The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
micheelob

Ward is average at best!

not sure where else to put this but...

Brown, Ward, Hemsky named 'Three Stars' of the week

SECOND STAR -- CAM WARD, G, CAROLINA HURRICANES

Ward stopped 67 of 68 shots in posting road victories on consecutive nights, lifting the Hurricanes (23-20-5, 51 points) to the eighth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference entering the All-Star break. He stopped 35 shots in recording his second shutout of the season and eighth of his NHL career in a 2-0 victory at Toronto Jan. 19 and made 32 saves in a 2-1 victory at Pittsburgh Jan. 20. Ward improved his season record to 18-14-3 with a 2.57 goals-against average and .911 save percentage in 36 appearances.

from nhl.com

**sarcasm alert**

what does nhl.com know about hockey?? Arent they aware Cam is only "average at best" and shouldnt be named a star of the week? :lol:

**sarcasm alert**

what does nhl.com know about hockey?? Arent they aware Cam is only "average at best" and shouldnt be named a star of the week? :lol:

*sarcasm alert* don't forget the fact that he obviously should be nothing more than a backup...in the AHL. :lol:

in all seriousness, good for cam. we need some good news about this team every now and then.

Any thoughts on his play against the Rangers???I myself thought he had a so/ so game.I big rebound and he got beat by Gomez,i thought those should have been stopped. But i'm no goalie,,just a fan with a opinion!! ;):rolleyes:

Yep he did have some other great saves but i just hate when our #1 goalie gets beat by there backup!! And yes we need to score,,we hit the post more than any other team in the NHL!!

Any thoughts on his play against the Rangers???

his night wasn't stellar, but he made some big stops...there was one instance when there was a little scrum around the net and he didn't give up on the play. i also remember a nice stop through traffic with Voros (i think) crowding the net. he was like the rest of the team last night-nothing horrific, but just not enough to win (although that has just as much to do with the other guys on the team as it does with Cam). I want to emphasize last night because I do think there are quite a few nights when he is our best player out there.

Any thoughts on his play against the Rangers???I myself thought he had a so/ so game.I big rebound and he got beat by Gomez,i thought those should have been stopped. But i'm no goalie,,just a fan with a opinion!! ;):rolleyes:

Goalies are allowed to let out rebounds, when they do the guys in front of him are supposed to pick up the garbage. Two of the Rangers goals was due to because they left a Ranger wide open.

The first goal, Seidenberg fell and was unable to get his guy in time, who would have been Kopinski (sp). The 3rd goal, another Ranger guy was left wide open and had all the time in the world to place his shot.

I thought Cam had a good game, a game we need him to have.

You back check to an open man, not the puck carrier. Cam made some nice saves but the goals that were scored were hardly weak goals. The few defensive mental lapses is what cost them the game. When a goalie gets little offensive support (goal scoring) he will have a hard time winning most nights.

Ok everyone,,how about tonite's showing by our Goal Tender------ Panthers (2/12)

Calling his effort tonite average would be a huge compliment!!!

He was terrible!!! :unsure:

OUR LAST LINE OF DEFENSE IS THE BACK OF THE NET!!!! :angry:

Ok everyone,,how about tonite's showing by our Goal Tender------ Panthers (2/12)

Was there a first or second line of defense tonight?

You're really going to bring up this thread again?

Ward wasn't sharp tonight, but it's hard to play when you have no help in front of you. Two of them weren't his fault, and possibility a third (I'd go check, but I'd rather not watch the highlights).

You're really going to bring up this thread again?

Ward wasn't sharp tonight, but it's hard to play when you have no help in front of you. Two of them weren't his fault, and possibility a third (I'd go check, but I'd rather not watch the highlights).

Yes i am Frog,,if your so against this thread,,why did you bother to post??? But yet you did!!

Yeah yeah ,its never Cams fault, look i like the guy but he isn't playing consistantly along with the rest of the team.But did you check is save percentage in this game. When you do,and i know you will please come back to this thread and post it so we all can see what it was!!

