The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
whalers66

Would you want avery on this team???

You know what, this team is not going anywhere with or without Avery, so why not get him, at least life will be entertaining until April 12. If he does well, trade him in the summer and get some tangible return for him.

However, I don't see this happening. Someone recently mentioned the commitment of the org to family values

when sean avery re enters the league he must go through waivers first. that means ANY team below the rangers can claim him. i know the guy is nuts, but i think its just what this team needs!!!! do we want this guy or do you think its too risky?? well its never gonna happen cause were too cheap but do you think someone will claim him before the rangers get him??

No! The guy is a jerk and a cancer in the locker room.

I have two worries about Avery:

#1 His attitude and the potential problems it creates

#2 The size of his contract

That being said I am starting to think that picking him up off re-entry waivers wouldn't be a bad idea despite his issues. He has to realize this would be his last shot, which should at least keep him on his best behavior for the rest of the year. Plus it keeps him off the Rangers, who will get better with him. Who knows he could be the kind of shot in the arm the team needs.

Additionally, it does add to the whole canes as "the Island of Misfit Toys" meme.

Under no circumstances would I want this guy anywhere near this team for any length of time; having him in the building on the away team is even too much. It has nothing to do with the "family atmosphere" and everything to do with him being an instigator that doesn't back up what he says. He puts his teammates in danger on the ice and alienates them off the ice. Hockey didn't miss him when he was suspended so as far as I am concerned he could stay away from the sport forever and it wouldn't be that much of a loss.

Anybody willing to take a chance on this guy is crazy. His picture should be in the dictionary next to "locker room cancer." He's proven it how many times now?

NO..period.

And I 100% GUARANTEE - let me repeat that, I 100% guarantee that it will not happen. The Canes are far to classy to bring this scumbag into the fold.

when sean avery re enters the league he must go through waivers first. that means ANY team below the rangers can claim him. i know the guy is nuts, but i think its just what this team needs!!!! do we want this guy or do you think its too risky?? well its never gonna happen cause were too cheap but do you think someone will claim him before the rangers get him??

How many times do we have to have this discussion? And couldn't it have gone into the rumor/wishes thread?? Not gonna happen...

NO..period.

And I 100% GUARANTEE - let me repeat that, I 100% guarantee that it will not happen. The Canes are far to classy to bring this scumbag into the fold.

I wouldn't be so sure. If JR is being cheap and can't make a move to solidify the team at the deadline, taking a chance on Avery could work. It could also effectively blow the team up. But either way I doubt the team would finish 9th with him on the roster.

Oh come on,,we are Canes fans, we love everyone! He just might need a big bag of "RAINBOWS & LOLLIPOPS" from us wonderful Hurricane fans. Come on open your arms and give Mr. Avery a nice big Hurricane Huggy!!!! :P

NO..period.

And that has done us so much good on the ice. We are a bunch of pansies out there and everyone pushes us around on the ice! Just like when Zdeno Charro got in Larose's face noone did anything. Watching all the other teams play, we are definitely the softest of them all.

True we need more grit, but Avery is not the answer we wont someone tough but not some one who looses their head over every small thing

And that has done us so much good on the ice. We are a bunch of pansies out there and everyone pushes us around on the ice! Just like when Zdeno Charro got in Larose's face noone did anything. Watching all the other teams play, we are definitely the softest of them all.

The thing is Avery is not an enforcer. He is a irritant, like LaRose used to be dialed up 10 notches and on steroids. When it comes time to fight he is not there, he is hiding behind the biggest guy on his team continuing to trash talk the opponent. Now if the other guy gets in the hold of a ref, he will take a blatant cheap shot (Andrew Ladd). Just get the other guys more irritated and want to take shots at our guys. I'm all for shaking things up, but this would be shaking a bit too hard. Not that JR doesn't love to grab guys off waivers.

Avery wouldn't change that. Are you under the impression that he is a tough guy or something? He is not. He runs or turtles when anybody bigger than him comes calling.

Avery wouldn't change that. Are you under the impression that he is a tough guy or something? He is not. He runs or turtles when anybody bigger than him comes calling.

No he is someone that gets under the skin of people and gets them out of there game. He does throw hits and a cheap shot here and there. Take for instance last year when before the puck dropped Walker and him threw down. He got under Scotty skin the game before the All Star break when they beat us 4-2. He could very well be something we could use. His attitude will be different since he is on a leash by the NHL and NHLPA.

No he is someone that gets under the skin of people and gets them out of there game. He does throw hits and a cheap shot here and there. Take for instance last year when before the puck dropped Walker and him threw down. He got under Scotty skin the game before the All Star break when they beat us 4-2. He could very well be something we could use. His attitude will be different since he is on a leash by the NHL and NHLPA.

A cheap shot artist. Yeah, that's what we need. And if his attitude is different because he's on a short leash then he wouldn't really be the Sean Avery you want anyway so why bother?

Interesting column from the Daily News: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/2009/03/01/2009-03-01_sean_avery_redux_may_only_be_trouble_for.html' target="_blank">Click It![/post]

A cheap shot artist. Yeah, that's what we need. And if his attitude is different because he's on a short leash then he wouldn't really be the Sean Avery you want anyway so why bother?

Interesting column from the Daily News: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/2009/03/01/2009-03-01_sean_avery_redux_may_only_be_trouble_for.html' target="_blank">Click It![/post]

Oh yea because what we have going on right now is working SOOOO well........Way to have that JR mentality!!!

Oh yea because what we have going on right now is working SOOOO well........Way to have that JR mentality!!!

Avery ain't the answer. Plain and simple. He would never fit in with this locker room and if he can't fit in with the locker room he can't help on the ice. And besides that he's not a defenseman and that's where our true needs lie.

Any chemistry this team has would be ruined by having a guy like Avery in the room. Yes we do need to get tougher, but that is not the way to do it. He isn't tough; he makes others fight for him. He doesn't push buttons; he crosses lines. He is a cheap shot guy that would create more problems than he solves by getting into situations that required help from his teammates who, as everyone knows, aren't exactly that well equipped to handle a lot of fights.

Any chemistry this team has would be ruined by having a guy like Avery in the room. Yes we do need to get tougher, but that is not the way to do it. He isn't tough; he makes others fight for him. He doesn't push buttons; he crosses lines. He is a cheap shot guy that would create more problems than he solves by getting into situations that required help from his teammates who, as everyone knows, aren't exactly that well equipped to handle a lot of fights.

Chemistry? What chemistry? Only chemistry I've seen is when Brind'amour is out with an injury. Maybe Avery is exactly what we need. Intensity could help and with the right locker room presence - he can be controlled.