The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Koenigsegg83

Canes GM Lacking Hockey Sense?

He will produce in carolina our coach actually knows how to use him RIGHT(wing :D) . You are a little late on the O'sullivan thing there buddy us canes fans have allready discussed about why Patrick isnt playing here and why he probably wouldnt. Cole fits into carolina and 100% more comfortable playing here than up in Edmonton.

Couple things wrong with your logic:

1. Erik has never had a concussion in his career. I have no idea where you're getting that from.

2. You claim to follow hockey, but you completely ignore O'Sullivan's history in North Carolina. Look that up if you want a reason why he couldn't play here.

And finally:

3. You said it yourself that Cole was being misused in Edmonton. In fact, that's the general accepted statement around the league. So why would compare a player that's being misused with a player that's been on the same line, with the same players for the entire year?

And if the rumors are true, Edmonton's going to try and have O'Sullivan play winger on the top line. You would have thought Cole would have taught them not to play players out of their natural position.

Couple things wrong with your logic:

1. Erik has never had a concussion in his career. I have no idea where you're getting that from.

2. You claim to follow hockey, but you completely ignore O'Sullivan's history in North Carolina. Look that up if you want a reason why he couldn't play here.

And finally:

3. You said it yourself that Cole was being misused in Edmonton. In fact, that's the general accepted statement around the league. So why would compare a player that's being misused with a player that's been on the same line, with the same players for the entire year?

And if the rumors are true, Edmonton's going to try and have O'Sullivan play winger on the top line. You would have thought Cole would have taught them not to play players out of their natural position.

I agree with all the points you made. No edmonton probably wont learn from their mistakes and they will probably keep putting players in positions where they dont belong.

It'll be hard for Cole to regain his old form plus replace any production that Justin Williams could of produced.

I will take this statement out of your whole writeup as to why this trade went down:

1-Williams has played like 50 games in 2 years. He has torn his ACL/MCL twice, tore his achilles and now has a broken hand.

2-Cole can help now, Williams is done for the season.

3-Salary dump. Williams is under contract for the next 2 years at $3.5M per. This sheds $7M off the books.

4-If Cole doesn't work out, no harm no fail. He's a Free Agent, we aren't entitled to keep him. We now have an extra $7M to play with come July 1st.

Cole won't have pressure to replace Williams' production cause well we haven't gotten production out of Williams as he's been injured. He won't disrupt team chemistry as he knows the area, the players and the coaches. He knows the system. He spent his whole career here, he's comfortable here.

Now with all that said, I don't think Cole gets this team to the playoffs. There are more addressing needs that need to be done, but those needs couldn't be addressed on deadline day. Its more Free Agent offseason moves that need to be done. However, the main part is shedding $7M in salary, that's pretty much all it comes down to.

Wow, that certainly took some time to write. My answer is simple...

Sorry Pitkanen and Cole didn't work out for your team.

Oh, and what Icefrog said ;)

Thanks for you thoughts and opinions, some HERE will ALWAYS find problems with others opinions. :rolleyes: That being said, its nice to get someone else's fans input into what alot of us wonder about ourselves.( Who knows why GM's do what they do)

Guess we will all see how this works out for both teams,,,maybe,,, just maybe these guys know what they are doing after all!! ;)

Cole is an upstate NYer, meaning he is a great guy and I am not surprised about the cigs and gas.

It is not the return of Cole that is debated, it is this organizations failure to ever move forward.

While O'Sullivan may turn out to be a great player, your Sakic to Hemsky analogy seems a bit like overkill,

Good Day

This offer included a young promising 2 way forward with full arsenal. A nasty shot, excellent pass, and has a physical level of play equal or greater than Cole. How do I know this? Because I follow NHL teams like there was no tommorrow. We thought this has got to be a joke because that's like the oilers offering Ales Hemsky for Joe Sakic. Then 2 hours after hearing this I am told a 2nd round draft choice is also involved. This has got to be a rumor for sure because now it's not even funny. I'm getting pissed off by my owns fan telling them " why don't you just tease me more and tell me we're getting Alexander Ovechkin." 15 minutes later the deal goes down and Carolina trades Patrick O'Sullivan and 2nd rounder for Erik Cole.

Physical level of play equal or greater than Cole? Which Patrick O'Sullivan have you been watching? He's about as physical as Miro Satan, a player that falls down to avoid hits.

Thanks for your thoughts though and touching story, and good luck with Sully and Kotalik. Just don't place unreal expectations on them...like Sully hitting or Kotalik finishing.

