leighton but would that be enough to push Cam.

I'm thinking there probably isn't much here due to $$$. Increasing back-up goalie salary $3.4? I don't see the Canes doing that. Although having a bit of a reclamation project to push Cam could be an interesting situation. What makes some sense is the Fin connection with Toskala with Ruutu and Pitkanen. Maybe bringing in Antropov and Toskala and sending the Leafs something like Williams, Kaberle, and Justin Peters. Then we'd need to waive Leighton and he might get snagged by the Isles or another team and not make it to Albany. Somehow just doesn't seem like there is enough upside to trade with the Leafs. But that is the fun of rumors!

although I don't believe any eklund rumors, but trading LaRose and seidenberg, the 2 most improved players on the team would really anger me to be honest.

I want to keep those goes for the next 3 to 4 years as the canes get younger hopefully in future years.

Not that there is any shred of credibility to the Eklund rumor, but if the Canes were to pick up Toskala it would have to be as a starter given his salary. Which means JR would need to have given up on Ward as the full time starter, not given up on Leighton.

although I don't believe any eklund rumors, but trading LaRose and seidenberg, the 2 most improved players on the team would really anger me to be honest.

I want to keep those goes for the next 3 to 4 years as the canes get younger hopefully in future years.

You have to look at this past offseason where both LaRose and Seidenberg were reportedly difficult to re-sign. Fast forward to this offseason and, unless Rutherford makes a variety of moves to clear salary, the Hurricanes likely won't have enough room under the salary cap to re-sign either player.

Not that there is any shred of credibility to the Eklund rumor, but if the Canes were to pick up Toskala it would have to be as a starter given his salary. Which means JR would need to have given up on Ward as the full time starter, not given up on Leighton.

If there is no shred of credibility, then why do we have this thread? :P

That's what I thought when I heard the rumor, we're not gunna be like Chicago and spend 6.6 on two goalies.

JR has said the goal is to have a Ward/Peters tandem, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if Leighton isn't here past next year.

That's what I thought when I heard the rumor, we're not gunna be like Chicago and spend 6.6 on two goalies.

JR has said the goal is to have a Ward/Peters tandem, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if Leighton isn't here past next year.

Really? Do you have any more info on this? I must be slipping cus I don't remember hearing that.

You have to look at this past offseason where both LaRose and Seidenberg were reportedly difficult to re-sign. Fast forward to this offseason and, unless Rutherford makes a variety of moves to clear salary, the Hurricanes likely won't have enough room under the salary cap to re-sign either player.

I think Seids' issue was he wanted a longer term, not so much about $. Of course, JR in his infinite wisdom signed him to 1 yr, so will need to pay more to keep him in the future. I think they'll have to pony up to keep him...keep an ear out for trade rumors though...JR doesn't like to just let UFAs go without getting something back. Hard to believe he could get a huge amount for Seids though, still an up and comer in the NHL. Any guesses as to what Seids is worth on the market?

LaRose is interesting...I suspect JR may not cough up the dough to re-sign him. Rosie was just looking for 3rd vs 4th line money...and I think he's starting to prove he's worth it since he's good on PK and can move up to 2nd line to fill in as needed. It could depend on Mo, as he seems to like Rosie after the initial doghouse days. One consideration...if we re-sign LaRose, there will only be room for one of Boychuk/Bowman/other from Albany, assuming no one else is traded and that Bayda will not be re-signed.

EDIT: I did forget that Brookbank is not likely to be back since we have Conboy coming up on a one-way next year...but will we have room for Conboy as a D-man or will he be in Brookbank's slot?

Really? Do you have any more info on this? I must be slipping cus I don't remember hearing that.

It was in one of the season updates or before the season updates, I'll look for it.

http://hurricanes.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=684&id=20700' target="_blank">Here it is.

[/post]

Around the 8:30 mark he talks about the goalies in the system and mentions a Ward/Peters tandem.

