The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CANESPHAN-ch1

DISRESPECT DURING NATIONAL ANTHEM

I don't see what the big deal is. So what the guys left the line early. This isn't a big deal and there are a lot of things the league should be spending time and effort on before they spend a second on this.

then you've obviously never risked life and or limb for your country - I have a HUGE problem with this, as did my uncle. when he heard the "red", and saw players openly disrespecting the anthem of the country he recieved 3 purple hearts, 2 bronze stars, and a distinguished service cross (one step below the medal of honor) defending, he was highly offended.

It's not right, for sure, because if it was then more players would do it. But honestly, we have better things to be concerned with. When I see an American player do this, then I'll get upset.

I totally understand why people would feel disrespected by a player skating before our national anthem is finished, or at least before the last note of the song. If you feel like writing Bettman and Rutherford to voice your opinion, by all means, do it. But also understand that not everyone takes offense to it. I honestly doubt Federov (just using him as an example, not singling him out) starts skating to offend and/or disrespect the anthem or the fans or the country or anyone or thing. It could be as simple as he loves skating with the lights out and it pumps him up. I've seen players start skating at the "of" in "home of the brave" but that's so close to the end and the fans already start clapping and cheering by then anyway that I have zero problem with it.

Was Federov already skating at "land of the free" or sooner? Can someone honestly and confidently state when he (and the others) started skating during the anthem?

The only other thing I want to say is this: pick your battles. I'm personally more concerned about seeing coaches challenges, penalty reviews, and goalie interference reviews put into the game (or at least discussed at length by the powers that be) than worrying about a player skating towards the end of a national anthem, be it ours' or Canada's.

The NHL would be better served spending their energy on head shots and concussion problems that ruin players lives.
And this.

Yea i saw those Ottawa players starting to skate before the nation anthem was over it got my blood boiling. I dont really care for the whole 'Red' thing I usually dont do that when I am at a game. The 'O' shouted by caps fans is pretty stupid.

FYI it's because they're Orioles fans (I grew up watching both teams). Hope that explains the 'O'.

They actually talked about it on the hockey channel on XM today...We were at the last Caps game ( RBC ) and noticed one of thier players actually skating during the anthem.

We were kinda shocked.

I have no problems with "RED".

I would like to see one of the soldiers we honor during a stoppage come on just before the anthem(s) letting the fans know what the anthem means to them, that it honors those that have given their life for us, pssibly even friends of theirs that have died in the line of service so we can enjoy our freedom and safety here including the chance to come and enjoy this hockey game and to please not disrespect it. I doubt it would have any effect on the drunken slug fans though. Last year was appaling at how they made such a mockery of it.

And it's the Police Departments right to throw hand cuffs on you for assault! ;)

Then the people will see a uniformed service member arrested! I had to stand by and watch as people burn my flag and desecrate it in foreign countries, should I have to pay to watch it here?

What an unexpected firestorm here.

Paladin...I'm with you on this.

I think there is a much larger issue going on with this whole thing.

I'd love to see the age breakdown on those that want respect vs those that don't have a problem with it.

I think it would be very eye opening.

To me beyond the respect thing, it is a "class" thing...show some class people.

Then the people will see a uniformed service member arrested! I had to stand by and watch as people burn my flag and desecrate it in foreign countries, should I have to pay to watch it here?

Yea i saw those Ottawa players starting to skate before the nation anthem was over it got my blood boiling. I dont really care for the whole 'Red' thing I usually dont do that when I am at a game. The 'O' shouted by caps fans is pretty stupid.

Half of em were doing it for that pathetic MLB team they have up in the Baltimore area...I forget their name they're so bad.... ;)

But yes, I also agree. I hope this gets read by the higher ups, and that something is done about it. Maybe a fine each time a player does it, up to, and including a suspension if it KEEPS happening. :angry:

I'd love to see the age breakdown on those that want respect vs those that don't have a problem with it.

I think it would be very eye opening.

To me beyond the respect thing, it is a "class" thing...show some class people.

It takes time and some life experience to realize what should be stood up for. I remember some of the things I thought were important in my "early years". IMO everything that goes on in the world is not "OK" just because it does not appear to affect you directly.

Get married , have some kids, watch them begin to grow up and see how they develop their opinions of right and wrong in the world. It will change you.

OK off my soap box.

As an Army veteran (and a Canes fan), I've got no problem with yelling "Red" or "O" or players skating off five seconds before the end of the anthem. If you think this makes people somehow less patriotic then that's your opinion (albeit IMHO superficial). The USA runs much deeper than this...

