The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
micheelob

Ward is average at best!

I said this elsewhere but I'll say it again: Ward is being over-played. He did well earlier in the season for a good stretch of games. Now he is, as you said, average at best. He needs a back up he can rely on. And if Leighton isn't going to be able to provide that spend some damn money and get someone who can. Give the guy some games off and I think he will be able to stay consistent.

Well...here we go again folks. I am just as disappointed in tonights win as everyone else, but why do we always need to bash somebody for it every time we go on a losing streak. Will bringing Tripp down from the booth and putting him between the pipes make everyone happy?

Well...here we go again folks. I am just as disappointed in tonights win as everyone else, but why do we always need to bash somebody for it every time we go on a losing streak. Will bringing Tripp down from the booth and putting him between the pipes make everyone happy?

I actually would have liked that. The other team would have soon realized however that putting hot women in the front row distracts Tripp and they would begin to implement this strategy to win games.

it blows me away that you guys bash ward so easily. I just dont get it. He is a good goalie. Give aways, odd man rushes, screen shots, you try stopping those. He let in one softy tonight, big deal. I dont see any threads started here that said "great job by ward tonight" when he was standing on his head during our little win streak. Wards fine

it blows me away that you guys bash ward so easily. I just dont get it. He is a good goalie. Give aways, odd man rushes, screen shots, you try stopping those. He let in one softy tonight, big deal. I dont see any threads started here that said "great job by ward tonight" when he was standing on his head during our little win streak. Wards fine

I agree and if the team that played in the third period showed up for the 1st and 2nd periods, his giving up 1 soft goal wouldnt matter. Yes, the timing was bad but it wouldnt have cost them the game.

I have to disagree,,Cam gave up at least 2 softies last nite if not 3. So yes i think Cam IS average @ best...He really hasn't gotten much better in the 2 1/2 seasons since the cup year. Eventually he may become a true 1st goalie but right now he is not.IMO

I have to disagree,,Cam gave up at least 2 softies last nite if not 3. So yes i think Cam IS average @ best...He really hasn't gotten much better in the 2 1/2 seasons since the cup year. Eventually he may become a true 1st goalie but right now he is not.IMO

And where exactly was the rest of the team when that happened? Im not saying Cam doesnt deserve any blame but him and Ruutu were the only ones playing in the second period.

Cam has strecthes of solid play, but also major inconsistant periods like the last three games. It seems like this may just be who he is and really is a reflection of the team. Hey, the front office has shown no desire to bring on anyone to really help Cam carry the load so I guess we will have to live with it. Funny they give Staal superstar money and they ignore the most important position on the ice. But it is ok, Staal shows up about every third game.

And where exactly was the rest of the team when that happened? Im not saying Cam doesnt deserve any blame but him and Ruutu were the only ones playing in the second period.

At what point will Cam take this team on his shoulders and prove that HE IS our last line of defense!(NOT THE BACK OF THE NET) So yes the rest of the team ,minus a few players wern't much better, but Cam also has to make those big stops to keep us in the game. Those soft goals really deflate a team.

At what point will Cam take this team on his shoulders and prove that HE IS our last line of defense!(NOT THE BACK OF THE NET) So yes the rest of the team ,minus a few players wern't much better, but Cam also has to make those big stops to keep us in the game. Those soft goals really deflate a team.

Probably about the same time that one of the "leaders" on the team put the team on their back and buries some chances too.

Cam is a good goalie with great skills, way above average skills. His main problem is his mental state. He plays well when he has confidence in the team in front of him. Three games before yesterday sent his confidence level down to hell, the cluster*** in first and second periods yesterday didn't help the situation.

Ward is a true no 1 NHL goalie skill wise. He will be true no 1 mentally, as of right now team has to play in front of him to get him going. Hockey is a team sport. I don't blame Ward for yesterday's loss at all.

Probably about the same time that one of the "leaders" on the team put the team on their back and buries some chances too.

True there TSA,,but i'm not sure we have anyone willing to do it?

Cam is a good goalie with great skills, way above average skills. His main problem is his mental state. He plays well when he has confidence in the team in front of him. Three games before yesterday sent his confidence level down to hell, the cluster in first and second periods yesterday didn't help the situation.

I listened to Luongo's interview from last night's loss in Vanouver and he said almost the same thing. He took responsibility for not playing well and said when the team is playing a tight defense in front of him, its up to him to be that last line of defense. If the team is playing lazy defense in front of him, then everything suffers because they're not working together and actually fighting each other.

*Im sure I got some of his words wrong but point is the same.

ok people here is my two cents (and no its not because my name is WardCaniac that I am defending Cam)

I think when the team shows a lack luster effort in front of Cam, he has a bad game just like they do. He cant be the savior every freakin time, he needs help from the guys in front of him, that is why its called a TEAM. One player is not responsible for the outcome. Yes Cam is the one who keeps the pucks out of the net but when the guys are not giving him any help, he can have a bad game just like the rest of the team. It can not be on his shoulders to pull the rest of the teams heads out of their backsides every single game. He has been outstanding lately, up until the past couple of games. He is only human, mistakes happen.

