The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cwjohnson23

Cole For Pitkanen - per TSN

Reported by the N&O today: ( 7/2)

Pitkanen is a restricted free agent, and while the Canes can match any offer, he's still open to approaches from other teams

Uhh...We let Cole go for a loose end? :blink:

Is this indeed right?

It is. Hopefully JR talked with him before the trade and felt him out. Otherwise, I would say we are in trouble. There are talks of him wanting 4-5 million per. Lets hope thats not true.

He's an RFA, like Seidenberg and LaRose. That means that other teams can give him offers, but we can match them and have the contract automatically transfer to us. My guess is that none of them get offers. The only RFA in the league to get an offer so far is David Backes and that was matched by the Blues.

I'm worried about some other team offering him money and us having to match. Money is a problem for us. We have the 3rd lowest payroll in the NHL. One of the reasons we traded Cole was money. Overpaying for this guy is NOT something we can do. Its already rumored he wants upwards of 4 million per season... lets hope those are E1 rumors to use Eklund's vocabulary. With the dollar amounts going around with other teams yesterday, its conceivable some other team could offer him an amount we can't afford. The result - we lose Pitkanen AND Cole. Not something I'd like to happen. The sooner we get him signed, the less likely that is to happen.

An Edmonton Journal blogger posted some comments very favorable about Cole and how good he'd be for the Oilers, but also said the following about Pitkanen, which may be encouraging to some who are feeling down:

Now, for me, losing Pitkanen is a tough one. Few players, let alone NHL defenceman, can skate like Pitkanen. I mean, when he jumped into the rush, things happened, even if he didn't pile up tonnes of points. And he rarely got caught up ice; his speed made risk-taking not so risky.

Opponents had to respect his speed, his shot and his ability to find the open man.

But Pitkanen, seen as a soft introvert who didn't fit into the vaunted Oilers tight locker room, became reduntant on a team with Visnovsky, Tom Gilbert and Sheldon Souray, one that has Taylor Chorney on the way.

The Oilers may miss Pitkanen more than they know right now. He's only 24, after all, with massive potential.

It's not that we're surprised Cole was traded. Everyone and their grandmother knew Cole was being traded. It's the return we got for Cole that's the problem.

First of all, this team needed a shutdown, stay-at-home defenseman before we needed another offensive guy. Minnesota just grabbed Zidlicky from Nashville, another name we were supposedly in the works with. You know what they gave up for him? A 2nd round pick and a prospect. Zidlicky's slighty worse offensively than Joni, a lot better defensively, and doesn't have the motivational problem that Joni does. If all it took was a 2nd round and a prospect to grab him, we could have gotten Zidlicky+ if we traded Cole.

Nashville wanted to cut payroll, they wouldnt have taken on coles salary and we have limited to no prospects to trade

If he gets another offer that we can't match, I think we automatically get a 1st round draft pick for him and possibly some more draft picks based on how much he'd make...doubt it happens though unless someone wants to give him some ridiculous sum.

Dont think we need another thread for this. Merging with the original.

WOW I didn't think Cole would be traded. I thought we would have got more for him. He will definitely be missed I wish him & his family the best. I'm not going to throw Pitkanen under the bus & judge him to quickly. I'll take a wait & see attitude with him just as I did with Samanov (sp) & Ruutu.

After reading all of the posts here, and looking at the Oilers forum, I'd say it's about equal. Everybody thinks their side got hosed. Win-win or lose-lose, you make the call.

As the biggest Cole fan (as you all know), I hate to see Cole go, but I like getting Pitkanen. I prepared myself for like 2 months and it still doesn't make it any easier that Cole is now gone. But I think it was a move that was needed by the Org and Cole. I have no doubt in my mind that Cole will get back to his 05-06 form, I'm just not sold he would have done it here. I think Cole moving away from the place that almost ended his career will be a good step going forward for his career. He can essentially put that time of his life behind him now. I wish Cole the best of luck in Edmonton and he will always be a Hurricane in my eyes.

As for Pitkanen, I welcome him aboard. He has his issues with inconsistancy but hopefully this team can change that around for him. We resurrected Samsonov and Ruutu seems to be on the right path as well. Pitkanen seems very excited about coming here, not to mention, he's excited about getting to play with his buddy Ruutu. Pitkanen will make our PP better and he'll beable to get the puck out of our zone. How many times did we have a hard time clearing the puck and end up getting scored on last year. Too many by my account. He will help with that as well as manning the point on the PP. So now we can ditch that 5 forward junk.

Besdies, I think KLowe never intended to sign Pitkanen. I think he just borrowed Pitkanen so he could get Cole. Cole made a comment about how he gives KLowe alot of credit b/c he knew JR wanted Pitkanen so he went and got him, then turned around and got the guy he wanted (Cole). Makes sense if you think about it. Pitkanen would have cost them less than Vishnovsky (or whatever is name is). Its no secret that KLowe loves Cole, he's all he talked about in the finals and its no secret that JR loves Pitkanen.

Good Luck Colesy, we'll miss you here in Carolina, but you will always have a place here in Caniac Land.

I doubt we see an offer that we wouldn't match. I have to think that If someone throws him a 4.5mil offer, we would stretch out and reach it, anything else and we get some decent picks in return

The current expected RFA compensation table for 2008-09 is:

Amount

Compensation Due

$863,156 or less - None

$863,156 - $1,307,811 - 3rd round pick

$1,307,811 - $2,615,623 - 2nd round pick

$2,615,623 - $3,923,434 - 1st and 3rd round pick

$3,923,434 - $5,231,246 - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick

$5,231,246 - $6,539,061 - Two 1st's, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick

$6,539,061 or more - Four 1st round picks

Living in the Philly area, I've had an opportunity to see a lot of Pitkanen over the years. He's an outright lousy defenseman, totally underachieving his level of promise. He's very soft defensively and has been getting hurt quite a bit in recent times. While I think Cole had done as much for us as he ever was going to and have no problem with seeing him dealt, I think Pitkanen was a lousy trade option.

