The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
KeyWestCorona

Babchuk has come a long long way!

More like Bamfchuk, amirite?

But for real. This guy's blossomed into a top four d-man with one hell of a shot. He knows what he's good at, and he uses it whenever possible. If I ever get a new Canes jersey, he's in strong consideration for the player whose name would go on the back.

More like Bamfchuk, amirite?

But for real. This guy's blossomed into a top four d-man with one hell of a shot. He knows what he's good at, and he uses it whenever possible. If I ever get a new Canes jersey, he's in strong consideration for the player whose name would go on the back.

Same. With the possibility that LaRose won't be with us next year, Babchuk is the obvious choice for me. Getting the raw end of the deal with this team and coming back and playing like he has, shows a lot of character from him.

No doubt that he's going to be one of the key free agents we need to re-sign, and to think the firepower we have back at the blue-line with the likes of Corvo and Pitkanen already. Man, I wouldn't want to be the one that has to take one of Babs' shots. :blink:

Three Words.........."THE RUSSIAN CONCUSSION"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enough said......

Thats great.

I love the 'Babchukian Slapper" as Chuck K. called it. But really, Babchuk was been a pleasant surprise with offensive potential, a BOOM of a shot, and surprisingly solid defensive play. I think he warrants a re-sign for SURE. But lets be honest, he is still young. That doesnt mean im doubting his ability, but im doubting that he is going to accept a re-sign for relativly small money. Considering how everyone is boasting his play, he might want more money than we can give him.

But we definitely need to look into re-signing Ruutu, Cole, Babs, and Larose.

He is giving Wallin a run for his "Secret Weapon" label.

I don't think Babchuk falls into the category of "secret" anymore. I think teams are well aware of him out there. His shot is way too heavy not to get noticed. I don't think anyone wants to block that. And he has racked up a lot of goals lately. Babchuk=not secret. :] Which is fine with me.

Same. With the possibility that LaRose won't be with us next year, Babchuk is the obvious choice for me. Getting the raw end of the deal with this team and coming back and playing like he has, shows a lot of character from him.

I don't ever even want to think of that thought.......

Babchuk has been an absolute revelation this year though. I was one of the biggest critics of JR when he made this move and was still a critic half way into the season, but Babs has grown as a person and found how to get that booming blast of his on 'net. When he's confident, he's dangerous.

I really don't see LaRose going anywhere else, i think it will be a matter of $$ and length of contract. I think if JR offers up a three year deal then he will sign. I remember how happy Rosey was for a two year one way deal, you would have thought he won the lottery.

At the start of the season I posted a poll. I asked who would be our #4 defenseman after Corvo, Pitkanen, and Gleason.

Babchuk came in second after Seidenberg. So this board did have some notion of his potential, but I doubt anyone saw this coming.

Babchuk is tied for 8th in the league for goals by a defenseman (Corvo is there also). But Babchuk has played fewer games than anyone except Mike Green. Adjust for games played and Babchuk could be 4th or 5th in goals. Further he is second in the entire NHL for defenseman shooting %. Again, only bested by Mike Green.

And it's not just the booming slapshot. He handles the puck well in the offensive end. After Pitkanen and Corvo, he is probably the most skilled dman on the team. Further, he is no slouch on defense. His plus 13 is BEST ON THE TEAM even 2 better than Staal.

His emergence has the effect of a deadline deal for a top offensive dman.

We need to keep this guy, but it is going to cost us dearly. Still, pay up.

At the start of the season I posted a poll. I asked who would be our #4 defenseman after Corvo, Pitkanen, and Gleason.

Babchuk came in second after Seidenberg. So this board did have some notion of his potential, but I doubt anyone saw this coming.

Babchuk is tied for 8th in the league for goals by a defenseman (Corvo is there also). But Babchuk has played fewer games than anyone except Mike Green. Adjust for games played and Babchuk could be 4th or 5th in goals. Further he is second in the entire NHL for defenseman shooting %. Again, only bested by Mike Green.