;)

It appears you are just asking us here to validate your opinion. If you are so sure you are correct why the lengthy diatribe to attempt to prove your point.

As always time will tell.

Hope you make the playoffs as well as the Canes.

and what Icefrog said.

Cole broke his neck, it wasn't a concussion that set him back. And there isn't really any pressure to replace Justin Williams, Williams is injured right now and has been off and on for two years. He really hasn't been a big factor on the team in two years. The only pressure is to win games, plus helping Staal score and Cole getting some himself.

And last thing, if only one GM in the league thought the deal was fair as you say, then what does say about the Kings and Canes' GMs? Are you saying these two made the trades only to help Edmonton out though they knew they were screwing themselves over? O'Sullivan isn't the second coming of Gretzky, and frankly the Hurricanes would rather have Cole and the Kings would rather have Williams. How it plays out is another story.

I dont think JR did an "uh oh", more like a "this is the type of player we need and I know exactly who can fill that role." A lot of players seem to struggle meeting expectations in Edmonton, coincidence?

You say the Oilers and Cole were close on a 3 year 9M deal. J.R. would probably go for that here. He rids himself of 7M over 2 years for a guy who can't stay on the ice. He was traded because it looked to J.R. (and us) that Cole was going to be looking for more than that. In my opinion, Cole's trade to Edmunton didn't have anything to do with ability, just getting a return for a player that J.R. didn't think he was going to be able to resign.

Wonder why people from other teams don't like to come here!!! :rolleyes:

Anything BUT,, what ICEfrog said!!!

Talk about derailing a thread!!! :rolleyes:

So typical! :blink:

We are really not hicks down here. We understand the game, including the financial side, so again....what IceFrog said.

LOL *edit*. Of course your not hicks. Who said that? Or is your head still stuck in the stanley cup year that you think any Oilersfan is here only to bash your team? Of course you understand the game it's pretty clear you do thats why i said I don't believe I know any better than you guys. It's my way of saying " If you don't agree it's cool, just don't assume things about me". And read my first sentence again, it also says this is my perspective. I didn't say " I'm the prophet from a hockey town and I will tell you what's what".

:huh: What's wrong with you people? On the other thread you're falling over yourselves to defend that knucklehead troll from Buffalo, while here everyone's getting on this dude's case for stating his opinion in what to me looks like a pretty respectful and non-confrontational manner.

:huh: What's wrong with you people? On the other thread you're falling over yourselves to defend that knucklehead troll from Buffalo, while here everyone's getting on this dude's case for stating his opinion in what to me looks like a pretty respectful and non-confrontational manner.

Yeah what "fromRaleigh" said!!!

I think the thread starter could have had more 'poster sense' when picking a title of the thread.

And since his two major points that would be used to support his title were factually incorrect.. (concussion? chance at the Canes keeping O'Sullivan?), it is truthfully hard to give a fan of another team that much of a break.

If I go to their board, and write 'Edmonton GM Lacking Hockey Sense?'.. and then proceed to explain why Patrick Kane will never make a great goalie for their team.. I wonder how respectful they would be?

LOL *edit*. Of course your not hicks. Who said that? Or is your head still stuck in the stanley cup year that you think any Oilersfan is here only to bash your team? Of course you understand the game it's pretty clear you do thats why i said I don't believe I know any better than you guys. It's my way of saying " If you don't agree it's cool, just don't assume things about me". And read my first sentence again, it also says this is my perspective. I didn't say " I'm the prophet from a hockey town and I will tell you what's what".

I do appreciate your comments, although your whole premise was flawed in that you 1) assumed Cole had a concussion, which he didn't. 2) You assummed O'Sullivan would have played here without any knowledge of his past situation in Carolina. So, anything else you base your opinion on is flawed and based on false assumptions. Plus, I don't really think if I started a thread on your boards suggesting your GM is an idiot and has no hockey sense that it would be received any different. Also, the length of the post suggests to me we needed something we all ready know explained to us. Anyway, thanks for posting and no hard feelings. I hope you visit again. And by the way, my head isn't stuck anywhere :) and I never said anything about being bashed by Oil fans. As a matter of fact, I enjoyed the whole experience and have always thought your organization and fans are a class act!

I don't think anyone here claims you were Cole bashing, we are just pointing out that some of your points didn't make sense, like the above poster said- Cole's major injury wasn't a concussion, O'Sullivan wouldn't have played here, and this was a trade that made sense for three GMs (at least in their own minds).

I have no disrespect for Oilers fans and know they are big fans of Cole: http://forums.edmontonoilers.com/index.php?showtopic=46811