We thought the Cap's fans were yelling O for Ovechkin rather than the Orioles. I thought that and yelling red were both disrespectful as was the guy that yelled "let's go Caps" about half way through. The fact remains that while some people feel more important than national anthems, this is a free country, and ,good or bad, that gives them the right to behave like idiots. My family and I respect all anthems, and feel fortunate to live in a country that has enough respect for other countries that they do play both anthems when a Canadian team is in town.

How about people walking around the concourse? Do the vendors stop selling when anthem is going? Does "The Eye" halt sales during this time? Why do some people think shouting during anthem is OK but someone skating is not? People interested in calling Bettman should also give Rutherford a call to stop the yelling of "Red" during the anthem.

The league should not get involved with this in anyway.

This thread has turned into a topical goulash.

In order..

1. Yes, it is disrespectful to begin skating during an anthem. No one should be forced to genuflect, salute, sing along, or pay attention.. but asking people to respectfully stand still is a baseline.

2. No, no one should be forced to remain still during the anthem. The basic nature of a free country is that some people will use that freedom to disrespect the very entities that gave it to them. They self-select as jerks, but people have to be free to be jerks or no one is free to be a respectful citizen.

2. Yes, you should contact the league if it bothers you. The freedom to express an opinion is one of the rights the anthem honors. I would think a reminder should be sent out to the players, in case this is simply something that has not been discussed recently.

3. Yes, yelling an individual word or phrase of the anthem is just as disrespectful as skating or talking during it. If you do not sing the entire thing, then you are attempting to modify the intent of the anthem in some sort of personal aggrandizement towards an individual team or area. The anthem belongs to all of us, not a 'red' team, or one with 'ram parts'.

4. No, you should not physically assault anyone disrespecting the anthem. Words are fought with words.. feel free to voice your displeasure, and to belittle them verbally. An actual attack would be far out of line.

5. No, veterans do not get a free pass on comment #4. Although someone who fought for our country certainly deserves the respect that should be shown to them, and would have much more verbal ammunition to use in chastising those who disrespect the anthem, the freedoms they fought for work both ways.

The players should hold the line during ANY national anthem. The fact it is the US anthem is not relevant to me. I felt the same way when the Rags fans booed O'Canada. It was classless and unbecoming of their franchise.

I think shouting the word "Red" is disrespectful also because it is being done with purposeful intent to be different than the normal anthem.

I have never had as much pride in the national anthem as when I once heard a classroom of kids with Downs Syndrome struggle through it. It was probably twice as long and had many misprounounced words than how it was written. But those kids tried with all their abilities and hearts to render it as intended.

If Federov needs to warm up, give them an extra minute before puck drop and the anthems. One of the things I have always liked about the NHL is the intent to honor all the nationalities represented.

As for Federov, I've personally always thought of him as classless so nothing he does suprises me.

Caniac, Onetimer, nice posts.

It always amazes me when those who have fought for or live with the benefits of liberty are offended by those who choose to use that right in a way opposite than that which they feel it should be used...but I digress.

If the other players on the team or the coach don't give them a hard time about it, I don't see it changing. A letter writing campaign might make a difference. It wouldn't hurt to have an extra warm up minute like Onetimer suggested.

I grew up on military bases and was taught to respect the anthem and the flag.. so much so that when the base flag was lowered at night and taps was played within earshot of us we would stop what we were doing until taps was over.

It does bother me that players skate away before the anthem(s) are over, and I also don't like the shouting of "red". From what I have noticed here and at other arenas, the number of players leaving the line before the end of the anthem is directly proportional to how long the singer feels they need to carry out the notes of the song.

Before anyone bashes me, I think our anthem singer has a great voice, but I think she sings the song too much like she is trying out for American Idol rather than singing it to honor our country. This happens at other arenas as well.... I personally think the song should be sung as written. Listen to a military band play the anthem sometime... it moves a pretty good clip. I think when sung, the anthem should move at the same clip. I HATE when anthem singers try to show that they can hold a note forever.

Just my $0.02... your thoughts and beliefs may differ.... and that is OK.

Cheers!

Alan

I think anything other than silence and complete attention is disrespectful. I don't care for the RED thing because I have 60 minutes of hockey that I can yell to my hearts content so it can't hurt to be quiet during the anthem. I think it would be better to yell RED or GO CANES just after the anthem was finished. I don't like to see players skating or doing anything else during the anthem.

If we are on the concourse and the anthem starts, my crew always stops and removes hats. It is amazing that a few fellow fans will do the same ONCE they see us standing there and they feel guilty. Most will walk right by. If I were running a concession, I would stop for the couple of minutes while this ceremony was taking place.

In defense of the people out on the concourse and in line at the concession stands, it is not always obvious that the anthem is being played. I would bet most of them aren't deliberately ignoring the anthem, they just haven't noticed that it is being played.

