The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ncz82

Brind'Amour currently the worst defensive player in the league

Amen.

I took a co-worker to watch their first Canes and hockey game ever at the beginning of the season. He kept commenting on #8's energy on the ice and asked why he doesn't get as much ice time as the others. It has been obvious to everyone. I said it last season when Cullen equaled Brind'Amour's numbers having played in as many games but getting half the ice time.

Brindy in his prime was a good player. I'm not as partial to him as most of you being that I moved back the year after the Cup. I did watch the amazing run and I will say that after reading his pep speeches to watching the chemistry of the team since the following Cup season to present day - he isn't the leader that Carolina has needed or made him out to be. He is a gentleman and a good person but he doesn't have the NHL Captain quality necessary to lead a team. He is the leader by example by doing things right and work ethic.

He is a gentleman and a good person but he doesn't have the NHL Captain quality necessary to lead a team. He is the leader by example by doing things right and work ethic.

Leading by example isn't a bad way to lead. The problem is when your game begins to suffer your leadership role suffers. It took me a while to join the growing critics calling for Brind'Amour's ice time to be limited or for Brindy to hang it up. But it has become apparent that due to injury or age Brind'Amour isn't the same player he once was. My hope is that either his injury heals and he is able to come back and help the Canes into the playoffs or he is traded to a team where his work ethic and skill can be better used. Either way Brindy deserves to end his career with dignity and appreciation.

He is a gentleman and a good person but he doesn't have the NHL Captain quality necessary to lead a team. He is the leader by example by doing things right and work ethic.

Leading by example isn't a bad way to lead. The problem is when your game begins to suffer your leadership role suffers. It took me a while to join the growing critics calling for Brind'Amour's ice time to be limited or for Brindy to hang it up. But it has become apparent that due to injury or age Brind'Amour isn't the same player he once was. My hope is that either his injury heals and he is able to come back and help the Canes into the playoffs or he is traded to a team where his work ethic and skill can be better used. Either way Brindy deserves to end his career with dignity and appreciation.

I'm kinda questioning if he's even hurt or just flat out got sent home...

I am thinking that this is the first move. I would love nothing more than to have the pre-cup Brindy back, but I just don't see it. I really think that the team will respond with a winning streak and it will be really hard to force Brind'Amour back into the lineup. He just had the All-Star break, I don't see how a few games off will make much difference. If they do try to put him back in and he still doesn't have it, it really could cost us the playoffs.

I am thinking that this is the first move. I would love nothing more than to have the pre-cup Brindy back, but I just don't see it. I really think that the team will respond with a winning streak and it will be really hard to force Brind'Amour back into the lineup. He just had the All-Star break, I don't see how a few games off will make much difference. If they do try to put him back in and he still doesn't have it, it really could cost us the playoffs.

In my previous post I said I would like to see him either come back able to help us into the playoffs. I didn't say he would. Like you I am doubtful it will happen. You make a good point that putting him back and he still doesn't play well could hurt more than help. I just wish the best for him and for the Canes.

In my previous post I said I would like to see him either come back able to help us into the playoffs. I didn't say he would. Like you I am doubtful it will happen. You make a good point that putting him back and he still doesn't play well could hurt more than help. I just wish the best for him and for the Canes.

That thought has also crossed my mind. But we all know he hasn't been the same since his injury last year.

That thought has also crossed my mind. But we all know he hasn't been the same since his injury last year.

Seriously, he hasn't been same for 4 seasons. I don't think the injury is a good excuse especially when everyone talks about how hard he works out. People bounce back after that kind of surgery. NFL linemen his age and that weigh 300lbs make it back without losing a step. MLB pitchers have reconstructive arm surgery and come back throwing harder. Its not a good excuse.

Some fans are just going to look for a scape goat for this teams lack of inspired play at times this year and it's disappointing that Brind'Amour is this boards whipping boy. :angry:

Then again we do have a lot of Couch Coaches who do know it all don't you know! :lol:

The team has responded to the lose of Brind'Amour exactly as it did last year. Beating the best home team in the NHL in their house with no Staal for the entire 3rd period and a back up goalie who hadn't played since the stone age, and a handful of minor leaguers, then laying their first real whooping on a pretty good and desperate team in their building. It has begun.

I know it is sad for Brind'Amour, a truely great player, but I continue with my prediction the night he went home:

We are witnessing the beginning of a serious run of winning hockey. Write it down. Next victim: Florida.

You guys are brutal. How many ways can we beat a dead horse with this topic? Brind'Amour is having a tough season for whatever the reasons may be but he's out now and the team is moving forward. So should us fans.

My first thought when I heard the Jussi Jokinen trade annouced was that JR knows what many of us suspect .. Brindy is done for this season. So he acted fast and filled the soon to be officially open roster slot. Think we'll hear more about the captain's real status this week.

Hasn't been the same for 4 seasons? What calendar are you looking at?

Oops. Sorry about that I meant since 2006-2007.

HERE IS AN IDEA: LET'S STOP MAKING EXCUSES!

I think a lot of us "couch coaches" are upset and tired of excuses. Spending a lot of money to watch our favorite team lose for 2 seasons is very frustrating. Rod went down last season and our team turned it around. He went down this season and our team turns it around. That is not a coincidence and -30 says something.

