The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
micheelob

Ward is average at best!

We get it. This is getting really old and repetetive. *Keys words in bold, already said in another thread. Just saying...

Just to save time:

After every game Cam wins: "Good win but he shouldnt have let in that softie".

After every shut out: "Wow, where's that Cam every night?"

After every loss: "Trade him, he sucks and will never be better than average."

That about cover it?

Didn't know i needed your blessing to post TSA!!

If you want to be that way about it,isn't this whole board a little repetitive?? I'm mean its all about the Hurricanes?? Right

Try the other side of the bed when you get up tomorrow! :rolleyes:

What do you guys think about letting Cam play Center and Staal at goalie? The shakeup might stir the team into a renewed sense of hope.

Or how about we slip Cam some A-Roids?

We get it. This is getting really old and repetetive. *Keys words in bold, already said in another thread. Just saying...

Just to save time:

After every game Cam wins: "Good win but he shouldnt have let in that softie".

After every shut out: "Wow, where's that Cam every night?"

After every loss: "Trade him, he sucks and will never be better than average."

That about cover it?

Nice job suppressing opinions...congrats. Perhaps dj was just responding to posts like this:

What? Where are the "cam sucks" or "cam is average" posters? Kind of quiet tonight, haha.

I don't see any rebuke for that post. Damned if you do, damned if you don't around here it seems. I haven't checked on here in a while because of it...sorry I checked on here today. Oh well. *gone*

Nice job suppressing opinions...congrats. Perhaps dj was just responding to posts like this:

I don't see any rebuke for that post. Damned if you do, damned if you don't around here it seems. I haven't checked on here in a while because of it...sorry I checked on here today. Oh well. *gone*

Suppressing what opinons????? Since you used my post I'll answer.

The guy has posted the same thing for 9 pages since Jan 16th and that doesnt include all the other threads he's said the same thing. I dont care if he hates ward or thinks he should be playing for Albany but all his belly achin isnt gonna change everyone elses opinions. Once he said it 10 times, we got it.

My post was because when cam has a good solid game, there's nothing said. Check the posts and the dates for 9 pages. Last year it was Kabs (and this year too) and now its ward. No matter how much we post here, it wont change other peoples opinions.

Damned if you do damned if you dont. Someone speaks their peace, and if you read it and and dont agree, should you have to read the same thing 50 more times trying to get you to agree with them? Move on or find another player to dog. *bye*

Ok people,,what is your opinion of Cam last nite against the Isles??Mine is,,still let in 2 softies but did make alot of the harder saves? Like i said in the PGA thread Cam could have easily had another shutout,

Figured i had better post after a win so opinions can be givin as well!

Yeah that rocket from the blueline with Corvo screening was pretty soft.

and I can not believe he could not stop that turnover from happening on the second goal..he should have played the puck out at the blueline...what was he thinking? *out*

Ok people,,what is your opinion of Cam last nite against the Isles??Mine is,,still let in 2 softies but did make alot of the harder saves? Like i said in the PGA thread Cam could have easily had another shutout,

Like I said, depends on what your definition of softy is. If he saw the puck on both shots, especially the first one, yea he should have had them, no doubt. But did he? Based on his reactions or lack thereof, my personal guess is no but that's just me. I think sometimes the expectations of some people is so high that they often fail to realize the big difference between watching a shot on HDTV and being on ice level for 60 minutes trying to keep up with every pass and 95 mph fat hamburgers throught the cage of a mask and with distractions all over the place. Some times you just can't, no matter what your name is.

This thread is killing me! what do you guys want from your goalie?? You try making a save while being screened, try making a save while a 90mph shot changes direction right in front of you. Try making a save while your D and Forwards arent doing their jobs! Its everyone on this team not doing their jobs to help, not just Ward! Ya he lets in a few softies, but all goalies do. Come on get over it!

This thread is killing me! what do you guys want from your goalie?? You try making a save while being screened, try making a save while a 90mph shot changes direction right in front of you. Try making a save while your D and Forwards arent doing their jobs! Its everyone on this team not doing their jobs to help, not just Ward! Ya he lets in a few softies, but all goalies do. Come on get over it!

I agree 100%. Ward is not the problem, he's actually not that bad at all....Here's the problem: NOT ENOUGH SCORING. When you have the goaltender night after night knowing he has to be 100%...that's real pressure! The team (very rarely) will score more than 2.....maybe 3 goals, but that isn't the norm. We have to get Forwards who put the puck in the net. (Not chances....lol......)

