The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canes recall Tim Conboy

Love seeing Conboy in the lineup. Loved the fight last night!!! We are definitely going to need that in the lineup for the playoffs!!! KEEP CONBOY IN!!!!! B)

He will prpbably get sent back down because someone will whine and cry the his physical play and fighting isn't good for the "FAMILY ATMOSPHERE" @ the RBC center!!!BOOOO HOOOOO :rolleyes:

I say keep him here, he is one of those guys that "bring it" evey shift!!

I am also afraid that Conboy will eventually be sent back down to Albany. It may not be because of family atmosphere

We are one of the families they want to keep. Conboy is my wife's favorite player and she cheers him in front of our kids!

MGMT, we are HOCKEY fans and Conboy's play is part of WINNING hockey.

Great response!!!and thank you for being a true hockey fan

Nice to see...i applaud you for that!!! ;)

I cannot believe the difference in the Canes' record when he plays vs when he doesn't. So far they're 5-0-3 this year and 18-4-5 all time with Conboy in the lineup. I know the argument for "how he helps" but just don't generally get it. But hey if they keep winning, I don't care if I can't figure out logically why what he brings to the table helps the team more than it should. Maybe he's just the hockey equivalent of a lucky rabbits foot.

I don't care HOW he helps us win, I just care that we seem to win with this guy around. He did figure into the goal on Sunday afternoon by crashing the crease.

I don't care if he is the lucky rabbits foot, horseshoe, 4 leaf clover, or just good MoJo (yeah baby), he contributes something even if you can't put your finger on it.

As others have said we need to keep conboy up here in Carolina. The canes need to make room on the roster for him when walker comes back (not sure when williams will be back pretty hard to know for sure). All I know it that the canes seem to play bigger and tougher when he is in the line up. Conboy is the man and needs to be kept up here in carolina. Not trying to look to far ahead, but I sure hope that he is playing for carolina all next year.

CONBOY MUST STAY!!!

While we're all jumping on the Conboy bandwagon, I'm very glad he's here. This offseason I wanted him to be on the 4th line, but that spot went to Bayda. His contract is one way next year, so he'll be up here.

Wow...some people just take their annoying attitude anywhere...ragging on Ward isn't enough anymore I guess. Thought with a win streak that stuff would die down...

Anyway...only thing I can figure for why they kept Brookbank an extra year, and signed Conboy to a one way for next year, is to either 1) pay back Wade for his work last year, or 2) give Timmy an extra year to improve in the AHL. Whatever the reason, it was not one of JR's best decisions. Only question I have is will Timmy pull something like what got him suspended in Albany while he is up here? If he can reign that in, I think he may have a solid spot in the lineup. I suspect it will be at least 1 to 2 weeks before Walker is ready to come back, and even then they may keep sitting Sutter if they keep on this run.

The Conboy thing brings up the energy line concept. Hockey teams need at least one "energy" line and a mix of energy players. The cup year we had Adams-Adams-LaRose. Not goons, energy guys. Skate 100% hard 100% of the time, play like your career depends on it kind of guys. Some teams have two lines with mostly this kind of guy, but at least the 4th liners should be that.

Brookbank was not really that kind of player. He didn't really hit much (even when he fought, OUCH). Just lumbered around waiting for a fight. Conboy brings the energy. Scrappy, like LaRose, but bigger and able to drop the gloves as well.

JR wanted to go bigger more physical on the 4th line during the offseason with Hordichuk, but didn't pull it off.

Sutter is going to be a very solid player, but he is not at his current weight and age an energy guy. Not that he doesn't play hard, just not big and strong enough yet.

Anyway, the team feeds off of the energy. I think our current success has more to do with a somewhat improved Brind'Amour finally playing reduced minutes and the emergence of Cullen as our second line center, but when it comes to the 4th line, Conboy is fine with me.

Anyway, the team feeds off of the energy. I think our current success has more to do with a somewhat improved Brind'Amour finally playing reduced minutes and the emergence of Cullen as our second line center, but when it comes to the 4th line, Conboy is fine with me.

Agree with your whole post, but especially this last part. With "consistency" and "chemistry" as subjective issues, and lack of scoring the primary objective issue, the coming together of our current third line and all these points is saving our butts with the recent increased lack of production from the PP unit. Hopefully it will be enough to get us to the playoffs.

"THEY", being management, may want this to be a hockey team with family values but they need to look where they are. In the South!! We like good ole' fights and hard hitting. Heck, we teach our young boys how to be tough as soon as we can.

Southerner's don't like panzy men or panzy teams!!!!

Conboy has to have some Southern blood in him. We all love the way he plays!!!!

I say forecheck, shot, push for position, and when all else fails....FIGHT!!!!

My .02! :rolleyes:

So lol, when did the Canes ever say that we were limiting fighting for a family atmosphere? One person suggests it and now people are replying with it as if was stated at a press conference by JR :rolleyes:

Lavi put the reigns on fighting because having Gleason serve a major was stupid, thats 5 minutes of a 60 minute game you cant have your best guy sitting in the box. Same for Walker who loved to get in fights before breaking his wrist? Hand... something. So now you got your good players getting injured while fighting. Brookbank cant skate, shoot or pass... just fight and maybe use the bathroom though I'm not totally sure. So we didnt like using him cause in the end the guy sucked and was a wasted man same for Boulerice. Conboy can skate and fight making him useful to the extent we dont have to bench our 4th line to keep him off the ice.

Mo seems to have the same idea he doesnt want his good guys in the box. Having your best guy go toe to toe with a goon and having your best dman and easily their worst player in the box for a qusrter of a period isn't hard to figure out how stupid that is.

Conboy is good, however I felt like the family atmosphere thing was getting stupid that's not even remotely the case as to why the Canes dont fight when Conboy isn't dressed.

I said in another thread a while back that if you didnt get a guy who could "bring it " were gonna be in trouble. He plays well and tames the other team. I take my wife and kids for the love of the game and a win. I think if Conboy stands up for his teamates what better lesson can I tell my kids. Family atmosphere scores a 10!!!

So lol, when did the Canes ever say that we were limiting fighting for a family atmosphere? One person suggests it and now people are replying with it as if was stated at a press conference by JR :rolleyes:

Conboy is good, however I felt like the family atmosphere thing was getting stupid that's not even remotely the case as to why the Canes dont fight when Conboy isn't dressed.

So can we now call Conboy "The Home Wrecker".

(Superdave likes that one, Superdave pats himself on the back.)

Lavi put the reigns on fighting because having Gleason serve a major was stupid, thats 5 minutes of a 60 minute game you cant have your best guy sitting in the box. Same for Walker who loved to get in fights before breaking his wrist? Hand... something. So now you got your good players getting injured while fighting. Brookbank cant skate, shoot or pass... just fight and maybe use the bathroom though I'm not totally sure. So we didnt like using him cause in the end the guy sucked and was a wasted man same for Boulerice. Conboy can skate and fight making him useful to the extent we dont have to bench our 4th line to keep him off the ice.

Mo seems to have the same idea he doesnt want his good guys in the box. Having your best guy go toe to toe with a goon and having your best dman and easily their worst player in the box for a qusrter of a period isn't hard to figure out how stupid that is.

Legend, if mgmt reads and listens to these boards then this team is in more trouble than we know ;) . I think what most of us who are making the family comments are saying is that JR likes skill guys who play with little physicality to their game which puts a polite team (in a hockey sense) on the ice, but may not win to their skill level. Conboy, as you point out enables guys like Gleason and Walker to focus on their play alone without wondering if they will have to fight that night and it keeps them out of the box. NHL hockey requires that a team be able to stand up for itself, or it will get pushed around and be unable to fully display that skill that the players possess. Guys on this team (was it Walker or Williams?) have stated that they feel more comfortable on the ice when there is an enforcer on the bench. I think recent play for this team is showing how true that is.

Very true...I ignored this story line as it wasn't realistic. The idea that "family atmosphere" would affect what happens on the ice is ludicrous. JR does go more for "character" type players which, from everything I have heard, Conboy is (and Brookbank was, too). In the end, he's a better player than Brookbank, though I was sorry to see him go. I'd say if he can continue to learn to minimize mistakes and position himself well on the ice, his future is bright.

Legend,,

I know & you know your just trying to bust my chops about this "family atmosphere" but there are plenty of people out there that understood the sarcastic remark i was trying to make! So keep on trying to bust my chops all you want i won't lose any sleep over it Legend :rolleyes:

Legend,,

I know & you know your just trying to bust my chops about this "family atmosphere" but there are plenty of people out there that understood the sarcastic remark i was trying to make! So keep on trying to bust my chops all you want i won't lose any sleep over it Legend :rolleyes:

Sounds like the gloves are coming off? (Just joking) :unsure:

Here's an interesting little stat... the Canes are 18-5-5 with Conboy in the lineup over the last two years. Sounds like a positive influence. And since Conboy is on a one-way contract next season, keep playing him.

I love Conboy and would argue that he is a better defenseman than offensive player. I would also argue that if given the chance, he may be able to make that third pairing. I'm def on the Conboy Wagon. Keep him here fo sho.

I just hope we don't do the same thing as last year and send all the AHL'ers back down before the last game and then we lose. Conboy is a fan favorite and it's his time to shine. He is one of my favorite players too and I expect he will go tonight against Calgary. Not sure with who, but I can see him dropping the gloves early to get a rise out of the team and the fans.