Poor Brind'Amour catching the blame? BOO HOOO! I say poor Lavi for getting blamed soley for things then getting fired. Poor Cullen for being held back as a player by not having opportunity. Poor Samsonov - Whitney - Ruutu - Gleason - Corvo - Ward - Staal - Pitkanen - Leighton who have played hard, but have suffered and been blamed for our lack of success. Poor FANS who spend money to watch their favorite team lose OVER AND OVER all so one guy (the Captain/leader/heart and soul) can work through a two season slump all because he deserves it? NO THANKS!

Rod is no "scapegoat" - he is the root of the problem! I've been guilty just as you and have tried think other wise. However, I remember his performance before the injury. ROD was not that good BEFORE his INJURY! So hearing excuses and seeing the opportunity given has caused many of us to be upset. As a player/captain the fans have made him out to be someone he clearly is not. ROD is not superstar quality and our expectations of him have been unrealistic.

If you go back and read from the beginning of this thread as well as the others discussing the losing seasons. Once Brindy is mentioned, you have people giving him excuses. Oh he is playing injured, Brindy isn't the same without his linemates, once he recovers, the former Selke winner/Captain isn't the problem, plus/minus isn't a fair statistic, (love this one) he has had 2 "major" knee surgeries, blah blah blah. Rod wasn't capable when he was 100% last season.

WE now have to put our faith and confidence in Staal - Cullen - Samsonov - Ruutu and the rest who is out on the ice. It kills moral when we don't embrace guys like Cullen. He plays well and has proven himself on the ice and statistically. We haven't let them blossom because we haven't shown we believe in them. With Brindy out it is like dead weight being lifted off their shoulders.

Brindy is expected to come back sometime. I'm tired of watching Brindy struggle and hear how "he is the heart and soul of this team who brought us the Cup so he deserves the opportunity and TOI to recover." That is lame, painful and ridiculous. We have guys better than him.....a lot better.

His LEADERSHIP. As the "C" Brind'Amour should have benched himself a long time ago or requested less minutes but he didn't. That is bad Leadership! Last week we hear the EXCUSE that Rod Brind'Amour HAS BEEN PLAYING INJURED?!?!?! WHY PLAY SOMEONE WHO ISN'T PERFORMING WITH AN INJURY? Then you hear the coach say he hasn't complained once about going out and playing injured. Well Good for Rod! What a great Captain to go out on the ice and reach -30 before telling your coach you have been playing injured and the nagging injury is causing the bad performance. Didn't look injured to me! Just slow because of the others around him. I saw that before his injury LAST SEASON!

Brindy is not a superstar like Gretzky who led his team to 4 Cups. Brindy helped us win our first Cup and.........................................................? So thank you Brindy for helping us get that first cup and for your years in the NHL but we need to make the playoffs. I don't feel sorry for you.

I am so tired of the excuses and lack of accountability that it makes me sick. Rod was the problem last year and this year. This is no longer his team or castle. Time to move on!

Enough is enough, time to close this one. Let's move on, please.

Agreed, there nothing new being said that hasnt been posted before and he's out of the line up. Its not about excuses, just trying to move on.

All in favor of closing this one?

Whats to close, seems like an open and alive topic to me. He's out and were winning.... now what do we do with him in the offseason.

odd

Whats to close, seems like an open and alive topic to me. He's out and were winning.... now what do we do with him in the offseason.

odd

Well, let's close this Brindy thread and start one about how and why we are winning. Let's have a positive thread instead of "Let's bash Brindy"

Well, let's close this Brindy thread and start one about how and why we are winning. Let's have a positive thread instead of "Let's bash Brindy"

But we are winning because Brindy is out. Wouldn't it be simpler just to rename this thread? :rolleyes:

It's only been two games. We don't know for sure what the brain trust is planning for Brind'Amour. It's not like firing the coach where the decision is made and we can move on. There is not that same level of closure. At the same time that I hate bashing one of the greatest Canes of all time, I would hate it even more if they put him right back in there in a couple of games. If the team announced that he is out for a prolonged period, I for one will focus on other things in my posts and return to thinking of Brind'Amour in glowing terms. But as of now the official word is that he is nursing nagging injuries, which leaves it all open to speculation, which is a big part of what we do here.

odd

Shouldn't we wait to see what happens during the inseason first? This has to be an extremely tough position to be in for all involved. Sure there's plenty to talk about but the Brindy bashing and blaming has been beaten to death. Its time for the conversation to move forward.

It's only been two games. We don't know for sure what the brain trust is planning for Brind'Amour. It's not like firing the coach where the decision is made and we can move on. There is not that same level of closure. At the same time that I hate bashing one of the greatest Canes of all time, I would hate it even more if they put him right back in there in a couple of games. If the team announced that he is out for a prolonged period, I for one will focus on other things in my posts and return to thinking of Brind'Amour in glowing terms. But as of now the official word is that he is nursing nagging injuries, which leaves it all open to speculation, which is a big part of what we do here.

Exactly, but my original point in suggesting us closing THIS thread is the original name of the topic itself. Brindy can't be "minus whatever" and "currently the worst defensive player in the league" if he is not in the lineup. I'm not suggesting we close the conversation on the Captain, let's just frame the conversation in a more respectful atmosphere (thread), and one that reflects what we do moving forward, no matter what your opinion is on his future. IMO, he deserves that.