And it's not just the booming slapshot. He handles the puck well in the offensive end. After Pitkanen and Corvo, he is probably the most skilled dman on the team. Further, he is no slouch on defense. His plus 13 is BEST ON THE TEAM even 2 better than Staal.

His emergence has the effect of a deadline deal for a top offensive dman.

We need to keep this guy, but it is going to cost us dearly. Still, pay up.

I'd say it's going to take at least 3 mil per season. But I'd sign him for that if I was JR. He's playing like an all-star quality defenseman.

Babchuk is an RFA, not UFA, per NHL Numbers. I'm not 100% sure of all the rules around that, but it should have a somewhat limiting affect on his potential salary unless someone submits an offer sheet.

I never had any issue with Babs coming back. I'm surprised he has come so far so fast - hard to believe he was press-box material early in the season. Where would he be now if not for Kabs' broken foot? Or, possibly, without the coaching change? Seemed like Lavi favored Kabs over Babs, though understandably so "way back then".

I really don't see LaRose going anywhere else, i think it will be a matter of $$ and length of contract. I think if JR offers up a three year deal then he will sign. I remember how happy Rosey was for a two year one way deal, you would have thought he won the lottery.

Well, it all depends on how Cole reacts. His point totals don't reflect the amount he's earning now, so he should be paid less. However, he knows and everyone knows that he makes Staal go, and that's worth the amount he's pad now. Ruutu's getting a raise, which could be high, considering his agent's a little.... Babchuk's getting a raise, though I'm sure it'll be a smaller one.

I'm with everyone else here in terms of Babs' evolution as a player. I was one of the loudest objectors to his re-signing (although it was because of his mutinous behavior as opposed to his skill set). But where I part ways with others here is the thought that we somehow "have to" sign him. We don't.

JR gave him a shot and he's responded, and that's absolutely terrific - but it is also icing on the cake. The cake itself on this d-squad are Corvo and Pitkanen, both of whom are equal or better than Babs in terms of being an offensive threat. Babs is still not as physical as his size allows him to be. You've got LaRose out there, in comparison a mosquito, taking runs at guys half again his size.

All of that said, don't get me wrong. It would be NICE to keep Babs if it makes economic sense, but he may be more valuable to us on the trading block. If so, we shouldn't think twice about it. He sure didn't when he chose to ditch our organization. I haven't forgotten that, and I don't think JR has, either.

I'm with everyone else here in terms of Babs' evolution as a player. I was one of the loudest objectors to his re-signing (although it was because of his mutinous behavior as opposed to his skill set). But where I part ways with others here is the thought that we somehow "have to" sign him. We don't.

JR gave him a shot and he's responded, and that's absolutely terrific - but it is also icing on the cake. The cake itself on this d-squad are Corvo and Pitkanen, both of whom are equal or better than Babs in terms of being an offensive threat. Babs is still not as physical as his size allows him to be. You've got LaRose out there, in comparison a mosquito, taking runs at guys half again his size.

All of that said, don't get me wrong. It would be NICE to keep Babs if it makes economic sense, but he may be more valuable to us on the trading block. If so, we shouldn't think twice about it. He sure didn't when he chose to ditch our organization. I haven't forgotten that, and I don't think JR has, either.

it would be absolutely idiotic to trade Babchuk. he's proving to be a very effective option from the blueline, will be an RFA and he's what 24? seriously... sure he made a bad decision, but now he's definitely a huge part of the team. also, if he makes outlandish contract demands during the offseason, like over 3mil, the draft picks we would get from the poaching team would be much better compensation than anything we would get in a trade...

Talk about holding grudges. What does this guy have to do to win you back over. His price will be sky rocketing but this organization also gave him a shot (x2) when Chicago threw him away. Maybe he'll remember that. If not, let some team throw out an offer sheet which could turn into nice picks for us.

he is an RFA so still ours for a few years. I think he has found a home here and will stay otherwise he would have just stayed in Russia, you forget he asked us to play again - not to be traded.

