The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Jazzowness

Canes to honor Glen Wesley on 2/17

I was wondering if we could get the National Hurricane Center to retire the name Glen from being used on any named storm in the future? Just a thought. :D

They only bad thing about that is that they don't reuse Hurricane names when the storms cause a fatality (meaning they will never reuse Hanna or Ike from this year).. The only thing Glen killed is a couple of egos of Crapitals forwards as he plastered them into the boards. Maybe thats close enough? :)

Time to bring this thread back up to the top as Wes' big night is only a week away. I just bought tickets for me and hubby this morning. We were at the ESA for the Great One's night and for Ronnie's so we decided we needed to be there for this too.

Anybody have a favorite Glenny moment to share...I got to say that the goalline sweep save in the Cup year is up there for me!

Red

Wish I could be there, would be only more fitting if the team pulled out a win as well. No doubt that Glen is one of the true greats on this team, and deserves to have his number raised to the banners. As for favourite moment, I can't remember who it was against, but he absolutely destroyed some guy in our end. It was a game against the Penguins.... Kris Beech or something? Got a few good kicks out of that, since it seemed like none of our D-corps was making any hits at all. That guy dropped like a fly, and I was like :blink:

Can't remember which game specifically during the Stanley Cup run, but he had gotten hit by a puck in each leg and had tried to limp off but couldn't because there was a lot of action going on in the Cane's area. One of the announcers said something along the line of Glen Wesley is courageous for staying in the game. That is now my daughters and mine favorite line about him. No one else is as "courageous" as Glen Wesley. It is sad to see him not playing but totally understand why he isn't.

Can't remember which game specifically during the Stanley Cup run, but he had gotten hit by a puck in each leg and had tried to limp off but couldn't because there was a lot of action going on in the Cane's area. One of the announcers said something along the line of Glen Wesley is courageous for staying in the game. That is now my daughters and mine favorite line about him. No one else is as "courageous" as Glen Wesley. It is sad to see him not playing but totally understand why he isn't.

I i'm remembering correctly that was Game 7 of the SCF. Edmonton had the 2 man advantage. Excellent determination and guts by #2. Then again, Wesley was one of the best for us on the PK, always sacrificing his body to block the puck no matter what.

The org did a great job on the Ceremony tonight. I like how they continued the tradtion of wearing the retired jersey all through warm ups. Kudos to the Bruins for coming out and being apart of the ceremony and looked to enjoy it as much as the rest of us. After Wes' last skate around, awesome to see him hug A.Ward. It really reminds you how tight that team really was.

Too bad the outcome wasn't what we all wanted, but seeing the ceremony was worth being in the building for.

I thought Johnny Forslund was great! He did an awesome job MC'in the ceremony. Weren't the gifts management given to Wesley pretty simular to the ones Ronny Francis got? The scorecard plaque was really cool.. a real old school flashback for Glenn, and he looked kinda surprised, when they showed him holding it up on the jumbotron. Good luck with the player developement job GW#2, you really are a class act and deserve the great honor you are receiving! GO 'CANES!!! Hopefully the Hurricanes will be playing the same team they played tonight (Bruins) in the (knock on wood), playoffs.? Maybe if so... we sweep them like they swept us? Once again, GO 'CANES!!!!!

I too remember the 5 on 3 in SCF game 7 against the Oilers..Watching #2 block the shots and hobble in pain (Dont remember wat game that was)..stay classy #2..There was a tear in my eye watching one of our classiest guys have his jersey's retired

Hi all, AVS fan there. ;) Don't worry, i'm not a troll! :)

I watched the game last night and i just wanna know what was the song that played when they raised Wesley jersey?

Thank you.And i wish all Canes fans that your team will go to the playoffs. :P

The song was "I Can Only Imagine" - an awsome CHRISTIAN song. It was great to hear it played for Glen. I'd bet a lot of money that he personally picked it. I know it was done by MercyMe, but I found on the internet that song was originally written by Bart Millard.

Here are the lyrics:

I Can Only Imagine lyrics

I can only imagine

What it will be like

When I walk

By your side

I can only imagine

What my eyes will see

When your face

Is before me

I can only imagine

I can only imagine

[Chorus:]

Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel

Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still

Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall

Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all

I can only imagine

I can only imagine

I can only imagine

When that day comes

And I find myself

Standing in the Son

I can only imagine

When all I will do

Is forever

Forever worship You

I can only imagine

I can only imagine

[Chorus]

I can only imagine [x2]

I can only imagine

When all I will do

Is forever, forever worship you

I can only imagine

I i'm remembering correctly that was Game 7 of the SCF. Edmonton had the 2 man advantage. Excellent determination and guts by #2. Then again, Wesley was one of the best for us on the PK, always sacrificing his body to block the puck no matter what.