Chalk this up as another in a string of bad GM moves over the last 2 yrs of player movement which began with the John Graham signing.

-Ryan

I am starting to get excited about this one. Obviously, my first reaction was a solemn one bc we had to trade Cole... but after digesting this a bit I think this will work out well for both teams. Pitkanen a big guy who can score. One of his criticisms is that he isn't a team guy. From what I can gather he didn't fit well with previous teams because he is introverted, possibly because of language barriers. Having a friend in Ruutu who speaks your native tongue (both Finnish right?) could help that. Second of all, as JR stated, the guy was a first round draft pick and as a result people have been hard on him. If he had been taken in say the 2nd or 3rd round, I think everyone would be singing his praises. We also ended up getting a younger defense this year. Pitkanen is at the point in his career where he will be maturing. JR is starting to plan for the future IMO and this is a good pickup.

I love how people are saying that we'll get picks if someone gives pitkanen an offer sheet we can't match. Wow those picks are gonna be freakin awesome this season, and next season I bet they'll do even better. Complete sarcasm right there if you didn't know. This is the only reason I don't like this trade, there still is the possibility that Pitkanen might not be in a 'Canes jersey come October. I bet he only signs a one year deal like his friend Ruutu and if they both put up big years I wouldn't doubt it if both of them are gone after the season.

I've waited a while to formulate my opinions on this deal, and in the end I think it makes a lot of sense both from a business perspective and a hockey perspective. Maybe not from an emotional one, but you cannot make professional decisions based on emotions and remain employed.

We gave away a heart and soul guy, but a heart and soul guy who very well could have played the best hockey he's ever going to play. Considering his style of play and his injury history, I think the odds are good that Eric Cole has peaked and will likely not get much better. There just aren't many examples in the league of guys playing his style of hockey and improving year over year into their early 30s. Also, by not trading him, you run the risk of losing him next summer and getting nothing in return.

In Pitkanen, we gain a player who has very likely not yet played his best hockey. D-men mature slower than forwards, and he's still young for a Dman. You don't get young, offensively gifted DMen with upside in this league for free. They come at a premium, and we of all teams should understand why after watching the Canes for the first half of last season. It was no coincident that everything seemed to move better and flow easier once Joe Corvo was plugged into the line up.

And finally, look at what we're paying players and what they bring to the table, and you can see that across the board, JR makes many more good decisions than bad. Yes, Wallin and Kaberle's contracts aren't the best, but we've got a number of great values on the team as far as contracts go, Williams, Corvo, Ward, and Staal in particular. Did you guys see where Mike Commodore signed a 5 year, 18.75M contract yesterday? I'm happy for the guy and all, but no way do I want my team committed to him for 5 years at nearly $4M/year. Whatever Pitkanen signs for, please view it the context of the market making Mike Commodore a nearly $4M/year player.

As I read this thread and mull this over more, I am more and more convinced that this is a good move.

We will sign Pitkanen. Write it down. I know that the Hordichuk thing may make people nervous, but this is an entirely different situation. This is more like signing Gleason. No way does JR let Pitkanin get away. No way. He's been trying to make this move for a long time and it will happen.

Having 2 legitimate puck-movers will work wonders for Lavi's style of hockey, and it will be very fun to watch Pitkanen and Corvo move the puck up ice to our still incredibly talented forwards. Also, I've been saying for a while and firmly beleive that in keeping Lavi we needed to add even more new blood. New players were a big part of our resurection at the end of last year. This continues that trend.

Pitkanen is already a legitimate top tier offensive defenseman based on his numbers, and the consensus is that he will improve those numbers even more as defenseman "take longer" to mature. But even if he just maintains his career numbers: he is averaging .52 points per game. That is huge for a defenseman. If he had played 80 games this year, that career average would put him at 42 points this year. That would be #17 in the league for dmen. There are 30 teams in the league. And he could get better?

Finally as an aside, I am glad that we kept Whitney. We have a couple of guys who have great potential (Eaves, Ruutu). We have a guy who looked awsome in a short run but has had problems for long stretches (Samsonov), and a couple of guys coming off major injuries (Brindy, Williams, Cullen). It is good to have a guy who is a proven near-elite scorer who puts up the points reliably year after year. I predict that Whitney will be our #2 scorer next year, right behind Staal.

I will miss Cole, but JR made our team significantly better. Add a shutdown dman, give Kaberle and Wallin a bit of competion and sit them if necessary, and let Lavi run with this new team and it looks pretty good to me. Just need Cam to gain a tad more consistancy and we are off to the races.

www.edmontonoilers.com ;)

p3536225nm.jpg

Thanks for the website link even though I know it and I'm sure the other poster did too. I will always be a Caniac and will cheer them on to the stanley cup finals, but I'll also follow Cole and I hope he gets back to the player he was becoming before his injury and show everyone that they're wrong. I'm doubtful that will happen but one can hope and that's what I'll do. At least he went to a team that I don't dispise. Now that would have been horrible. Thank Goodness for Center Ice. don't think I'd go as far as selling my season tickets because Cole wasn't the team and I don't think he'd want anyone to do that. Support your team 100%! Welcome the new players and hope they live up to their expectations. That's what a true fan does. This coming from someone who has litterally been in a state of depression since the news yesterday. Caniac till I die! Cole follower till I die! See I can have my cake and the icing too. :P

I've been reading the Oilers message boards, and they are saying Cole hated carolina and has an attitude problem..... <_< Some called him a whiner..... :blink: