The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
carcanes67

'Canes have the 6th best defence?

Yeah, I was reading that article on either Saturday or Friday, and I was just like 'sure we do'. But they also have Tim Gleason as out of the top four and Dennis Seidenberg in it. Last time I checked, Timmy is usually paired with Corvo, correct?

first thought that went through my mind - is it a canadian/british thing to use the "c" vs. spelling it "defense"?

yes. I am British, and I always use the "c"..forgetting about the us spelling

It looks like they placed a lot of importance on stats and not how the unit works together, but I'm glad to see us in the discussion.

What I did notice was the following statement:

"and the 'Canes are strangely effective when Conboy is in the lineup."

It also looks like we aren't the only ones that notice. I am overlooking the fact that they have Conboy listed as defense and he has been playing forward.

Yeah, I was reading that article on either Saturday or Friday, and I was just like 'sure we do'. But they also have Tim Gleason as out of the top four and Dennis Seidenberg in it. Last time I checked, Timmy is usually paired with Corvo, correct?
Gleason is usually paired with Corvo, but TSN's Top 4 is based on their statistical ranking, not the actual Top 4 of the team. Seidenberg likely rates higher than Gleason because he has a lot more points.

yes. I am British, and I always use the "c"..forgetting about the us spelling

thanks! I wondered if that was the case

as for our defence - I think that since the return of coach Mo our defence is better than 6th as a group, but we still lack a true "shutdown pairing".

Interesting. Seidenberg has had an up and down season. He was looking really good early, but less so after that. Still, he has a decent amount of assists, and as such is on the edge of being a legitimate puck mover, and is right there when he is on his game. He is -10 this year while the top guys are all plus. I'm not sure if he has been playing through injury, but if he gets back to where he was earlier this year, then offensively we have 4 puck movers and Gleason, add Wallin's solid play and it really is that good.

Also, while it is not a one to one correlation, there is a pretty stong correlation between the defense rankings and how well the team is doing. Not a huge surprise, but interesting to see it on paper.

It's a rating system, that I'm guessing is more favored toward offense and plus minus, i mean you want to tell me the Pens have the 5th best defense in the league,lol.

Plus Vancouver and NJ should be ranked higher, but because of the lack of points their backend gets I figure they are ranked lower.

Canes defense is still probably still like 9th best, unlike years past, there is no real weak link, no real true #1 but its pretty balanced in terms of offensive and defensive minded players.

It all goes out the windiw when the PLAYOFFS start. Everyone is even and past stats really don't mean squat. Stats are nice, but guts, will, and determination mean alot in the PLAYOFFS.

Watch how many more shots are blocked by both the forwards and defencemen in the PLAYOFFS.

I remember during our cup run how many shots we were blocking, it goes along way in helping your D and your goalie.

GO CANES !!!!!