The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
micheelob

Ward is average at best!

I myself don't think anyone here is really a Cam hater as much as there are alot of people with very high expectations for Cam! When that happens you feel very dissapointed in his eratic play! Its hard to start off winning the CUP and MVP trophy in your 1st full season and not have people expecting that every year. So i know alot of people want to give it to the so called "CAM HATERS" but i really don't think there are that many of them,(IMO) Now that Cam & us as fans have dropped back to reality we all have to realize how young he is. I myself will put alot on Cam but when your a PRO that just comes with the territory! I'm sure everyone here wants Cam to do great but sometimes as a fan you get dissapointed/disgruntled or whatever you want to call it.

So i guess from time to time some of us may seems like "Cam Haters" but we aren't, we're "Cam Frustrators" ;)

As said before, he's 24. He definitely has the potential to to be in the top 10 in the NHL, but he needs more time. I'm surprised that no one has taken the Miller story to heart here, considering our rivalry. If it weren't for Miller, I think we would have had a different game in Buffalo the other night. Now Miller is what, four years older than Cam? Look back at Miller's early years and they are right in line with Cam. Now, some may disagree, fine, but Miller is a solid netminder and has the potential to be a great one. Give Cam a chance and I think he'll turn out just fine. Not too many goaltenders can be stellar from the start to the end of their career, and even less start out great.

As said before, he's 24. He definitely has the potential to to be in the top 10 in the NHL, but he needs more time. I'm surprised that no one has taken the Miller story to heart here, considering our rivalry. If it weren't for Miller, I think we would have had a different game in Buffalo the other night. Now Miller is what, four years older than Cam? Look back at Miller's early years and they are right in line with Cam. Now, some may disagree, fine, but Miller is a solid netminder and has the potential to be a great one. Give Cam a chance and I think he'll turn out just fine. Not too many goaltenders can be stellar from the start to the end of their career, and even less start out great.

I think u nailed it right on the head.

Miller is currently an 11 to 15 goalie in the league, 13 in SV% and 15 in GAA. It's a good comparison for Cam and where he is likely to be in 4 years. This is where I expect Ward to be during the prime of his career.

The main point of discussion in this thread has been Cam and his potential. I would not dispute that he has potential to be better than average and expect him to be so in the years to come. However, judging based on what he has actually produced to date during regular season play, he is average. That is where his current numbers stand. I wonder how this thread would read if it was about Patrick Eaves' potential and development rather than Cam Ward who is both blessed and cursed for having won the Conn Smythe so young. (The Eaves thread is mostly about how he does not fit the Canes - very different. Point being that both Ward and Eaves have been considered high potential early in their careers with inconsistent successes yet are treated differently by fans.)

Miller is currently an 11 to 15 goalie in the league, 13 in SV% and 15 in GAA. It's a good comparison for Cam and where he is likely to be in 4 years. This is where I expect Ward to be during the prime of his career.

The main point of discussion in this thread has been Cam and his potential. I would not dispute that he has potential to be better than average and expect him to be so in the years to come. However, judging based on what he has actually produced to date during regular season play, he is average. That is where his current numbers stand. I wonder how this thread would read if it was about Patrick Eaves' potential and development rather than Cam Ward who is both blessed and cursed for having won the Conn Smythe so young. (The Eaves thread is mostly about how he does not fit the Canes - very different. Point being that both Ward and Eaves have been considered high potential early in their careers with inconsistent successes yet are treated differently by fans.)

By what criteria are we judging performance? The NHL shows a total of 77 goaltender, of which 44 are considered active. They place Miller #4 and Ward #9 when they determine ranking by summary of statistics up through 1/21/2009. They rank Miller #18 and Ward #19 in GA and #16 and #21 respectively in Sv%.

If there are 44 goalies that qualify statistically, Cam's lowest rank is in Sv% and that is just about the middle, (average). However in other areas he ranks, IMO, above average. Taking age and experience into this I would say that Ward is an above average goaltender. Then again, we all know that old saying about opinions, don't we?

Artus Irbe was the best Latvian Goalie ever! Just think how far Cam would have come if he could have the teachings of the Little Latvian!

