The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Playmaker-ch1

Jokinen

Does anyone know if Jokinen will be back for Mondays game? If so where do you think he will he fit in on our lines?

I don't believe he will be back for Monday's game. John and Tripp were saying that he should be making the trip back on Monday, and depending on whether he has been skating or not in Finland, he may play on Wednesday vs. Chigago at the earliest.

I would bet he plays 4th line center and Helminen goes back to Albany.
My thoughts exactly. Having him and Walker, will give us 4 full lines that are more than able to score. This will increase our depth alot. Who else plays with Jokinen and Walker? Ryan Bayda, Michael Ryan, or Tim Conboy?

Conboy would add toughness, and Ryan (Michael Ryan) would add speed. Bayda doesn't have a particular skill unlike Conboy and M. Ryan.

I'd slot Jokinen in the third-line center position, simply because I think he has the skills necessary to keep up with Eaves and Samsonov on the ice. Brind'Amour would still play a prominent role on the powerplay and penalty kill and I like the all-around toughness of a Conboy / Brind'Amour / Walker fourth-line.

I think you will see Ryan and Conboy, since Walker is once again on the injured list. If Walker comes back, Ryan will sit.

I'd slot Jokinen in the third-line center position, simply because I think he has the skills necessary to keep up with Eaves and Samsonov on the ice. Brind'Amour would still play a prominent role on the powerplay and penalty kill and I like the all-around toughness of a Conboy / Brind'Amour / Walker fourth-line.

I concur with your thinking, Jokinen would be a better fit on the third line, and on the flip side - Brind'Amour would be perfect for the fourth line. Jokinen is much faster than Brind'Amour and would fit in well with Samsonov and Eaves. Then having an actual "tough line" would be nice for a change, I would love to to see Conboy - Brind'Amour - Walker on a line together.

While it might be good to have Jokinen on the 3rd line, Brind'Amour has good chemistry with Sammy. So, it seems doubtful Brindy will be put on the 4th line. Besides, why should he? He has played better lately.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I think Jokinen is better than 4rth line material and that he should be slotted on the 3rd line but then someone on the 3rd line would have to be sent to the 4rth. Its a little bit of a predicament but one that I dont mind. It shows our depth

If we had room i'd give Jokinen 20 minutes his first game back, I am not sure of his character but most guys would have a big game after a loss in thier family.

But we just cant do that to our lines to go on a hunch.

While it might be good to have Jokinen on the 3rd line, Brind'Amour has good chemistry with Sammy. So, it seems doubtful Brindy will be put on the 4th line. Besides, why should he? He has played better lately.

In my opinion, he's still been pretty invisible five-on-five. Where he has really stepped up his play is on the powerplay and penalty-kill, which is why I think he should still see significant time on special teams.

In my opinion, he's still been pretty invisible five-on-five. Where he has really stepped up his play is on the powerplay and penalty-kill, which is why I think he should still see significant time on special teams.
Good point. We'll see if Brindy does better before Jokinen comes back. If he does do better, he should stay on 3rd line.

We had this discussion about a scoring 4th line already at the start of the season...I don't get it.

I think we should focus on having 2, maybe 3 scoring lines, that's all we could wish for, so I think Jokinen should take the 3rd line center. Brindy does a good job on defense (at least that is what we would expect of him), and can still be on the special teams. In addition...you guys talkin about having Jokinen on 4th and Brindy on 3rd, to have all the lines getting a scoring touch. Following that argumentation...why should Brindy have less of a scoring touch than Jokinen if he would be as good enough to center the 3rd line? He has shown scoring ability more than once in a while, but doesn't seem to be the old Brindy anymore, just because of his age and health. So...reducing his Ice time on even play to have him rested for certain situations, such as special teams, should be a good step. And still: He's a pretty tough guy, what makes him a perfect fit for a physical, defensive oriented 4th line.

Our forwards are so STACKED now it's hard to believe. I wouldn't touch the 3rd line right now. If Patty/3rd line struggles during the next 2 games, I'd move Jussi up and bring Eaves down to 4th. I hate the idea of Patty being on 4th, but like I said, STACKED.

My thoughts exactly. Having him and Walker, will give us 4 full lines that are more than able to score. This will increase our depth alot. Who else plays with Jokinen and Walker? Ryan Bayda, Michael Ryan, or Tim Conboy?

Conboy would add toughness, and Ryan (Michael Ryan) would add speed. Bayda doesn't have a particular skill unlike Conboy and M. Ryan.

Michael Ryan has speed?? Ha that must be a joke. Send him away

Our forwards are so STACKED now it's hard to believe. I wouldn't touch the 3rd line right now. If Patty/3rd line struggles during the next 2 games, I'd move Jussi up and bring Eaves down to 4th. I hate the idea of Patty being on 4th, but like I said, STACKED.

I really wouldn't call this stacked, we got alot of normally mediocre forwards all of a sudden playing.

Looking at the depth chart, the logical player to go back down would be Heimelman. Thus Brind'Amour and Jokinen would jockey for the third line center. Dare I say it Brind'Amour is playing better of late, and probably gets the 3rd line slot. It is amazing really that Bayda is out and when and if Walker gets back he is looking at the 4th line. Then Ryan would go down. I just can't see sending Conboy back. Whether it's his physicality or just plain luck, he has been around for our best hockey for too long now to mess with it.

I just can't see sending Conboy back. Whether it's his physicality or just plain luck, he has been around for our best hockey for too long now to mess with it.

Very true. For whatever reason Conboy has helped make us a better team. Other teams can't take runs at us without thinking we will make them pay. If it's luck lets not change it.

I just can't see sending Conboy back. Whether it's his physicality or just plain luck, he has been around for our best hockey for too long now to mess with it.

Very true. For whatever reason Conboy has helped make us a better team. Other teams can't take runs at us without thinking we will make them pay. If it's luck lets not change it.

I would have no problem if Paul Maurice snuck Jussi in for a couple of shifts on the 3rd line during the game in the place of Eaves to see how Jussi Plays with Brindy and Sammy. As others have said Jokinen will get time on PP and PK which is perfectly fine with me he is pretty good on both.