The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
micheelob

Ward is average at best!

I don't think Cam is a great goalie by any means but when you have the team he has in front of him one can not expect that much. He gets let down by his teammates way to much.

He gets screened more by his teammates than the other team.

I agree with ya on that but i also believe its a 2 way street and Cam does the same for his team mates as well!

All you have to do Frogg is read DJ's signature and then alot of things make sense.

[/quote

Or your name "LEGEND"!!!AT LEAST IN YOUR OWN MIND!!!

Ok I have to say something finally on this. As being someone who enjoys playing goalie I pay attention to the position more than anything else.

Ward is not average at best by any means. Ward is a good goalie with the potential to be great. Just like with Grahame (who was a decent back up but got caught in really bad situations) you can't just look at the stats. You must look at the goals themselves. Yes stats do give a decent interpretation of a goalie but its not a fair representation. Lets look at the game against boston recently. First goal an initial save then a rebound goal. What does everyone say? It is the goalie's job to stop the initial shot and the defense to clean up the mess. Second goal if I remember (I haven't seen any replays I was at the game) it seemed that Ward was screened. Being someone who has been screened you have no idea how hard it is to make those saves. Third goal is the only goal I will fault Ward for. It was a breakaway so no surprise it went in the net but he should have realized DBerg had the left side covered from a potential shot. Even though yes the bruin could have gotten the shot off any forward would know not to take that chance so ward should have played more to his right. Fourth goal tip in shot from Chara no way in the world can most goalies save that.

Think of this situation if Brodeur had been playing for the hurricanes would he be as great as he is seemed to be?

Ward has already shown in this season alone he has grown to be a good goalie. The NHL has even recognized him with 2 stars of the week so far. Sure thats not much but consider some of the competition. Ward is getting better, he will get better. I'm hoping that after the end of next season Mike Murphy will be the backup and Ward can assume a more mentor position and be able to play ebtter off of that.

I said it before the season started...I had MAJOR reservations about bringing Michael up and giving the reins to Wardo...He just is not ready to be a number one. There is no one to really push him. I'd say bring in a starter in the off season, put Ward at #2 and let him battle for it over the next year or three..

I have always hoped that Ward would prove that he was an elite goaltender in the NHL. I just don't see it. Tonight's loss is on him................and Gleason for the dang high sticking penalty!

After the debacle against the Bruins 2/17, I am afraid Cam will never develop into a top notch NHL goalie as a Cane. He seems to too emotionally fragile, perhaps because of the expectations and pressure heaped upon him. Afther giving up the shortie, his while demeanor changed from determined competitor to a beaten down dog. It is ironic that CAm was at his best when there were no exepctations as in 06 when he just had to go out and play. Perhaps a fresh start with another team will help him develop into the goalie he was projected to be.

IMO, Cam is amazing at his best but is very inconsistent, and has a very inconsistent team playing in front of him. If he plays as good as he can every night we would have a chance to win every game. If the team in front of him played like the Phoenix game every night we should win every game. However neither are consistent enough and we basically need both sides to play their best to win a game. We can occasionally get away with one side playing their hardest and the other flopping but usually we lose.

Unfortunately part of Cam's inconsistency might not be his fault, some games the forwards and defense just leave him out to dry a few times a game. This is made worse when the forwards also decide not to score that game either.

After the debacle against the Bruins 2/17, I am afraid Cam will never develop into a top notch NHL goalie as a Cane. He seems to too emotionally fragile, perhaps because of the expectations and pressure heaped upon him. Afther giving up the shortie, his while demeanor changed from determined competitor to a beaten down dog. It is ironic that CAm was at his best when there were no exepctations as in 06 when he just had to go out and play. Perhaps a fresh start with another team will help him develop into the goalie he was projected to be.

DJ, that you?? :lol:

Seriously though, the game was over after the 2d Bruins goal because 18 Canes couldn't manage to score more than one goal at home (again).

