The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
micheelob

Ward is average at best!

What we need is a "BLAME DU JOUR" thread, then everyone should share in the fun. Don't see how you blame Ward for last night.

Not a bad idea.

Ward is average, if he had a good backup he'd be better than average. Mo has played him too much, we all know that. What bothers me is that when things are completely obvious to us, they dont appear to be obvious to the organization. Give the guy a break every 10 games and he might amount to something... this statement of course doesn't apply to last nights game because he was well rested. this is of course a general statement. But history has shown us that the Canes dont do well after more than 2-3 days off. Dont know why but that is the case.

Ward is average, if he had a good backup he'd be better than average. Mo has played him too much, we all know that. What bothers me is that when things are completely obvious to us, they dont appear to be obvious to the organization. Give the guy a break every 10 games and he might amount to something...

I don't know if you can make this statement after the way Cam closed out the last 6 weeks of the 2007/8 season. He was on the ice non-stop as Crackers sat on the bench and for the most part played his best hockey of the season. I understand the logic of giving a guy a break, but maybe Cam needs a lot of games.

Last years stats:

Nabokov 77 games ...... Rank in Wins: 1

Brodeur 77 games ....... Rank in Wins: 2

Kiprusoff 76 games ...... Rank in Wins: 3

Miller 76 games ...... Rank in Wins: 6th

Luongo 73 games ..... Rank in Wins: 7th

Lundqvist 72 games ..... Rank in Wins: 4th (Tied)

Vokoun 69 games ....... Rank in Wins 8th

Ward 69 games ..... Rank in Wins: 4th (Tied)

Now for the Ward bashers, there was not a worse defense in front of a goalie than Ward had of that entire group of goalies. That does'nt even begin to take into account all the River Rat players.

Damed if you do and damned if you don't. I thought Lavi always mixed up the goalies pretty good yet Cam never looked as good as he has this year with Mo playing him "too much".

IMO Ward is getting better every year, which would make sense for a young goalie. But fatigue is fatigue... and you do have to remember that Mo is emphasizing a defensive system. So of course that is only going to help Ward.

If he comes back with a great game tomorrow night, is it still fatigue?

If he comes back with a great game tomorrow night, is it still fatigue?

Like I said, last night wasnt fatigue. He had 4 days off. What I was trying to say is that goalies will have bad nights. Thats going to happen. But Ward seems to have more than most. And fatigue is a factor. If he were well rested every game would he be stellar every night? No. But he would have a better chance.

Like I said, last night wasn't fatigue. He had 4 days off. What I was trying to say is that goalies will have bad nights. That's going to happen. But Ward seems to have more than most. And fatigue is a factor. If he were well rested every game would he be stellar every night? No. But he would have a better chance.

I think the team playing in front of him has a lot more effect than fatigue at this point. Just like when he gives up a weak goal its deflating to the team, when the team defense is non existent and he's on his own island, its pretty deflating to him too and he's bound to feel extra pressure and start over thinking every save.

Both sides factor in to the losses and IMO its doesn't seem fair to hold only one side accountable or say that Ward is fatigued because of one bad game. I tend to agree with the post that said that he seems to play better when he plays consistently. He didn't play in SJ, played in Phoenix and then had all those days off. He came back with a less than stellar game but its hard to pin it all on him when the rest of the team didn't show up either. Even goalies that steal one have at least some help.

Side note: It is interesting that this thread didn't see any new posts from Jan 28-Feb 12th. Coincidentally, thats exactly when this team went on their little win streak and exactly when the win streak ended. With the exception of the Vancouver game where everyone pretty much agreed that the team and Cam played a good game and deserved a different fate.

I have no problem with Ward playing so frequently lately. IMO, Leighton was not playing well prior to the long consecutive game stretch by Ward. I believe Barasso continues to work well with transforming our Goalies, and that stretch was needed by Leighton before being "game ready" after adjusting.

Last year Ward struggled when Barasso arrived. IMO, that was due to a similar transformation. From late last year through all of this season Ward has played ABOVE average. I hope the Leighton we saw against San Jose is the beginning of him emerging to a higher level of play, too.

I just think that when Cam gives up the early softy that the whole team gets down and it kinda heads to a downward spiral more times than not. I just wish he would come up huge in the 1st period instead of us always having to try and come from behind after the 1st 10 minutes!

After the fourth goal, I got to thinking what if we had Mason in goal instead of Cam. The first and third goals would probably have not been allowed. The second and fourth were about a 50/50 chance no matter who you have in net, though Cam probably could've had a better poke check.

But either way, we won't win if we only score one goal so you can't blame this loss on Ward at all.

What? Where are the "cam sucks" or "cam is average" posters? Kind of quiet tonight, haha.

When Ward has a bad game, they'll be here again. When Ward has a great game, like last night, people who support him will be here. It'll keep going like this until the end of the year. Then if we miss the playoffs, people who normally bash him will come here and talk about games he lost for us and others will defend him.

IMO he has been the best player for our team this year, and if it weren't for him we wouldn't even be talking about making the playoffs.

What? Where are the "cam sucks" or "cam is average" posters? Kind of quiet tonight, haha.

It's easy to pick on him when things are going badly, but when things are going well no one seems to remember him. He played exceptionally well last night against Buffalo (that glove save on Connolly was RIDICULOUS) because everyone did their job and it wasn't just him. :)

Cam is so lazy, the guy never joins in on the rush. Just sits back and hangs out, if he got his thumb out of his pooperscooper we'd score more.

I wish they kept track of goalies in the "giveaways" stat, because I'm pretty sure Mike Smith and Ward would be the top two in that particular stat. If Ward wants to come out to play the puck, fine. But stop it, put it on a "T", and that's it. Everytime he tries to wrap it around the boards himself, it never works and the opposing team stays in the zone.

Hmm,wonder what happen last nite?(2/17) :blink::unsure::rolleyes:

May have to get Cam a new nickname,,where I come from we had a ice cream truck that drove around and it was callled "MR SOFTY",,,oh well just a thought!

May have to get Cam a new nickname,,where I come from we had a ice cream truck that drove around and it was callled "MR SOFTY",,,oh well just a thought!

Thats Funny

Right, because clearly, it's his fault we lost the game last night. How dare he let the powerplay let someone breakaway shorthanded!

DJ, Kabs was playing last night. Go pick on him. At least you were partly right in that category, because you're way off on Ward.

Right, because clearly, it's his fault we lost the game last night. How dare he let the powerplay let someone breakaway shorthanded!

DJ, Kabs was playing last night. Go pick on him. At least you were partly right in that category, because you're way off on Ward.

Not to mention, you're just not winning games scoring one goal.. on home ice...again.

The second goal was as soft as soft can get and that was the game winner. Doesn't matter if it was or wasn't on a pp,,Then the next softy(icing on the cupcake) was a weak backhand to the only side of the net that the player had a shot at.If Cam would have just stood there leaning in the goal, the puck would have hit him right in the stomach!

So i'm not all that far off afterall Frog!

I don't think Cam is a great goalie by any means but when you have the team he has in front of him one can not expect that much. He gets let down by his teammates way to much.

He gets screened more by his teammates than the other team.