The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CardiacCane

compared to 05-06

No. There's no way this team is better than the 05/06 team. Just look at the record, the standings, the level of play.

Although, comparing this team to the 05/06 team is almost like comparing apples and oranges. The league has changed, the other teams have changed. The 05/06 team was a team built for "New NHL" playing in the "New NHL". This year's team started out as a "New NHL" team very much out of touch with the changes that the league has undergone, just like the teams of the past 2 years. The coaching change has left some of that approach, but has definitely curbed some negative things (defense by commitee, reckless forechecking (forwards) and pinching (d-men), etc..).

Was lethal in the postseason...idk if that's what he meant lol.

Yea he probably did. Couldn't find the exact number but I think our PP shot up to the mid 20% during the playoffs. It's still kinda hard to use that as a comaprison though, considering we are not even in the playoffs yet. An interesting tidbit is that under Lavi's last 25 games we only managed a 12.8% PP while under MO and Ron, our PP has been above 20% last I checked.

Brind'Amour is playing far better than earlier this year, but not like he played that year, and we had more weapons that year with Weight and Recci just putting us over the top.

You are right I forgot about these guys coming on board in the final stages of the season

I think it's hard to compare based on the regular season. Some players really shine when placed in a pressure situation. For example, Ward has been slightly better than average so far this year, but watching him play in juniors, and watching him now, one thing has always stood out. If you put more pressure on him, he plays better. whether in Red Deer, or our 06 run, once you got him into the playoffs, he was hard to beat.

Other players (Sami Kapanen comes to mind) absolutely disappear when the pressure builds.

Some players on our current roster have proven themselves to be capable of handling the pressure, others are still in question (Ruutu has never played in an NHL playoff game, and The jury's still out on Samsonov.)

Our playoff success (provided we make it) will hinge on how our team and it's players react to the playoff environment.

Yea he probably did. Couldn't find the exact number but I think our PP shot up to the mid 20% during the playoffs. It's still kinda hard to use that as a comaprison though, considering we are not even in the playoffs yet. An interesting tidbit is that under Lavi's last 25 games we only managed a 12.8% PP while under MO and Ron, our PP has been above 20% last I checked.

I actually didnt realize they were middle of the pack during the regular season PP wise in 05-06 but I knew they were converting regularly in the playoffs with many analysts labeling it as a major key to their success. I will say that if the current team can pull the same feat off we may see similar results from 05-06.

The 2006 team had more depth. We've added names like Corvo, Pitkanen, and Samsonov since then, but the '06 team was still deeper.

HOWEVER, this year's team is playing MUCH better down the stretch than the 2006 team did, which had a few struggles to finish out the regular season.

That team got it done when it counted, though. Let's hope the current team can carry the momentum through four rounds of the playoffs. Like they say, you don't hang banners in March.

IMO it is too early to compare because we have not even made the playoffs yet. Yes, in 06 we won our division but our division has got much stronger since then. I think this is a good thing because tougher games in our own division can only help us should we reach the playoffs. I still believe anything can happen if you make it. I would rate Cam over any of the other goalies other than Marty. We just need to keep rolling so we can test the playoff metal of this team.

One key element that made that '05-'06 team better than the team currently, and it's someone I'm surprised no one else has mentioned, is Cory Stillman. While I supported the deal that sent him to Ottawa, the Hurricanes still haven't found anyone close to a replacement in terms of play-making ability. Although he was over-shadowed by Staal and Ward, Stillman also took his game to another level in the playoffs as well.

One key element that made that '05-'06 team better than the team currently, and it's someone I'm surprised no one else has mentioned, is Cory Stillman. While I supported the deal that sent him to Ottawa, the Hurricanes still haven't found anyone close to a replacement in terms of play-making ability. Although he was over-shadowed by Staal and Ward, Stillman also took his game to another level in the playoffs as well.

Stillman was great but wasnt playing well his last season here before the trade. He was slow and nursing injuries that hampered his play. Hes doing great in Florida and I loved the guy here but I like our 1st line as it stands now better.

I do think that this team we've seen the last month is better than the Cup team. The whole season, not so much. Defense is way more mobile and plays a smart team game, the offense is scoring at a good clip right now to rival the 06 team. Goaltending has been solid but now has that playoff proven factor, and the special teams have picked up to a solid rate. When Cullen is healthy, thay can roll 3 scoring lines with a tough energy line who can wreak some havoc when needed.

Again, only comparing this current team to the 06 team. The 06 team had consistency for most of season and was able to regroup when they hit a long rut heading into the playoffs. The current team has had to battle all year for every inch and knows exactly what it takes to keep up the intensity.

In the end, we'll see how far the current team goes. If they can keep up their level of play, it could be a long ride.

It is great to see how the mood on the board has changed. What a difference a couple of months make.

