The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Trades, Rumors and Suggestions from the fans

I think Remkin is right. WE need a 2nd line Center and keeping Brind'Amour doesn't make sense. I can see JR trading him and why wouldn't he?

Well first you need to find a team that would take him. Second that team needs to have the cap space and be willing to take on a 38 year old with 2 years left on his contract.

Finding a team to take Brind'Amour now is not going to happen. If he was on the last year of his contract, then yeah, a team would love to have his experience and leadership on their team for the playoffs. But what half of you are not thinking about is that he's 38, with 2 years left on his contract. In this cap era time, teams are looking for younger cheaper guys, not old slowing down guys who cost a nice penny.

I dont recall a goalie battle in '06, Cam's numbers in '06 were worse then Leightons. 3.68 GAA and .882 SV% :\ He looked like he might go back to the AHL at different points in that season before the playoffs.

Ward plays better when he is pushed, I personally think that is what lead to the playoff performance (plus being the fresher of the two goalies). He knew during the playoffs that he was one bad outing from being benched and Gerbs going in. With that incentive he played out of his mind.

For Gerber it wasn't about the money so matching what he got offered by Ottawa wouldn't have been an issue BUT he did want to be the #1. If you read this thread it is all about woulda, coulda, shoulda so your dead horse comment doesn't apply.

Actually this thread is supposed be about "actual" rumors that are out there in the media about the Canes and their players. Its not about wish lists, who fans would like to see traded or brought in or even arguments about past players and their contracts.

Any chance we can get this back on topic? As we get closer and closer to the trade deadline, more and more rumors are going to surface from various sources (other than our own minds). It would be nice if we could stick to the point of this thread and use it as a place to post all the rumors we read and hear from the internet, radio and random publications.

Thanks.

I think Vermette would be a nice addition but again with the Sens being Sellers, they would be expecting good picks/prospects which the Canes cant afford to sacrafice and with him only signed through next year at 3 Mil, is this even doable with their self imposed cap with the likely hood of him getting a raise the following year, probably not. Surely they would get outbid regardless. Oh yeah, the Sens also got hosed trading with the Canes last year so they would be looking to be the guaranteed winner of the trade in their minds if they swapped again.

I really don't care what names are on the back of the jersies provided the Canes management does not sacrifice long term gains for simply making it into the playoffs as an 8th seed.

Ward might be farther along if Gerber had stayed, but Gerber had no interest in staying so why pretend even if the Canes had matched Ottawa's offer that he would have stayed. Stop beating the sun bleached bones of the dead horse.

more development for ward? you think starting 60 games per season for two seasons straight isn't better development than sitting on the bench for 2 years.

more development for ward? you think starting 60 games per season for two seasons straight isn't better development than sitting on the bench for 2 years.

given his inconsistent play - YES!!

I don't want to see any trades right now, our line up is solid and has the potential to go all the way but only if.................Staal scores more, and Ward plays above average.

And it would help if everbody started actually finishing some of there shots. everyone on our team is behind on there average offensive stats except Whitney and Ruutu, Corvo and Pitkanen.

There taking the shots, getting the chances, it just seems like theres a hex on us getting the puck across the goal line, I'm not sure trades would fix that.

Staal and Ward are horrible slumpers, up and down all year every year. Will they ever mature into steady super stars or will they always let there heads get the best of them.

I think Corvo and Pitkanen are the future for us on defense. They should be held onto long term, There 2 of my favorite players to watch in the NHL and there both on our team!

I don't want to see any trades right now, our line up is solid and has the potential to go all the way but only if.................Staal scores more, and Ward plays above average.

And it would help if everybody started actually finishing some of there shots. everyone on our team is behind on there average offensive stats except Whitney and Ruutu, Corvo and Pitkanen.

There taking the shots, getting the chances, it just seems like there's a hex on us getting the puck across the goal line, I'm not sure trades would fix that.

Staal and Ward are horrible slumpers, up and down all year every year. Will they ever mature into steady super stars or will they always let there heads get the best of them.

I think Corvo and Pitkanen are the future for us on defense. They should be held onto long term, There 2 of my favorite players to watch in the NHL and there both on our team!

You can't be serious!!