DJ, that you?? :lol:

Seriously though, the game was over after the 2d Bruins goal because 18 Canes couldn't manage to score more than one goal at home (again).

yep its me,,was waiting for the long face comment!! ;):lol:;) because i was wearing it last nite when it went to 3 to 1

So I was going to make a point trying to claim that goalies numbers are direct results of the team in front of them because I dont believe Clemmenson is all that amazing despite have a .920 SV% because Kevin Weekes also has that and I was going to say well we all know Kevin sucked here.

However, Kevin during the worst season I think the Canes ever had in Carolina had a .912SV% and a miniscule 2.33 GAA. If he could do that with a terrible team in front of him imagine what he could do for this team. I do recall JR didn't want to pay him because the entire team sucked despite he apparently didn't.

I can tell you that since 98 when I started using our HTML/Java forums this fan forum has blamed Irbe, Weekes and Cam for every bad strech we've ever had and if Gerber had stuck around he'd of been the butt of failure to just like he is in Ottawa. When it gets down to it, the Edmonton Oilers of the 80's could have won those 5 cups with a peewee in goal, I to this day dont think Fuhr or Moog were all that amazing. The team in front of them have far more say in the game then the last man back. He's just the fall guy

Ward made a couple of outstanding saves to keep his deadbeat mates in this game. One beauty on the glove side, and another kick save when screened. Did he cave in the end? Yes, but it was out of reach after another shorthanded breakaway.

The only win this sad sack of players has in the last week is a shutout pitched by Wardo. That's what it takes for this team to get 2 points.

Wardo could have the Marines and the Broad Street bullies in front of him and he would still give up 5 softies a game. With Cam in net, this team is destined to have to trade and fade. Remember the Greensboro days? Well, they might be returning to an arena near you.

The second goal was as soft as soft can get and that was the game winner. Doesn't matter if it was or wasn't on a pp,,Then the next softy(icing on the cupcake)

Just contemplate the depth of that observation.

The 2nd goal was a game winner.

I don't blame Wardo for the 2nd goal, but I do blame our team for not putting up more goals. While it is encouraging to see less point shots, I still dont see enough traffic in the slot for my tastes.

We are 26th in the NHL in goals for a game and we are debating our goal tending? Have I fallen asleep and woke up in Minnesotta? Last I checked we are still pretty full of offensive minded forwards, on a team that has picked up MORE offensive blue liners and we are 26th in scoring.

We are 17th in the NHL in goals against and that is about where this team was built to be. Unfortunately we are not 7th or so in scoring which is also where this team was built to be.

Chad LaRose has hovered around 4th place on this team in goals and is currently 5th. I am happy for Chad but I don't really think one of our lowest paid forwards should be in that slot.

Scotty Walker has 3 goals and has only played 2 more games than Justin Williams.

Brind'Amour has 8 goals and is on track for about 10 goals for the season.

Justin Williams has 3 goals, and is on pace for a blistering 6.6 goals if he played the entire season (yes I know he was hurt)

News Flash:

Dan Lacouture (2) has almost as many goals this season as:

Brandon Sutter (1)

Nic Wallin (1)

Patrick Eaves (2)

Justin Williams (3)

Scott Walker (3)

Seidenberg (3)

Bayda (4)

Babchuk (4)

Gleason (0)

Kaberle (0)

Wardo could have the Marines and the Broad Street bullies in front of him and he would still give up 5 softies a game. With Cam in net, this team is destined to have to trade and fade. Remember the Greensboro days? Well, they might be returning to an arena near you.

At least the Greensboro team made the playoffs 50% of the time :) .

At least the Greensboro team made the playoffs 50% of the time :) .

LOL! Sad but true... good read RuutuWooWoo!!! That's better than the 5% we get outta the team right now!

Just contemplate the depth of that observation.

The 2nd goal was a game winner.