Actually, I don't know about that. Typically, I'm in my seat well before the anthem starts (usually right after the doors open, actually), but my most recent game, a couple buddies were running late, and they were my ride (Always great to have reliable friends, right? :lol: ). So we're rushing through the concourse to our seats, and it's really obvious when the anthem's going. The arena turns dark, you can hear Katherine's voice over the speakers, not to mention the TVs that are on almost every major concession area.

And I love the accusation that the only ones who don't mind the skating or the "Red" are youth. Because clearly, before their time, there was never any sort of protest against the country. No big movement lasting from...oh, let's say, most of the 60s and the early 70s. So really, this is the best thing to get up in arms about.

And obviously, no one's intentionally insulting or discrediting the work of the men and women who served. But you have to realize that a large reason why you served was to protect the citizen's right to yell "RED" or to skate around. You may not like it, but to attempt to suppress it seems counter intuitive.

Having attended MANY hockey games in Canada, I can tell you that the experience is the same here. Many players start skating near the end of the Canadian National anthem. I don't think it has anything to do with the anthem itself, just the fact that it is the second one played. The home anthem is always played last. I've seen many players (american AND canadian) that just don't respect the anthems of either country. As a side note, many FANS don't respect the anthems either. I've asked many people to remove their hats during both anthems, and they usually give me a "p1$$ off" look", but at least I tried.

Just my $.02

Do what you want but I find the behavior disgusting. I served 29 years in uniform and this arrogant disrespect makes me sick. If it doesn't bother you, it's obvious you've never served and watched good people die for what that song represents. I realize it's extremely inconvenient to stand still for a few minutes, but so is getting shot at and blown up defending what the song stands for. These guys get paid extremely good money to entertain and play a game (which I enjoy very much by the way), but show some respect for those who protect this freedom. When they lose a game they get dead. Rant over. <_<

I know it's already been said over and over again but just wanted to show my support behind ending the "Red" shout out during the national anthem. It's completly un-necessary, disrespectful and not even relevant when we're wearing our black uniforms (both games I've been to this season have been with the black ones). Just stop with it already. It's just like yelling "O" during the Anthem to celebrate a Russian player who doesn't even care about your country (Ovechkin/Capitals) Just don't do it.

All I can think about during any anthem is how lucky we are to be free. I think about that every single time, and CHOOSE to respect that fact as an individual. Yes, with eyes fixed on Old Glory, where I wouldn't even notice if someone left their place.

I'm thankful to have the choice to be silent, or for others to shout "Red" if they choose. For those that skate, wiggle, or stand tall - your free. For that be thankful. It may please me if you stayed longer, stood still, or remained silent, but not by intruding on your freedom.

For those that served - THANK YOU. That includes our brothers and sisters from Canada, who have stood with us fighting for freedom.

I know it's already been said over and over again but just wanted to show my support behind ending the "Red" shout out during the national anthem. It's completly un-necessary, disrespectful and not even relevant when we're wearing our black uniforms (both games I've been to this season have been with the black ones). Just stop with it already. It's just like yelling "O" during the Anthem to celebrate a Russian player who doesn't even care about your country (Ovechkin/Capitals) Just don't do it.

They were shouting "O" long before Ovechkin came around. It was for Olef Kolzig before him and the Orioles before that. Just like our "Red" shout started from the NC State basketball team. What uniform they're wearing is irrelevant. Red is one of the team colors, so it'll get shouted.

I'm surprised this thread popped up as quick as it did. Usually we'd have to go at least another couple days without hockey before the bickering over a subject we can't change.

Do what you want but I find the behavior disgusting. I served 29 years in uniform and this arrogant disrespect makes me sick. If it doesn't bother you, it's obvious you've never served and watched good people die for what that song represents. I realize it's extremely inconvenient to stand still for a few minutes, but so is getting shot at and blown up defending what the song stands for. These guys get paid extremely good money to entertain and play a game (which I enjoy very much by the way), but show some respect for those who protect this freedom. When they lose a game they get dead. Rant over. <_<

For many people, the song represents other things besides patriotism though. Have to keep that in mind especially for foreigners. Again, if I ever see an American player do this, then I'll get upset.

EDIT: And even for many Americans, the national anthem does not make one's heart swell with pride and joy. Just the way it is in today's world.

Well first is first thank u for serving and protecting this great country of ours. I am to young to be in the military, but I have lots of family who are serving and who have served in the military and fight over seas and I have been brought up to respect the anthem. I just dont understand why people and players cant stand still for a just a couple of minutes. The players had plenty of warm up time to skate and will have plenty of game time to skate. As for the fans we can shut our mouths(unless singing the anthem which is fine by me) and stand still when the anthem is playing we have plenty of time to yell and all that during the game.