Ward needs a good veteran back up to help teach him along with tom barrasso. That really is a great point and something carolina should think about investing in over the off season a veteran back up goalie.

I'm forced to say this every time this topic comes up...what goalie are you going to get that is better? Because the ones performing at the very top of their game right now are not leaving where they are...and quess what, they haven't always been the very best either - they've let in soft goals, they have off nights and less than expected seasons. Cam has average, and even sometimes bad, nights. So what, every goalie does. He also has brilliant nights. Most of the time he has very good nights. Could he be better? Sure. Everyone can always be better. Do we expect him to get better as he gets experience, absolutely. Now lay off the kid for a while, and go pick on Rutherford some more. :rolleyes:

I have to agree, that when you look at Cam's entire body of work, he is average. He can be spectacular, but he can also be a stinker. I watch a lot of hockey on Center Ice, and compared to a number of other goalies I see, Cam is truly an average NHL goalie. I suspect tja on atleast half o fth e temas in the league, possibly more, Cam would not be a starter but a back up.

I have to agree, that when you look at Cam's entire body of work, he is average. He can be spectacular, but he can also be a stinker. I watch a lot of hockey on Center Ice, and compared to a number of other goalies I see, Cam is truly an average NHL goalie. I suspect tja on atleast half o fth e temas in the league, possibly more, Cam would not be a starter but a back up.

We have some cam frustrators and we have some cam haters. Most teams in the NHL have a good backup for their starter so their starter can get some rest not the case for cam he has started every game this month wat are we up to 16-17 straight games he has started. Cam also played awesome against toronto and pittsburgh on back to back nights and both were away games. To give up 1 goal against pittsburgh is great but to do it when the night before u were in toronto posting a shoutout now that is something else. I am not sure if u actually watched the carolina vs pittsburgh game the other night but u have to be a very talented goalie to make some of the saves that he did. Why cant some of u just lay off the kid he is 24 and he is playing very good this season there are more games this season that he has done good in than bad. U guys still criticize him even after he had a shutout against toronto and gave up 1 goal against pittsburgh.

I'm forced to say this every time this topic comes up...what goalie are you going to get that is better? Because the ones performing at the very top of their game right now are not leaving where they are...and quess what, they haven't always been the very best either - they've let in soft goals, they have off nights and less than expected seasons. Cam has average, and even sometimes bad, nights. So what, every goalie does. He also has brilliant nights. Most of the time he has very good nights. Could he be better? Sure. Everyone can always be better. Do we expect him to get better as he gets experience, absolutely. Now lay off the kid for a while, and go pick on Rutherford some more. :rolleyes:

thank god someone else actually knows what they are talking about. It seems like we are the only one's who actually like cam ward. Some of these people act like cam is the only goalie who has ever had a bad night or let in some soft goals.

Your not the only ones, I think this topic is so far off the dumb-o-meter that I haven't participated.

I'm with ya on that one.

But I do have one thing to say: He's 24 if you are expecting Brodeaur out of him at 24, then I say lower your expectations. If you didn't expect to have growing pains with Cam, then I'm not sure what to say. Every goalie at his age, goes through growing pains, goes through inconsistency. Now if he's 28 and still having these struggles, then fine, flame away all you want. But he's 24, he's going to have his moments, he's still learning and gaining that experience.

The worst thing was him winning the Conn Smythe at such a young age. Now everyone thinks he should be the best goalie out there and seem to forget that he's a 24 year old still finding his way in the game.

I'm with ya on that one.

But I do have one thing to say: He's 24 if you are expecting Brodeaur out of him at 24, then I say lower your expectations. If you didn't expect to have growing pains with Cam, then I'm not sure what to say. Every goalie at his age, goes through growing pains, goes through inconsistency. Now if he's 28 and still having these struggles, then fine, flame away all you want. But he's 24, he's going to have his moments, he's still learning and gaining that experience.

The worst thing was him winning the Conn Smythe at such a young age. Now everyone thinks he should be the best goalie out there and seem to forget that he's a 24 year old still finding his way in the game.

that is exactly what i tried to get across in my comment and have been trying to convince people of since this whole thing started! his game has gotten so much better, especially since barrasso started working with him. i think people need someone to blame when the team does poorly and the goalie is often the easiest one to pick on.

