The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
njdevils2003champs

Arena and Area Questions

Section 328/329 IMO is the best deal. You get to sit at the end where the Canes shoot twice and you get a good view of the entire arena from there. Also, that section is known for being energetic so thats what makes it great for me. As far as hotels go, there is one within walking distance of the arena. Its a Marriot I think. If you are looking for places to eat, on the weekend you are about half a mile from a pretty decent flea market. For nice dining though, head to downtown Raleigh (about a 5 minute drive). Places to check out: Hi-5 (a nice sports bar/restaurant), Bogart's for Jazz music and a nice dinner, The Flying Saucer for beer and excellent bar food (over 200 beers to choose from). If you want to shop check out Crabtree Mall on Glenwood Avenue (ten minutes away from the arena?). Theres also some good Asian restaurants there. Hope some of this helps.

I personally like 314/315. It's cheap, you're right under the goal horn, the view is good, and since you're a Devils fan, you'd be able to see them shoot twice.

I'd like the other end more 'cause the Canes shoot twice, but every time I've sat there they've lost. :ph34r:

The RBC Center, unfortunately, is not very close to any restaurants (within walking distance) and close to only one or two motels. Go to Google Maps and find the arena, type in "Motel" and it will locate them. Damon's will show up as the closest restaurant, but it closed about six months ago. The arena is surrounded by a football stadium, football practice fields, State Fairgrounds, etc., all public property that precludes private development. Also, there is no public transportation to the place, so you'll be restricted to a taxi or a rental car. Not at all like most downtown arenas in other cities. Sorry to have to report this, but that's the way it is.

As for where to sit, there really aren't any bad sight lines in the building. Like most arenas, the lower and closer you are to the ice, the "better" and more expensive the seats. I personally don't like the ends because of having to look through the netting. But lots of folks love the ends. You can go the seat selection feature on the Hurricanes home page (upper right) and see what the view is like from any section in the building. Check out the ones that have been suggested.

Taxi or anything is no problem. I am probably taking Amtrak in anyway. How is the city itself on game days?

No real difference between non-game days. The Amtrak station is not in the best of neighborhoods. Not dangerous though. The Ramada Inn on Blue Ridge Road is the closest hotel that is within walking distance of the RBC Center.

I thought Raleigh was in one of the safes cities in the US. :unsure:

Not sure what he means by not safest as I don't know the stops, the only area in Raleigh to avoid if you can help it is southeast Raleigh :unsure: but the arena is on the other side of the city. Avoid Durham though ;):P

Colliefan is a bit misleading, I think. The Amtrak station is in SE downtown Raleigh in the middle of what's known as the Warehouse District. It's an area of old light industry and warehouses that are being converted into clubs, restaurants, and bars. On first glance, it might not look like the best place around, but it isn't unsafe at all. Just north of it is the Glenwood South District, a trendy area hopping at night. One of the former Canes lives in a condo there and operates his own nightclub. Ichigo is right; don't do to SE Raleigh after dark. But you can easily avoid the area, as it's off the path you'll be on. Based on your arrival by train and not having a problem with taxis or rentals, you might want to stay in one of the downtown Raleigh hotels. The Sheraton on Fayetteville Street is nice, close to the Amtrak, and withing walking distance of lots of nice downtown restaurants and bars. Cafe Luna, Yancey's, The Big Easy, The Raleigh Times, and several more are worth trying. These are places the big politicos hit when in town. Al Gore at Cafe Luna and Barack Obama at The Raleigh Times during recent campaigns.

The Comfort Suites motel is definitely closest to the RBC Center with the Ramada Inn Blue Ridge next closest. Both are within walking distance. Good luck.

You will enjoy going to a Canes' game. As to relocation, most of those in the area are transplants for another locale. This November it will be 25 years since I moved here from Tampa, The area has changed considerably in those years. It has lost a good deal of its small city nature but still is a good place to call home.

You will enjoy going to a Canes' game. As to relocation, most of those in the area are transplants for another locale. This November it will be 25 years since I moved here from Tampa, The area has changed considerably in those years. It has lost a good deal of its small city nature but still is a good place to call home.

I usually vacation on the Outer Banks every year and comparing it from 95 when I first went to last year, I know what you mean. Considerable difference and development.

If you take the Amtrak, go to Cary. This stop is actually closer to the RBC and a nicer area. There is restaurants nearby the station. The Comforrt Suites is across from the arena. As far as seating it's whatever you want to pay for. No bad seat in the house. You will find that people tailgate before and after games. Also this is the LOUDEST house in the NHL.

If I cant see a Devils/Canes game, its no biggie to me. I just want to try a new game experience and check out the area for possible relocation for me in the future. :)

Well, I think I have been lurking here for about 8 months now, so I figured I would chime in. Some friends and I did the reverse of your road trip last year. We took Amtrak to Washington for one Canes game then on to Newark for the Canes/Devils game the next night (yeah, the one where you spanked us 7-1) :angry:

Anyway, all the suggestions made above are valid. There really isn't a bad seat in the arena, it just depends on how close you want to be. I did notice that the upper levels at The Rock are quite a bit steeper than the upper levels at the RBC center. When traveling on Amtrak, keep in mind that south of Washington, CSX owns the tracks so all the freight trains have the right of way. Make sure you have plenty of time between arrival and game time. On our return trip from NJ, we were on time leaving Washington, but got to Raleigh 4.5 hours late. The suggestion on using the Cary stop is good too. (Thats where I come and go from on Amtrak)

I live in Durham, so I have little experience with the nightlife in Raleigh, but what experience I do have echoes what has already been said. If you are going to be here for a few days, you might consider renting a car for while you are here. Cabs here aren't as plentiful as they are in Newark.