The bottom line is that the 'Canes are in a tough spot right now - fighting for the last playoff spot (and probably will be for the rest of the year) without any realistic tradeable talent to help upgrade the team. It's a catch-22 - the players that would interest other teams are the players that we can't do without right now - they are the talent that will squeak us into the playoffs. To help this team, we need to ADD talent to what we have - any kind of trade would be simply that - an even trade-off. To improve this team we need to simply spend some money to get the talent. By the trade deadline this year we would have to throw in a disposable, unneeded player, or draft choices, or both and then kick in a load of cash to get what we need. This is a difficult choice because it's money wasted if we don't make the playoffs, or don't even go deep in the playoffs. The cup year, it was obvious that we could go deep and JR went for the two rental studs. If we choose to stay pat, and God forbid, miss the playoffs, then this summer will be very interesting indeed. You will see a MAJOR retooling of this team and every player will be on the table, except our two young hotshots (Mr. goalie and Mr. center).

And it would help if everbody started actually finishing some of there shots. everyone on our team is behind on there average offensive stats except Whitney and Ruutu, Corvo and Pitkanen.

There taking the shots, getting the chances, it just seems like theres a hex on us getting the puck across the goal line, I'm not sure trades would fix that.

ummmmmmmmmmmm..........did ward and/or staal blow you off for an autograph or something????

We don't need a top line winger, we have one. Why Ray Whitney is on the second line confuses me. He leads the team in points, and can open up the ice for the other players on his line. Samsonov should've been moved to the second/third line a long time ago. Samsonov rarely takes shots this year, when he does, it either leads to a rebound goal, or a faceoff beside the net. He can stick handle obviously, but he played really well with Brind'Amour last season. Whitney Staal Ruutu is a line I'd give a shot at. Whitney deserves more ice time, and is way underrated. Maybe Staal will consistently score goals for once if he had a playmaking winger instead of a dangler. If that doesn't work, go for someone that is a proved goal scorer, and someone that is relatively young and full of potential. We need younger forwards. I can't wait until next season, should Bowman and Boychuk make the roster. Think of a Bowman Sutter Boychuk line. It gets me excited.

We don't need a top line winger, we have one. Why Ray Whitney is on the second line confuses me. He leads the team in points, and can open up the ice for the other players on his line. Samsonov should've been moved to the second/third line a long time ago. Samsonov rarely takes shots this year, when he does, it either leads to a rebound goal, or a faceoff beside the net. He can stick handle obviously, but he played really well with Brind'Amour last season. Whitney Staal Ruutu is a line I'd give a shot at. Whitney deserves more ice time, and is way underrated. Maybe Staal will consistently score goals for once if he had a playmaking winger instead of a dangler. If that doesn't work, go for someone that is a proved goal scorer, and someone that is relatively young and full of potential. We need younger forwards. I can't wait until next season, should Bowman and Boychuk make the roster. Think of a Bowman Sutter Boychuk line. It gets me excited.

The only problem with a Whitney Staal Ruutu line, is if a team can shut that line down we may lose some games. Just look at Ottawa, they have no secondary scoring and are well below .500 Sure we do have other good scorers on this team as well but who knows they could go into a slump too, and that is where the Defense needs to pick up the slack in terms of scoring which they have done decently lately.

Actually this thread is supposed be about "actual" rumors that are out there in the media about the Canes and their players. Its not about wish lists, who fans would like to see traded or brought in or even arguments about past players and their contracts.

Any chance we can get this back on topic? As we get closer and closer to the trade deadline, more and more rumors are going to surface from various sources (other than our own minds). It would be nice if we could stick to the point of this thread and use it as a place to post all the rumors we read and hear from the internet, radio and random publications.

Thanks.

I see you gave up and just changed the title to the thread. We just don't have much to do right now but beat the dead horses.

TSA, you put up a nice fight, but, resistance is futile.

ummmmmmmmmmmm..........did ward and/or staal blow you off for an autograph or something????

Ward hasn't had a hot streak longer than 4 games in a row since he won the cup, .......that was 3 seasons ago. Up and down, great than bad. I beleive his best run since the cup was in december when he won 4 in a row, than what happened, he lost 5 in a row. not a suprise since thats what he's been doing for 3 strait seasons now. slumping and playing great.

