The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Trades, Rumors and Suggestions from the fans

Maybe our "goal scorers" are hesitant to go all out in fear of getting their head taken off

Won't disagree with you. I think we need a tough guy. I just prefer someone who has a better all around game. But as you point out Neil is probable available and might be the best option.

Maybe our "goal scorers" are hesitant to go all out in fear of getting their head taken off

Won't disagree with you. I think we need a tough guy. I just prefer someone who has a better all around game. But as you point out Neil is probable available and might be the best option.

If you are hesitant to play your best because you're scared of getting hit, then you need to find a new job. It's a part of the game, suck it up and play hard or don't play at all. I think the whole "Our best player hasn't been playing his best because he is scared of a big hit" is sad. It's a bad excuse, and if it's a true statement, then it's sad our best player is scared of big hits. We have Walker, Brookbank, and Gleason who aren't afraid of jumping on a guy for taking a big hit on a big player. We need someone who will score goals, and have more players around him score goals. Right now, we don't have that. We have players that can score goals, but only in random spurts.

Ward hasn't had a hot streak longer than 4 games in a row since he won the cup, .......that was 3 seasons ago. Up and down, great than bad. I beleive his best run since the cup was in december when he won 4 in a row, than what happened, he lost 5 in a row. not a suprise since thats what he's been doing for 3 strait seasons now. slumping and playing great.

Staal.......he scores 10 less points per year as he gets older. he had 100 plus our cup year, than 80 something next year, than 70 something the next year and now he'll be lucky to post 65 points this year. He scores a hat trick, than goes 7 games without a point, than scores 2goals and goes 6 games without a point. this has been his story since the cup run as well. oh and this year if not for the empty netters he probably wouldn't get 30 goals this year. both incredible players, unfortunately they only show it 50% of the time. I'm hoping maturity and age will lead these guys to consistent play, but I'm starting to worry its just not gonna happen with either one of them.

Man now that I think about it, I say we trade Staal and Ward.

Ha! don't cry just kidding, I love those guys when they play great 50% of the time.

i wonder if the same thing is said about lecavlier/ st. louis in tampa, or ilya k. in atlanta.I sure wouldnt mind having them on my team. They aint doing so hot either. If you wanna bank the future of this team on corvo and pitkanen(i like them, dont get me wrong)...try not to visit vegas much and i think it is most fortunate you dont have a front office job.

If you are hesitant to play your best because you're scared of getting hit, then you need to find a new job. It's a part of the game, suck it up and play hard or don't play at all. I think the whole "Our best player hasn't been playing his best because he is scared of a big hit" is sad. It's a bad excuse, and if it's a true statement, then it's sad our best player is scared of big hits. We have Walker, Brookbank, and Gleason who aren't afraid of jumping on a guy for taking a big hit on a big player. We need someone who will score goals, and have more players around him score goals. Right now, we don't have that. We have players that can score goals, but only in random spurts.

have you ever been hit like cullen last year or sutter this year? It has nothing to do with having players that will jump in after the fact, but everything to do with the other team realizing before anything takes place that there will be consequences. Other teams dont feel that way playing against the canes.

Heard on XM that there was one team that expressed interest in Gerber but the Sens weren't interested because the team in question wanted to dump salary on them. Not saying it is, but could be the Canes trying to dump Kabs/Leighton. On a similar note, the Canes should pick up Chris Neil. From what I understand he'll bring lots of size and grit to the team. Thoughts?

I heard it was Calgary who was interested in Gerber as a back up for Kipper.

I am just hoping that Boston feels sympathy towards the Hurricanes and decides that we need Tim Thomas and Chara more than they do.

On a realistic note though, I would like to see the canes get a legit goalie to help cam. Every year it seems that we get a new goalie to possibly "split time" with Cam, but they always end up being a disappointment. If we could get a two goalie tandem goin, like Minnesota did a few years ago, as well as the red wings, then I think it would help our team. I haven't heard Theodores name called in a while, where is he now? Raycroft maybe? Toskala? Nedimaki (sp?) Someone that I would be happy to get on our team, not just some goalie who every year I go "oh yeah, I have heard of him" (I am talking to you John Grahme.)