Talk about holding grudges. What does this guy have to do to win you back over. His price will be sky rocketing but this organization also gave him a shot (x2) when Chicago threw him away. Maybe he'll remember that. If not, let some team throw out an offer sheet which could turn into nice picks for us.

He could score a hat trick every night the rest of the season and he wouldn't win me over. But as I said, it's not about his play, which I agreed in my first post has been great. It's about his head. Let's see how much everybody likes him when he lets his recent performance swell it and he asks for over 3 million. And when it happens, don't say I didn't warn you.

:rolleyes:

No one's saying give him 3 million. If any of our upcoming UFAs/RFAs ask for much more than they're worth, then I'll be the first one giving them the "New Jersey goodbye". However, he has earned a raise, if only a small one, and obviously, the deal's got to be longer than a year.

If JR can get him for 1.5 for 2 years, or 1.7 for 3, that'd be great. Anything over 2 million is too much.

I was happy when he came back at the beginning of the year. young people do stupid things all the time. He has worked hard and earned back the respect of his teammates. Plus, he's got a bomb from the blue line.

We have 5 FA's that, money aside, I would resign:

Cole (UFA)

LaRose (UFA)

Ruutu (RFA)

Babchuk (RFA)

Jokinen (RFA)

I would love to keep them all, but doubt we will be able to. Staal's exntension kicks in next year, we have a laundry list of players that have escalating salaries (Gleason, Pitkanen, Samsonov). We are not going to be able to sign them all. We're I JR, I would do whatever it takes to resign Cole and Ruutu. That gives us a bonafide top line. I love Rosie, but if he asks for more than 1.2 a year or so, we need to let him go. My guess is that JR will tender the RFA's above 800K to ensure 1st round pick compensation, try and resign Cole and let Rosie walk (if he asks for too much money).

I'd say Larose was due a raise, 19 goals is nothing to scoff at but I thought he got way overpaid last time he got signed. I'd maybe goto 1.5 at the most and see if his stats continue to improve.

I was happy when he came back at the beginning of the year. young people do stupid things all the time. He has worked hard and earned back the respect of his teammates. Plus, he's got a bomb from the blue line.

We have 5 FA's that, money aside, I would resign:

Cole (UFA)

LaRose (UFA)

Ruutu (RFA)

Babchuk (RFA)

Jokinen (RFA)

I would love to keep them all, but doubt we will be able to. Staal's exntension kicks in next year, we have a laundry list of players that have escalating salaries (Gleason, Pitkanen, Samsonov). We are not going to be able to sign them all. We're I JR, I would do whatever it takes to resign Cole and Ruutu. That gives us a bonafide top line. I love Rosie, but if he asks for more than 1.2 a year or so, we need to let him go. My guess is that JR will tender the RFA's above 800K to ensure 1st round pick compensation, try and resign Cole and let Rosie walk (if he asks for too much money).

you have to remember that Brindy's salary drops next year so there is $1mil.

I'd say Larose was due a raise, 19 goals is nothing to scoff at but I thought he got way overpaid last time he got signed. I'd maybe goto 1.5 at the most and see if his stats continue to improve.

Ya, LaRose is going to be tricky. He is a heart and soul guy who has been clutch this year. I would be willing to slightly overpay for him in that sense. But there are a lot of guys out there who hit that 20 goal plateau once and never again, I am thinking about a guy named Hamilton and another named Eaves (though I do think Eaves can get there again) and others. We can't pay him like guy who has several 20 goal seasons yet.

Still, I do think he could do it again, and he brings so much extra to the team. Tough one. Ideally we can pay him like a guy with 20 goal potential, plus a little extra, but not a perenial 20 goal scorer. How much would that be?