Staal.......he scores 10 less points per year as he gets older. he had 100 plus our cup year, than 80 something next year, than 70 something the next year and now he'll be lucky to post 65 points this year. He scores a hat trick, than goes 7 games without a point, than scores 2goals and goes 6 games without a point. this has been his story since the cup run as well. oh and this year if not for the empty netters he probably wouldn't get 30 goals this year. both incredible players, unfortunately they only show it 50% of the time. I'm hoping maturity and age will lead these guys to consistent play, but I'm starting to worry its just not gonna happen with either one of them.

Man now that I think about it, I say we trade Staal and Ward.

Ha! don't cry just kidding, I love those guys when they play great 50% of the time.

I see you gave up and just changed the title to the thread. We just don't have much to do right now but beat the dead horses.

TSA, you put up a nice fight, but, resistance is futile.

Yes, I gave up. The dead horse beaters around here are relentless. <_<

Carry on...

Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

The only problem with a Whitney Staal Ruutu line, is if a team can shut that line down we may lose some games. Just look at Ottawa, they have no secondary scoring and are well below .500 Sure we do have other good scorers on this team as well but who knows they could go into a slump too, and that is where the Defense needs to pick up the slack in terms of scoring which they have done decently lately.

With Whitney Staal Ruutu, you have a Samsonov Brind'Amour Williams line. That has enough offense as well. We need to move a third line player for a more offensive guy, so we have more depth. Three scoring capable lines, then the fourth checking/energy line. After tonight, however, it makes me concerned that no matter who anyone is matched up with, they will not score. We need someone who will (not can, we have plenty players who can) score night in and night out. No one's going to score every game, but there are players that are up on the trading block that do score when a goal is needed. We don't have that. Offense in Carolina right now is not even a spark.

Ward hasn't had a hot streak longer than 4 games in a row since he won the cup, .......that was 3 seasons ago. Up and down, great than bad. I beleive his best run since the cup was in december when he won 4 in a row, than what happened, he lost 5 in a row. not a suprise since thats what he's been doing for 3 strait seasons now. slumping and playing great.

Staal.......he scores 10 less points per year as he gets older. he had 100 plus our cup year, than 80 something next year, than 70 something the next year and now he'll be lucky to post 65 points this year. He scores a hat trick, than goes 7 games without a point, than scores 2goals and goes 6 games without a point. this has been his story since the cup run as well. oh and this year if not for the empty netters he probably wouldn't get 30 goals this year. both incredible players, unfortunately they only show it 50% of the time. I'm hoping maturity and age will lead these guys to consistent play, but I'm starting to worry its just not gonna happen with either one of them.

Man now that I think about it, I say we trade Staal and Ward.

Ha! don't cry just kidding, I love those guys when they play great 50% of the time.

Well, Staal actually had 100 points, then 70, then 80...

But beyond that formality, everything you mention here is all too true. Consistency is, and has been, a major problem for this franchise since our Cup run.

Heard on XM that there was one team that expressed interest in Gerber but the Sens weren't interested because the team in question wanted to dump salary on them. Not saying it is, but could be the Canes trying to dump Kabs/Leighton. On a similar note, the Canes should pick up Chris Neil. From what I understand he'll bring lots of size and grit to the team. Thoughts?

Heard on XM that there was one team that expressed interest in Gerber but the Sens weren't interested because the team in question wanted to dump salary on them. Not saying it is, but could be the Canes trying to dump Kabs/Leighton. On a similar note, the Canes should pick up Chris Neil. From what I understand he'll bring lots of size and grit to the team. Thoughts?

Neil would bring size and grit and if we are looking for an enforcer I guess he would be as good as any other. His ability to score seems to have fallen off as he takes the role of tough guy. I would rather see a big tough winger that can dig the puck out along the board, make plays and score. We need goals more than we need fights.

Neil would bring size and grit and if we are looking for an enforcer I guess he would be as good as any other. His ability to score seems to have fallen off as he takes the role of tough guy. I would rather see a big tough winger that can dig the puck out along the board, make plays and score. We need goals more than we need fights.

Maybe our "goal scorers" are hesitant to go all out in fear of getting their head taken off