Realisitically, we have more pressing matters than a tandem goalie system though, but being a goalie myself it bothers me. Goalies do tend to determine how good a team plays, and the Hurricanes are no different. Mediocre play from Cam and Leighton result in mediocre play from the rest of the team. I am not saying they are the whole problem, but winning games starts in the crease.

I love you Tim Thomas.

I am just hoping that Boston feels sympathy towards the Hurricanes and decides that we need Tim Thomas and Chara more than they do.

On a realistic note though, I would like to see the canes get a legit goalie to help cam. Every year it seems that we get a new goalie to possibly "split time" with Cam, but they always end up being a disappointment. If we could get a two goalie tandem goin, like Minnesota did a few years ago, as well as the red wings, then I think it would help our team. I haven't heard Theodore's name called in a while, where is he now? Raycroft maybe? Toskala? Nedimaki (sp?) Someone that I would be happy to get on our team, not just some goalie who every year I go "oh yeah, I have heard of him" (I am talking to you John Grahme.)

Realistically, we have more pressing matters than a tandem goalie system though, but being a goalie myself it bothers me. Goalies do tend to determine how good a team plays, and the Hurricanes are no different. Mediocre play from Cam and Leighton result in mediocre play from the rest of the team. I am not saying they are the whole problem, but winning games starts in the crease.

I love you Tim Thomas.

"TheOpenDoor" plays for the crapitals.

On a realistic note though, I would like to see the canes get a legit goalie to help cam. Every year it seems that we get a new goalie to possibly "split time" with Cam, but they always end up being a disappointment. If we could get a two goalie tandem goin, like Minnesota did a few years ago, as well as the red wings, then I think it would help our team. I haven't heard Theodores name called in a while, where is he now? Raycroft maybe? Toskala? Nedimaki (sp?) Someone that I would be happy to get on our team, not just some goalie who every year I go "oh yeah, I have heard of him" (I am talking to you John Grahme.)

Realisitically, we have more pressing matters than a tandem goalie system though, but being a goalie myself it bothers me. Goalies do tend to determine how good a team plays, and the Hurricanes are no different. Mediocre play from Cam and Leighton result in mediocre play from the rest of the team. I am not saying they are the whole problem, but winning games starts in the crease.

I love you Tim Thomas.

... and don't forget about Niklas Backstrom (Minn. Wild), he's a great one and plays well in a defensive style system. Contract talks between the Wild organization and his agent are going pretty slow and could posiibly lead to a trade? I say send Leights (he can back up Josh Harding) to Minnesota, and send Backstrom here.. that would make for a great tandem of goaltenders right there!I really think Thomas is good, but he isn't going anywhere.. not after this season, the Bruins are playing cup contender hockey and Boston would want that for years to come.

Backstrom may be leaving Minnesota, but we'll have to give up more than Leighton to get him.

And either Thomas or Fernandez is leaving Boston. There's no point for Boston to be paying for both of them when 1 would suffice and the other could be traded off for good talent.

have you ever been hit like cullen last year or sutter this year? It has nothing to do with having players that will jump in after the fact, but everything to do with the other team realizing before anything takes place that there will be consequences. Other teams dont feel that way playing against the canes.

Yeah I have been hit playing hockey hard enough to knock me out. When I went to play for the first time since the hit, it was different, but the kinks and the subconscious paranoia goes away after a couple games. Cullen was hit last season and since coming back he's improved. He's a professional hockey player, he is expected to overcome these things. And why suggest we get another enforcer if it doesn't matter? It's a matter of time before someone gets a lengthy suspension from any team on a hit on any player in the league to remind players of the consequences. It's not just the Hurricanes that teams feel they can make dirty hits and get away with them.

Plus there are always consequences, and the players that make the hits are punished, if it is punishable. Why should we waste space on a roster with Scott Walker, Tim Gleason, Wade Brookbank when we need offense. We're good defensively, the goaltending is good, our offense is absent. We're lucky if we score more than two goals a game.

Thing is, we don't need more enforcers, we have enough. We need a consistent goal scorer. We need that one guy that we CAN rely on to score goals (Staal isn't that guy, not this year)

WHY NOT STAAL , I KNOW (CONTRACT)? MAYBE WE COULD GET A 25 GOAL SCORER FOR HIM. :angry: ANY TEAM THAT PLAYS CAROLINA KNOWS THAT TWO GOALS WILL GET THEM A WIN AND TWO POINTS 50% OF THE TIME AND AT THE VERY LEAST A POINT IN THE STANDING,,AND THREE GOALS IS ALMOST A CERTAIN WIN.