I agree 100%. Ward is not the problem, he's actually not that bad at all....Here's the problem: NOT ENOUGH SCORING. When you have the goaltender night after night knowing he has to be 100%...that's real pressure! The team (very rarely) will score more than 2.....maybe 3 goals, but that isn't the norm. We have to get Forwards who put the puck in the net. (Not chances....lol......)

we're scoring now :) :)

The key weakness in the play of Ward, which has been evident ever since the Stanley Cup victory, is a lack of consistency. Much like the team, he'll have stretches of brilliant play followed up by stretches of terrible play. However, I don't place this blame on Ward. I place it on the people in charge who, I believe, forced him into a position that he wasn't physically ready to take. In that '06-'07 season, he needed to atleast be part of a #1A/#1B tandem. Just look at Patrick Roy, after his Stanley Cup victory and Conn Smythe award as a 20-year-old it was still four years before he played 60+ games in a regular season. For Ward, he has played 60+ games in the regular season every year since his Stanley Cup victory and Conn Smythe award as a 21-year-old. I just think Ward's problem has been too much pressure placed on his shoulders too soon. I still think he'll develop into a franchise goaltender in another year or two. However, I also think the overall success of this franchise has been compromised in the last few years because of the front office's mis-handling of Ward.

The key weakness in the play of Ward, which has been evident ever since the Stanley Cup victory, is a lack of consistency. Much like the team, he'll have stretches of brilliant play followed up by stretches of terrible play. However, I don't place this blame on Ward. I place it on the people in charge who, I believe, forced him into a position that he wasn't physically ready to take. In that '06-'07 season, he needed to atleast be part of a #1A/#1B tandem. Just look at Patrick Roy, after his Stanley Cup victory and Conn Smythe award as a 20-year-old it was still four years before he played 60+ games in a regular season. For Ward, he has played 60+ games in the regular season every year since his Stanley Cup victory and Conn Smythe award as a 21-year-old. I just think Ward's problem has been too much pressure placed on his shoulders too soon. I still think he'll develop into a franchise goaltender in another year or two. However, I also think the overall success of this franchise has been compromised in the last few years because of the front office's mis-handling of Ward.

I agree with you. We would have made the playoffs both of the last two years with an average NHL starter in goal. Ward was brilliant in stretches, but his down periods were too long and too frequent. Ironically, this year he has limited this some and is doing better, currently about 20th statistically. He has slipped a little recently as he was as high as 14th (of course all of those recent 5 GAA games didn't help his stats).

I would argue that he is significantly improved this year, and this year's Cam Ward would have been enough to make the playoffs the last two years. He is still not an All Star, but this year I would not list him as a problem. This year, ironically, putting the puck in the net is the problem.

Well said, he has been rushed into every season by management. I think it's due to the fact that the front office wouldn't spend the money needed to go out and get a veteran goaltender to take some of the work load off Cam's shoulders. Now I know they went and signed John "Choke" Grahme.. but he didn't help, just screwed things up more! Now they have Tom Barrasso doing all the dirty work with the choker now gone too Russia. I think Cam shouldv'e been eased into his position.. even given the fact that he is a Conn Smythe winner! Hence the reason we currently have two #2 goaltenders. I think its great that JR and company have all this faith in Cam, but they really should've looked at his age and said to themselves, maybe not now.. but maybe a few more years from now!!!

Anyone catch that first goal on Cam today ?

Does not get much softer than that.

The 2nd one in the Boston game, 2 on the Island and another softy today - the softies have to stop....that is all I ask.

I also like to see Cam have some kind (any kind) of success on stopping breakaways as well but that another self admited weak spot in Cam's game.

Till those concerns are addressed - its going to be no playoffs or a very short stay in them.

Its really that simple.

Ward gave up 1 bad goal today when coincidentally the whole team hadnt shown up to play hockey yet. Then he makes some pretty big saves, the team gets its legs underneath them and Ward plays a solid game from then on. He stopped the few breakaways the defense allowed and guess what? When the team scores more than 1 goal, letting 1 bad one in isnt the end of the world.

I honestly think that unless Ward puts up a perfect shut out, some people will never be happy. No goalie in the league puts up shut out every game they play and even the best goalies give up bad goals. Ward shouldnt have the pressure of having to play perfect night in and night out because his teamates cant put the puck in the net more than once a night.

If someone isnt willing to look past one bad goal and see the rest of the game Ward played, theres no point of even having a thread like this. The haters will onky focus on the bad and the supporters will only focus on the good. This thread is cooked, done and finished, stick a fork in it.

