The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
whalers66

Would you want avery on this team???

Avery was placed on re-entry waivers this afternoon. Here some interesting facts:

Avery's stint on re-entry waivers will last 24 hours and every team has the opportunity to put in a claim. If there are multiple claims, the team with the fewest points in the standings on the day of the claim would be awarded the player.

Under the terms of re-entry waivers in the collective bargaining agreement, the claiming team would be responsible for half of Avery's remaining salary -- for this season, and the final three years of the four-year, $15.5 million deal he signed this summer as an unrestricted free agent. The Stars would assume the rest of Avery's financial liability.

He had 2 goals and 1 assist in six games with Hartford and 3 goals, 7 assists and what was then a League-high 77 penalty minutes in his 23 appearances with the Stars before his suspension.

Avery never meshed with his new teammates in Dallas and the team struggled mightily before his suspension, only to come on strong during his exile to get back in the Western Conference playoff picture.

In 86 games, spread across two seasons in New York, Avery had 23 goals, 30 assists and 154 penalty minutes.

It had been speculated that New York's eagerness to claim Avery would dim when the club hired John Tortorella last week as coach. Torts was serving as a television commentator this season before being hired by the Rangers and was critical of Avery's behavior this season.

Chemistry? What chemistry? Only chemistry I've seen is when Brind'amour is out with an injury. Maybe Avery is exactly what we need. Intensity could help and with the right locker room presence - he can be controlled.

I disagree with you about the chemistry thing (we don't know what goes on in that room before and after games), but that's a different topic. He does bring intensity, but IMO it's the wrong kind of intensity. He has proven time and time again to be a problem no matter who is in the room with him. Plus you shouldn't have to "control," which to me translates into "baby-sit", a grown man who is supposedly a professional. Bottom line, I just don't think whatever it is he brings to a team is worth the trouble that he also brings.

I disagree with you about the chemistry thing (we don't know what goes on in that room before and after games), but that's a different topic. He does bring intensity, but IMO it's the wrong kind of intensity. He has proven time and time again to be a problem no matter who is in the room with him. Plus you shouldn't have to "control," which to me translates into "baby-sit", a grown man who is supposedly a professional. Bottom line, I just don't think whatever it is he brings to a team is worth the trouble that he also brings.

You right he has brought the wrong kind of intensity in the past. Every player has to be controlled to some extent. You have to control the negative and positive energy. That is the coach and selective players job. However, everyone makes mistakes and I'm sure Avery is a real jerk but he is also someone who loves the game. I don't think if they picked him up quickly that he will have learned a lesson. However if given enough time he could admit his faults and learn from it. You are right he is a grown man but sometimes people can make adjustments if they are in the right enviroment. I could be wrong with Avery. Its happened in the past with several players in all sports. Not saying Avery can do it but we need someone who can bring intensity and Avery might be able to channel that in the direction we need. Just a thought

The rangers will pick him up. They will go on a tear and make the playoffs easily. ALL will be forgiven for Mr. Avery. Isn't that how American sports works. Winning is everything and forget all the rest? Here's a question for you all...You can see into the future. Canes pick up Avery. We win the Stanley Cup with him. Would you still pick him up?

I think Avery is a toad. However, I won't burn my tickets if he hits the ice in a Canes jersey. I don't see it happening, but one never knows. I would anticipate a smack down between Avery and Walker in practice, tho.

But, I've said this before: should JR EVER trade for Todd Bertuzzi, I will go to the box office the next day and turn in my tickets, at a total loss. And lose my account standing.

NO..period.

And I 100% GUARANTEE - let me repeat that, I 100% guarantee that it will not happen. The Canes are far to classy to bring this scumbag into the fold.

Conboy bit a guy. Real classy. Not that I don't like Conboy...just sayin'.

Every message board of every team below the Rangers in the standings probably has a thread on this, all rehashing the same arguments:

For: Avery has learned his lesson, this might be his last chance, he brings toughness and grit (which you can never have enough of), and he has some talent.

Against: He'll destroy the team, his antics are a distraction, his contract is too big for too long and includes a no trade clause (whoever claims him will be on the hook for the full 4 mils next season and the two after that*), and he's just not the kind of player this team needs.

I think most people are firmly in one camp or the other and are not swayed by the other side's arguments.

What I want to know is, what happens if no one claims him? He's back on the Dallas roster, and then what? Would he have to stay up for a certain amount of time before they could send him back down?

*Actually, I'm not sure how that would work.

ok .... if the team has defense.. that can get the puck out of the zone.... they will have offensive chances to put the puck in the net.... they have the offensive means to do that... it IS only a defensive fault that puts this team where it is... being someone who use to play d on a hockey team... def not in the nhl or anywhere near... its still your fault for letting a guy by u with the puck... and knowing to take the guy without the puck on a 2 on 1(which you probably learn when you're 6).... and as for someone who is actually gettin paid for this job... it is greatly disturbing....i don't know how you guys feel but i would take a slap shot in the face before a game if i knew thats what it take to win... sure it would be a one time deal... but i'd def do it....esp. with enough CANIAC spirit... staal i think does play with heart... when he wants too... which is why he gets his hat tricks in random games... the man can score when he wants to when the heart is there..i dunno, i think eaves is on his way there i think too... as for bayda who proved himself last year, i think has gotten too comfy...and don't give up on brindy....i know he's still got it.

Conboy bit a guy. Real classy. Not that I don't like Conboy...just sayin'.

Conboy bit a guy once. Avery is a jerk all the time. Honestly, I can't believe anybody would want him on their team. I am truly stunned.

Seriously...are we really having this discussion?

If we signed him, I'd be counting down the days until he makes an idiot of himself at a presser. Maybe he'll have something to say about Ovie's girlfriend during our next trip to DC?

I'd rather have another lockout-cancelled season than see Avery as a 'Cane.

Avery will be on such a tight leash that any questionable move or comment he makes will be punished. Since his game is that of a pest he most likely won't be able to play that roll to the fullest. He most likely won't be as effective as he may have been in the past. He is an average player.

And for the person who said "Conboy bit someone once" well Conboy has been suspended in the AHL numerous times. A few weeks ago he continued to pound on a 160lbs 5'5 player while the officials had the guy pinned. Sounds like a real class act to me.

Avery is on a very short leash from Bettman and as result is less like to produce the same amount or type of shenanigans that has made him famous. It's pretty insane to believe "this" is what our team needs. I am shocked it's even up for a matter of debate. Carolina does not need this. After an consistent season and a disappointing loss to teams like ATL, as well as other games at the most important times it would be hard not to assume the locker room attitude is pretty fragile right now. A guy like Avery could be the one to snap the thread then we are on the hook his mondo contract (though not all of it).

While he maybe a very entertaining player, he's not a very good one. And certainly one we don't need.

In no way would I want Avery on this team, but it is interesting that the Rangers took him back.

Well, he worked out pretty well for them. I guess we're not the only team in the league that likes to recycle old players...

The rangers will pick him up. They will go on a tear and make the playoffs easily. ALL will be forgiven for Mr. Avery. Isn't that how American sports works. Winning is everything and forget all the rest? Here's a question for you all...You can see into the future. Canes pick up Avery. We win the Stanley Cup with him. Would you still pick him up?

It's coming true :P

we could use more aggressive players so yes Avery would be a welcome addition only for his presence and pest-factor. its about winning games by any means, not popularity contests

Are the Rangers really TRYING to complete their self-destruction?

1) Go on slide

2) Replace current coach with Torts

3) Acquire Avery

They'll be announcing their plans to trade Lundquist to the Islanders for a bag of pucks any day now.