Yes the defense wasn't great but when you hold a team to 20 something shots the goalie has to have a better save percentage thet 20 something percent! So the defense didn't really do all that bad!

Unfortunately, Cam had Joe Corvo playing in front of him last night. #77 was terrible, he should have gotten assists on the first 2 goals. The third one turned into a breakaway because 2 of our guys decided they wanted to slow dance together.

Cam's rebound control wasn't great, but other than that, our D gave the Cats the game early.

Unfortunately, Cam had Joe Corvo playing in front of him last night. #77 was terrible, he should have gotten assists on the first 2 goals. The third one turned into a breakaway because 2 of our guys decided they wanted to slow dance together.

Cam's rebound control wasn't great, but other than that, our D gave the Cats the game early.

Yes, you can blame the defense, but look at the shots on goals. 41canes - 21panthers (this is about right. i stopped watching late in the 3rd. too painful.) This goal was won and lost by the goalie. Cam was unable to block 1 out of 4 goals.

He should've been chased after the 2nd.

i knew it was only a matter of time before this came back again. :lol: the entire team got embarrassed last night, and no cam didn't make things any easier, but i don't think you can pin this on him. if the entire team was buzzing and playing solid D for him and he still had the same performance, then i would be concerned. but they weren't. joe had an awful night; wallin got lost on the stewart breakaway thing; and florida wanted it more. even if cam had stopped two or three of those shots, we still would have lost because we didn't pot any of our own. everyone should be upset about last night, including cam, but he shouldn't be the sole recipient of the fans' frustration.

Last night was a soft game by a soft team. We don't finish checks and we turn the puck over into our own slot. We create no traffic in front of the net and no one other than Ruutu seems willing to pay the price of camping out the slot. The team we played tonight looked hungry and looked like a much better team than we did. The goal tending was only a piece of an otherwise ugly game.

Our forward play is killing us. With the addition of Joni and Corvo we have more offensive dmen, but this team was built with forwards and they are not pulling their weight. Brind'Amour, Whitney, Samsonov, and Cullen need to be a threat nightly. I see no reason those four shouldn't produce 1 goal a game amongst them every game.

Ward had a bad game, but anyone that has been watching games in the RBC center for years has seen Martin Brodeur pulled off the ice for his backup goalie more than once. I'd hardly call Brodeur anthing other than a Hall of Fame Goalie.

When the first goal scored is the game winning goal, its about way more than your defense.

When the first goal scored is the game winning goal, its about way more than your defense.

100% agreed. I'm glad Cam Ward had a stinker when it didnt even matter what he saved in the game. I would have been a totally different story if the canes would have scored four and actually could have won the game. Just hopefully that didnt break his confidence which I'm sure it didnt since he knows that if he would of saved everything it wouldnt of mattered lol. It would be nice if the offence could bail him out once in awhile like other teams can bail out there goalies but it seems like if our goalie doesnt play 100% its a guarranteed loss for us. I hope that the Canes bounce back after that one and are not at home shinning up the ole clubs.

Its funny how this post always comes up after we get hammered...lol....Sometimes I think Canes fans are worse than Leafs fans....

Thanks for the compliment,,Leafs fans have been around Hockey for a very long time and know their *edit*** ;):lol:

DJ, how long have I been around here? I am probably the biggest pessimist on this board. If Ward was to blame for that game, don't you think I would be right along side you, jumping on him?

This was an overall team failure. They couldn't score, they couldn't play defense, and neither goalie was playing up to par. But this wasn't like the last game of last season, where it was mostly Ward's fault. To put all the blame on him is just transferring your unnecessary hate from Kaberle to Ward.

I think the biggest problem last night was in the post-game quotes:

"We still thought we were fine after the first period," Carolina forward Ray Whitney said. "Those two quick ones in the second obviously killed us. From then, confidence kind of slips a little bit and it just snowballs."