Basically you guys are saying that JR will make a trade/move to get another goalie? Is this going to happen in the off-season or before the deadline? Honestly we need a strong Center for the 2nd line. I don't see us getting another goalie when we are not putting up offensive numbers.

Basically you guys are saying that JR will make a trade/move to get another goalie? Is this going to happen in the off-season or before the deadline? Honestly we need a strong Center for the 2nd line. I don't see us getting another goalie when we are not putting up offensive numbers.

That's not what I'm saying at all.

I was responding to the Toskala to the Canes rumor saying we wouldn't be taking on all that salary and if any goalie would be leaving it would be Leighton, so the rumor is not likely at all. The Ward and Peters tandem thing was just backing up what I was saying. I agree with you, obviously we have much bigger needs than another goalie, a 2nd line center and top scoring winger should be at the top of that list.

It was in one of the season updates or before the season updates, I'll look for it.

http://hurricanes.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=684&id=20700' target="_blank">Here it is.

[/post]

Around the 8:30 mark he talks about the goalies in the system and mentions a Ward/Peters tandem.

You are indeed right sir. Thank you. I find it odd that right after he talks about Leighton, he says Peters is the guy they plan to have as a backup in the future.

I really don't know how we can be sure about the quality of our current back up goalie since he never plays. Given how long Cam struggled before finding a better groove this year, I would like to see Leighton a few more times. Now the second line center is where I would spend the money. But I guess I've made that point a few times now.

Since Ottawa has an abundance of goalies, it shouldn't be too hard to get Gerber back... I wouldn't be surprised to see JR give another former-Cane a second chance. But, probably not acquire him through a trade, huh? Just food for thought.

remkin, forget acquiring another center. Brind'Amour will not be traded. .

Then forget the playoffs. #9 here we come. Oh, maybe this year we squeek in and get crushed by the Bruins.

Then forget the playoffs. #9 here we come. Oh, maybe this year we squeek in and get crushed by the Bruins.

Hey, I dont mind getting in. Even if to get crushed by the Bruins. It would be nice to see the playoffs again. And, remkin is correct, Brindy will not be traded...

Goaltender is the most important position and - emotions aside - what do we have? Ward (who has yet to prove

he can handle a heavy workload down the stretch - and has already spent time this year resting an injury) -- and

Leighton, who has only proven he can handle the backup goal position as well as Grahame did. :)

remkin, forget acquiring another center. Brind'Amour will not be traded. JR should try to get an experienced

backup goalie and maybe a veteran depth d-man (anticipating injuries during a playoff run). He should try to

acquire a scoring winger (think Martin Era- type, not a Kovalchuk-type), but lkely will not offer enough to get

a good one and come up empty. That is the most likely scenario. Expect more and you will be disappointed.

Glad Davidrabbit has the inside information. Let me get this straight - being that Ward hasn't proved he can handle a heavy workload and has been injured this year AND being that Leighton HAS ONLY proven to be a back up goalie that JR is going to go out and get ANOTHER back up goalie? HMMMMM

I think Remkin is right. WE need a 2nd line Center and keeping Brind'Amour doesn't make sense. I can see JR trading him and why wouldn't he?

Are you all kidding??? Trade Eaves? He's awful? Eaves LEADS THE TEAM IN +/- FROM THE FOURTH LINE. Eaves hardly gets any ice time. Right, tell me +/- doesn't mean anything, (on this team it does, when you look at Brindy's -29). He doesn't turn the puck over, and hardly makes a mistake. Sorry...he's not gonna get back to 20-Goal form from the Fourth Line on THIS team, if our best player has but 20 goals. And for all of those who are getting down on Staal...yeah, his numbers are down, like everyone's. He's 8, count em' 8 goals out of THIRD PLACE IN THE LEAGUE. Seems like everyone is in panic mode.

Kaberle has been on the block all year...the only reason I could see Corvo being on the block is strickly a money move. And you can believe, if the Canes slip further out of the playoff picture, Corvo won't be the only one traded.