I dont think cam is to blame for last nights loss. The whole team was not there in the 1st and 2nd periods they were hanging there heads and just no energy except from the few that always bring the energy ruttu and cullen and couple others played there butts off. Staal needs to bring his A game every night and period not just 1. Ward was okay last night but the wrap around should have never got there Pitkanen was not doing his job blake should have been put into the boards. I saw on that the defense had trouble clearing the puck and we didnt get physical either. They pushed us around from the get go we need brookbank back to get grittyness out there gleason was not 100 percent so he was alittle conservitive. If we play every period like the start of the 3rd we will win some games. We need to shake the team alittle and show if you dont put out you will be gone or put on a lower line. I also think we need to leave ruttu and staal and samsanov together they clearly work great together. I think on the Cam deal just stop trying to talk bad about him when we lose but when we win he is the best goalie in the nhl.

Cam has been average or much worse for the better part of two seasons now. He's got to steal a win occasionally, but he's not capable. And just like the entire rest of the team, he's either extremely unmotivated or underskilled. But two or three softies last night, was the difference between a "W" and an "L".

Cam Ward is a good Goalie. There have been recent games where the team has turned the puck over and he's been the stopper. At other times they turned it over and the opponent scored (several times vs. Ottawa).

Now for the Leafs game. After letting in some soft ones, there was a moment when the puck came off the backboards slowly. He gloved it for a stoppage, and then.....there were a few derisive cheers.

Now fans, that is way uncalled for. I was embarrassed for the fans and club at that moment. In no way does he deserve that.

I've been rough on Ward over the last two seasons, but this year had had been playing better. Every goalie goes through rough patches and Ward (and the rest of the team) are in one now. Those soft goals do cost games, but we were down 1-0 in the second period to an inferior team at a time where we needed a win and we came out and stunk the place up. Not pretty and not all on Ward.

Cam has kept us in many games this year. It is way too early to start bashing him. Put Leighton in there for a couple of games and Cam will come back chomping at the bit.

There are serious problems with the team right now, but I am not ready to put Cam at the top of the list.

Its comments like this that get me going, I just dont understand, are you not watching every game. He makes some unreal saves, so yes he keeps us in the games, hes not perfect, but who is? You can tell he got frustrated when he broke his stick in the ottawa game, i bet he was frustrated because the TEAM was playing horrible in front of him.

Cam has been average or much worse for the better part of two seasons now. He's got to steal a win occasionally, but he's not capable. And just like the entire rest of the team, he's either extremely unmotivated or underskilled. But two or three softies last night, was the difference between a "W" and an "L".

Cam Ward is not an elite goalie, at least not yet. However he is among the best IMO in the league right now. At the beginning of the season I said Cam had to step up to the next level and make big saves and since he has returned from his injury he has. I'll admit he does appear to lose focus and fall back into some bad habits from time to time. Last night a couple of goals got by that shouldn't have but for most of the night he was out there on his own. The team in front of him was awful.

I also agree with at least one other on this thread that said Ward needs to be rested. Probable every fourth or fifth game. He has kept us in several games this year and his efforts have stolen a few games for us. No... Ward isn't the best in the NHL but he is pretty solid. Our forward lines are the problem...not Cam

Cam Ward is not an elite goalie, at least not yet. However he is among the best IMO in the league right now. At the beginning of the season I said Cam had to step up to the next level and make big saves and since he has returned from his injury he has. I'll admit he does appear to lose focus and fall back into some bad habits from time to time. Last night a couple of goals got by that shouldn't have but for most of the night he was out there on his own. The team in front of him was awful.

I also agree with at least one other on this thread that said Ward needs to be rested. Probable every fourth or fifth game. He has kept us in several games this year and his efforts have stolen a few games for us. No... Ward isn't the best in the NHL but he is pretty solid. Our forward lines are the problem...not Cam

to me it seems his con smyth/stanley cup playoff run was the only consistent good play i remember him playing, even then he had a couple of bad games and got pulled or didn't start. i do not remember being impressed with him at all that season in his back up role. Since, the , playoffs he really has not done much either. sure, he makes some good saves, but he is a professional goalie he is suppose to. every goalie in the league makes good saves every night. the problem is all the soft goals he lets up. how many times during a game do you hear tripp say "he wishes he could have that one back" "that was a bad goal" "he should of had that one" etc... i know there is a lot of emotional attachment to him because of the stanley cup, but it is time to move on. ward is a good back up goalie. he is not a number one, not yet anyway. i am sure most people will disagree with me, but this is just my opinion. an average goal tender will at least keep you in a game. maybe there not always going to win you the game, but at least keep them in it. ward isn't even doing that lately. the canes need to get a goalie that will help keep them in the game even if the team in front of him is not playing there best.

Be nice if the team could score goals so ward doesnt have to look bad.Im not ripping the guy I would love to see what he could do with a real team in front of him every night. I know is this team needs some changes NOW!

I have always hoped that Ward would prove that he was an elite goaltender in the NHL. I just don't see it. Tonight's loss is on him................and Gleason for the dang high sticking penalty!

I think that Ward is kinda on the same path as Miller as far as improvement goes. Yes, Miller didn't play much until he was 25 but he is currently 28 and going on 29. Cam is about to have his 25th birthday. I don't think that you can judge a late first rounder on his first five seasons being shoved into a starting job at 22. Also, look at Nabokov. He didn't have a starting job until he was 25 and just had his best season last year at age 32. Last year he had 46 wins and was a candidate for the Vezina Trophy as league's best goaltender. However, he was also a 9th-round pick, so you don't expect much from a ninth-rounder. Maybe we are just expecting too much from him because we chose him 25th overall and he won the Conn Smythe trophy in helping us (a lot!) in winning the Stanley Cup in 2006. I don't know. I do think that part of this season is on his shoulders, as it is for any other goaltender, but he can't do it all on his own, and maybe he just isn't ready to play 70 games in a season; but, that's just my opinion.