Sorry, being down 2-0 after the first, at home, after getting a week off, and they thought they were fine?

i knew it was only a matter of time before this came back again. :lol: the entire team got embarrassed last night, and no cam didn't make things any easier, but i don't think you can pin this on him. if the entire team was buzzing and playing solid D for him and he still had the same performance, then i would be concerned. but they weren't. joe had an awful night; wallin got lost on the stewart breakaway thing; and florida wanted it more. even if cam had stopped two or three of those shots, we still would have lost because we didn't pot any of our own. everyone should be upset about last night, including cam, but he shouldn't be the sole recipient of the fans' frustration.

You are exactly right sure he didnt do very good but like you said you cant pin everything on him. This loss shouldn't be just on cam the whole team played horrible.

I also kind of think it is funny how some of you dont say anything when cam is doing really good, but when he plays bad you come of out the wood work and bash him non stop.

I think the biggest problem last night was in the post-game quotes:

"We still thought we were fine after the first period," Carolina forward Ray Whitney said. "Those two quick ones in the second obviously killed us. From then, confidence kind of slips a little bit and it just snowballs."

Sorry, being down 2-0 after the first, at home, after getting a week off, and they thought they were fine?

After the first I though they were still fine too because trying to come back from "only" two goals down wouldn't be that impossible. I felt they looked motivated enough to still have a chance to catch Florida with two to go. In hindsight, Mo could have taken an early time-out to regroup the guys and change their game plan, whatever it was, because it obviously didn't work.

As far as Cam goes I think most of you folks are pretty brutal in your blame game. I don't think Cam was nearly as bad as everyone made him out to be. Sure he gave up for goals but what glaring mistakes are you pinning on him for losing the game? On the first goal it was Corvo who needlessly coughed up the puck right behind the goal, Cam then challenged the shooter with Gleason being way late to cover Horton near the goal with none of our forwards backchecking. On the second goal Corvo virtually passed the puck to Horton behind the goal and Cam stopped Zednik's initial slapper from the slot with Gleason and Corvo then just standing around not sure if they should take a body or try to clear the puck - and again our forwards were were nowhere around to help out. On the third, Stewart walked in all alone because of Sammy's unforced turn-over and Wallin running into Rodney. On the fourth it was Gleason who first couldn't control or clear the puck at the blueline then allowed Kreps to pass to Campbell in the middle of the slot. Cam stopped the initial point blank shot but again had no help whatsoever from our forwards.

As far as Cam goes I think most of you folks are pretty brutal in your blame game. I don't think Cam was nearly as bad as everyone made him out to be. Sure he gave up for goals but what glaring mistakes are you pinning on him for losing the game? On the first goal it was Corvo who needlessly coughed up the puck right behind the goal, Cam then challenged the shooter with Gleason being way late to cover Horton near the goal with none of our forwards backchecking. On the second goal Corvo virtually passed the puck to Horton behind the goal and Cam stopped Zednik's initial slapper from the slot with Gleason and Corvo then just standing around not sure if they should take a body or try to clear the puck - and again our forwards were were nowhere around to help out. On the third, Stewart walked in all alone because of Sammy's unforced turn-over and Wallin running into Rodney. On the fourth it was Gleason who first couldn't control or clear the puck at the blueline then allowed Kreps to pass to Campbell in the middle of the slot. Cam stopped the initial point blank shot but again had no help whatsoever from our forwards.

Whaler, I think you nailed it. Although I thought Cam wasn't on last night I remember saying to myself after the first two goals we are hanging Cam out to dry tonight. On the third goal I saw (like you) Wallin and Rodney collide and I said we can't even get out of our own way and then watched Stewart's break away. Cam had a bad night but the fault was with the team in front of him.

Whaler, I think you nailed it. Although I thought Cam wasn't on last night I remember saying to myself after the first two goals we are hanging Cam out to dry tonight. On the third goal I saw (like you) Wallin and Rodney collide and I said we can't even get out of our own way and then watched Stewart's break away. Cam had a bad night but the fault was with the team in front of him.

Cam Ward had an off night on 2/12. So what! He's played outstanding this season (above "Average at Best").

BTW, the entire team had an off night vs Florida on 2/12. Forggedaboudit!