I want to say that while I agree that the Hurricanes did the figure out the new rules thing, that cliche' is overblown. Yes, more clutching and grabbing and crosschecking has crept back in, but many aspects of the new NHL are still there. The defensman still must hit or let the guy go, there are still a lot of hooking and interference calls that would not have been called pre-lock out. The attacking zones are bigger, two line passes are still allowed, etc. A fast, high powered team can still win the cup.

As for this team vs. the 06 team. Yes, we have improved our offensive output from the blueline and that has made us more balanced this year, but that 06 team had incredibly deep forward scorers. Guys who scored points before the lockout and after.

Check out who played on that team:

Goals/Points

Williams 31/76

Staal 45/100

Whitney 20/65*

Brindy 31/70

Cole 30/59

Stillman 21/76

Recci 28/63

Weight 20/60*

Cullen 25/49

* adjusted for estimated full season

I know that these guys were in and out. But we had three lines with 9 guys who were legitimate 20 goal scorers, and 5 legit 30+ goal scores. That's nuts.

Finally look at that line up and despite Rod playing MUCH better now, the man had 31 goals that year in addition to a Selke.

I love the way this team is playing and we may accomplish great things, but to put these guys with the 06 team is a bit premature.

Even Kevyn Adams had 15 goals (and craig 10) that year playing the 4th line.

I think the offensive defensemen make up for the weaker forward group, but who are the rocks on defense?

Gleason/Corvo/Pitkanen are serviceable, but nowhere near the Ward/Wesley/Wallin/Commodore group in terms of killing penalties and protecting our net.

Would take Ruutu over Rechi

Samsanov over Weight

Do you think Larose is a better player then 06

Cole didn't play most of the playoffs so is n'twiiliams and cole a wash

Eaves, walker over adams brothers

Corvo, pitkanen, gleason over kaberle, ward, commadore

also we have depth at forward with Jokinen

Do you think our goaltending is stronger this year.

I ask myself all these questions and I'm not sure if we aren't just as good as the cup year. I do think the league is better so it wll be tougher to win in the playoffs. 06 all the pieces fell into place, can we get hot at the right time and make some noise in the playoffs

lets see how the puck bounces off ward,,if lady luck put the rebounds to the side instead of right in front of the net,,we'll be alright. luck will play a roll in the out come of the season and the play offs ,,,,please lets not give too many break aways to the other teams..

It is great to see how the mood on the board has changed. What a difference a couple of months make.

I want to say that while I agree that the Hurricanes did the figure out the new rules thing, that cliche' is overblown. Yes, more clutching and grabbing and crosschecking has crept back in, but many aspects of the new NHL are still there. The defensman still must hit or let the guy go, there are still a lot of hooking and interference calls that would not have been called pre-lock out. The attacking zones are bigger, two line passes are still allowed, etc. A fast, high powered team can still win the cup.

As for this team vs. the 06 team. Yes, we have improved our offensive output from the blueline and that has made us more balanced this year, but that 06 team had incredibly deep forward scorers. Guys who scored points before the lockout and after.

Check out who played on that team:

Goals/Points

Williams 31/76

Staal 45/100

Whitney 20/65*

Brindy 31/70

Cole 30/59

Stillman 21/76

Recci 28/63

Weight 20/60*

Cullen 25/49

* adjusted for estimated full season

I know that these guys were in and out. But we had three lines with 9 guys who were legitimate 20 goal scorers, and 5 legit 30+ goal scores. That's nuts.

Finally look at that line up and despite Rod playing MUCH better now, the man had 31 goals that year in addition to a Selke.

I love the way this team is playing and we may accomplish great things, but to put these guys with the 06 team is a bit premature.

Our current D has 40 goals and well over a hundred assists. It's a different team. I believe this team can go deep. They have been playing playoff teams down the stretch with success.

If he wouldn't play with the puck SOO much Samsonov could be that player...some times it seems like he jukes him self out of the puck!

I think our team is close to that level of play when we won in 06. I had a feeling we would get erik cole back when he was traded. I think that he was the missing link now our chemistry throughout all four lines is shot up.

:huh: Well... I, personally, believe that paper-wise we've got the guys that can match up with that team ("I'd take blah over blah and I'd take blah over blah.") If they can play up to their paper-potential, I think they'll do great. I still don't like it that we don't have a legit, dangerous fourth line that WILL score goals on you. :\

I can't believe this is a question. We haven't made the playoffs yet and we are comparing this team to the cup team? Lets see what happens and then lets compare.

Agreed. We haven't even made the playoffs yet!

The points are so close 5th-9th that it still likely we could be out again this year.

As others have said we just need to wait and see how we do for the rest of the regular season we shouldn't be gettting to a head of ourselves here we still have 5 important regular season games to go.