The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
KeyWestCorona

Babchuk has come a long long way!

I agree with Top Shelf to a point. Babs has been great lately with the accolades he's given to the fans, but we didn't hear him saying much stuff to that sort of effect when he struggled early on. It wouldn't be totally out of the question for him to ask for an outrageous salary based on one year of performance. I have liked him since he's gotten his confidence back and I hope he's truly had a change of heart.

Personally I would like to see Rutuu, Cole and LaRose signed in front of Babchuk. LaRose needs to be signed before Jussi though. I like Jussi, but LaRose means a lot more to this team than just the close to 20 goals he's put up. He's an elite penalty killer and an absolute heart and soul guy.

My points exactly, 'canes n' bosox, and I thank you for reinforcing them. Just don't be surprised if some on the well-represented Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows contingent on this thread label you "negative." :lol:

I went out of my way to say that Babs has come a long way on the ice and that he's impressed me with his performance. The unknown quantity is whether he has matured. As someone else noted (and I have in the past) he refuses to mix it up until someone gets under his skin. That's a sure sign of immaturity that can lead to really dumb penalties. HERE'S HOPING HE'S GROWN EMOTIONALLY WHEN IT COMES TO COMPENSATION (I put it in caps so the SLRs don't miss it), and can become that long-term, great point man we need. Time will tell.

On your other choices, 'cn'b, I agree with you with the possible exception of Cole. Much to chagrin of the SLRs, I'm sticking to my guns: Eric Staal has to learn to play with talent, not the talent of his choosing. If Cole helps him in the near term, fine, but sooner or later Colesy retires, and the notion that you pay a guy what we're paying Staal AND he has to have a certain guy on his wing to boot is ridiculous. It's hockey, take a lesson from Brindy and get out there and work. My jury remains out that Staal is willing to do that all year, game in and game out. If that makes me a tough fan or (gasp!) negative, so be it.

My points exactly, 'canes n' bosox, and I thank you for reinforcing them. Just don't be surprised if some on the well-represented Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows contingent on this thread label you "negative." :lol:

I went out of my way to say that Babs has come a long way on the ice and that he's impressed me with his performance. The unknown quantity is whether he has matured. As someone else noted (and I have in the past) he refuses to mix it up until someone gets under his skin. That's a sure sign of immaturity that can lead to really dumb penalties. HERE'S HOPING HE'S GROWN EMOTIONALLY WHEN IT COMES TO COMPENSATION (I put it in caps so the SLRs don't miss it), and can become that long-term, great point man we need. Time will tell.

On your other choices, 'cn'b, I agree with you with the possible exception of Cole. Much to chagrin of the SLRs, I'm sticking to my guns: Eric Staal has to learn to play with talent, not the talent of his choosing. If Cole helps him in the near term, fine, but sooner or later Colesy retires, and the notion that you pay a guy what we're paying Staal AND he has to have a certain guy on his wing to boot is ridiculous. It's hockey, take a lesson from Brindy and get out there and work. My jury remains out that Staal is willing to do that all year, game in and game out. If that makes me a tough fan or (gasp!) negative, so be it.

I'll just say that we will probabaly disagree on about 90% of your beliefs. Staal led the enitre NHL Playoffs in points in 2006 with Cole only playing in 2 games. I would say that Staal has played his best hockey when it matters the most. The end of last year when Brindy went down he put the team on his back and he has dominated every Star player in the league when playing head to head at the end of this year.

But like every time there is a discussion you seem to want to bring up Staal. So lets get back to the thread. Has Babchuk come a long way? One word answer YES!!!!

Nope, don't want to be right. Just am. :rolleyes:

I'll have to disagree. Just go back in read your comments about the Cole trade being the worst of all time or your rants about how this team will never accomplish anything. Just read your letter to the Owner about firing JR and I would say you might have been wrong about 50 times this year. :)