I don't blame Wardo for the 2nd goal, but I do blame our team for not putting up more goals. While it is encouraging to see less point shots, I still dont see enough traffic in the slot for my tastes.

We are 26th in the NHL in goals for a game and we are debating our goal tending? Have I fallen asleep and woke up in Minnesotta? Last I checked we are still pretty full of offensive minded forwards, on a team that has picked up MORE offensive blue liners and we are 26th in scoring.

We are 17th in the NHL in goals against and that is about where this team was built to be. Unfortunately we are not 7th or so in scoring which is also where this team was built to be.

Chad LaRose has hovered around 4th place on this team in goals and is currently 5th. I am happy for Chad but I don't really think one of our lowest paid forwards should be in that slot.

Scotty Walker has 3 goals and has only played 2 more games than Justin Williams.

Brind'Amour has 8 goals and is on track for about 10 goals for the season.

Justin Williams has 3 goals, and is on pace for a blistering 6.6 goals if he played the entire season (yes I know he was hurt)

News Flash:

Dan Lacouture (2) has almost as many goals this season as:

Brandon Sutter (1)

Nic Wallin (1)

Patrick Eaves (2)

Justin Williams (3)

Scott Walker (3)

Seidenberg (3)

Bayda (4)

Babchuk (4)

Gleason (0)

Kaberle (0)

You know, I could remember when we were one of a couple of teams who had something like 5-6 (20) goal scorers (in a single season), man are those days behind us now! What happened to the offense? Oh yea.. insert the Mo era, once again! How do you play with a lead when your team can't seem to get one? Once again, a product of the Mo era!

What happened to the offense? Oh yea.. insert the Mo era, once again! How do you play with a lead when your team can't seem to get one? Once again, a product of the Mo era!

Hm, how soon we forget that our scoring woes started when Lavi still had the watch. During the Cup year everyone chipped in, then our defense no-showed in front of Cam and on the score board and now it's our offense who can't get enough going on a consistent basis to make a difference. In 33 games of the Mo/Francis/Rowe era, our GFA of 2.5 hasn't improved since Lavi left so if anybody is to be blamed, it's Mo for not coming up with anything to be a difference maker himself and Ron and Rowe for their inability to improve our special teams.

Hm, how soon we forget that our scoring woes started when Lavi still had the watch. During the Cup year everyone chipped in, then our defense no-showed in front of Cam and on the score board and now it's our offense who can't get enough going on a consistent basis to make a difference. In 33 games of the Mo/Francis/Rowe era, our GFA of 2.5 hasn't improved since Lavi left so if anybody is to be blamed, it's Mo for not coming up with anything to be a difference maker himself and Ron and Rowe for their inability to improve our special teams.

Nothings actually improved in the Mo area that hasn't been met with a demise of something else, it's all very neutral in the end.

Ok people,,what is your opinion of Cam last nite against the Isles??Mine is,,still let in 2 softies but did make alot of the harder saves? Like i said in the PGA thread Cam could have easily had another shutout,

Figured i had better post after a win so opinions can be givin as well!

Ok people,,what is your opinion of Cam last nite against the Isles??Mine is,,still let in 2 softies but did make alot of the harder saves? Like i said in the PGA thread Cam could have easily had another shutout,

Figured i had better post after a win so opinions can be givin as well!

We get it. This is getting really old and repetetive. *Keys words in bold, already said in another thread. Just saying...

Just to save time:

After every game Cam wins: "Good win but he shouldnt have let in that softie".

After every shut out: "Wow, where's that Cam every night?"

After every loss: "Trade him, he sucks and will never be better than average."

That about cover it?

We get it. This is getting really old and repetetive. *Keys words in bold, already said in another thread. Just saying...

Just to save time:

After every game Cam wins: "Good win but he shouldnt have let in that softie".

After every shut out: "Wow, where's that Cam every night?"

After every loss: "Trade him, he sucks and will never be better than average."

That about cover it?

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.