The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
karpa-ch1

TicketExchange

I thought it was illegal to charge more than $3 over face value for a "scalped" ticket. If I look at Ticketmaster ticketexchange for the game today, I see this:

Sec Row Seat Qty Price/Per

121 Q 1 1 US $113.85 Buy Tickets

121 D 8 1 US $92.00 Buy Tickets

Now, I have no idea what the face value is, but these are the same section, 15 or so rows apart. The better seat, D is more than $20 less. That seems backwards and one is clearly more the $3 more than face value.

With all the heat Ticketexchange has gotten lately, this appears to be further evidence of some shady dealing.

i agree, gate price is $80.

Ticket exchange is a resell market - Just like Stubhub, Ebay, ticketsnow etc.

Prices will vary depending upon how much the individual seller wants to let the tickets go for. It is a free market and is supply vs demand driven.

Ticket exchange is a resell market - Just like Stubhub, Ebay, ticketsnow etc.

Prices will vary depending upon how much the individual seller wants to let the tickets go for. It is a free market and is supply vs demand driven.

Is it exempt from NC law?

This is on the ticket order page for Canes tickets on ticketmaster:

"Before purchasing tickets, please read the following Carolina Hurricanes ticket policy:

By purchasing the tickets listed on this site, you agree that Carolina Hurricanes Hockey Club reserves the right to void, without compensation to the holder or owner, any and all tickets resold or offered for resale at a price above that allowed by North Carolina General Statutes

I wondered the same thing myself. I looked at the Ticket Exchange through the Canes website early in the year and I thought...woah, are you serious? Every single seat I saw was way over face value. I understand the supply and demand thing at the end of the season but people have been trying to sell tickets way over ALL season long. I wondered who in the world was actually paying these prices when you could buy them for cheaper on line or at the box office for sure when they weren't even close to selling out the RBC. Didn't make any sense to me and plus aren't most of the tickets being sold on there from STH who already pay less anyway for each ticket??

Caveat Emptor!

You can do much better, including at the Swap section of this site. Many STH sell at cost or below cost, myself included. The rules there request that we post the section, and related info to help the buyer(s).

fyi, ticket exchange charges the seller a fee, cant remember what it is, so some sell higher to cover that cost. I know for me, i got a 12 game mini pack in LL South and guess what....that is only 1.50 off single tkt gate price....but what i didnt know when i bought was that i am considered a STH for SOME of the perks which in my opinion is very nice.

in other words, for me to cover MY costs, i would have to charge higher than gate price. I have not used ticket exchange but have sold tkts on stubhub, craigs list and swap section here.

I wondered the same thing myself. I looked at the Ticket Exchange through the Canes website early in the year and I thought...woah, are you serious? Every single seat I saw was way over face value. I understand the supply and demand thing at the end of the season but people have been trying to sell tickets way over ALL season long. I wondered who in the world was actually paying these prices when you could buy them for cheaper on line or at the box office for sure when they weren't even close to selling out the RBC. Didn't make any sense to me and plus aren't most of the tickets being sold on there from STH who already pay less anyway for each ticket??

The thing that irritates me is why in the world are season ticket holders selling their tickets anyway?? Thats who ticketexchange panders too.. STH's who dont care to take the time to support the team for a Tuesday night game against Columbus... yeah, I understand you cant make every game... but I've been to two games (weekends no less) so far this year against the Capitols and Bruins and both times there are Caps or Bruins fans in the front row on the glass.. the only way they can get that ticket is from a STH. Against Detroit I was in the upper deck so I wasn't surprised to see a lot of the wrong color red for that game. Even so, that was a friday night.. shoulda been a sellout but it wasnt.

People like me can't get a ticket if we try but STH's flush em down the toilet... how you think that makes the rest of the fanbase feel?

People like me can't get a ticket if we try but STH's flush em down the toilet... how you think that makes the rest of the fanbase feel?

Yeah Eric, STHs (like me) offer our tickets here on the boards for what we pay for them (discount from ticketmaster prices) and other fanbase personnel don't want them or they want them for even less then we paid. So why shouldn't I put them on ticketexchange and maybe get my $ back for games that I can't make due to the job that I have to have so I can pay for those STH tickets.

....People like me can't get a ticket if we try but STH's flush em down the toilet... how you think that makes the rest of the fanbase feel?

What? Flushing it down the toilet would be me leaving an empty seat just to make you happy. I work VERY hard for my $$$ and believe me I don't waste a penny of it. If I can't make a game, or have exchanged tickets, sorry, but I want MY hard earned $$$.

I've never asked for 1 cent over what I've paid, and mostly sold for a few $$$ less. I'm so friendly with the folks around my seats that they're not going to the "enemy" team. I'm lucky to have my seats, and they're the result of my efforts. I'll do with them as I please.

The thing that irritates me is why in the world are season ticket holders selling their tickets anyway?? Thats who ticketexchange panders too.. STH's who dont care to take the time to support the team for a Tuesday night game against Columbus... yeah, I understand you cant make every game... but I've been to two games (weekends no less) so far this year against the Capitols and Bruins and both times there are Caps or Bruins fans in the front row on the glass.. the only way they can get that ticket is from a STH. Against Detroit I was in the upper deck so I wasn't surprised to see a lot of the wrong color red for that game. Even so, that was a friday night.. shoulda been a sellout but it wasnt.

that's a bit strong, i have offered my extras to family and board members, had board members turn me down for cheap/free tickets because beer is too expensive so let's don't go there - you can't win that one. you also have the opportunity to be a STH'er. one seat in 334 for the season is like $400, with $120 down and the balance spread over 11 months you month outlay would only be $30 (you probably spend that much a month on Xbox games).

I've been to two games (weekends no less) so far this year against the Capitols and Bruins and both times there are Caps or Bruins fans in the front row on the glass.. the only way they can get that ticket is from a STH.

I'm not sure that's necessarily true. I've gone to a few Caps/Canes games and been on the glass while purchasing through Ticketmaster.com.

As it stands right now, the 3 dollar over face value has been removed from NC State law. This may be changed back eventually but for now it is fine. This unfortunately allows those tickets to be sold at the price. This is not a decision made by the Hurricanes. It has to do with North Carolina State law. However any tickets sold on this forum must still maintain a 3 dollar over face value maximum.

Please note that what I have just said is what I believe to be true for this point in time. If anyone feels I'm wrong please feel free to let me know and I'll look into it but I have a track record of being right. :P

Of course if anyone has any other questions or concerns about this I'm open to hearing them as well.

Marcus Morton,

Site Admin