The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Has Not Using Leighton Hurt Us?

There is no bigger fan of Leighton than me. I started last year when he was called up for a brief time and at the time I couldn't figure out why they sent him back down and called back Grahame. I wish he did start more but having said that, Cam just doesn't have any defense in front of him. When your team is giving up quality shot after quality shot, its just hard to turn them all away. I do wish Leighton would start more but I think Cam for the most part has done all he can do and has done a pretty good job considering whats in front of him.

No.

I think it might be a good thing in the long run that Cam finally has a coach willing to press him into the rigors of being a starter. If he gets pulled because of his own mistakes that is one thing but often it's also a result of the D or the rest of the team needing a serious wakeup call to play better. A lot of times teams do respond with better play all around which also benefits the backup goalie. So just because the backup gives up less goals on more shots doesn't neccessarily mean he is a better goalie and more deserving.

Another thing is how the team responds to a goalie in general. Cam made some stellar saves during the CUP run which inspired the team's play and the coache's confidence. If it wouldn't have been for that I'm sure Lavi had all intentions to ride Gerber the rest of the way. On the other hand you got Cracker who wasn't really spectacular and was fixated to play every puck he got his stick on up ice, even when the guys were gased, not ready or during shift changes. I think thats one reason the guys never played that good in front of him.

That said, I think Leighton is a capable goalie and I would have used him on all back to back nights.

Leighton is a career AHLer. What has hurt the Canes is to yet again ignore the need for a proven number 2 goaltender. But I guess not addressing the most important position on the ice is not really important now is it.

No.

You have to assess whether the bad night was solely the goalie's fault or whether it was the result of a poor defense in front of him. As a coach, the easiest thing to do would be to start the backup the next night, but that doesn't always hold the right person (or people) accountable for the problem. The games cited had a lot to do with the defense in front of Cam and by parking him on the bench I think you're sending the wrong message to both him and the rest of the team. Plus in order to be a number one goalie, you have to know that some nights you are going to get shelled but still have to maintain the confidence to go out there the next game and play to win. Having one bad night and then getting sat the next game doesn't do that.

With that being said, I think if at any point in the past three seasons, we had a really reliable number two guy (nothing against Leighton or Grahame-well maybe a little against Grahame) I think you would see a more even distribution of starts following bad games and more room for Cam to rest during the season.

Yes, we do need a great goalie pair, but Cam is just not a good enough goalie to start 17 in a row...even if we had to use an AHL goalie in stead of leighton, we needed to give some breaks

Like all players starting in the NHL, Leighton needs his time on the ice to get better. You sit a guy this long and you are doing nothing but wearing your starter out and ruining his career.

If we are not going to play him, trade him. Once he gets to playing we will wish we had him back!

There is no bigger fan of Leighton than me. I started last year when he was called up for a brief time and at the time I couldn't figure out why they sent him back down and called back Grahame. I wish he did start more but having said that, Cam just doesn't have any defense in front of him. When your team is giving up quality shot after quality shot, its just hard to turn them all away. I do wish Leighton would start more but I think Cam for the most part has done all he can do and has done a pretty good job considering whats in front of him.

I to am a fan of Leighton. I liked what I saw when he played for the Rats. He had very good numbers. Sure he is getting practice every day. But I would tend to think that real game experience is what you need to grow...

Against Tampa 3-7 I think they should have put Leighton in the 3rd. I think this would have done a couple of things.

1) Rested Ward for monday night, against Rangers

2) Given Leighton some work.

3) Maybe the team would have stayed alittle more focused in front of Leighton not allowed those two last goals, and may have even got ourselves another goal or two.

I agree, obxcaneadian. I guess it's outside the ordinary in the NHL to bring in a backup for mop up duty, but I still thought they should do it, for all the reasons you listed.

Otherwise, to the overall topic, it would be nice if we could use Leighton more, but I don't think it has really hurt us. Cam played his best last year after the All-Star game, when he started every game. His biggest problem right now seems to be focus at the start of the game, and I don't see how less time helps improve that. He is not showing signs of being tired.

I'm a big believer in playing the guys who don't get to play when you have the chance. Leighton should have played the third period last night if nothing else. We may need him and you want to know he is sharp.

I don't think it has hurt us so far, but based on the Sharks game, I thought he'd get a few more chances.