The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes recall Tim Conboy

Was wondering why he was recalled even if Pitkanen is out b/c Gleason is supposedly coming back. But appears Samsonov could be out, which makes sense as Conboy fills a better role as 4th line enforcer rather defense:

Canes coach Paul Maurice said it's possible forward Sergei Samsonov could be held out of tonight's game against the New York Islanders.

Samsonov blocked a shot Tuesday against the Boston Bruins and has been in a walking boot, Maurice said today. A decision on his playing status will be made later this afternoon.

Maurice said Tim Conboy, called up from the Albany River Rats (AHL), would be in the lineup tonight.

The key against the Islanders, Maurice said simply, would be getting the required effort from his team.

"If we skate and hit the way we need to, we can be successful," he said.

Was wondering why he was recalled even if Pitkanen is out b/c Gleason is supposedly coming back. But appears Samsonov could be out, which makes sense as Conboy fills a better role as 4th line enforcer rather defense:

Thats what Maurice said in his interview.

sheesh...come on! here we go again on the whole injury merry-go-round.

i'm beginning to wonder if pete secretly works for the caps... :blink:

KEEP HIM HERE!!!! maybe its just me...but did anyone else see how much he got under downies skin last night???? i like this guy, the crowd likes this guy, he gives the team a little octane, Conboy needs to stay here, period, end of story! Ill start a petition if I have too and go door to door. so whos coming with me? :lol:

Conboy is really useful, he can not only play D but a great forward as well.

I think he really wants to stay up here and is trying to prove he can play! and stick up for his team..

I am liking what i see from him, he's a hard working player.

It will be interesting where this goes. We have a couple of guys out that are going to be returning sooner or later. This team played well last season about this time (remember they called Conboy and Brookbank up). The team went on quite a run and the last week of the season our injured players got well and were re-inserted into the lineup. The rest is history.

I hate to bring up this age old arguement again, but is it coincidence that Conboy is up and we reel off two in a row? I'm not foolish enough to really think that Conboy's skills made the difference, but is it coincidence? I think most here would agree that a bit of team toughness can't be a bad thing. Does what Conboy does on the ice pump up the team? Do they play a little different knowing they have backup? What is the difference? Last season I remember Walker stating that the team liked having those two guys on the bench with them.

I almost didn't post this because of the "wizzing" contest that is sure to follow. I guess I wonder if Conboy will stay on the ice when Walker and Williams comes back. Sutter has found a place in the press box since he is still too young for the AHL (crazy rules). When Walker comes back who will join Sutter in the press box?

I think having Conboy is a good thing right now. Even if he doesn't "win", having him show another team that he's willing to throw down is a good thing. He's had what, 3 or 4 fights now the past 3 games or so? Also doesn't take out Gleason and Walker for future games. My opinion anyway.

It will be interesting where this goes. We have a couple of guys out that are going to be returning sooner or later. This team played well last season about this time (remember they called Conboy and Brookbank up). The team went on quite a run and the last week of the season our injured players got well and were re-inserted into the lineup. The rest is history.

I hate to bring up this age old arguement again, but is it coincidence that Conboy is up and we reel off two in a row? I'm not foolish enough to really think that Conboy's skills made the difference, but is it coincidence? I think most here would agree that a bit of team toughness can't be a bad thing. Does what Conboy does on the ice pump up the team? Do they play a little different knowing they have backup? What is the difference? Last season I remember Walker stating that the team liked having those two guys on the bench with them.

I almost didn't post this because of the "wizzing" contest that is sure to follow. I guess I wonder if Conboy will stay on the ice when Walker and Williams comes back. Sutter has found a place in the press box since he is still too young for the AHL (crazy rules). When Walker comes back who will join Sutter in the press box?

By the time Walker is ready, someone else will be hurt. Not trying to be a downer but just realistic. COnboy is needed for a spark and to send messages that we're not taking *edit* from anyone. This team has a bad rep for being soft and dealt away Brookbank who sat idle in the press box. I think youre onto something superdave. They played with way more confidence with Brookbank on the bench just like now with Conboy on the bench. Neither has great skills but do provide a message for other teams thinking about taking cheap shots at our players. A must have in the NHL or your team gets the *edit* hit out it like we have seen for most of the season.