Sorry, but to me, the most underachieving player on this Canes team is Brind`Amour. If anyone needs to be traded, you start with him. I understand the history, who he is, his effort, ect. But if you're gonna talk about underachieving players, this guy is the TOP OF THE LIST. His stats don't lie.

Your right, the only "glorious" time we have had out of Ward was when him and Gerbs were fighting for number one. The biggest curse they have placed on him was when at the first Stanley Cup Championship celebration when they said he would be next season's number one goalie. I know some of you don't like Gerber but had they kept him two more years and kept the goalie tandem as is then at this point in his development Cam would be much further along.

Your right, the only "glorious" time we have had out of Ward was when him and Gerbs were fighting for number one. The biggest curse they have placed on him was when at the first Stanley Cup Championship celebration when they said he would be next season's number one goalie. I know some of you don't like Gerber but had they kept him two more years and kept the goalie tandem as is then at this point in his development Cam would be much further along.

Ward might be farther along if Gerber had stayed, but Gerber had no interest in staying so why pretend even if the Canes had matched Ottawa's offer that he would have stayed. Stop beating the sun bleached bones of the dead horse.

I dont recall a goalie battle in '06, Cam's numbers in '06 were worse then Leightons. 3.68 GAA and .882 SV% :\ He looked like he might go back to the AHL at different points in that season before the playoffs.

The Canes main problem isn't goaltending, it's goal scoring. The top 3 teams in the league are averaging 3.5 GPG and the next 3 are averaging 3 GPG. We are scoring 2.5 GPG. It looks to me that if the Hurricanes aspire to being an elite team, we need scoring as well as goaltending. Deal with the scoring problem and watch the goalie issue fade away.

On Ward: Overall he is playing better this year than over the past two years. He had a bad run during our losing streak, no doubt. That brought his numbers down, but before that he was a middle of the pack NHL starter (sv %, GAA). That's an improvement though, as in the previous seasons he was back of the pack. How he comes out after the All Star break will be telling. He has shown stretches of consistant play, and if he gets back to that we're ok in goal. (The last game suggests he will).

Those comparing Ward to Brodeur, come on. There is no goalie on the ice or maybe even that ever lived that can stack their career vs. Brodeur. Let's get real.

On Leighton: It is clear that Maurice is not a huge fan. Leighton has looked bad at times, but he has simply not gotten enough ice time to know what he can do. Forslund consitantly insists that Cam has much better skills and positioning, which is probably true, but imagine if Ward only played every 8 games. At the least we need to see Leighton in back to backs, and we're harldy even seeing that.

On Brind'Amour: Never has the needs of the team more dramatically opposed the needs of one player. As a fan, would I rather see my Captain, future Hall of Famer be allowed to keep playing badly and watch the entire team limp towards sub mediocrity and another run at the "just missed the playoffs and mid round draft pick"? Or, would I rather see the team fully acknowledge the legend and then move forward to improve the team by dramatically upgrading our weakest (by far) key position on the ice, leadding to the playoffs with a chance to make a run?

I suspect that at some level someone is whispering this into someone's ear. I am hoping that the plan is to see how Brindy comes back from the All-Star break and how the team does over the next 6 games. I wouldn't wait that long, but I'm not in charge. In order for a new player to have an impact they need to gell with the team and then have a few games to make a difference over.

I'm not saying it will happen. Just that that fact that it should happen is glaringly obvious.

Ward might be farther along if Gerber had stayed, but Gerber had no interest in staying so why pretend even if the Canes had matched Ottawa's offer that he would have stayed. Stop beating the sun bleached bones of the dead horse.

For Gerber it wasn't about the money so matching what he got offered by Ottawa wouldn't have been an issue BUT he did want to be the #1. If you read this thread it is all about woulda, coulda, shoulda so your dead horse comment doesn't apply.