The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Wolfer

Does Maurice have the team's pulse?

Well i'm not sure if its Mo,,,Ron,,Or Tom, or the players buying into the system, but since the beginning of March the team seems to have a more positive attitude.They don't get down if they are a goal or 2 down,they just battle back. You almost get the same feeling you did back in 06 when the guys never gave up and neither did we as fans. You just had the feeling the it didn't matter that we were down by a few goals or the calls were going against us.We were going to make a comeback or at least make a game of it.So whether its knowing the teams pulse or what ,,it sure seems to be working down the stretch. I'm really not sure at this point of the season if any complaints can be made about the coaching staff @ all!!!

Well i'm not sure if its Mo,,,Ron,,Or Tom, or the players buying into the system, but since the beginning of March the team seems to have a more positive attitude.They don't get down if they are a goal or 2 down,they just battle back. You almost get the same feeling you did back in 06 when the guys never gave up and neither did we as fans. You just had the feeling the it didn't matter that we were down by a few goals or the calls were going against us.We were going to make a comeback or at least make a game of it.So whether its knowing the teams pulse or what ,,it sure seems to be working down the stretch. I'm really not sure at this point of the season if any complaints can be made about the coaching staff @ all!!!

Jokinen said this was the most positive thinking team he had ever been on.

Jokinen said this was the most positive thinking team he had ever been on.

He's not the first one to say something like that...Was it Corvo last year that mentioned how well prepared the coaching staff here gets the team for games? Which was not even close to what you get in Ottawa, a Canadian team that is a supposed hot bed for good hockey. :blink:

Hmmm...i thought when you want to make the playoffs you start ur best goalie every night...or am i wrong? And ive seen no ill effects on cam, he actually looks better every game

Hope Manwolf doesnt mind me interrupting his thread, but this picture is just screaming for a picture caption:

maurice_angry_getty_400.jpg

Paul Maurice: "Get me out of Toronto!!!! I want my life back!!!"

Jason Blake: "Take me with you"

Matts Sundin: "I'll wait till the trade dealine to decide"

Woman behind Mo: "Well, there goes another coach"

Guy top right: "Cant believe it took him this long to blow"

Guy top right: My hair piece is falling off.

.... You almost get the same feeling you did back in 06 when the guys never gave up and neither did we as fans. You just had the feeling the it didn't matter that we were down by a few goals or the calls were going against us.We were going to make a comeback or at least make a game of it.So whether its knowing the teams pulse or what ,,it sure seems to be working down the stretch. I'm really not sure at this point of the season if any complaints can be made about the coaching staff @ all!!!

You're right about that come-from-behind feeling. I guess coaching doesn't matter, or at best is over-rated (since he wasn't the coach then).

Doesn't matter since it's all good at present.

There's nothing wrong with Mo. JR made changes when he had to. But the Canes have been to the finals before with Maurice and with, IMO, less skill overall than we have now. I'm happy and content right now as a long time season ticket holder (well, as long as the Canes have been here). Yes, he has the team's pulse.

*cough* Tony Dungy *cough*

Personally I like that Maurice maintains a consistently calm demeanor, but I (can't remember what game) saw him absolutely blow up towards the end of a very close game over a month ago and the boys went on to win. Getting angry (read: not panicked) at every or even a portion of blown calls will get the team nowhere. Staying calm and believing that a blown call isn't going to decide the game is the approach I would prefer. He can keep his emotional response to a blown call or horrible play up his sleeve - a calm coach blowing up will have a more powerful affect on a team than a coach who routinely does so. You also don't want to walk out of a building with a loss and blame it on a blown call or something outside of your control - put the blame on yourselves (coaches + team) and learn from it. Plus, none of us on here have any idea what it's like in the locker room. I can only imagine that if we make playoffs, we'll see a more animated Coach Mo in the tougher games.

I liked Lavi's appropriate eruptions but I also appreciate and prefer Mo's calmness.