It was noticed that the question for the day in the N&O, is "Should have Conboy been a part of the Canes' all year? (Not quoted)

This is all I have to say...

Conboy brings a lot to the Canes. Last year, when he was called up, we play our best hockey until Lavi sent him back down. We did not make the playoffs due to sending the people that got us there back down. That was a huge mistake!

So, I think it was good for Conboy to start the season with the Rats and be the Captain. He has learned a lot this year and knows what it takes to make a top-notch team. He cares about the game, his team mates, and winning. We need him from here on out and if they even think of trading him I think the fans would be very disappointed. He is a fans favorite and everyone, the team and the fans, get into the game more with him here.

So, in short! Yes, he should remain a part of the team for the rest of the season and should be on the Cane's team next year.

My .02!

Conboy is great for this Canes team. Yesterday, the Avs early on were beating up the Canes. The Canes were down, Tim got bashed along the boards with no call and had to go to the dressing room. Conboy came out and stood up for his team. What if this team had to play that section of the game yesterday without Gleason or Walker and no Conboy? The Avs would have taken many more liberties with the Canes and their physical play may very well have won them the game. Instead, the Canes got some energy and a backbone and came back to win rather easily. Conboy played 3 minutes yesterday but, imo, is a key reason the Canes won.

Having Conboy in the line up allows the team to play looser. Other teams have to have a greater respect level for the Canes physically because they know they will have to answer for cheap shots or questionable physical play. No disrespect to Gleason or Walker who tough it up when needed, but Conboy as a true enforcer simply has a different presence and has limited expectations for his ice time, so he will not be out there 15 or 20+ minutes and contributing to play in a different way like Scott and Tim do.

When it comes to Conboy's skills, he has enough for the 4th line or 3rd D pairing with limited minutes. His contribution through physical presence for this team is something that skill alone cannot and will not replace.

Don't overlook Conboy flying into the Avs zone prior to Bayda's goal. He caused the cough-up that created that goal. Not on the score sheet, but I'm sure it was noticed.

Don't overlook Conboy flying into the Avs zone prior to Bayda's goal. He caused the cough-up that created that goal. Not on the score sheet, but I'm sure it was noticed.

It was noticed by me, anyway! Conboy is a different caliber person that Brookbank was. A lot of people thought we should have kept him but Conboy is a much better player and can play any position, other than goalie but would not put it past him. He gets into the game, crashes the net, makes decent passes, can handle the puck, and can drop the gloves. As stated by others, he should be on the 3rd or 4th line or the 3 pairing of the defense but, regardless, he should stay.

Go Conboy!!!!

It was noticed by me, anyway! Conboy is a different caliber person that Brookbank was.

Two great points! Conboy makes things happen on the ice and is better skilled than Brookbank. And, we got Jokinen for Wade! A guy who wins faceoffs and brings energy in a very different way than Conboy.

JR and Mo KEEP CONBOY ON THE ICE!

Definately noticed, I actually thought he got the goal at first.

He will prpbably get sent back down because someone will whine and cry the his physical play and fighting isn't good for the "FAMILY ATMOSPHERE" @ the RBC center!!!BOOOO HOOOOO :rolleyes:

I say keep him here, he is one of those guys that "bring it" evey shift!!

He will prpbably get sent back down because someone will whine and cry the his physical play and fighting isn't good for the "FAMILY ATMOSPHERE" @ the RBC center!!!BOOOO HOOOOO :rolleyes:

I totally agree with you djharley. I think Conboy adds a lot to this team. Our team needs to be a little more physical and Conboy really helps that out.

I cannot believe the difference in the Canes' record when he plays vs when he doesn't. So far they're 5-0-3 this year and 18-4-5 all time with Conboy in the lineup. I know the argument for "how he helps" but just don't generally get it. But hey if they keep winning, I don't care if I can't figure out logically why what he brings to the table helps the team more than it should. Maybe he's just the hockey equivalent of a lucky rabbits foot.

We are one of the families they want to keep. Conboy is my wife's favorite player and she cheers him in front of our kids!

MGMT, we are HOCKEY fans and Conboy's play is part of WINNING hockey.