Ive thought Cams had a very successful first half campaign, he stunk for 5 games in a row but that was a big offspring of the entire team sucking for 5 games.

He had a few bad games on his own in the beginning but for the first time for a real strech of games he was amazing and appears to have gotten back on his game. Just because his GAA is high you gotta consider how many of those games Cam stood on his head. Re-read Post Game Analysis if you have to alot of them are filled with stuff like "I know we got 4 goals against but that could have easily been 8 or 9 if it wasn't for Cam"

It's just amazing how fast fans forget and pull up stats despite 3 weeks ago everyone knowing full well Cam was doing fantastic for a rather long strech of a bout 15 games.

1st off u need to learn how to spell that will be a start.

when the night before u were in toronto posting a shoutout now that is something else.

Sometimes it's just too easy. :lol:

I do remember Cam yelling out a big "hi" to all his peeps so maybe that is what you meant...

I still say that if this team was capable of scoring 3-5 goals on most nights, we wouldn't be having this discussion. There are times that a goalie has to bail out the team and there are times that a team has to bail out the goalie. I don't think the team has been able to bail out Cam much in the last 2 1/2 years.

I still say that if this team was capable of scoring 3-5 goals on most nights, we wouldn't be having this discussion. There are times that a goalie has to bail out the team and there are times that a team has to bail out the goalie. I don't think the team has been able to bail out Cam much in the last 2 1/2 years.

Exactly, that was the benefit of Lavi's system. we scored goals in bunches which would cover Cam having an off night every now and again. But when the team isn't producing more than one or two goals a night then it becomes an issue when Cam just lets in one. Cam is a good goalie but you can't expect him to shutout teams night after night because we aren't scoring any goals!! It is a team effort and if the team is sucking it up then there is only so much any goalie can do.

Exactly, that was the benefit of Lavi's system. we scored goals in bunches which would cover Cam having an off night every now and again. But when the team isn't producing more than one or two goals a night then it becomes an issue when Cam just lets in one. Cam is a good goalie but you can't expect him to shutout teams night after night because we aren't scoring any goals!! It is a team effort and if the team is sucking it up then there is only so much any goalie can do.

Since 05/06, Lavi's system wasn't producing a lot of scoring, thus we are having this discussion about Cam's ability.

Haven't been here since last spring but I see we're in very similar situations. Avs / Canes that is.

Close in the league standings and looking at mediocre goaltending. I wish I had something more to offer. Our Peter Budaj is pretty awful between the pipes.

As per the stats on NHL.com, there are currently only 5 teams in the league with a lower goals per game average than the Canes. The Canes average GPG is 2.5. It is not surprizing that the top teams in the league (top 6) are all averaging over 3 GPG and the elite (top 3) are averaging 3.5. With these stats in mind, do we really want to lay the blame on goaltending or on offense?

Now I will agree with you that Cam has had his bad game here or there, but what goalie hasn't. I seem to recall Patrick Roy being chased a time or two in his career. The early Con Smyth trophy set the bar too high for a young goalie. In baseball, a lot of rookie pitchers look pretty good for a while and then the hitters figure them out. The good ones can fight through that and develop into dependable pitchers. Is it really any different for goalies in hockey? There has to be a better book on "How to Beat Cam" now than there was in 06.

To be an elite team, we have to average scoring 3 GPG and not 2.5 as we are doing now. Do that and this conversation ends about Cam.

not sure where else to put this but...

Brown, Ward, Hemsky named 'Three Stars' of the week

SECOND STAR -- CAM WARD, G, CAROLINA HURRICANES

Ward stopped 67 of 68 shots in posting road victories on consecutive nights, lifting the Hurricanes (23-20-5, 51 points) to the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference entering the All-Star break. He stopped 35 shots in recording his second shutout of the season and eighth of his NHL career in a 2-0 victory at Toronto Jan. 19 and made 32 saves in a 2-1 victory at Pittsburgh Jan. 20. Ward improved his season record to 18-14-3 with a 2.57 goals-against average and .911 save percentage in 36 appearances.

from nhl.com