What we expect and reality are 2 different things. Did any of us expect Ward to perform how he had in the Stanley Cup playoffs??? I certainly hadn't. Was it a lucky break, or not being worked all season long? Could be both, but the point is, he got hot and stayed hot, knowing every victory counted. The mindset is different in playoffs than it is in the regular season. I can't tell you why myself, but I know for sure having played in little league games and even amateur clubs.

I wish there was a way to set your mind into playoff mode, but sometimes... eh. Should have that mindset during the last game of the regular season when it decides if you get into the playoffs or not, but hey... hopefully, if we can get into the playoffs, we can get hot and continue where we left off last time we we're in the playoffs - winning.

Ward gave up 1 bad goal today when coincidentally the whole team hadnt shown up to play hockey yet. Then he makes some pretty big saves, the team gets its legs underneath them and Ward plays a solid game from then on. He stopped the few breakaways the defense allowed and guess what? When the team scores more than 1 goal, letting 1 bad one in isnt the end of the world.

I honestly think that unless Ward puts up a perfect shut out, some people will never be happy. No goalie in the league puts up shut out every game they play and even the best goalies give up bad goals. Ward shouldnt have the pressure of having to play perfect night in and night out because his teamates cant put the puck in the net more than once a night.

If someone isnt willing to look past one bad goal and see the rest of the game Ward played, theres no point of even having a thread like this. The haters will onky focus on the bad and the supporters will only focus on the good. This thread is cooked, done and finished, stick a fork in it.

I'm not asking Ward to be perfect, its a team game all "he" has to do is be consistent in the net.

The thread is about Ward - Correct ? If you want to talk about lack of offense - then that is another story with different culprits.

I'm just asking the softies with regularity to stop - that is all.

I'm not asking Ward to be perfect, its a team game all "he" has to do is be consistent in the net.

The thread is about Ward - Correct ? If you want to talk about lack of offense - then that is another story with different culprits.

I'm just asking the softies with regularity to stop - that is all.

But the lack of scoring is all part of the same story. All the pressure is on Ward to be perfect if the offense cant muster up a goal or 2. We've seen it all year long. Now that theyve found some scoring the last few games, look how easy it was for Ward to shake off that first goal tonight and come up with all the big saves needed to get the win in big fashion tonight.

Im not saying Ward doesnt give them up but 1 bad goal shouldnt cost a win all the time. Its a matter of opinion but he showed consistency tonight. He buckled down and held on giving his team a chance to get their legs under them after a rough start. There was little he could do about the Tucker goal (guy was left wide open and there were no dmen to be found) and other than the first goal, he was solid.

Not sure what your definition of consistency is but it sounds like some people's definition is to never give up a soft goal. That isnt gonna happen for any goaltender on any team. Ward's put up shut outs, had games with no soft goals, had games with soft goals we've ended up losing and had games like tonight with a bad goal but we still won. It is possible for a goalie to just get beat fair and square.

Back up goalie is probably the position that hurts this team the worst because of not spending up to the salary cap. When J.R. is pinching pennies, he probably hates to spend mega bucks on someone to sit on the end of the bench wearing a baseball cap 90% of the time. Since the Cup year, we have had Graham and Leighton. Leighton had a great season in the AHL but now can't seem to find his way on the ice (except for cleanup work or as a sacrificial lamb against the Sharks).

Cam does give up the occasional softie, but it's importance is magnified by the general lack of scoring of this team. The one softie today isn't as bad when the skaters can put 4 on the scoreboard.

^ 4 soft goals in 3 games is not consistent ...well, it is but not in a good way.

And as far as pressure - how demoralizing is it for the Hurricanes to grind like they do for 58 minutes on several occasions only to see Ward give up the softy.

Corvo said after the Edmonton game - to lose with less than 10 seconds on the clock is pure *edit*.

Like I said - if he does his job within reason - not perfectly .... then you can point the finger entirely on the offense.

I don't post here alot, so I will leave it at this - if you are not concerned about the amount of poor quality of goals finding the back of the net over the course of this season then you are obviously heavily invested in Cam Ward gear.

Back up goalie is probably the position that hurts this team the worst because of not spending up to the salary cap. When J.R. is pinching pennies, he probably hates to spend mega bucks on someone to sit on the end of the bench wearing a baseball cap 90% of the time. Since the Cup year, we have had Graham and Leighton. Leighton had a great season in the AHL but now can't seem to find his way on the ice (except for cleanup work or as a sacrificial lamb against the Sharks).

Cam does give up the occasional softie, but it's importance is magnified by the general lack of scoring of this team. The one softie today isn't as bad when the skaters can put 4 on the scoreboard.