I would love to trade Staal and actually get a real superstar who is worth 7 or 8 million a year. Unless Staal decides to step up and play like everyone thinks he can.

I would love to trade Staal and actually get a real superstar who is worth 7 or 8 million a year. Unless Staal decides to step up and play like everyone thinks he can.

Staal is worth what he is being paid, some of you forget just how young he and Cam are. You expect Jagr skills on half the age. And do go Ovenkitchen, Malkin, et al. I think most of us would agree that once out of the womb the put skates on Russians and if you can stand up then it is off to hockey school.

For Staal to step up we need Brindy to step down.

It seems every time I wait in line right near The Eye there are a ton of people cutting the line from the box office side. I see more of it when it is cold outside. I too don't want to wait in the cold, but I am not just going to cut people in line because I am lazy or cold. I am doing the right thing by waiting in line like everyone should. Does anyone else notice this? I have said things to people when I see them cut the line. I usually say something like "I guess I should not wait in line like everyone else". I usually have a couple of the line cutters look at me, but no one else really says anything. The thing that really gets me is that the RBC employees don't do anything. Actually let me correct myself, they actually help the line cutters and hand them those little plastic bins to put their keys and cell phones in. The last time I went to a game I told the RBC employees they should not give those plastic bins to those line cutters. How does everyone else feel about this?

Backstrom may be leaving Minnesota, but we'll have to give up more than Leighton to get him.

And either Thomas or Fernandez is leaving Boston. There's no point for Boston to be paying for both of them when 1 would suffice and the other could be traded off for good talent.

Hey, I'd take Fernandez anyday! Yeah,and you're right about the Backstrom deal.. but he'd be worth aquiring.

It seems every time I wait in line right near The Eye there are a ton of people cutting the line from the box office side. I see more of it when it is cold outside. I too don't want to wait in the cold, but I am not just going to cut people in line because I am lazy or cold. I am doing the right thing by waiting in line like everyone should. Does anyone else notice this? I have said things to people when I see them cut the line. I usually say something like "I guess I should not wait in line like everyone else". I usually have a couple of the line cutters look at me, but no one else really says anything. The thing that really gets me is that the RBC employees don't do anything. Actually let me correct myself, they actually help the line cutters and hand them those little plastic bins to put their keys and cell phones in. The last time I went to a game I told the RBC employees they should not give those plastic bins to those line cutters. How does everyone else feel about this?

I feel like this has already been discussed so why bring it up again.

I feel like this has already been discussed so why bring it up again.

Actually, next time it happens call the whine line at The Fan 99.9 FM. It's tough dealing with cutters, especially on giveawway nights. Hang there!

it is like this, you can either fight the person and cause a ruckus which will most likely get you thrown out or just deal with it. Life is full of classless people, just make sure you are not one of them. There is a member of this board that is bad about cutting in line, she will look for someone she knows that is further up in line than she is and just stay there. She is one of those high maintenance trophy types that thinks she is owed that but we just chuckle at her and press on. We call her "Trophy Gal" amongst other names that can't be posted here.

...Life is full of classless people, just make sure you are not one of them.

Yeah...that was a classy post... :rolleyes:

I heard Rutherford and Karamonos were being traded for Edward James Olmos and Mickey Rourke...

From TFP: http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/car081130.html''>http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/car081130.html' target="_blank">http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/car081130.html[/post]

I can see Eaves and Kaberle, but Corvo? That would be a HUGE mistake, I think. If we are looking to shed defensemen, Bab's or Mel, or both, should go!!! I know they Bab's has picked up his game but I am still not impressed with him.

Thoughts? :huh:

The Fourth Period reports that the Nashville Predators have Dan Hamhuis on the trade block and they want a top-six forward in return.

The Predators are second-last in the NHL in goals-scored, and their highest point-getter is JP Dumont with 34 in 46 games.

Hamhuis is making $2 million this year and next, and can become an unrestricted free agent after the 2009-10 season.

According to several published reports, the Predators are looking to deal Hamhuis for an offensive-minded forward to play on one of their top-two lines.

Think they'd be interested in Whitney? Although it would probably take a little more on our end, I'd love to see Hamhuis in a Hurricanes' jersey.