To add I think he actually took 2 shots to underprotected areas in the same shift, he was a wreck coming off finally.

Anybody have a favorite Glenny moment to share...

Last night was a pretty good one... he looked straight at my sign as he was skating out and waving and he went out smiling... that's a moment I'll never forget. That speech... everything last night... if anyone can put a moment out better than last night, then put it out there.

I cried when Johnny Forslund said "and the #2 will never be worn by a hurricanes player again!"

Did anyone stay after for the GREAT video after the game? The place was pretty much cleared out, but I stayed and it was AMAZING. It showed the game, the ceremony, Matthew, Josh, and their dad getting ready in the locker room before the game, other personal pictures and videos, and it was GREAT. It was the only thing I didn't record, so if anyone did, please upload it to youtube and post it!!!!

The ceremony was truly classy and very emotional. Nothing but utmost respect for the man who for 20 years gave 110% every single game. The whole thing made it harder to swallow the disaster that ensued on the ice after the lights were turned on and the red carpets were rolled up.

Did anyone stay after for the GREAT video after the game? The place was pretty much cleared out, but I stayed and it was AMAZING.

Hopefully they are aware that team stunk it up so badly that a very few people felt like staying there until the end, much less hanging out after the game, and that they'll post it on the Hurricanes website for everyone to see.

As sweet as last nite was FOR WES, i wonder how he felt with his team playing like they did?

If I were him, I'd tear that thing down from the rafters and un-retire on the spot, get back into the lineup and show these bozos how the D is played. :angry:

Hopefully they are aware that team stunk it up so badly that a very few people felt like staying there until the end, much less hanging out after the game, and that they'll post it on the Hurricanes website for everyone to see.

Didn't we have a thread on that once? About the disrespect coming from fans leaving games early (like mobs, not one or two)?? Maybe not...

Anyway, a lot of articles said the Canes were booed on their exiting. However, I sat near the ice and the only boos heard at the end were for Chara, Tim Thomas, or Wardo. My parents wanted to leave but we stayed through the worst to the end.

Like all the others who posted here, I really enjoyed the pre-game ceremony and was disappointed in the game. That said, I halfway kept my eye on the Bruins bench during the ceremony and after the game started. It was a class act that they were in their box for the ceremony and I was glad that when the announcer welcomed them to the ice for it, they received a nice round of applause and cheers (including a few obligatory boos). I noticed that several of the Bruins were watching the Tron during many of the clips recapping Wes' career as the game progressed. One player almost missed his shift he was so engrossed watching an old clip of Wes with the Bruins. Even Coach Julian was watching a bit. I saw Wes stop in front of their bench during the skate around, but couldn't see that he was hugging AWard. All in all, a nice event. It showed that old friendships and relationships transcend the heated emotions of a single game.

The only negative of the ceremony came when John Forsland began his presentation. He started out reciting the SAME intro that he used for Ron Francis' retirement. "Many things can be said about a man by the way he carries himself as he takes his journey through life. Tonight, we........................" I had heard that Wes' ceremony was going to be a duplicate of Ron's, but I would have thought that he could have at least come up with a different intro. Maybe this will become the standard intro for all Canes retirements in the future.

BTW, why do I have a Warn bar under my member #?

If I were him, I'd tear that thing down from the rafters and un-retire on the spot, get back into the lineup and show these bozos how the D is played. :angry:

During warm ups we were all talking how cool it would have been if Wes signed a 1 day deal and suited up to play one last time. We sure could have used him.

yeah...when the horn was going, to lead the chant, "Let's go Canes"..I was yelling "Bring back Wes" :lol:

During warm ups we were all talking how cool it would have been if Wes signed a 1 day deal and suited up to play one last time. We sure could have used him.

what sign? what did it say...do you have a picture of it?

Last night was a pretty good one... he looked straight at my sign as he was skating out and waving and he went out smiling... that's a moment I'll never forget. That speech... everything last night... if anyone can put a moment out better than last night, then put it out there.

I cried when Johnny Forslund said "and the #2 will never be worn by a hurricanes player again!"

Did anyone stay after for the GREAT video after the game? The place was pretty much cleared out, but I stayed and it was AMAZING. It showed the game, the ceremony, Matthew, Josh, and their dad getting ready in the locker room before the game, other personal pictures and videos, and it was GREAT. It was the only thing I didn't record, so if anyone did, please upload it to youtube and post it!!!!

dont know if it was said, but when he pulled the shot off the red line saving the goal and making the game go to overtime against buffalo...good times...