I'm not here to say that Leighton is Manny Fernandez or anything, but I would point out that he has a .899 save % and is

6-6-2 on a .500 team. That with usually getting tough assignments (SanJose, back end of back to backs) and only seeing very limited ice time. I would have to think if Leighton got more action he would be even better. It's not like he has been say, John Graham. Imagine what Cam's numbers would be if he only got in there every 5-6th game. We need to see a bit more of Leighton to see how good he could be. Thusfar he has been ok.

^ 4 soft goals in 3 games is not consistent ...well, it is but not in a good way.

And as far as pressure - how demoralizing is it for the Hurricanes to grind like they do for 58 minutes on several occasions only to see Ward give up the softy.

Corvo said after the Edmonton game - to lose with less than 10 seconds on the clock is pure *edit*.

Like I said - if he does his job within reason - not perfectly .... then you can point the finger entirely on the offense.

I don't post here alot, so I will leave it at this - if you are not concerned about the amount of poor quality of goals finding the back of the net over the course of this season then you are obviously heavily invested in Cam Ward gear.

of course its demoralizing to blow a game like the Boston and Edmonton games in the final minutes and I put them squarely on Ward. If that happened game after game then Id have a pitch fork and be heading up the lynch mob to run Ward out of town myself. But it hasnt, and this team has found more ways to lose than I could ever dream up, the goaltender giving up soft goals is only one way.

Tonight Ward did his job not perfectly but well within reason. This would not be the night I pointed any fingers at him for that one bad goal.

I dont post here a ton either so I guess I'll leave it at this - the only gear Im heavily invested in is my own team, the team I play for.

Hockey is a team sport and when a team has consistently invented new and exciting ways to lose games, I cant just point my finger in one place. When they play a good solid game and win, I cant point my finger in one place for that either.

It should have been obvious by now that we have a block of swiss cheese in goal. After a third consecutive year out of the playoffs, you'd think there would be sufficient blood at the ticket sale window. At what point does it change? Ward is clearly not performing, and should be with the River Rats. Now, it looks like the franchise will become unsustainable before the necessary changes happen. I'd hate to see the loss of a franchise simply for the sake of continuing a bad decision.

Ward is a top goalie who has not bloomed. The way he played in the stanley cup playoffs is who he really is as a goalie. He had nothing to lose and was relaxed and confident and the pressure wasn't really on. We had no choice but to make him our # 1 goalie, he earned it 110%. Now he is fighting the hardest thing in all of sports, ... not letting his head mess with his head, and letting his natural physical ability shine. I think its good he was thrown into 60 game years right away, now he is as experienced as it gets. Ward is about to bloom 100%. He is still inconsistent but you can tell he's getting better at not letting his head mess with him.

Obviously the problem this year is our fowards finishing in the net. They shoot, they pass, they crash, it dosen't go in.

Well it has the last few games, but I have a feeling we're due for a Ward, Staal slump and a 3 game losing streak. I hope not, they've looked great. but looking back at history we are now due for a 3 game losing streak, Staal not scoring for 7 games, and Ward having 3 horrible games in a row.

I hope I'm wrong. come on Ward and Staal, just play to your top potential every game and we will win.

It should have been obvious by now that we have a block of swiss cheese in goal. After a third consecutive year out of the playoffs, you'd think there would be sufficient blood at the ticket sale window. At what point does it change? Ward is clearly not performing, and should be with the River Rats. Now, it looks like the franchise will become unsustainable before the necessary changes happen. I'd hate to see the loss of a franchise simply for the sake of continuing a bad decision.

:lol:

A couple things wrong with that logic:

1. Ward's not the reason we might miss the playoffs. We're letting in less goals this year than we have previous years. We are SCORING a lot less goals than we have previous years as well.

2. In order to go to the Rats, Ward would have to pass through the waiver wire. In case this is a new concept to you, it gives all the other teams in the league a chance to grab him and put him on their team. And believe me, LA/Ottawa/Colorado/The Islanders would easily grab that opportunity if it arose.

3. There are at least 3 franchises that will move before Carolina does. If you want to worry, wait until other franchises collapse.

So if there are so many positives about Cam and there are just as many negative's about Cam(which all have been brought up ,,good and bad) doesn't that just prove that he is what this topic is all about..Not him being bad or disliked or not about him being great or liked is about his play being average at best. And don't these stats prove what the topic is all about (Cam being average @ best)not what your or my opinion is( which we are allowed to have even if some people want to blast us for) and the stats kinda prove where Cams game is at this point in his career.

Cam --ranks 17th Gaa

-Ranks 18th penalty shots

-ranks 22nd save %

- ranks 43 shootouts

- ranks 10 shutouts

- ranks 43 special teams

All this form NHL.com