Anyway, I hope you can see the Devils here, hockey road trips are always a blast. Everyone at the Rock was quite gracious to us when we visited, so I will extend the same... drop me a line if you do come, we will invite you over for tailgating.

Cheers!

Alan

The Train station is OK and not in that bad of neighborhood. You can eat a $60 meal 50 yards from the train station in 2 different restaurants so it is not that bad. No big deal. Plus if you take a taxi from there, no big deal when 100 people get off the train. There will be families there. My suggestion is you don't want to go to Cary as there is nothing there. Stay in a hotel there and that is what you will have. A hotel room.

I suggest staying at the Clarion in downtown Raleigh. Or the Days Inn downtown. Then either take a taxi or look at the Cat bus system to get somewhat close to the arena. It is not that far but I dont think there is a bus stop near the arena, especially coming back.

The reason why I mention those 2 hotels is you can stay there and walk to bars and restaurants near by. More bars than you can drink at. Actually, the Clarion is about 6 blocks away from the train station and it is safe enough. You can see the Clarion from the train station. It is the round hotel.

Best seats? all seats are good.

Stay downtown Raleigh and not in Suburbia if you want to spend more than 3 hours in Raleigh.

I also agree with the person who talked about the delays. So true about south of DC train tracks and the delays with freight trains and if a signal is out. DC to Boston are fine and owned by Amtrak. Below DC, not the case.

Well, I think I have been lurking here for about 8 months now, so I figured I would chime in. Some friends and I did the reverse of your road trip last year. We took Amtrak to Washington for one Canes game then on to Newark for the Canes/Devils game the next night (yeah, the one where you spanked us 7-1) :angry:

Anyway, all the suggestions made above are valid. There really isn't a bad seat in the arena, it just depends on how close you want to be. I did notice that the upper levels at The Rock are quite a bit steeper than the upper levels at the RBC center. When traveling on Amtrak, keep in mind that south of Washington, CSX owns the tracks so all the freight trains have the right of way. Make sure you have plenty of time between arrival and game time. On our return trip from NJ, we were on time leaving Washington, but got to Raleigh 4.5 hours late. The suggestion on using the Cary stop is good too. (Thats where I come and go from on Amtrak)

I live in Durham, so I have little experience with the nightlife in Raleigh, but what experience I do have echoes what has already been said. If you are going to be here for a few days, you might consider renting a car for while you are here. Cabs here aren't as plentiful as they are in Newark.

Anyway, I hope you can see the Devils here, hockey road trips are always a blast. Everyone at the Rock was quite gracious to us when we visited, so I will extend the same... drop me a line if you do come, we will invite you over for tailgating.

Cheers!

Alan

Alan:

My friend and I did the same two games. We actually had friends that we stayed with in DC and in NJ. That's to funny. We did meet some other great Canes fans on the both game nights and have kept in touch with them throughout the season. We are planning another trip this year. We were hoping to see a Pens/Flyers game in one weekend, but I don't know if that will happen. Either way we are making it a tradition now to do a yearly road trip. We have friends in Atlanta that we can go down for the weekend and stay and see a Thrashers game. Then I'm from Florida so I have family in St. Pete so we can always go and catch a Tampa Bay/Canes game one weekend too.

Back to the original question at hand. I have sat in every area of the arena and I can tell you there is not a bad seat in the house. You will love it no matter where you sit. Our season tickets are center ice 3rd level and we love them. Then we buy extra tickets, cheap seats to the games we want to see. We live a hour and a half away and so we only get a mini game plan. The fans are crazy loyal and we love our Canes. But we are very nice and will welcome any opponent to come and hang with us while we are tailgating. If you can handle a little knit picking from time to time. No the Canes have been quoted several times saying how much they love to see their fans tailgating.

Once you come to one game you will be hooked and I'm sure if you relocate down here it will be no time before you are converted to a Hurricanes fan.

Best of luck and let us know when you are coming.

Shannon

Once you come to one game you will be hooked and I'm sure if you relocate down here it will be no time before you are converted to a Hurricanes fan.

Best of luck and let us know when you are coming.

Shannon

I'm not sure about converted to the Canes. :)

I just hope that I am able to go. But I will either way, let everyone know.

I'm not sure about converted to the Canes. :)

I just hope that I am able to go. But I will either way, let everyone know.

You never know it could happen! :lol:

Yes definitely let us know. I bought Brodeur's shirt while we were up there. I have nothing but respect for him. And now that you have Holik and Rolston your team should be interesting to watch.

Take Care!

If that was the game on President's Day, I was at that game.

Once you come to one game you will be hooked.

Shannon

I work at a pharmacy and had a customer come in with a Canes shirt on... anyway we end up talking about hockey and it turns out he use to be a video review judge for the Islanders. They actually happened to be playing each other that night and he was cheering for the Canes! So in short, I agree with the above quote!

I work at a pharmacy and had a customer come in with a Canes shirt on... anyway we end up talking about hockey and it turns out he use to be a video review judge for the Islanders. They actually happened to be playing each other that night and he was cheering for the Canes! So in short, I agree with the above quote!

Islanders fans have little to cheer about in general. :)